Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey guys welcome to crab smilie thread.

If you like it, Capn, I bet you could get an admin to fix it.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Makes sense. Thank you!

Edit: given recent events it would be funny if someone hacked that app and changed the emoji to say Death to Khamenei

Given the context of the Marg bar Amrika slogan, مرگ بر ایران would make more sense ("Death to Iran")

ookiimarukochan has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Nov 22, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Zesty posted:

Hey guys welcome to crab smilie thread.

If you like it, Capn, I bet you could get an admin to fix it.

I would like to request additional colors between red and yellow. I'm not especially photosensitive but it's giving me a bit of a headache as is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How very interesting. I think you should make a QCS thread about it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tricky Ed posted:

I would like to request additional colors between red and yellow. I'm not especially photosensitive but it's giving me a bit of a headache as is.
Try taking some crab tylenol.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tricky Ed posted:

Garishness is a feature, not a bug, of the animaldrug smilies.

Anyways, thanks to Zesty for making a cool corrected version, hopefully it's on its way to getting swapped in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crabs aren’t bugs!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Data Graham posted:

Crabs aren’t bugs!!!

Some lobsters are bugs, according to the Australian government
https://www.afma.gov.au/fisheries-management/species/bugs

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

With sufficient time, bugs are crabs though

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Data Graham posted:

Crabs aren’t bugs!!!

In colloquial use, the word "bug" often refers to both insects of all kinds and also arachnids such as spiders and scorpions. Now, insects and arachnids are essentially as far apart on the arthropod family tree as possible, sharing no common traits/genes other than those common to all arthropods. In other words, the common ancestor of both insects and arachnids is also the common ancestor of all arthropods, including crabs. So whatever exactly the word "bug" refers to (which we may argue about), whether it's talking about traits (hard shells, segmented bodies, etc.) or it's talking about a particular relational group, if it refers to both insects and arachnids, it must refer to a group that includes crabs and all other arthropods. Therefore, crabs are bugs.

You cannot make the same argument about bats, as they belong to a wildly different bough of the animal family tree, so the jury's still out on whether they're bugs or not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well, you're the one giving the report.

Also, nice username

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What about bunnies?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Aphrodite posted:

What about bunnies?

Well, as with bats, we'd have to make some kind of determination of what "bug" actually means. Since bunnies, like bats, are vertebrates, and we know that "bug" includes some non-vertebrate animals, any sensible definition of "bug" that includes bats also includes bunnies, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

So I guess that means we should really tackle the question: are bats bugs?

Ultimately, if we decide that both insects and bats are bugs, then we are compelled by phylogeny to include at minimum all of clade Nephrozoa, which includes the vast majority of bilaterally symmetric animals, including all vertebrates, echinoderms (sea stars, urchins, etc.), arthropods (as previously discussed), tardigrades, nematode worms, segmented worms (earthworms etc.), molluscs (clams, squids, etc.), flatworms, rotifers, and a variety of other smaller groups of animals. At which point you have to ask, what's NOT included? Cniderians (jellyfish, anemones, etc.), comb jellies, sponges, placozoa (a small obscure group of simple animals), and obviously anything that isn't an animal. Given that the list of animal groups included in this definition is larger than the list excluded, I'm inclined to say that any such definition is not particularly useful. And honestly if you're expanding "bug" to include things like clams and sea cucumbers and junk, at that point I think you ought to include other squishy sea things like sponges and jellyfish, and suddenly you're looking at a definition of "bug" that just means "animal."

Therefore I would say that "bug" should be used merely as a colloquial term for "arthropod." So I would personally argue that while crabs are bugs, bunnies and bats are not. Sorry, Calvin.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Bugs” very commonly includes things that aren’t alive at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Horses are a type of bug

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Horses are a type of bug

That's why they're so deathly afraid of ants.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

brb, making a smilie of a giant shoe squashing horses and bats.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

itry posted:

brb, making a smilie of a giant shoe squashing horses and bats.

It's just how I imagined the future

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Improbable Lobster posted:

Horses are a type of bug

Radical bug anarchy

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What is the "X is stored in the X" thing referring to?

\/\/ much gratitude good goon \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Dec 2, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

What is the "X is stored in the X" thing referring to?

The pee is stored in the balls meme

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay so what are unintentional coding artifacts?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay so what are unintentional coding artifacts?

Uh, all of them, I think.

I love misquoting movies
John Connor : We've got company.

Miles Dyson : Police?

Sarah Connor : How many?

John Connor : All of 'em, I think.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a copy of that old emote of the ghost with downs and "it is a mitwee" or something beside him?

I have no idea when to start looking for it. No luck with wayback yet.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh poo poo! I'm Happ this popped up! Isn't there a Triumph the insult comic dog smiley?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone have a copy of that old emote of the ghost with downs and "it is a mitwee" or something beside him?

I have no idea when to start looking for it. No luck with wayback yet.

:iiam: ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i assume they meant an edited version

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, there was a :downs: option for a while. Looked cute.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, there was a :downs: option for a while. Looked cute.

I don't believe there was as an official smilie. Sometimes people make and use their own.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Literally A Person posted:

Oh poo poo! I'm Happ this popped up! Isn't there a Triumph the insult comic dog smiley?

I recall one too, but can't find it even on wayback machine for the smilies page.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i can imagine a triumph smiley

probably not the one youre thinking of, but its like the wolf blitzer :wow: but instead it says you know etc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How did Ribkid come to prominence?

Was this a forums thing or an internet wide thing?
Cursory searches for ribkid on google only bring up links from SA.

Was ribkid a goon? When did ribkid become a "thing"?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mid 2000s? I don't know where goons got the picture but his stunningly symmetrical face set the forums ablaze. No, I don't think that meme ever really left the forums though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mid 2000s? I don't know where goons got the picture but his stunningly symmetrical face set the forums ablaze. No, I don't think that meme ever really left the forums though.

Yeah I just checked knowyourmeme.com and apparently they don't have a listing for it

E: SAclopedia claims that it's a photo of goon localClient: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1258
I'm guessing the photo first came to prominence in an old [goons.jpeg] thread

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Dec 24, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

THanks.

Who would have thought that such a phenomenon would stay confined to the forums.
I just looked through the SAclopedia link and see that theres a thread with Ribkid eating pizza. The photo isn't there anymore (at least not on the first page) but it seems he's not nearly as enthusiastic about pizza.

E: there is a picture of him on page 2 with (possibly) another goon.

E2: Ribkid posted in that thread.
Profile: https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=44543

wesleywillis has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Dec 24, 2023

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

wesleywillis posted:

but it seems he's not nearly as enthusiastic about pizza.

Heartbreaking

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I actually sent ribkid a PM and told him to come back to the forums.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wesleywillis posted:

I actually sent ribkid a PM and told him to come back to the forums.

respect

im gonna do it top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Probably tough to make a forums comeback when you're in prison for cannibalism