Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Excels posted:

They spelled "Star Ocean" correctly in the title.
That was a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

My favorite part of any FF is in 6 where the bad guy actually manages to destroy most of the world. Pretty bleak poo poo going through all the places you'd been before, and having to get your party members back. Naming Edgar "Gerad" at the beginning of the game makes for a nice dumb joke after the apocalypse.

Spoilered for those who haven't played it I guess.

Also beating Kefka and saving the day doesn't really fix anything. Magic is totally gone, all of the magicite dissolves, and the world as a whole is still a complete mess. The ending is pretty cheerful with the escape sequence and character credit roll, but dang, it's still a bummer.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, "Someday The Dream Will End" has to be the most perfect song for capturing X's atmosphere. If you could pick one song off the entire soundtrack to summarize "this... this is Final Fantasy X", it would have to be that song.

I haven't played FFX in 10~ years, and I honestly forgot about this track. My brain always defaults to To Zanarkand whenever I think of the game.

It's so magical. :allears:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

No Crazy Chocobo in the XIII-2 section. :negative:

So you think you can tap to this chocobo?

Are we in hell?! I don't know!

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

mateo360 posted:

Why must Chocobos be part of some annoying mini-game?

Chocobo Hot & Cold is the best FF mini-game featuring the best mini-game music

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Guys.

Four Job Fiesta is happening in a little over a month.

Get pumped.

I played through casually last month in anticipation :allears:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Imagine how many rods you could break in that length of time

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I wasn't available for last years so maybe that's why I'm so excited

#berserkerrisk :getin:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Mog posted:

Where's FF: Type 0? Where's a new Tactics game?

The FF: Type-0 fan translation will be out on 8 August 2014 so it's not all bad.

For FFT you get Final Fantasy Tactics S a mobile social game. Thanks squeenix!

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I would worry that Final Fantasy airship shanties would end up being Real Emotion.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

SpectreGhost posted:

I was wondering if they changed it for the HD release because I was never sure if it was a typo or as a result of Sin's "toxin."

always and forever

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've never played through FFIV, I've twice gotten to the part where I get Edge, but that's where my willpower ends. Should I try to power thropugh it? Is it worth it? I just find the game a bit boring, especially compared to FFV's excellent gameplay.

I love FFIV, but I also recognize that it's pretty heavily influenced by nostalgia. It's not going to wow you with gameplay when compared to FFV or FFVI.

You may not want to start over at this point, but if you try it again I'd recommend playing the hard type/JPN version with a translation patch. They stripped out a lot of stuff for the NA release, including flat out removing player abilities, spells, and items, and it falls flat if you don't remember it fondly.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wasn't the last boss basically the head of the IT department of a higher dimension?

Luther Lansfeld. He's literally a computer programmer who created sphere.

I would say "at least you aren't fighting the sudden ~evil embodiment of death and the universe~" but you basically are, it's just, uh, the programmer version of that.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

Grand Cross.

Spookiest boss theme.

I really enjoyed Saber’s Edge, and that was definitely after VIII.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
XII was chill but uneventful. XIII balanced the line between engaging soundtrack and accompanying score pretty well. Shimomura on XV should be awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah man, it's THE Chocobo theme.

uhhh crazy chocobo??

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 2, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Play them both at the same time.

Are we in hell?!

Yes

We are

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Syrant posted:

Her bit on the turret at the extraction/escap for Dollet bought her a shitload of credit for me. I thought that was the most bad-rear end thing... until I saw Galbadia board Balamb garden.

Quistis and Irvine are the best characters. So are Freya and Amarant.

Too bad they're also the least developed, or just outright abandoned after their tiny story arcs wrap up.

e: or maybe that's why they're the best

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

And now that I've managed to find nostalgia for bad ROM translations, I'm gonna go shoot myself in the face.

There's no shame in that there's probably a lot of shame in that

I too have a lot of nostalgia for Phantasia/Star Ocean/Bahamut Lagoon DeJap translations, and the miscellaneous Filena/Live a Live/SaGa/Front Mission/Fire Emblem translations that were very hit-or-miss

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Amano's art manages to make most of the goofiest or most mediocre stuff in the series look alright.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Wonder what the girl is pointing at.

Amano art is the best. :3:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Has anyone played or finished the new iOS port of FFVI? It looks very pretty but I've been leery about trying any of them because they're pricy for mobile games.

Personally I would advise against it

(although I think the Espier typo has been patched)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

Since "Ultima, the Nice Body" is a track and they have a tendency to use final bosses, I'd bet Altima is in there. It would be boss if Wiegraf was one of the other enemies, though.

Did any of the original Theatrhythm bosses have multiple forms? I'd love to see Delacroix transform into Cuchulainn after enough damage or time elapsed, or Wiegraf into Belias. Better yet stack them back-to-back and blend Trisection/Antipyretic into Ultima.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Gafgarion would also pretty sweet. Tactics has such a great cast of antagonists, I can't even start. :allears:

That would be awesome :allears: I just outright want more FFT representation in the game. A fast-paced piece like Unavoidable Battle, Tension 1, or Apoplexy would be so perfect for a more intense, difficult track. Clash on the Big Bridge fits that role pretty well, but there needs to be even more.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

At the very least, why haven't we gotten a third Chrono game!?

Chrono Break is still coming man. You gotta have faith.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Registration opens on 1 June. There is not a thread here yet, but will be soon I assume.

e:

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm making it when I get to work tomorrow. :)

yay :)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

alcharagia posted:

The best video game, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, is 6-8 hours.

You can't waste any time when B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S. is on the move.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also Uemtasu had just bought a sweetass guitar and got his sound engineers to sample it, which is why one of the earlier FFVIII OSTs has some tracks labelled "featuring Mr. Uematsu's Stratocaster" or something along those lines.

Mods de Chocobo ft. his telecaster

I have no idea why I retained that

Jibo posted:

I wanted to disagree with this and say that FF9 and possibly FF5 is better but then I sat and listened to all three and I think FF7 really does have the best overworld theme. Especially back in the day when you first land outside of Midgar and the whole world opens up, it was a really fitting piece of music.

Yeah, FF7's really does a great job of conveying "by the way there's a whole world to explore too," especially the swell it builds up to.

FF9's was super chill. There was no sense of urgency or anything, just wander around and go play Chocobo Hot and Cold. Don't even worry about Kuja, just go play some cards, it's all good.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

Thinking about it, it just might. Lots of great music in IX, You're Not Alone may be my favorite track in the series or at least very close to it.

It definitely had the best character themes out of the PSX-era ones. I love Cid's theme, but FFIX is consistently awesome with Freya, Amarant, and Beatrix's themes.

To be fair FF8 didn't have any character themes, but I stand by my opinion.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

The Man With the Machine Gun was totally Laguna's theme. :colbert:

Although it's probably too cool for the biggest klutz in history.

Technically it's the alternative party's battle theme, and Uematsu choose not to compose proper FFVIII themes because he "found that the effect of character themes weren't as great as [...] in FF 6 and 7." :o: but then went on to compose themes for everyone in FFIX

Paperhouse posted:

Maria and Draco :v:

Je suis l’obscurité, je suis une femme de couleurs.
Notre amour est plus brillant que le soleil émail diamant. :france:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I think he meant more, "Gee, the only characters who have any screen time are Squall and Rinoa so you probably wouldn't get to hear the songs for everyone else anyway."

Basically. Try to associate a track with Zell or Irvine, any track. It's impossible! They just appear and tag along without musical accompaniment.

goldjas posted:

What the hell is Uematsu even doing these days anyway? The last thing I remember him doing was Lost Odyssey's soundtrack, which is a game I actually did like, but after that as far as I know he basically fell off the face of the earth. Although honestly the current guy who's doing Final Fantasy's music now (I forget his name), is pretty legit, as we can see in songs like Blinded by the Light or Titan's theme in FFXIV.

Not much that we've seen, but he's been consistently busy freelancing since leaving Square. He did some stuff for Mistwalker (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) in the late 2000s, and a ton of Japan-only stuff after that. The Black Mages disbanded in 2010, which is the last "big" thing I can associate with his name.

He shows up and performs at Distant Worlds concerts every once in a while for what it's worth, and I believe he's working on that violinist-turned-game-developers JRPG.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

He also did the soundtrack for The Last Story, but I couldn't tell you whether it was good or not since I only ever got it to run the title screen at 40fps.

I totally forgot about that, but trying to recall it now I only really remember the theme, which is pleasant.

He also released one album titled Dancing Dad (no joke) after The Black Mages disbanded that was really good.

e: oh you edited that in. anyways, it came out pretty recently (late 2013) so he's still doing stuff, and a second earthbound papas album seems pretty reasonable to expect

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 25, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I'd just like to point out that Dancing Dad is the best album name. IIRC it was supposed to be Dancing Mad but Square didn't allow him to use it.

Yes and yes. If memory serves from an old OSV article, at a festival last year he announced "I totally wanted to name it Dancing Mad, but a 'certain company' told me I couldn't," and thus Dancing Dad was born. I definitely remember that he wanted to compose entirely original tracks, but opted not to because it would sell way worse. I may be paraphrasing a bit there, but it's a practical [and accurate] point. Kind of a bummer actually. :(

There's no legit online release (and I don't know if it's kosher to post direct VGM junk in games anymore) but it exists and is, in fact, a cool album.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's kosher. Heck, LPs regularly post links to game songs.

The last time I regularly posted in games there was a giant VGM sharing thread but that was like 2005 so idk :shrug:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Most composers don't really work for a company fulltime these days it seems like. Makes way more sense to freelance the work out to a guy rather than pay him a yearly salary when he's probably not working year round.

I also didn't know The Black Mages broke up and he made a new band, need to check that out if I can find a way to listen to it online.

Edit: Basically I'm asking for a way to listen to it online

Yeah, all the "big name" composers have since gone freelance and founded their own production studios. Mitsuda with Procyon, Uematsu with Dog Ear, Hamauzu with Monomusik, Sakuraba with Misty Inn, Sakimoto with Basiscape, Ito with ??? (I know he went freelance, but I can't recall if he formed his own studio).

Anyways I got a good-enough-for-me-OK from a mod so here is some vidja game music

Earthbound Papas - Octave Theory
Earthbound Papas - Dancing Dad

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

In FFXIV musical news, the song from the last E3 trailer got an official release in one of Square's albums at some point, so here it is in all of its high quality glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gaoweoBMQ

It was part of Yoko Shimomura's arrange album memoria earlier this year, and it's the third time they've used it in a trailer since 2008.

What's really funny is that this is the second FFXV track to be released proper. She composed the vocal theme Somnus in 2006 or earlier, back when it was still Versus XIII, and released it as part of her arrange album drammatica in 2008.

At this pace we might see a hat trick of music releases before the game actually comes out.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
You can sprint in the GBA version without spending a relic slot on sprint shoes. That's good.

The music and SFX are a lot worse on the GBA's sound hardware. That's bad.

I don't think it's worth trading the music for a slightly improved translation and lackluster bonus content.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The music is a bit worse but it isn't like it is replaced by howling bat screeches.

It's really bad in my opinion (but I don't think it features any howling bat screeches).

Decisive Battle on GBA
Devil's Lab on GBA
Battle to the Death on GBA

If that music patch fixes it then I have no complaints.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tae posted:

Man, I just can't stop and be amazed how hosed up 13 did with their l'cie poo poo when I see entire armies retreat in Type-0 just because two of them fight each other. I don't think I ever got the motion that being a l'cie means you're a walking nuclear bomb.

I'm not very far into Type-0 yet, but so far the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff is way more engrossing in it than it was in any of the XIII games. L'Cie and Eidolons, and the world building in general, are way more interesting so far.

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Skeezy posted:

For whatever reason I still can't get the game running on an original PSP without the opening cinematic stuttering to hell. I have it set on Inferno and I have CFW 6.60 PRO-C2 so I don't know what the deal is :(

It's running great on my PSP 1001 with 6.60, Inferno, and default CPU/BUS speeds. It did freeze when I tried to open the codex in the Crystarium, but I haven't tried to replicate that yet.

It might be an issue resulting from the patching process. Did you merge it into a single ISO? That's what I'm using, and it's smooth.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm just running it on default at the moment and it runs fine and dandy, whats all this inferno business people are talking a boot?

It's referring to how the PSP handles running game images. You can switch it between a few drivers, but generally Inferno is the highest compatibility option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Terper posted:

I mean, I love the world building and am finding the game's story pretty neat at this point, but boy do the characters suffer for it. Machina, Rem, and Ace have gotten a bit of early stuff but I could barely tell you anything about the rest of these jokers. Jack is always :buddy:? Nine's a douche? Deuce is a girl? Trey is... the gently caress is Trey, I don't think he's even talked yet, what's your deal. You suck in combat too, get out Trey.

Yeah, I couldn't tell you anything about the characters beyond "Nine is basically a dragoon." They're mostly interchangeable and disposable so far. In fact, it feels more like I'm selecting what weapon I want to use in Monster Hunter than picking party members.

Game makes up for it by immediately introducing the best series chocobo, Chichiri, and my new favorite Prussian-wannabe Cid.