Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nope. Enjoy it forever!

It's especially nice when they drop in when you're driving and you're forced to abandon your car.
I never fought those guys when I didn't want to, and I never had to abandon my car or even take more than fifteen seconds of menu time to make sure I had a decently powerful magic equipped to huck and kill them all in one turn. Like, you can just keep running or driving and you're good. They don't really chase you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah maybe Quina just fuckin loves frogs and everybody keeps trying to say "look that's loving gross come with us we'll show you that good food out there exists"

so the whole "better than frogs?" line isn't so much Quina being surprised that food can be better than frogs, just that s/he's a master chef who thinks s/he's tried everything and frogs are her/his favorite, but these people are promising new culinary worlds of delight

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

As someone who only speaks english, English is a weird orgy of german, french, latin, and greek, with a few other loanwords mixed in, and a bunch of other poo poo an actual linguist would be able to point out. Its hard not to be hosed up.
Let's not forget how grammar and pronounciation are fuckin' optional in English too. Say words a way in whatever want you got and it's gettable.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

edit: Red Ecks-Eye-Eye-Eye

Red Shee

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bidya jame

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gologle posted:

Hey so what is Ultimecia's deal really? What do we know about her?
She a witch, but like, a real stupid one, who heard "someone from SeeD will kill her" and decided the best plan of defense was to compress all time to one point, thereby making literally every SeeD member in history potentially able to target her.

Alternatively she's Rinoa from the future who was driven mad with grief and power and wanted to go back to the one time Squall was around, but hosed up so bad that everyone had no choice but to kill her. This option is the better one, narratively speaking, so it's officially Not True.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bobjr posted:

I actually forgot about Kinoc. I forgot he goes off with the murder happy villain and outright calls that out, but still ends up dead right after anyway. Wonder if he knew that would happen.
I'm replaying FFX and I just got through that scene. Seymour legit says he's going to give everyone the power of being dead but still just doing their own thing; on top of that, the grand maester's also dead at the time, and in the "kinoc dies" scene, there's like three other guards, like just nameless grunts, who are also dead and hanging out. Kinoc absolutely thought he was going to get to be a dead man walking, but the second he dies Seymour sends him and the three other guards just to fuckin throw down with Kimhari. It's great.

Also as a sidenote I remember FFX being harder than it is; even making the game more difficult for myself by refusing to use Auron or Tidus unless absolutely necessary (Kimhari's my 'sword main') it's been something of a cakewalk. Oh well, I just got to the calm lands; monster capturing and dark aeons are finally going to be open to me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Rinoa repesents coming of age and Squall represents the inevitability of death. Ultimecia is meant to represent you, the player. All other characters represent the dangers of ignorance, except for Angelo who obviously is meant to show the struggles of the working class, and Doom Train which is the negative impacts of industrialization.

Um Laguna represents the futility of being a dad trying to maintain relevance in the modern day ok

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is FF8 any good? I’ve played 7 and 9 a bunch of times since they came out, but never had any interest in 8.
It's my favorite FF game by far.

Don't play it. It sucks a lot. I love it but it suuucks

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV always seemed to want me to believe noct was a lot whinier than he actually was

kid kept it together pretty good considering all the poo poo that kept getting dumped on him, but whoops here's the Bipedal Abs telling him to get over his fiancee being shivved in front of him like two weeks ago
For real like Glad seemed to think only one person was allowed to go through poo poo at once and that somehow Noct saying "hey this uh, kinda sucks for me right now I need a second to breathe" meant he was saying "everybody needs to die noone has ever been as sad as i am"

FFXV could have had the most coherent Final Fantasy story of all the games if they hadn't just rushed it so hard. The pacing was just all over the place and it made it seem like "a prince going through standard king tests like literally every king has done under the nose of an evil empire ruled by a jealous god who got sick of helping people like kings seem incoherent as hell.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF Games remade by Yoko Taro:

FF8: We all forgot our childhood because of Guardian Forces! The Guardians are the teachers, who Forced themselves onto you as a child and cause you to repress all childhood memories
Ending two: Time Kompression actually made Squall have to hide his adult identity but he, and the rest of the party, were the teachers all along.

Ending three: Time Kompression is just the shuffling of a deck of Triple Triad cards and the game was a dramatic retelling of a card game in the Balamb Garden cafeteria.

Ending four: Laguna and his son, Irvine, invent Triple Triad as a means to pretend that Irvine isn't trapped in a wheelchair after a dramatic fight with one of the abusive teachers at his military academy

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

They're going to hire me and FFXVI will be a musical requiring a microphone to play and with each copy having one of three possible endings randomly assigned to it.
Okay but this would be amazing

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The best singleplayer Final Fantasies are 6, 8, 10, and 12, and the best multiplayer is 14, so this thread-built 16 is already shaping up to be a fuckin' hoot and a holler i tell you hwhat

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

yeah my dude squall sucked at a lot but he was a good student and was specifically faced with the kinds of challenges he had studied to overcome

This isn't even subtext it's right there in the drat game

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy VIII New Threat has been released! Disk 1 anyway
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18635.0
The changes to junctioning and magic sound...

interesting. Not necessarily good, just... interesting. I appreciate making 'using magic' more valid of a playstyle, but part of the draw of FF8's battle system (at least to me) was the whole cost-benefit analysis of hucking a ball of fire.

The change to limits is good, I didn't really see the point previously in just getting to low health and mashing 'skip' until you can use a limit. Either give it to me always, or make it explicitly conditional.

GF affinity being a use-it-and-lose-it affair sounds like right after they 'fixed' magic, they decided to gently caress GFs. They already weren't useful endgame - now they're even more explicitly not useful without intentionally working on raising affinity?

I might have to finally get FF8 on PC just to try this out.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

maybe tweak the translation so it makes a bit more sense.
But don't change "this guy are sick" that line is perfect and important to the Brand

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I feel like ff6 hosed up espers hard - unlike most FFs, I genuinely forget that espers even existed when I think back to the game

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Considering how incredibly central espers are to the plot and central character of FF6, I think it might be your memory that's at fault here.

Me, flawed? Impossible!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

How you beat Bahamut in FF8? Much I been avoiding levels (but not using no-encounters), I am level 25 with my team, not that should matter. I got a lot of good junction spells and almost all the GF available outside of Doomtrain who I need to get Alexander stupid Recovery Item Plus ability first.

I do fine until he megaflares, which does about 3000 damage which even with a full stock of curagas my max HP is about 3500 or so on each character except Rinoa who has Max HP 80%.
Cast Doomtrain on him first (or use something to give him Blind, he's susceptible to it). After that, just use GFs to tank the megaflare damage, make sure you've got Aura on all your characters, constantly limit cycle, and he's relatively easy.

Dude's weak to Ice too, if you need to drop spells/prioritize a damaging GF.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FF8 isn't a hard game. My first run through, I played like a traditional JRPG and used magic like crazy and didn't really gently caress with junctioning a huge amount and it was absolutely fine. All that junctioning to break the game is a fun thing you can do but it's absolutely not necessary to powergame the thing.

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL this game seems poorly designed!
I'd argue the opposite - the game can and a hell of a lot of the time is played like a regular JRPG, but to absolutely break it you have to intentionally go against every instinct you've learned from playing anything else in the genre. The fact that you can get Hella Strong in multiple different ways is a bonus, not a problem, and the level that people talk about using enc-none and card mods and all that is like asking for help in making a grilled cheese and the first thing someone tells you is "okay so first off if you're not grinding your own flour for the bread from whole wheat berries smh"

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

So tell me about cards. Sounds like they're for more than Triple Triad? When should I start playing that anyway?
You can start playing it at any time - it's funner earlier game, because eventually you get some rules added that just make you regret collecting any cards at all.

Diablos can learn the Card skill, which can turn an enemy into a card at low health. Kinda like hucking a pokeball at it, honestly. Doing this means you don't get XP from the fight, just AP - that way you can grind AP outside of boss battles without leveling up if you wanna be crazy.

Quetzacotl can learn Card Mod, which lets you turn cards into various items. The items can be absurdly powerful to get, because...

Most GFs have some form of refining magic skill. Like, Diablos can learn Time-RF and turn one Dragon Fin into twenty Doubles. Card Mod can turn Grendel cards into Dragon Fins. Alexander (admittedly this is a little late game, but it's an example) can turn 10 Doubles into one Triple. A bored run around the Island Closest To Hell and you can stock up on fifty Grendel cards, just from using Card in battle, which is enough to get 100 triples on a character - triple is a pretty drat good junctioning spell on certain stats.

But - you don't need to use Card ever? Grendel is a pretty common card people will use in rando card games and you can win plenty of them throughout the game. If you're not trying to do a 'collect them all' thing with the cards (I always do, but it's problematic) then every one of the GF and character cards can be card modded into some absurdly powerful items. Like the above thing, with triples? Card mod Squall's card into three Three Souls. Each single Three Souls item can be Time-RFed into 100 triples.

The card game's fun and cool to play, which is an amazing side benefit to a stupidly powerful way to break the game over your knee. Just, y'know - eventually you'll play a game and get stuck with Random or Plus rules and you'll loving hate everything about the game until you get rid of them again. (You can do that in Balamb Harbor, by playing against a student who's fishing)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I know FF7 is the one getting a remake for economic reasons but I think FF8 is the game that would most benefit from a complete reconceptualization, since there's a lot of fragmented good stuff there but it just forgets about basically all the characters in the second half.
On top of that, FF8 is the one that has systems and designs that would most easily fold into the FF15 engine. FF6 and back are wicked customizable but work best as the 2d games they are, FF9 needs that 2d RPG nostalgia to work, FFX already has a good system, and FF12-13 are too new to need it.

The FF7 remake's probably going to be fine but I just don't see the game of FF7 fitting in the FF15 engine nearly as cleanly as FF8.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Random question, what would you do for FF16?
Gimme proper dressup dolls and a real Weird West vibe but with pirate ships too

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Relin posted:

a game that's loving complete at launch and tells a decent story
what the hell is wrong with you jesus "yes hi here's my pitch for the next call of duty it's a super realistic singleplayer racing game"

we talking final fantasy here

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

motherfuckin' "complete at launch" bullshit fuckin' final fantasy "tells a decent story" bahgumbit fuckin' imma take a drat walk

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Final Fantasy 16 should be Skate 4

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks. I have Blind. I'm assuming that's its weakness?

It has two moves and if you cast Blind, the only one of its moves that can hit is Demi, which literally can't kill you

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tall Tale Teller posted:

And also the XII soundtrack is one of the best in the series.

I just ripped off my shirt fight me.

it's not even the best in the series of final fantasies wedged between MMOs

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is the first major RPG I've intentionally broken on the first playthrough. 99% of the time I play them straight as intended but I've heard so many bad things about FF8 that I wanted to give breaking it a try and yeah it's good times. Sue me.

FF8 is fun and good and strong and My Friend, people who talk poo poo about it tend to have super dumb complaints like "i was huffing all my farts and ff8 distracted me by being high quality and i missed out on a real eggy stank." There's no bad way to play it, and that's just a scientific truth.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is what would happen if you named your game “Final Fantasy” and then decided to make seven sequels.

This is hosed up. This is so hosed up. Is this real? This is loving me right up.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I respect FFVIII a lot for trying something weird and new, even if it isn't really to my tastes (a game's not fun to break if it's THAT breakable), because I've always felt that an experimental failure is far more interesting than a boring success. It's something I like about Final Fantasy in general, really; taking weird gambles is part of the series DNA, going right back to the NES.
I mean the cool thing about breaking FF8 is that like, frankly it's kinda boring to do. Contrast with, like, FF12, or for an even earlier game example, FF6, where you 'break the game' by just leaving the console on overnight. I don't know which one's more egregious actually - in FF12, you've gotta get through most of the game, but once you have enough gambits you can set up a little algorithm near a strong mob that spawns smaller things and go to sleep and wake up max level. FF6's easiest 'break' point comes from the river rafting scene before Ultros. Just set cursor to 'memory' and use a controller with a turbo button; you'll be max level next morning.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.
Holy poo poo FFX was just Fantasy Ghostbusters how come I never realized this until now

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

I feel like killing someone loses some of its impact when being dead is just like being alive except better
The whole premise of that conflict was weird in retrospect.

"Hey guys - you can be dead, and still do alive stuff, but for longer and better, with One Weird Trick"
"nuh uh!"
"You can though I'm doing it right now"
"...i'll KILL YOU how DARE YOU"
"You already did remember"
"NUH GOTTA STOP YOUR PLAN"
"my plan is make everyone already dead so sin can't hurt us anymore"
"OH YEAH WELL I'M GUNNA DIE TO PUT OFF SIN HURTING PEOPLE FOR A LITTLE WHILE"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Keep feelin sorry cause as of Royal Edition they put it behind a quest line for Cindy that takes till..

e: looks like end of the game, Ch 15 to be able to complete it https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/87nn7s/question_about_the_regalia_and_ch_15_spoiler/
Wait in non-Royal edition I coulda been using the Best Car from the start of the drat game? Maaaaan.

e: You get the offroad version in chapter 8; that reddit link is talking about the flying car version.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Not as bad as Tidus IMO. What other weird name pronunciations could the early FFs be hiding? I bet Rinoa is actually pronounced like quinoa.

Reenwa, Squale, and Zeal are a lot of people's 'standard' teams but folks often misjudge the power behind Kweyestees and Selp Hi's limits, not to mention Eye Are Vinny's fun ammo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just did the train fight in 6 for the first time

Gaming peaked in 1996 or whatever, I suplexed a loving train

no argument here, every high level 'cool' moment in games since then has at best reached that level of cool, never bettered.