Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I really don't think Disgaea's that good in terms of customization. It's really just a game for people who like anime and really big numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Azure_Horizon posted:

The game plays itself? So Noel and Serah just do things without you pressing any buttons? drat, when did we get an FF12-2?

I wish we had instead of the FF13 games, tbqh.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't. I don't need more games that are sleep aids.

:stat: you've already got enough aids!
:stat::wal: doh hoh hoh hoh

Mansion Maniac posted:

Every time I look at Nomura's designs, my heart cries out more for Yoshitaka Amano. Between him, Sakaguchi, and Uematsu, :iiam: even to me why I haven't abandoned SE for Mistwalker.

Nomura's designs on the PS1 were fine, albeit simple, and they've been fine (and a good bit more sophisticated) on the PS3/360. It's just that his FFX/FFX-2/Kingdom Hearts 1+2/Dirge of Cerberus period was pretty dang bad and it's also precisely what people stereotype his character design as (i.e. wholly impractical clothing completely laden with every single bangle and accessory imaginable).

Lightning and Fang in particular are excellent designs, as are Noctis and Stella and the two father-figure looking dudes from Versus.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Eh, I think ornateness of detail has always been a part of the original character designs (Amano's drawings and paintings are always immensely busy). I don't have a problem with that whether it's Nomura or Amano doing it.

Also, IIRC, Amano didn't *actually* design the FF9 characters.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 17, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, the designs in XII were excellent, apart from Vaan and Penelo (surprise!). And yes, Vaan's revised sky-pirate costume for the spinoffs was far superior.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

I love amano's designs, but it might look weird to see them recreated faithfully in 3d. All his characters kinda have the same brooding robert pattinson face.

I think the biggest problem with his designs is seeing them *animated* in 3D. Yes, I've seen the animated works based on his designs, but I still think it wouldn't look like a moving Amano painting unless you're one of those people who thinks that things like framing and composition aren't immensely loving important to Amano's art.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

I do not believe for a second that he was the one who made the decision to shoehorn those settings together. Hell, he left squeenix shortly after FFXII was finished.

Um, he was the person who made that decision. The problem was that FFXII was supposed to come out BEFORE Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it got pushed back by like three or four years. FFT:A was supposed to be a spinoff of FFXII in which some kids who had played FFXII went into an imaginary world based on the game they had played.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

I'll admit that makes way more sense, but it still reeks of an executive decision, a la making vaan the main character against matsuno's wishes.

Eh, I don't think making the world more diverse was an executive decision. Final Fantasy Tactics even has stuff like an area description that mentions that the moogles are extinct during the time when FFT takes place. FFXII happens during the golden age of airships and not-yet-extinct moogles and poo poo. The world's supposed to be quite different from it is during FFT.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of The Judges, what do people think of their designs?

Like everything else in XII, I thought the villains were the best and their outfits are no exceptions.
Yeah, the judges were really excellent designs.

Mak0rz posted:

The problem I have with that CG render there is her pose. Isn't Ashe supposed to be the "tough, independent girl" character? That image just makes her look timid.

Yeah, what I like about Ashe is that she's a mourning widow who's pretty much hell-bent on genocidal revenge for a good 80% of the game. She's a fun protagonist because she's clearly insane with grief.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

Fair enough, I guess I can learn to hate matsuno for ruining his own awesome setting, if I really have to.

Though I definitely would have received it better if they hadn't led with the wrong foot. I liked the relative maturity of FFT compared to the other games they were putting out, and a storyline with little solipsist children did not do good things for my opinion of the company.

It's not like Ivalice is ruined (well, not by anything except for Matsuno's departure). You could still have awesome games set in different parts of its history (like Vagrant Story) that might be closer to the sort of mood that you want (except they're probably not gonna make any more Ivalice games now that he's gone unless they're more FFTA games).

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

Speaking of which, Is the plot of vagrant story worth putting up with the obtuse mechanics? I heard good things about the setting, and bad things about the gameplay. If it helps, I really don't care for weapon AP systems like ffta.

Vagrant Story's a weird case in that it's a pretty reasonable system that happened to be very, very badly in need of some kind of actual goddamn tutorial. You shouldn't FAQ your way through the game, but I suggest doing a bit of reading up on it. And yeah, Vagrant Story's story is fantastic.

If you're interested, I suggest starting with this archived OP, to which I contributed a pretty good deal: http://chode.org/misc/vs/

The one other bit of advice I'd offer for VS, even if it seems kind of cheesy, is that there are some potions you get in the game which grant you a stat bonus which is randomly worked out from +1 to +4. If you want to make sure the game will be extra breezy, save before using them and reload if you don't get +3 or +4.

A lot of people suggest using three weapons instead of six, but I think six is the way to go because you can get marginally more suitable blade types and so on for a given monster type.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 18, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Back on the topic of character designs, there is one design I've seen Amano get a lot of poo poo for and that's Paladin Cecil. Then again, Paladin Cecil gets a lot of poo poo anyway. Everyone wants their precious Dark Knight with his Instant Kill sword and Darkness.

Eh, that sword's overrated and just seems really awesome because you can grind out levels for Palom and Porom on the Zu with it. It still doesn't do good damage or anything.

Darkness is pretty sweet though and it's pretty awesome and useful to keep it around in FFIV DS even if the move is totally different in that game (it's still cool).

edit: for those who don't know, the original Darkness attack (which, IIRC, you don't get to use in FF2US) essentially consumes something like 10% of Cecil's max HP and does a medium amount of darkness-elemental damage to all enemies. In FFIV DS, using the move casts an aura on Cecil for the next three turns that makes his attacks do an extra 25% (iirc) damage and consume 10% of his health when he attacks. Basically, the move got revamped to be more useful in boss fights and less useful against regular enemies.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 20, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
The movie's character designs (outside of Barret's goofy mesh shirt) were pleasantly muted, at least.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
It shouldn't be a surprise that FF8's story is a bit of a mess; it was constructed from a bunch of ideas that didn't make it into FF7. Edea was originally supposed to be in FF7, for example; so was the whole sorceress-and-her-knight thing.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, the World of Ruin could have been improved somewhat dialogue-wise, but it's still pretty goddamn awesome when it comes to the actual structure of that part of the game. It's pretty cool to have your party 'lose,' then spend the second half of the game getting everyone back together *and* becoming ridiculously overpowered in the process with the new spells and equipment you pick up in the game's second half.

If they ever remake FF6, though, I'd rather see the World of Ruin (a) have a lot of character-specific dialogue depending upon who you bring along with you, and (b) implement some sort of quest-based level scaling, so that if you'd (e.g.) recruited a character, or completed the Tower of Magi, or beaten the Dirt Dragon, or bought an Esper at the Auction House, the monsters along other such quest-type objectives would get minor stat boosts in proportion to the number of things you had completed, in such a way that'd provide a smooth difficulty curve for the entire World of Ruin instead of making the game get easier and easier and easier.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
You know what I miss that was handled really well in FFX and FFX-2? Weapons and/or equipment that are clearly 'ultimate' and definitively better than basically anything else you could be using. It'd have been so easy to do that in XIII and XIII-2 and it's disappointing that they didn't.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 24, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Pretty sure I only upgraded Lightning's and Vanille's weapons (not even to their :siren:ultimates:siren:) in XIII because it's literally inconsequential if you don't. Grinding for all the screws and poo poo you need to do it is a frustrating timesink anyway.

Oh hey something else XIII has in common with VIII :downs:

The 'ultimate' weapons in XIII were kinda trash anyway because some were definitively better than others but it wasn't worth actually taking the time to grind out several of them to level 100 just to pick which one you wanted. Should've had a fourth tier that had the top stats and all actually helpful abilities from all of a character's available lv. 4 weapons, or something.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really glad it didn't have that honestly. Having one weapon which is just objectively better than all others is boring. I wish they'd actually done better about balancing the weapons so that they were all valid choices.

It's not boring if you balance postgame enemies so that they're still challenging with that equipment.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It is to me because it limits your build to "equip this weapon." FFXIII screwed it up, but if you had multiple valid weapon choices with their own pluses and negatives, then it would actually add extra potential choice to the game.

FF6, 7, 8, and 9 handled this perfectly well while still having pretty obvious 'best' weapons. FFX-2, also (FFX's ultimate weapons were pretty rockin' but the ideal armor build was pretty obvious). FFXIII could also handle it perfectly well by having 'best' weapons but keeping its current level of variety on the accessory side of things (or greater variety, in fact, since too many of the accessories were pretty boring and had little to nothing in the way of unique effects).

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't think any of them handled it well actually. I found it incredibly boring that there was a "best" weapon and I just got it, equipped it, and was done. FFVII at least theoretically asked you to equip other poo poo to level materia up.

I don't understand why you'd want lesscustomization from weapons? What benefit does having one ultimate weapon have over having a variety of weapons with their own uses? I guess that's what I don't get. Why would you want one choice over multiple choices when it comes to character builds?

FF9 was excellent about it because the stat boosts (and elemental boosts/elemental defense) in that game mattered a great deal.

It's not that I want less customization, it's that I want less of what FFXIII and FFXIII-2 had where every supposedly top-tier weapon feels terribly hobbled in some way compared to each of the others. And, frankly, I really prefer the essential core of game design we've had in FFX, X-2, XII, XIII, and XIII-2 where it's less about character customization and more about actually making the battles themselves engaging (which, frankly, they usually were not in the old ATB days). Both sorts is excellent, but to me customization is much more about abilities and less about stats. Bring back the job system for gently caress's sake.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

That's good game balance though. Tradeoffs and exploiting strengths/covering weaknesses is what keeps things interesting.

If you like good game balance then get the gently caress out of the final fantasy thread because the entire point of the series is to find ways utterly break the gameplay.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I think I finally understand all the hate for FF13.

FF13 has a delicious super-smooth difficulty curve, though the learning curve is too shallow for too much of the game. But the difficulty curve completely breaks down with the postgame content; there's a certain set of stuff (3rd tier weapons, double-CP accessory, assorted other top-tier accessories) that you basically need to abuse the game and/or grind for hours and hours to obtain, which is why you see so many strategies featuring abuse of Vanille's 'Death' spell in order to beat a bunch of the game's toughest bosses. FFXIII's balance completely breaks down and it actually *makes* you break it if you want to finish a lot of the game's toughest content.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Himuro posted:

Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

That's almost certainly fake, because it's much, much too good to be true.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

My four job fiesta was Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dancer. As far as damage goes, Red Mage is nearly useless late-game, Blue Mage is situational, and Dancer is highly unreliable. For a good part of the game, I was relying on the Geomancer skill for most of my damage. Sure, the damage was usually pretty crappy, but it was free!

Can't you doublecast Blue magic with !Blue and !Doublecast? I feel like that would be pretty goddamned potent for defensive purposes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Miracon posted:

I did not know this existed. Does a patch to restore spell quotes also exist?

Oh man that would be the best.