Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm actually fairly sure Mystic Quest was my first, but while I have a bit of nostalgia for it my favorites are a toss-up between IV and VI. I put in about 30 hours into Tactics and enjoyed it well enough, but never finished it for whatever reason.

I don't particularly care for the rest :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Phantasium posted:

Final Fantasy V is coming to PC before Lightning makes her Return.

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/final-fantasy-v-coming-pc-september-24
I was excited for a few seconds because I never got around to playing FFV, but that looks like poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Suikoden 1 is fun but really rough around the edges, 2 is where it really came together.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Suikoden has been dead far longer than Konami itself has been.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly can't remember if I ever actually got any of the ultimate weapons in FFX back in the day, even then they reeked of bullshit to young me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I even kind of like the augment system in FF4DS, though it requires you to look the whole thing up ahead of time. You could do so many crazy things like pairing Counter with Draw Attacks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wish at some point the actual GBA versions of FF4-6 would be rereleased. Those are probably the best versions imo. I ebat FF5 on iOS but controlling it was not fun
Dunno about the rest but FF4 on the GBA had a bug with the atb system that basically let you always move earlier than the enemy, making an already absurdly easy game even easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are there any FFVI rom hacks that address game balance and such that are worth using? VI coming out on Steam and as expected being visual diarrhea still got me thinking that I might want to replay the SNES one some day. I've heard the GBA iteration is decent enough but man the music sounds bad on that, even with hacks to "fix" that as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Augus posted:

Brave New World is a pretty comprehensive hack of the game that basically overhauls all of the mechanics entirely and redoes the game script. It's pretty challenging but also feels balanced and has some cool stuff like Cyan being a complete beast of a physical attacker who can tear through enemies like butter rather than being literally useless. In general, all the characters are differentiated better than the original game and it doesn't feel like you're just spamming Magic the whole time. It isn't perfect but I think it's worthwhile. Mega64 did an LP of it if you want to check it out
Thanks, that sounds pretty cool and is more or less exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only annoying part of the Magnetic Cave is when you forget to trigger the plot scenes with Edward ahead of time in the city. It's otherwise not particularly hard. Now the Tower of Zot, especially on the DS version, on the other hand...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if you don't design a game for grinding and have immaculately designed difficulty based around playing things "normally" sometimes people will still go out of their way to grind. I've been guilty of it plenty of times over the years. It's not so much because it's necessity but that...I don't know, I find it kind of fun sometimes? The idea that if I put in a little bit extra work, I'll be optimize my team or setup that much more by unlocking this ability or whatever. Like when I was playing Etrian Odyssey IV I'd see certain skills on my character's trees that looked super cool,"ooh I only need one or two points to get there eh why not kill some FOEs to get there now?" Then all of a sudden I'd look up and find myself probably a handful levels probably too strong.

A way around this I think is that you can give the player the option to do so, but put certain restrictions in place that eventually make it untenable. Devil Survivor for example makes it so that the experience gains you get from battles drops precipitously once you're a certain amount stronger than the enemies. Or Undertale which seemed to literally have a finite supply of enemies to "grind" in the first place. Or of course Chrono Cross which tied level ups to boss fights. I think all of those can alleviate such issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I should love FF9 but I've never been a big fan. I started it probably a half dozen times only to quit a few hours in, eventually sucked it up and powered through, and still didn't really think that much of it. Not good or bad, it was just kind of there. I guess I should revisit it because it is definitely more appealing to me in 2015 than anything that came after it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I have to say that FFIX stuff sounds pretty rad, I definitely feel like I could give the game another chance and probably like it a lot more than I did when it first came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The gameplay balancing changes in the DS version improved* FFIV so much that I can't imagine playing any other version.

*gently caress those fire dogs in Tower of Zot though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

The GBA translation is not only actually good, it's very highly-regarded. Come for the gameplay and job system, sure, but FF5 is otherwise a drat dry game.
I remember trying to emulate it at some point and it sounded awful; is it one of those things where on actual GBA hardware it sounds fine? Even with a SNES music patch it sounded like a hissing, static-filled monstrosity.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cross is probably like my third favorite JRPG on the PSX, I liked it a lot. A lot of it is nonsense but a lot of the set pieces are also pretty memorable IMO. It also looks and sounds gorgeous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

Chrono Cross is probably #1 on the list of games I'd like to have remade to be actually good. It's basically 2/3 of a game that never got finished, and it's blatantly obvious, to the point you can actually spot where the plot ran out and the infodumps begin.
That's Xenogears! Another PSX JRPG I like more than I probably should.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't stand Star Ocean 2, I'd take a thousand Chrono Crosses before playing that again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gologle posted:

I'm getting really loving Chrono Triggered by these posts. Did you skip over the part where all the playable characters from Trigger except maaaaaaybe Magus die?
Yeah, and it was ballsy as hell. I like the Trigger cast a lot but that development in Cross was handled pretty well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My preference is for the DS/Steam version because it's actually challenging.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is some Evangelion in Xenogears but there are a whole lot more other giant robot stuff in there as well, the whole game is basically a love letter/homage/parody to the genre.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked the story/cast quite a bit in BD1 even with its warts. More the villains than the heroes, but it was a fun time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite is the DS/Steam one since it's actually somewhat challenging and some of the QOL changes / customization options are fun. The PSP one is probably best if you want the "classic" take on the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The GBA version has a bug with the ATB that gives you way more turns than you're really supposed to so it turns an already easy game into something almost laughable. You can patch it though if you feel so inclined.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Indecisive posted:

final fantasy mystic quest 2
Yeah!

Mezzanon posted:

Super Mario RPG 2
Yeah!!!

It's not the same genre but can I wish/hope for a Star Tropics 3 while we're doing this

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Cross is one of my favorite PSX JRPGs, I turned my nose up at it for years because it wasn't exactly the same as Chrono Trigger but when I actually sat down to play it I wound up loving it. It's a bit of a beautiful mess but it's still a lot of fun to play, I love the battle system and general look of the game, to say nothing of the soundtrack. The huge cast is honestly just a distraction because to me Cross is basically just a story about Serge and Kid, and what they have there is pretty strong IMO. You still get enough of interesting folks to add a little bit of flavor, like Karsh/Glenn/Fargo, that it still feels like you have a decently sized party to work with. And while most of the reason I like the game has nothing to do with Trigger, I thought it was really interesting take on "hey maybe saving the world through time fuckery wasn't the perfect ideal idea we thought it would be."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Chapters 5 & 6 are kind of a waste of time outside of the last one or two jobs you can get, so don't feel bad about rushing through them. Chapter 7 though is really cool as the banter and new story bits with the asterisks are very nice, and Chapter 8 has probably the most difficult boss fights if you feel like challenging yourself.