Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How you handle early vs late final fantasies largely depends how much tolerance you have for a videogame being firmly lodged up its own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw, i'm kinda sad the thread tag got changed from poo poo-POST.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I never played the earlier Final Fantasies, but I understand one of them - and I'm not sure which - has an unbelievably great ending. Is it 6? I remember reading either a really long post or an offsite link that explained the whole ending and why it was so great, but I have since forgotten the specifics.

Nah, man, you must be thinking of some other game series.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well his character design sucks :colbert:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself.

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 16, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It makes my blood boil just looking at that hair.

Honestly I talk a lot of poo poo about the series in here, but Tetsuya Nomura is probably the primary thing ruining final fantasy for me. Get rid of him and I might be able to tolerate the design again.

edit: upon closer examination, virtually everything about tidus's outfit also makes me want to vomit. Nice 3-part zip off overalls, rear end in a top hat, how'd you manage to work basket weaving in there?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I hadn't actually played twewy (mostly because of him, actually, I hear it's great) and those look... downright tolerable.

I feel like any one big stupid accessory can be made to work, but he just lumps them all together in a way that makes no goddamn sense. Like, all that poo poo tidus is wearing. FFX was the first FF game I skipped completely, just based on the character designs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love amano's designs, but it might look weird to see them recreated faithfully in 3d. All his characters kinda have the same brooding robert pattinson face.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

You know what I'm just going to say it. While Amano may be a better artist. Nomura is a better character designer.

Dude take another look at that tidus.

That is God-awful character design. Like, laughed-out-of-a-job-interview bad.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 18, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Question: when people complain about Nomura's character designs looking terrible, are they thinking of the actual characters or the costumes the characters are wearing?

Because I agree with Dr. Pepper; Nomura's character designs are fine. It's his costume designs post-PS1 that are terrible.

His character designs are just 'blonde gackt', or sometimes just 'gackt'.

If you looked at a naked tidus next to a naked vaan, you would have absolutely no way of knowing which was which.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 18, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ah, that's news to me! That does explain why the people in XII didn't look quite as lovely. Well, then I just want to direct a little hate toward whatever executive decided to shoehorn vaan in there.

Though I believe my rationale for skipping XII was having recently played tactics advance, and not wanting to support the rape of ivalice.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't use rape to describe video game using plot elements you don't like.

Sorry, grandma.

I really don't like how they took the only established final fantasy setting I ever liked and changed it completely by adding a bunch of awful fantasy races that weren't originally there and replaced an evil church conspiracy with an ill-conceived system of nondenominational judges, solely for the propose of riding the coattails of the last FF game I actually enjoyed, instead of just making it a new world like every other final fantasy ever.

This also eliminated the possibility of seeing another game set in the aforementioned universe which I did not hate.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

You do realize that FFTA and FF12 (Well, most of it) were made by Matsuno.

Also Bangaa own.

I do not believe for a second that he was the one who made the decision to shoehorn those settings together. Hell, he left squeenix shortly after FFXII was finished.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 18, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Um, he was the person who made that decision. The problem was that FFXII was supposed to come out BEFORE Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it got pushed back by like three or four years. FFT:A was supposed to be a spinoff of FFXII in which some kids who had played FFXII went into an imaginary world based on the game they had played.

I'll admit that makes way more sense, but it still reeks of an executive decision, a la making vaan the main character against matsuno's wishes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Eh, I don't think making the world more diverse was an executive decision. Final Fantasy Tactics even has stuff like an area description that mentions that the moogles are extinct during the time when FFT takes place. FFXII happens during the golden age of airships and not-yet-extinct moogles and poo poo. The world's supposed to be quite different from it is during FFT.

Fair enough, I guess I can learn to hate matsuno for ruining his own awesome setting, if I really have to.

Though I definitely would have received it better if they hadn't led with the wrong foot. I liked the relative maturity of FFT compared to the other games they were putting out, and a storyline with little solipsist children did not do good things for my opinion of the company.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's not like Ivalice is ruined (well, not by anything except for Matsuno's departure). You could still have awesome games set in different parts of its history (like Vagrant Story) that might be closer to the sort of mood that you want (except they're probably not gonna make any more Ivalice games now that he's gone unless they're more FFTA games).

Speaking of which, Is the plot of vagrant story worth putting up with the obtuse mechanics? I heard good things about the setting, and bad things about the gameplay. If it helps, I really don't care for weapon AP systems like ffta.

(i will try and stop hijacking the thread after this)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 18, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was about to compose a list of all the reasons Advent Children was loving awful, but it looks like you already touched on most of them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Also those scenes sucked.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I also think it's bullshit that people are constantly being killed by poisonous gas and death magic and big sharp claws and being crushed by boulders and every time they can just huff some phoenix feathers and come back, except for when you can't because the sword is just too long.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Or y'know, if there just weren't any laws.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would have been able to forgive absolutely everything else if they'd left in charge times.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TBH I wouldn't recommend playing through that way for your first runthrough.

I mean, in my opinion the job system is the only thing FFV has going for it. Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Muuuuch better. Fixed a typo, and you were missing a comma. :angel:

You and me, we're enemies.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh for god's sakes, stop being so melodramatic.

You goons, i swear.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You're crazy, man, those dolls are adorable. And I don't even like 75% of final fantasy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I always used to confuse which final fantasy was 4 and 5, because I feel like 5 looks like a step backward in terms of design.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's harder to hate 5 because it's pretty blah. There's really just not a whole lot going on, outside the job system. The characters all feel like cardboard cutouts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I never realized how much that bothered me. I thought I just hated Cara.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Corvinus posted:

There's a romhack for FF6 called Brave New World that appears to be fairly well done (it's on my to-play list). Does things like drop the level cap to 50, limit espers so not everyone can learn every spell, and modify each character's special ability to be more distinctive.

It, um... It appears that the program he suggests to amend your ROM file is a .exe file. I'm on mac, and can't run it, after I got all excited to try it. I don't suppose it would be against the rules to ask where I might find an already modified rom, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dross posted:

Is there a .ips file in the archive?

http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html This should help you out.

Oh hey, thanks buddy.