Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

corn in the fridge posted:

ff9 - good
ff10 - bad

This is a lie and poo poo opinion.

I'm replaying FF9 right how and it's so hard to get through. Any time you're in a cave or walking around in the world map, it's pure torture due to the slow battles. Every 5 steps, you get in a battle and have to wait 30 seconds for the camera to swirl around, then the battles are painfully slow and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Heaven Spacey posted:

FF9 has so much loving heart though. I wish they'd do some kinda "remaster" of it for 3DS that gets ported to Steam, where they keep the game basically the same (but with the textures too high-res for PSX now much clearer on the newer hardware) and just improve the loading times. Maybe add a fast forward button or some poo poo, that's all it needs.

It does have heart but I think X has just as much or more. Yuna's sending scene and Yuna's bed hair scene equals anything from FF9.

You know, on the first disk of this FF9 replay, I was loving it. The music, the charm, the humor, the dialogue, and character interactions were better than I remembered. I actually thought "Why did I complain about the battles before? They're not that bad. I can put up with it." Then I hit the second disk and around Treno it started to get dull. Now I remember why I complained about the battles. Good god is it brutal when you're on the world map and don't know where to go, or you're going through a puzzle dungeon like Fossil Roo or searching for 5 story pieces to get the Ramuh summon. (How can anyone complain about X not having a world map after FF9? I wish 9 didn't have a world map.) The last two hours going from Lindblum to beyond Conde Petit was a chore. The story dropped off since the first disk too. The characters are not talking to each other as much. Maybe it just wasn't a good idea to separate Zidane and Steiner from each other for so long, yet even Zidane and Garnet aren't talking to each other much anymore. Did I hit a dry spell? Or is this the way it is from now on?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 29, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

Dragon quest is grindy garbage and I have no idea how that series maintained any sort of popularity.

The truth is DQ isn't grindy at all. People come from playing Final Fantasy where you can buy every item in the shop and expect DQ to be the same way. In DQ, you have to plan ahead. If a weapon is expensive and only raises your attack power by 5 points, don't get it. Buy the expensive weapon in the next town that will raise your attack by 10.

Mokinokaro posted:

Same here. The characters just completely failed to grab me and I wasn't a huge fan of the battle system either.

Agreed on Xenoblade. I just bought Lost Odyssey. Hope that's better.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I understand the idea behind delaying your upgrades, but the fact remains that you're grinding 2250gp instead of 2250 + 750. Dragon Quest is always fun for the first five hours, and then I go do something I like better.

Sell all the things you found in the chests from the last cave. You should have 2250. You should have at least what it takes to buy the main guy's weapon. Everything after that is optional. You can't afford everything. You have to make do with what you can afford. If you die going to your next destination, unlike in Final Fantasy, it's not game over. It won't be a wasted trip. You still have all the experience you received, all the items you picked up, and 1/2 your gold.

Excels posted:

Let's just decide right now, universally, what the best JRPG ever is.

I'm sure it will be an easy consensus

Xenogears.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I think this is the one successful attempt at replaying FFIX I've had in like 10 years because the super slow battles usually make me stop playing some time around Lindblum (I'm at Cleyra now) I was wondering if it's ok to not use certain characters once everyone is together again because I don't really care about Quina (or Amarant once I get him)

I do vaguely remember a part in like disc 3 where you split up and you're forced to use everyone but I don't remember how often that kind of thing happens

It'll be fine if you don't use Quina. When I got to the part where your party splits up, I was able to beat every monster group just by using summons. Then he'll level quickly. It's an easy game.

Get ready for the Disc 2 slog that begins when you set out for the Outer Continent. About two hours of those slow battles. The part after that makes it worth it though. Because the story and character interactions pick back up. There's a few hours of goodness than another huge slog in Disc 3 where you're just going from dungeon to dungeon to dungeon. One of them is a puzzle dungeon. Combine a puzzle dungeon with FF9's random battles and encounter rate and you get torture.

FF9 needs a remake more than FF7. There's parts of it where it does feel like it could be one of the best RPGs ever, then there's huge portions which are just terrible and make you regret ever starting it.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 17, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Veks posted:

Don't do this, the game is easy enough to not have to powerlevel.

Yeah, that post has to be kidding. Why would you ever want FF9 to be easier?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

It would be even more messed up if her name was Aerith in the remake imo.

Tae posted:

I thought the VA was fine in X except for Yuna for obvious reasons. Like, bad dub to me is Type-0, some FF13 like Hope, and modern Dynasty Warriors. They emote fine, their expressions match what's actually happening on the screen, and scenes play out like they're actually speaking to each other.

I even thought Yuna was fine close to the end when she was giving speeches and having emotional scenes. Hedy Burress's voice is naturally slow and awkward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdsikeTqiw I never had a problem with it because Yuna is supposed to be shy.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 31, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm slightly disappointed they decide to go with Garnet as the official name. I mean it makes sense and at the end of the day I have no fault with it, but considering I see her as Dagger for 3.5 discs, it was a little jarring at first.

You mean you didn't immediately change her name back to Garnet when given the choice to change her name? Like Aeris, I always liked the name Garnet and each time I get to that point I think "I don't want her to be named Dagger, that's a bad name." Plus it's too funny for her to go "So this is called a dagger? From now on, my name is Garnet."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

epitasis posted:

I mean. they have scenes together. the one looking out at the broken arch thing, the terrible laughing scene, the one in the water. so those things happen. they are in close physical proximity to one another, this is much is true

Nothing was terrible about the laughing scene and if you paid attention to it instead of cringing the whole time you would see that was one of those scenes that showed Tidus was pretty much the only thing making her happy. The only time she ever had fun on her quest to sacrifice herself was when she was with that yelly dorkhog.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Should I play FF Tactics or FFT War Of the Lions?

Which translation do you like better?

FFT: Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

Or

FFT:WOTL - 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

FFT: - Balbanes: Dycedarg, Zalbag... my beloved sons... Take care of Ramza. He may be your half brother, but he is my own flesh.

Or

FFT:WOTL - Barbaneth: Dycedarg, Zalbaag. You are dear to me. But Ramza is no less so. Though he be not the issue of the womb that bore your, my sons, still my blood courses his veins. Watch after him.

I would always go with the original. WOTL comes off trying too hard, sounds more stilted, and loses a lot of the charm of the original. GoT never had dialogue near that awkward.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Keep in mind we only got 1 and 4 before 6 came out, so there wass just Garland and Golbez/Zemus to really compare to. We didn't have Evil Tree Man (and if you think Kefka's bland in FF6A, try playing the SNES fan translation for FF5 at some point, it's as dry as it comes and pretty much everything interesting about FF5's dialogue besides Faris's over-the-top pirate speak and the ridiculous enemy names of the PS1 version are exclusive to FF5A)

Oh, is that why when I played FF5 last year, there was nothing interesting about it other than the job system? I ended the game with the opinion that FF5 had a worse story and worse characters than Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I didn't know the fan translation was bad. I had remembered they did a good job with FF4. So I went with SNES over GBA for the better quality music.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 5, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

there are a couple of places where the swearing isn't bad (Cecil calling Golbez a bastard works fine.) but the dialogue is atrocious. Even ignoring the pop culture references, it completely butchers dialogue and makes lines up wholecloth.

Oh yeah, that is bad. Still, I would say it was overall an improvement on the SNES original despite all of that. When I played the J2E version, I liked the story much better than the original. The original left too much out. Just for example from in the beginning on J2E: Cecil's crew notes how unhappy he is aboard the ship, you find that King Baron raised Cecil and Kain as his sons, you find out that Kain became a dragoon for his father, there's hints of jealousy as he thinks he would have been more successful if he had become a dark knight instead, at one point Cecil says he envies Kain's faith in the king. There's none of that in the original. I believe all of it is in the DS and other versions, so they didn't make these up.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Tempo 119 posted:

I like FF8 because it's cool and hosed up, like me.

I hated FFVIII because it was like playing myself in a video game. If I want to be someone awkward, I could just go out and do something in real life. I'm playing a game to get away from that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

still doesnt change the fact that hes annoying as all hell.

Just because a character has a good reason for being insufferable doesnt mean he'll be a good main character.

How was he annoying? I didn't think he was annoying at all. Zidane was more annoying with his cockiness. "What, Vivi? You don't like girls? I get ALL the girls. I'm so popular."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I guess that's one of the perks of being from before voice acting, I always imagined the delivery of that "You don't like girls? I love girls, any kind is fine!" line as being kinda air-headed and matter-of-factly rather than boasting or embellished.

Meridian posted:

I took it the same way. The only time Zidane ever really comes off as an rear end that I can recall is when he's about to start a bar fight with Freya.

But "all" was in caps when said he gets ALL the girls. He put emphasis on the word. Sounds like he's bragging.

What about in the beginning when Garnet is captured by a plant possibly in the process of being eaten and he's making jokes about not needing a love potion to reel her in and telling his friend he's jealous because he's about to get a sweetie pie?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

CeallaSo posted:

At the same time, though, as much as saying that makes him sound like an rear end, he's right. He was sure Garnet would fall for him, and she did. He knows he's popular with women; he's charming, handsome, and genuine. He's well-intentioned, but also kind of dumb, which is why he isn't able to understand how Vivi (or anyone) wouldn't also think that way.

It's not just that he said it. It's when he said it. He could be talking about someone who is currently being made into plant food. He knows she's captured and time is limited. Why is he making jokes? Wait until you save her, then tell everyone how great you are and how easy she'll be. After the danger is over.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

blame yourself or god

Is our forked tongue done flitting? What I'd hear from your lips are not words!

(This is what's in store for you with the new translation)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Wendell posted:

I can't believe someone still bought into the "Cloud is emo" lie. For shame.

Lie? He hated himself so much and was so insecure that he came up with a fake identity. Tifa does have to go through his mind at one point and convince him she cared him, the real Cloud, and that he wasn't worthless. Even at the end, he's still too awkward to tell Tifa how he felt about her. So Tifa had to give her "Words aren't the only thing you can use. You can use your penis." talk to get him to make a move.

Believing that the real Cloud was confident and goofy is the lie.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 10, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

The fake identity wasn't purposeful, its implied he lightning rodded Zack's lifeforce before it could return to the lifestream and until he gets his consciousness sorted back out he's operating in a strange state of being where Cloud, Zack, and Jenova are all but arguing in his head over what to do at certain points.

The real Cloud ends up learning from some of that allowing him to be confident among his new friends, vis a vis let's mosey.

Cloud took some credit for the fake identity.

quote:

Red XIII: Don't say anything, Cloud. All you've been doing is apologizing.

Cloud: I never was in SOLDIER. I made up the stories about what happened to me five years ago, about being in SOLDIER. I left my village looking for glory, but never made it in to SOLDIER...... I was so ashamed of being so weak; then I heard this story from my friend Zack... And I created an illusion of myself made up of what I had seen in my life...... And I continued to play the charade as if it were true.

It's implied that Cloud becoming Zack in his mind was due to a large part because he wanted to be Zack and didn't want to be himself. That's why Tifa brought him out of it by showing that his real self wasn't so bad. It was important for them to see in the dream that when they were kids, he thought she didn't pay any attention to him. He was lonely because they didn't invite him to be a part of their group. (She helps him through that memory by telling him that she thought about him a lot after he left town) It was also important for them to see and talk about Cloud feeling guilty for not stopping her from falling off of a cliff and going into a coma. He said he felt she blamed him. Then because he thought he was too weak, he tried to join Soldier to get tougher and couldn't even get in. That's all important for why he believed he was Zack.

I would classify him as a bit sad brains, yeah. I love that Cloud is insecure and he's not a perfect action hero. If it was shown to me that he was always a confident guy with no emotional baggage, that would really lessen my opinion on the game. But based on the above dialogue, the whole dream sequence, and later with TIfa where he's still having trouble telling her how he feels, I don't see how that could be the case.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

I really like the first act of FF9 and then I can never care enough about the gameplay or the story past that first act finale, and reading plot synopses I am lead to believe that the writers also did not care enough past that point.

This is true. They took the lighthearted charm of the first half, removed it, and replaced it with extremely long dungeons and anime philosophy.

Makes you think. So deep.

It was also surprising how little there was to Zidane and Garnet's relationship after the build up in the first half.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

IX was just "that game." If anybody talked about it, it was about how unremarkable it was.

Just like how FFV once upon a time was "that unimportant game sandwiched between two masterpieces"

Both are still true.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Is Final Fantasy XII good? If so, when does it get good?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I agree with this sentiment but of course you'll get varying opinions. But if you don't like it now, there's a very good chance you won't like it later,

Well, is it known for having a extremely slow start? At first, you're just going on a hunt, then going around a desert touching a stone to 4 things, then going into the sewers to sneak into a party. Pretty weak stuff. After that, you meet some guys and it looks like something is finally happening but it just leads to a prison dungeon and more desert wandering. Then you're back in the first town and have to walk to three different places in the town finding people. 7 hours.

I didn't like the first few hours when you were by yourself but once you got characters, it became okay. That's where I'm at now. It's okay.

It really feels like you should be able to freely attack without waiting for the ATB. But the fight system isn't bad. It's kind of intriguing setting up a RPG to play itself. I've never done that before. Although I'm not sure yet about the license system and needing to do hunts for money. That seems like unnecessary tedium right now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Gologle posted:

I...don't think ff is for you lol

Your name is misspelled. Did you know?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm pretty sure XII got amazing reviews at the time

It'd be interesting to see what kind of scores it would get today though

Any big Square game got amazing reviews back then. Even FF8 and Chrono Cross, games with some pretty huge objective flaws yet still got near perfect scores.

I'm playing FF12 for the first time. This Sandsea part really sucks. I remember someone mentioning that to me a few ages ago.

Even though the game plays itself mostly, I think back to some other FFs like FF9 where the regular battles are just as mindless. At least in this one, I can read the forums on my laptop while the battle is going on. So it's not as annoying as FF9's battles.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Whenever I'm losing a battle in FF12 and I have to run away, I then have to run around in circles as my MP slowly builds up and the characters cast cure on each other. I must be doing something wrong because the game can't actually expect you to do that. Someone wouldn't possibly have thought that was a good idea. Would they?

General Morden posted:

12 has a good soundtrack, has a cool universe, and the story is kinda interesting/intricate

production quality wise, for its time, i'd say it's pretty impressive

it's almost like a telltale game based on what i just said

I've been playing FF12 for 13 hours. Still patiently waiting for the story to get interesting. Or to think it has a cool universe. So far it's just a lot of sand.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

also lol @ skipping every cutscene she's in just because you can't stand the idea of a VA who doesn't sound generically american or british, have fun watching exactly 2 cutscenes in the game

I'm about 20 hours into FF12. So far I can say the game would be drastically better if he did skip every cutscene. This is some dull poo poo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I'm playing Star Ocean 2 and Chrono Cross right now. While they're both very bad games, Chrono Cross is easily much better. I feel like CC is at least trying. At least CC has the music and great atmospheric places like the Dead Sea and Chronopolis.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

It is not that every aspect of game play has no impact on my connections to the story or characters. Some do have an influence on those things but many do not. It is those that do not which are usually more unique to video games in general. The game play features that do invoke connections to story/characters for me have never done so in a way that was unique to video games.

What do you think about when RPGs use silent protagonists and they want you to be the character?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

I usually feel more disconnected with my character which in turn makes me a bit more bored with him/her, but if the other game play elements such as combat and exploring intrigue me enough then I will still play for many hours and be perfectly content.

It's supposed to make you more connected with the story because it's your story, not someone else's.

The creator of Mother 3 has stressed in interviews how important it is that the things in the story are happening to you. One example is when you're a hostage that gets shocked by your captor when you disobey a command. Then in battles against monsters, the same person that was tormenting you comes to your aid. He said that would probably be something a player hadn't felt before.

In the making of the South Park game, Parker and Stone said how it annoyed them that in Mass Effect even through you get 3 options of what to say, none of them is exactly the way they would say it, and none of them sound like how they would sound. That's why in SP, the lead character you control is silent. Because it's you and your story. That's something unique to video games.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

FF13 was lovely, we all agree. Now let's spend some time talking about how lovely FF12 was.

I made these posts on FF12 a month ago.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is Final Fantasy XII good? If so, when does it get good?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, is it known for having a extremely slow start? At first, you're just going on a hunt, then going around a desert touching a stone to 4 things, then going into the sewers to sneak into a party. Pretty weak stuff. After that, you meet some guys and it looks like something is finally happening but it just leads to a prison dungeon and more desert wandering. Then you're back in the first town and have to walk to three different places in the town finding people. 7 hours.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I've been playing FF12 for 13 hours. Still patiently waiting for the story to get interesting. Or to think it has a cool universe. So far it's just a lot of sand.

I'm now 22 hours in. Just past the jungle. It has not gotten better. I'm starting to guess that it never will. Still waiting for a reason to care about anything in the story.

The characters are going find information about a stone because the princess wants power. Why should I care? I don't even know why Van, Penolo, Balthier, and Fran care. It makes no difference to me whether Ashe beats the Empire or the Empire beats Ashe because I barely know anything about Ashe and I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the Empire. Larsa seems okay and he's with the Empire and vouches for the Empire. Vayne is telling people to keep the peace, saying even if you don't like him or the empire, the former king would have wanted peace. Sounds like good advice. Maybe Ashe should just stop and not create another war.

You know next to nothing about all of the characters. Maybe if they had interesting personalities, that wouldn't matter, but the only one who isn't bland as hell is Balthier. And I have no idea why he's even with them. I have to know why he's doing things to care about what he's doing. He was even asked "Why are you with us?" He answered to see the story unfold. Well ok. He must be bored. Van was asked as well and had a similar "Oh I dunno, it's something to do" answer.

The regular battles play themselves. You just press up and the characters attack until the enemies are dead. As for the boss battles, well, they're just tedious. The last boss battle, the Elder Wyrm, was annoying. He wasn't difficult. He just had too much HP and inflicted status ailments all the time. He had 70,000 HP and my best attacks took off 700 HP. It was just a tedious ordeal that took about 20-30 minutes.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

If you want I could call the police to arrest the guy holding you at gunpoint to play video games you don't like

I assumed it had to get good at one point. Lots of people like it. I didn't think everyone was just full of poo poo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

You're right, all positive conversation about this game was a conspiracy to trick you into thinking the opposite of the objective truth that it's a bad game. What's an opinion?

I'm glad you agree.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

If you're 20 hours into a game and you're still not having fun, stop playing, stop chasing the elusive 21st hour improvement, it's not going to happen. If it does happen it's still probably not worth it.

<<lots of posts>>

I know some had told me to quit a few hours in. But someone else said

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes it is a good game but it takes a while. The first few dungeons/areas are pretty boring.

I really didn't want to quit before the story even started. I wanted to give it a real chance. It still feels like the story hasn't started though honestly.

Xavier434 posted:

This opinion is wrong.

Correct.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Hedy Burress comes off the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsXc5PWHzk She has the same slow speaking style and laugh as Yuna. It feels like she is Yuna irl.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This is the road trip japanese boy band Final Fantasy, right? People actually plan to buy that?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

...I tried to write up a one-sentence of FFVII and failed completely, so actually, maybe the story is kind of convoluted after all.

I honestly had thought you were joking. "It's not hard, it's just <crazy convoluted poo poo involving memories, clones, creatures taking people's forms, and negative energy that 0.002% of the people that played the game figured out>"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Terper posted:

I can't wait to play a boring game in HD

Just think of the detail as you're in the desert walking around 100 identical circles for 2 hours.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I'll second the DS version being the best version. Gameplay is more important than graphics. DS FF4 takes the ordinary cakewalk gameplay of FF4 and makes it challenging and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cocksmith posted:

you know, replaying ff9, Zidane feels a little less "dashing rogue" and a little more "sexual predator".

That's the way he always felt to me. Don't know why anyone liked him.