Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah uh can we get nomura back please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's going to be great when I have to rely on this game's almost-sure-to-be-braindead party AI to save me from a situation instead of just being able to take control or give orders.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

All you do in every other Final Fantasy game is mash X though?
I mean, it's not exactly the pinnacle of gameplay but I don't know why people are taking issue with it now.

Other FFs are not action RPGs

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's news. Should we just not talk about it?

I'm reacting to what the man is saying right now in 2014, not some hypothetical event in the future where the game turns out to be completely different.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

Lots of game companies have art and poo poo from their games in their offices. Blizzard has like twenty giant statues of Warcraft characters.

Considering Chris Metzen and Thrall, maybe not the best example to use here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

in case anyone was wondering, years later and the comments on this video are still hilarious

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrXNBevqFk

Dissidia trailer

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
kinda bummed y'shtola is the FFXIV representative in everything now especially a game that doesn't need another loving mage but hey japan gonna do what japan do

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah everyone shits on Lahabrea for being a whiny wimp and not taking the Echo seriously

he also seems like a chump strength wise compared to the rest of the Ascians

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just did those quests today and that kind of won me over on him, but also FUUUUUUUUUUCK everything about the Doma subplot simply because I had to do 20 lovely baby missions of busy work before I even started thinking about unlocking Leviathan.

But the Doma kid stuff is great because it actually lets you form some semblance of a personality for your character

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
play FFXIV it's a good game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people who hate cait sith are no friends of mine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh don't worry guys we're safe from iscar matthias

quote:

Reply #918 on: Yesterday at 20:46:40
Announcement:

It's with a bit of regret (especially given how much I loathe this crappy, useless character) that I have decided to remove the Cait Sith replacement project. The fact is, I have too many projects to undertake, both here and in my private life to warrant correcting yet another problem in FF7. I am not ready to say I will never start/finish the mod, but for meow it's removed from the Reunion and will stay that way until I am satisfied all other projects are completed. It's still unlikely that it will be completed. I did have some nice ideas about how to go about the mod too, the writing side wouldn't have been a problem.

Cait Sith was a huge dose of stupid by the writing team. When you have a big, white, stuffed toy + robot cat character that speaks Scottish, breaking all suspension of disbelief, bouncing about during a serious scene (like Aerith's death)- you know someone has been stupid in the writing department. It really shouldn't be up to us to sort these issues- all it took was someone with a modicum of sense.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
to be fair though if any FF game needs a retranslation it's definitely VII

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there is no correct solution cait sith owns bones

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like his limit breaks.

Dice is great!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

so am i the only one who noticed 'but for meow'

I copy-pasted from a forum that has a word filter that changes all instances of now to meow to gently caress with people

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Let's mosey" and bits of character like that are great. Typos and obscured plot points because the translation was banged out in an evening in Square's basement is not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like if Climhazzard was a mistake it would have gotten fixed in one of the like four or five other games it appears in

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Evil Fluffy posted:

My point was it's a terrible game, one that could kill the Star Ocean franchise (like Suikoden 4 did to that series), but maybe it's loved despite being that terrible of a game. Even the combat system was a single player barebones version of what Tales games have had since Symphony at the least.

it sold well on release only because it was one of the only JRPGs on Xbox 360 at the time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This has probably been talked about but I have roughly 200,000 posts unread in this thread so I'm just going to throw it out here:

the first chapter of the new (and I'm pretty sure first?) Final Fantasy manga has maybe the meanest twist ending I've ever seen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"I don't like chiptunes" is definitely an opinion that will get traction in the final fantasy thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Golden Goat posted:

Not to sidetrack everybody on Meyers-Briggs bad opinions but is FFXIV hopping across different dimensions? Cause I see in the latest expansion you're fighting a lot of FFV stuff.

references to FF stuff in XIV is done in the context of the universe, ie. all the FFIII reference raids repurpose characters from that game as part of an ancient empire, Ultros and Typhon are failed magic experiments, and the FFV bosses are characters from ancient stories made real

the exceptions to this are Gilgamesh, who is of course just Gilgamesh, and Lightning in the FFXIII event from a few years back who was just randomly dropped into Eorzea pre-Lightning Returns

jury is out on how the Ivalice stuff is going to work

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

precision posted:

Mage Masher is the best worst translation ever

isn't it the right translation

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the real reason to have a thief is that ninjas are cool

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DrakeD posted:

Here i am! I was a very shy kid and i could relate with Squall a lot.
FFVIII was finally a game where the protagonist had real hosed up problems interacting with others and i loved every minute of it; i can easily see why 90% of the people couldn't stand it tho.

this 100% makes the Shinji Ikari comparison work for me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The White Dragon posted:

the problem with him is that he isn't supposed to be shy or reserved. tetsuya nomura clearly thinks squall is the coolest, baddest motherfucker to ever have walked the face of the earth

This isn't true at all though. You see his internal monologue all over the place in FF8. He's absolutely faking it because he doesn't know what else to do.

Also Nomura didn't write or direct FF8 so beyond character design and I guess Squall's personality in Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia I'm not sure what he has to do with it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 19, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dragon Quest is fine but I've personally never not ended up bored by them and I rather have FF than a franchise where I have to listen to dooty fart midis composed by a racist homophobic war crimes denier.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

corn in the bible posted:

SaGa Frontier......

SaGa Frontier screwed SaGa Frontier

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cait Sith was my FF7 blue mage and highly effective

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

Yeah but I mean putting it on an actual good character that will always be used and is likeable.

Yeah so did I

can you read my posts okay??

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They are never going to spend the money to get someone to touch the FFT script again, assuming that game even ever gets a port

I don't even get the complaints, really. Flowery semi-Shakespearean dialogue fits with the tone of the game way better than barely translated gibberish.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 27, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait what is this "FF XII has no character development" thing

like the entire game is about Ashe going from revenge-obsessed crazy to actual leader

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love everything about FFVIII except for the part where you actually play it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the lesson I took away from crisis core was that zack rules

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elephant Ambush posted:

13. It owns (except for the story (and Snow(gently caress Snow))).

nothing could have been a more perfect capstone to the massive disappointment that is Dissidia NT than the last DLC character being Snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean if we're counting the Gundam Versus series under that banner it's a bit of a spicy take