Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

btw if you want some catalogue words added to a smiley then post in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

En fuego!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

As Google transitions to Chat from Hangouts, it's discontinuing support for third-party chat apps like Pidgin--which I've been clinging hard to pretty much only because of its support for custom SA smilies. Technology and modding and poo poo has come a long way since that resource hit, though; is there a way to incorporate our smilies into some kind of custom emoji keyboard for Windows or Android? (I think there's one for iOS.) Hell, I'll make sure the people I use smilies with have the same software on their end so nothing gets tofu'd. Not being able to garnish my messages with a choice smartass smiley will suck. :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Discord has custom emoji support and most SA subforum related discords have at least some of the favourites.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If they're work buddies you could also always add custom smiles to a slack channel. My office really embraced using :same:.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep adding :thurman: to every new work slack.

It's very useful. :iiam: is less so because it doesn't scale well

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, you gotta really game some of them. For :same: I made it a simple 2x2 square with the top letters being the pink "S A" and the bottom letters the yellow "M E"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, it's just my immediate family--folks, husband, kid--so Discord or Slack feels like overkill, especially if we don't use them for anything else. Oh, well. Thanks for the suggestions!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, it's just my immediate family--folks, husband, kid--so Discord or Slack feels like overkill, especially if we don't use them for anything else. Oh, well. Thanks for the suggestions!

I saved tiny .png screenshot images of smilies like :colbert: and :3: so I can paste them into my emails and texts, and I have no regrets.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

I saved tiny .png screenshot images of smilies like :colbert: and :3: so I can paste them into my emails and texts, and I have no regrets.
You know, I do have all of the smilies I use (and many I don't) as individual graphic files on my HDD, thanks to that custom Pidgin set...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I keep adding :thurman: to every new work slack.

It's very useful. :iiam: is less so because it doesn't scale well

I made these for precisely that reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oooo, helpful. Thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nuevo posted:

I made these for precisely that reason.

you should align them so they say

it is a mystery
mystery solved

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

who's this

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

is it the rock

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It says Jabroni so clearly it's meant to be you, the viewer

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Can anyone explain :polls: or :30bux:? The second one especially is a very mysterious code for a black rectangle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Akratic Method posted:

Can anyone explain :polls: or :30bux:? The second one especially is a very mysterious code for a black rectangle.

30 Bux is what it costs to buy a smiley.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:30bux: is for when you want to be a scamp and make fake spoiler blocks

The polls one I'm not totally sure but think it had to do with the 2016 election

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Akratic Method posted:

30bux is a monolith from A Space Odyssey. It is the right proportions, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if you want to know what the poll smiley is about, just google "piss tape is real"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pinecone Sample posted:

30bux is a monolith from A Space Odyssey. It is the right proportions, too.

I'd guess it was bought around the same time as :ins: and :ovr: mostly for use in yospos and then as quickly forgotten as a lowtax get rich quick scheme.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If I remember correctly somebody wanted to get something that didn't fit in the size requirements and an admin told them to just buy something and they'd upload the one they actually wanted, so we got the black rectangle.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Akratic Method posted:

trump, elections, and polling hysteria. i forget the specifics of why i made it.

:pisstape:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What's the story behind :luca:?

I always thought it was a little mischievous devil face, until I saw folks using it with cute animal pics and looked up its name. Is it someone's pet or something?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's the story behind :luca:?

I always thought it was a little mischievous devil face, until I saw folks using it with cute animal pics and looked up its name. Is it someone's pet or something?

Yes! Though I guess Luca the sheperd isn't actually the goon's dog, but belongs to the people he lived with. They just bonded really well.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just posting to say Luca got a treat this morning for being the best boy that wakes up at 3am to say goodbye to me as I leave for work

I love this goof, i really do

Edit: Found the original post suggesting it.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Can we get a :luca: emoji that's kinda like the :catstare: but it's :buddy: with gigantic pointy ears

Hobo on Fire has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Jul 17, 2022

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
from way back on page 96

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think :temporary: was mentioned in this thread already.

The gist of it was that someone wanted to add an emote that was slightly larger than the max dimensions. Some admin would do it for them, but they had to actually buy an emote first. So they bought :temporary:, and the admin added in the actual emote they wanted.

prefect posted:

You are correct. :30bux:

Ozma was the kind admin.

and from page 55

Hydrolith posted:

It turns out all the smilies on http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies have mouse-over text. :30bux: claims to be "2001 Monolith".

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Jul 17, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hobo on Fire posted:

Yes! Though I guess Luca the sheperd isn't actually the goon's dog, but belongs to the people he lived with. They just bonded really well.

Edit: Found the original post suggesting it.

Oh that's awesome, thank you! :luca:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i miss the alt text on the smilies page; it helped explain a few of the jokes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zamujasa posted:

i miss the alt text on the smilies page; it helped explain a few of the jokes

:same:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i liked them but i use the tag search daily. it's an Easy Trade for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I miss some of the popup sentences on them, but my brain is too dumb to remember most of the actual smiley names so I like having all the newer keyword tags that replaced them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The loss of the :banjo: text however was a tragedy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Turns out I have a backup of the smilies page from about a month before the tag system was implemented if anyone wants to see what the text would have been for some of the more recent smilies

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QQ9rbRiP6G7qwds5eMBKHoIgVKpm1Y5e/view?usp=sharing

The preview doesn't display correctly but the page looks normal when it's downloaded

zetamind2000 has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Jul 19, 2022

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Looks like I forgot to set the file to share, it's fixed now

Archive.org has a version of the page from a few months before my backup if anyone wants to see it directly

https://web.archive.org/web/20200324232520/https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies

It's a little incomplete but it's basically the best version still online

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We should put it in the SAclopedia somehow, or something

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Data Graham posted:

We should put it in the SAclopedia somehow, or something

As far as I know SAclopedia articles don't have embedded images so the best you could do is add both links

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

zetamind2000 posted:

Turns out I have a backup of the smilies page from about a month before the tag system was implemented if anyone wants to see what the text would have been for some of the more recent smilies

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QQ9rbRiP6G7qwds5eMBKHoIgVKpm1Y5e/view?usp=sharing

The preview doesn't display correctly but the page looks normal when it's downloaded
I can look into how hard it would be to have both these and the tags. I embarrassingly overwrote my own backup of these and would have had to use archive.org so I appreciate you having a good copy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can look into how hard it would be to have both these and the tags. I embarrassingly overwrote my own backup of these and would have had to use archive.org so I appreciate you having a good copy.

Thanks! Hopefully this is one of the times my archiving habit pays off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Not sure exactly what you are trying to preserve or when this list was run but

https://lparchive.org/Smilies/smiliesList.txt

it is over 77,000 characters so not easy to copy and paste into a post