Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

A Slice of Bread posted:

Here's why!:

I like to imagine you're answering the question about why bakon [sic] is being thrown at the girl. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Radio Paranoia posted:

Gonk comes from this front page article, where the word describes the contents perfectly!

Are you sure about that? I have this really strong feeling that emote was around before 2006. It sounds more like pantsfish appropriated the term from the emote.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Toast Museum posted:

No, it says :filez:, though there used to be a :fliez: as well.

Their comment confused me at first, too. They mean the mouseover on this page.

VVVV The closest thing I remember was a folder on each side and a piece of paper twirling through the space between them.

KnifeWrench has a new favorite as of 23:32 on May 31, 2012

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Why is there a banner ad for a camgirl?

Same reason there're banner ads for other products/services?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Oppenheimer posted:

Isn't that camgirl a goon as well? I saw someone with an avatar of her and a title that linked to her site.

I guess it could be a big fan.

Yeah, I think so. Capt. Morgan if memory serves.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Smelly posted:

Wasn't that from the thread that "Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded" came from?

Or am I thinking of :angel:?

Well, that wasn't a thread. It was a front page article.

If there was a thread to go along with it, I apologize, but it seemed like the emails were private until the article went up (at least to me).

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DoctorWhat posted:

Knitting, maybe?

Looks like Dancing in Jorts 101

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Edit: missed new page; thoroughly beaten

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Ok, probably gonna get made fun of for this but what does YOSPOS stand for?

Frankly, I've appreciated how illuminating the answers to even "obvious" questions have been, so I'll give you a straight answer:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2154

The name, as I've always understood it, was a play off of YCS (Your Console Sucks, a former FYAD-lite subforum of Games)

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

NuclearPotato posted:

Sorry to break up the butt parade, but how come :shepicide: doesn't pull the trigger on his gun?

I believe it's an iteration on :smithicide:, where :smith: is clearly too much of a failure to even follow through with it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

LateToTheParty posted:

So who is Hannah and why is bacon being thrown at her?

What is an axe maniac?

Why Mufasa?

What's a gurf?

The fact that you embedded these as timgs instead of using the emoticon code is mind-boggling.

The Hannah one was answered earlier in the thread, I think.

Axemaniac is a mod of Games; not sure of the specific story of the smiley, but it doesn't strike me as odd that he'd be associated with Mega Man.

No idea on the other two.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Halifax posted:

It's a reference to the Pink Flyer thread, where a goon found pink flyers with the phrase "Why is this flyer pink?" on them, and started posting his own. One of the variations has the ghost from :iiam: on it with the phrase "It is a mystery"

But yeah, it's because ghosts are mysterious.

Looking at the aforementioned thread, it seems more like the flyer was a reference to the emoticon.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Wheany posted:

:colbert: was one of the suggestions in the GBS thread, but everyone thought that it was lovely looking, so it didn't get bought there. It took some time before someone posted :crossarms:, but by that point FYAD had bought :colbert: already

And holy poo poo was :iamafag: (as "awesome") everywhere for a while. After it was replaced with :awesome:, someone bought back :iamafag:, but with the code :fuckyou:. I'm not sure if :fuckyou: was a message from the buyer to the admins or from the admins to the buyer. :fuckyou: was deleted (or maybe renamed to "iamafag") at some point.

While we're on the topic, what's the deal with :razz:? I get that it's just mirrored, but why is it razz?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Guesticles posted:

:razz::hf::iamafag:

unless you're asking why razz was chosen as the text. Then I have no idea.

A little of both. This helps, but I'm still curious about the name.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

UZworm posted:

What's Thurman doing in there?

Spiking a football. :pseudo:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Pierzak posted:

It'd be fun if they're substantiated speculation but turn out wrong. So much rage for nothing :allears:

That happened around the Harry Potter stuff too. Someone bought people avatars that had false spoilers in big flashing letters. I don't know if they were intentionally false or not, but I know at least one person who got really upset when I showed them a thread.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
That's crazy! He doesn't even consistently cross them the same way! :colbert:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Pierzak posted:

We'll be collecting royalties for that emote soon, thank you.

Oh, you work for Stephen Colbert?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

barbarianbob posted:

The troll face emoticon is a blight on the forums. It is the cancer that is killing SA.

Wait, then what's Forums Cancer?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, a bunch of goons are just mad about it for some reason.

Okay, I guess I'll be the guy who's not in the loop: What hot dog shack?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

:mrgw2:

The gently caress is this and why do some people have it as an avatar?

Homestuck

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

A Bystander posted:

How stupid does something have to be before goons don't toss money at it?

The stupider it is, the funnier someone will think it is to throw money at. See also: Potato Salad Kickstarter.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, putting his hand up, saying "Um, excuse me, but __________"

Conditioned by this crew, perhaps: :eng101: :engleft: :science: :viggo: :flashfact: :hist101: :black101: :chef: :fsn: :dota101: :orks101: :jewish: :catholic: :whip:

(holy poo poo there were a lot more of those than I realized)

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Who's this long-faced dude with the soul patch? I know I've seen him before, and he showed a couple of times in that linked thread, so I figure maybe he's got some goon back story?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

sebmojo posted:

:itisanazijoke:

Is it, actually? Normally, I wouldn't be interested, but this is the explanatory thread, and I always thought it was a reference to the garden variety death penalty gas chamber

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

LordSaturn posted:

There is a subforum where good threads go when they run their course, called the Comedy Gold Mine.

There is another subforum where bad threads go to be locked and forgotten by the world, called the Comedy Gas Chamber.

Gassing a thread means sending it to the Comedy Gas Chamber.

Yeah I know that. I just don't know whether there comedy gas chamber is a nazi or death penalty joke.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
:roflolmao: ?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Time Dissolver posted:

Isn't part of the reason extras are instructed to say nonsense is to prevent the possibility of having to credit them for a speaking role?

Sounds like a plausible side benefit, but it really is an audio thing. They are particularly interested in avoiding 's' sounds, iirc.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Except in San Francisco.

:itwaspoo:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah we did a home visit for my beloved pet and I get not wanting their last moments to be a terrifying trip to the vet, but just dosing them with random DIY poo poo is not a good thing

Like, what if they got things wrong?

Yeah, having known someone who survived a suicide attempt using similar methods, let me tell you that it can be very unpleasant to live through an overdose. I'm glad it apparently worked out in this case, because the alternative horrifies me.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Well color me sheepish. I always thought these we randomized and effectively unique. (I am usually on mobile so rarely see them)

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

peepsalot posted:

How much for a bleak gremlin bro

Looks like $80. I have a transaction for $30 and $50, and I remember having "Soiled Meat" for some time, so I guess it counts cumulatively.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

What the poo poo is this one? :woof:
I assume since its a dog, and dogs get excited over poo poo (easily), that its something you post when you find out something that excites you? Like "gently caress yeah, the new flavoured sex lube is out and its super banana flavour (or whatever the gently caress).

:stare:

Is it not just a dog? And you'd use it when posting about dogs? Like, on the pet forum?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Grassy Knowles posted:

For the rest of your dayyyyyys

It's our (((problem)))-free philosophy!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DarkHorse posted:

Can you open the image in editing software and resale it to change the canvas to force it to be square before uploading it to slack?

Yes, but it still has maximum dimensions (at least for reactions), so anything with a substantial aspect ratio just gets crushed.

KnifeWrench has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Sep 11, 2019

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

alexandriao posted:

Is... there a rehost of this image?

It was approximately this screenshot:

KnifeWrench has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Nov 19, 2019

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Iron Crowned posted:

That character was also named Ironicat

Not sure if you're serious, but the character was named Kat Tut

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Artistic intent aside, a song ostensibly about irony that contains no examples of irony is, itself, a pretty decent example of irony.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicFrog posted:

What about :fyh: though?

grading essays nude posted:

It's from a GBS thread about this guy dealing with a really dumb student and her horrible stories, which included that line (I believe the character in the story was a Muslim). The girl in the avatar is the student. It was a pretty funny thread but I have no idea what made someone decide it was worth spending $30 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Freudian posted:

I know this is nothing to do with what you're talking about but you made me remember the Pizza Tomb:

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/830145270902038530?lang=en

I cannot even visualize how this would work.