Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Schwartzcough posted:

I always hated Basch's outfit. It looks like he's wearing a potholder and clothes that don't fit him. The clothes he stole off the dead guy in the Barheim Passage when you first got him would've been a big improvement.

For me it's the fact that he's naturally inclined towards heavy armor, but in reality will always be wearing shorts and gladiator sandals. His look just doesn't seem to mesh with his character at all.

I bounced off the initial release of 12 hard a couple of times, but I've been absolutely loving TZA. Nearly to the end of the story now (just finished up at the Great Crystal), and I'm liking it enough that I'll probably continue to do a lot of the Hunts and other side stuff. The job system, and especially the dual-job change for the remaster, is a huge improvement over the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

"I'd say that you're more like a... supporting role." This joke landed with me better than any other in the series because it's just exactly the kind of thing a couple that's comfortable with each other would say.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

alpha_destroy posted:

My friends and I must have been illiterate because FFT was our favorite game ever by chocobos were chickaboos and Delita was pronounced Dee-tail-ya to us. Like, to the point he is still Detaila in my brain.

As a kid I misread Returners in FF6 and pronounced it "Ret-runners". The first time I played it as an adult, I had no idea how I was so dumb earlier but suddenly the name made a lot more sense.

Also Ivalice seems fine to me. How else would you spell it? "Ev-" would be pronounced with a short e by everyone, and "Eev-" or "Eav-" look way worse.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

4 is a textbook 90's era JRPG, and it wrote that book. It's got some issues, but it's still got gameplay and story that mostly holds up.

The job system is pretty awesome in 5, but despite multiple attempts on multiple releases I couldn't ever get into the game.

Same on 5. As someone who loves theorycrafting job loadouts in games like FFT and FF12, I expected it to totally be my jam, but it just never managed to sink its hooks into me.

I played 4 for the first time a year or so ago, well after I played most other FF games. It struck me as an ideal introductory JRPG - easy to follow story, likeable characters, no complicated character progression systems to gently caress up. But that lack of customization also means that its replay value is very limited.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I had a lot of fun with FF Legend 2 as a kid, and it made a lot of sense when I later played SaGa Frontier and learned they came from the same roots. I've never tried FF2 though, I take it it's probably too unpolished by today's standards to really be enjoyable?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Scalding Coffee posted:

A game where you can stomp everything in your way in a Star Wars setting.

But I'm already playing 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

NikkolasKing posted:

It depends. Who is the villain of FFXII? Vayne? Venat? The Empire as a whole?

In any event, Vayne is far and away the worst villain of all major villains in that game. Gabranth and Dr. Cid far outshine him.

Vayne was pretty good for the first half of the game, peaking at the Mt. Bur-Omisace cutscene which was a good "oh poo poo" moment. The problem is that he stays very grounded, with his highest ambition being "start a war", while the party is off meeting literal gods.

Venat itself is kind of hard to classify as a villain. It's more antagonistic to the other Occuria than to any of the humans, and seems perfectly happy with the way you accomplished all your goals. Could even be possible that working with Cid/Vayne was part of a larger-scale plan that ended with you destroying the Sun-cryst like you did, which seemed to be its main goal.

Cid was the best of them, then. I liked how his motivation wasn't just "destroy the world" but rather "there's this incredible power out there and I need to control it so I can see what it can do". Didn't make him any less dangerous, but much more relatable than typical FF villains.