Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm excited for the FFX HD remake just because I no longer have a PS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's not like it would really take any extra effort to use the International version of FFX since it had the English voices and you could choose to make all the text English as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

What was different in the international version of VII?
Strangely it was a reverse situation in that case, Square added a bunch of stuff for the U.S. release (such as Emerald and Ruby Weapons), then released the U.S. version as FFVII International in Japan with a bonus disc that was an encyclopedia of sorts for the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zell's pretty much just wearing those huge JNCO jorts that were so popular when I was in middle school in the mid-late 90s

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

All I'm saying, they're out of excuses not to make Versus their next big release. I'll be pretty disappointed if it doesn't have a serious showing at E3 or TGS or anything.
Square Enix already announced their list of games showing at E3, FF Versus XIII wasn't on it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS and Android, which is probably a port of that cellphone game Warriors of Light and Darkness since it has the same logo. Was that game supposed to be good? It has a job system and everything so I'm excited for it :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.
You can play the PSX version as a PSOne Classic on PSP but it has pretty bad load times and a lovely translation. The GBA version is considered the best since it has updated graphics, a new translation and a post-game dungeon/jobs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm actually hella thinking about this too since I never actually beat FF5 and I'm almost done with FF4!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone interested in checking out how FFV plays should give Dr Pepper's low-level Let's Play a read. He abuses the gently caress out of the game mechanics and manages to steamroll most bosses even though his party is at levels 5/4/4/4 at the end of the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

I registered for Hard Mode earlier, and I'll probably end up doing it on the PSX version, since I kinda want to see if the translation's as hilariously awful as I remember (Salsa for a character name immediately springs to mind).
It gives Faris a terrible stereotypical pirate accent, for one

And yes, they translate Faris' real name as Salsa instead of Sarisa

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VagueRant posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how footage that doesn't come close to showing any gameplay or telling a story can build hype. I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!
Hell, any hype is mind-boggling when you consider the track record of Square-Enix.

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?
Nah, FF1 was the first I played as a wee lad, but I'd say 6 and 9 are probably my favorites now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To be fair though, FF1 was my first RPG period and I had no idea what I was doing despite having the Nintendo Power strategy guide. FF6 was probably the first where I really understood the game mechanics to any significant degree.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm really happy to see that so many people count 9 as their favorite since internet opinion on it seems to vacillate a lot. I've always loved it and thought it was charming as hell. The only thing I would really change about it is the slowness of combat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFV GBA also has totally redrawn battle backgrounds that look really nice :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got Thief as my first job, just got to the ship graveyard. Grinding on skeletons just to get a couple of daggers so Lenna and Galuf can actually do some damage, but they haven't dropped one yet! Not looking forward to Siren unless I can get them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Any tips for beating Garula with Thieves besides grinding up levels? He keeps killing me even with the Elven Mantle :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks guys. Beat Garula pretty easily, I never usually bother changing rows in FF games. Got Summoner as my second job.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LoudLoudNoise posted:

My line-up is Thief Summoner Geomancer Dragoon so I can offer some advice for the early sections of the game if you're having trouble with those first two classes.
Thanks, I may take you up on that if I get stuck :) Just beat Liquid Flame in four turns since I got Shiva.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Made it out of Karnak Castle with 9 seconds to spare but all treasures got! Next job is... Bard. Huh. I have a use for playing all those pianos at least...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

With Thief/Summoner/Bard so far, every single boss past Garula has been really easy. Bard isn't much use in boss battles besides giving everybody regen, but I've basically just been spamming one of the elemental summons and using two thieves for alternately attacking and healing. Beat Adamantoise, ready to head up to the flying ruins...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vil posted:

And for randoms, of course, being able to inflict stop or confuse on the entire enemy party is awesome. Though so is having your thief just !Flee from everything that you don't have a particular motivation to kill.
Yeah I have the Stop and Confuse songs as well and they're great for random encounters, plus Bartz's turn always comes up first so I gave him Flee for whenever I just don't feel like fighting. Chicken Knife here I come!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hahahaha I got Chemist for my last job. Doesn't that pretty much mean easymode for the rest of the game?

Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist. Pretty good team I think. What do I do about jobs until my fourth party member returns?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MrAristocrates posted:

So, I just started this up:

Oh, this could be painful.

Edit: Also, what's the rule for skills? Am I allowed to put skills for one of my other three jobs on a character once I've unlocked those crystals? The answer's probably no, but I'd like to be clear.
Thief's not that bad. When you get to the Ship Graveyard, just walk around fighting skeletons for a while until you get enough Daggers for everyone. You can rest inside Faris's ship.

You can use any skills you've learned when you switch jobs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vil posted:

Sup fellow Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist buddy. :):hf::)

Yeah, it's a pretty easymode team after the initial Thief/Thief/Thief/Thief segment. Admittedly a little lacking in non-magical damage output, but very versatile and survivable. See how far you can get without too much level grinding.
Haven't had to really do any so far, and luckily I can either !Flee from encounters or !Sing the enemies Stopped :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

With my Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist party so far the game has been easy as poo poo, I'm doing all the tablet dungeons pretty much just for shits and giggles. For the most part I've had more Gil than I know what to do with.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hooray!

Exdeath went out like a chump, and Neo Exdeath wasn't much harder. Definitely trying the hard mode next time. This was also the first time I ever beat FFV :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm pretty sure the PSP version is identical to the GBA version besides graphics, meaning you can choose your party for the endgame and the new section of Mt. Ordeals and Lunar Ruins added in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, I don't agree with everything you said but you definitely make some fair points there about adding some complexity to make up for the automation. I think FFXII works best when you're underleveled for content as even the automation doesn't make up for the challenge and you're constantly tinkering or overriding things to go with the flow. I did the Gilgamesh fights at a very low level and it was probably one of the enjoyable and challenging boss fight in any FF game I've played. The fighting becomes rote when you have god equipment or are just facing little wolves in the desert though.
I finished the FFV4JF last week and I was amazed how low my party's levels were at the end of the game - between 30-35. Probably the lowest I've beaten an FF game at (besides FFVIII but that's a whole other level of breakable).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

I know this has been discussed, but I can't find the specific posts to save my life. I want to get FFV and VI, are the ones up for purchase on PSN utterly horrible, or are they serviceable
enough for a play through? I know the GBA versions are pretty much better, but those seem to be hard to track down for a reasonable price.
Long loading times, and FFV has a pretty awful translation (Wyvern -> Y-Burn :confused:) They're definitely still playable and will do you in a pinch, but the GBA version of FFV is absolutely the best. The GBA version of FFVI isn't that much of an improvement over the SNES version though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

The loading times aren't super-long on FFV, at least- the battles load a LOT faster than FFIX, for example. The one second load to get into the menu is probably the worst of it. Also, FFV on PSN is often criticized over it's translation, but it seems like different teams were doing the monsters compared to everything else. The monsters have retarded names (Soccer for a squid monster?), but nothing else in the game is that bad. Nothing else in the game has bad grammar (this guy are sick!) or is confusing at all. It IS a pretty bland translation, though.

Really, the biggest issue with the PSX version is weird graphical glitching sometimes when you try to save, but it's harmless and I don't know if that even occurs on the PSN version.
I dunno, Faris's pirate talk is pretty bad. The GBA translation still had her talk like a sailor but it seemed a lot more natural. Also, "Princess Salsa"

EDIT: Full disclosure, I haven't played FFV PSX since I owned FF Anthology back when it came out in 1999, mainly going on what I remember and what other people have said about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's totally a reference to Lethal Weapon, and probably not influenced by FF7.
Square Enix is getting too old for this poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think you could make an interesting sequel to FFVI about rebuilding the world and the struggles that come along with it. Of course from Squeenix it would turn out to be ham-fisted as gently caress so maybe not.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cyberbob posted:

Seconded. Each summon is about as long as FFVII's KOTR.

Example: Eden.
FFIX did summons rights by having an extended summon animation when you first summoned an eidolon, and then a shortened animation that would play after that (though it would randomly play the extended animation on occasion).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cardboard Fox posted:

I believe the length of the animations were completely random. The longer animation did the most damage, while the shorter one did fewer damage.

Fister Roboto posted:

Correct. You could also equip an ability to always use the extended animation.
Hoisted by my own petard :negative:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

X is pretty linear for a while like XIII is, but I found the gameplay and character progression much more satisfying in X for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Artix74 posted:

So have we found anything really terrible like Ubi-style DRM, or is it just the original cleaned up a tiny bit? If there's nothing appalling about it, I'll probably pick it up. Worst case scenario, it can just be modded and fixed up a bit.
I think when it briefly appeared on Square Enix's website a couple weeks back that it was found to have Securom.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man the beginning of FF9 is slower than I remember.
It is. I've restarted it more than a few times and quit after getting bored. I think my attention span is a hell of a lot shorter than it used to be when I was a teenager. However I managed to get past it when I started a new playthrough a couple months ago and it gets so much better :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krad posted:

Figures that the newest game with the best character designs is the one they refuse to release (Versus).
I don't think it's that they refuse to release it so much as the game barely actually exists because Nomura is terrible at directing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is a weird question, but in FF9 when you advance disks, does the game require you to use previous disks to return to other areas for side quests? I know other games did and it's been a very long time since I last played 9. I'm replaying it using an android ps1 emulator and I want to be able to delete the giant rom files for each disk as I'm done with them to conserve memory space on my phone.
Nope, none of the FF games for PSX games ever require you to use a previous disc. In fact, the discs all have identical game data on them, the only difference is the FMVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

I love how HD has lost all meaning here.

That was clearly not HD. I could count the polygons, dammit!
HD only ever refers to resolution, not polygon count or anything else