Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I guess that still leaves a place for the Black Dog/Chimera who uses Power Arm to one-hand a massive fire-axe (refluffed Two Handed Sword) and wield her Cyber Arm (fluffed as massive superhuman strength) in her off-hand. Since she could still do 5 Guard or choose to use the more accurate, less-damaging arm without having to swap weapons, but makes it a bit less valuable than combining them to 8 Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I ran a fairly long Double Cross campaign that ended with the players fighting through several sections of a bullet train speeding towards Tokyo. The train was carrying an artifact powerful enough to awaken anyone who was within a mile of its radius. The players started at the back of the train with their reasonable encroachment percentages and got progressively more powerful as they moved forward, with their encroachment reaching critical levels when they fought the main bad guys. Double Cross' system is really good at creating that kind of drama where it's more about the players getting dangerously close to the point of no return.

And then I got the Infinity Code book and the Ouroboros syndrome is so much more powerful than anything else that it made me wonder if I missed a line somewhere explaining that it shouldn't be used by the players. I really wish the books weren't filled with typos and mistakes because it always made me think that certain powers were just not translated correctly at all.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm pretty sure the lack of proofing played a large part in the rules being too confusing for me and my group.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So apparently someone over on 4/tg/ released a translated, image-free copy of Tokyo NOVA: the Axleration (along with a bunch of supplemental material). Long and the short of it for those who don't know what it is, it's a neat cyberpunk rpg that uses both actual playing cards along with the Tarot Major Arcana to come up with a really neat system. Obviously, I can't link much of anything here due to :filez:, but even a google search for "tokyo nova axleration 4chan" has that as the first result.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tokyo NOVA: the Axleration posted:

Remember the Rule of Cool? Miracles are the means players have, in mechanical form, to do awesome things in TOKYO N◎VA, when and where they want to.

Tokyo NOVA: the Axleration posted:

You'll notice that the descriptions of some Miracles, such as Highlander's «Nemesis» and Neuro's «Deus Ex Machina», are unhelpful jokes. That's because these particular Miracles defy succinct description; if you're creative enough, they can potentially do almost anything.

pre:
No.		Style		Miracle		Effect
...		...		...		...
17		Highlander	Nemesis		Unleash the terrible secret of space
:ssh:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Tell me more about Tokyo Nova.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was already mentioned in another thread, but the backer pre-release of Mononoke Koyake is out. It's really neat and has really good art; I'm not always a fan of Ike's stuff (particularly the tendency to get pervy with the underage characters, and sometimes some animals or things look off), but the mononoke pictures in this are amazing. Rules seem pretty interesting too; I'm actually about to start up a GSS game with some friends, and while they won't be coming immediately I already have quite a few ideas for how to use the various mononoke eventually.

On a tangent from that, are there any good places to learn more about Japanese countryside stuff and cultural things in general? The game talks about how you don't need to be 100% accurate or anything, but I'd still like to learn a bit more. Particularly curious about things like shrines; I tried looking up more about fox shrines and stuff, but Googling "fox shrine" just gets me info on major Inari shrines, not the smaller shrines like what GSS seems to be referring to for the foxes and local gods, which seem to be small structures rather than full buildings you could conceivably enter, and likewise any other searches related to Shinto shrines get the large buildings. Are there any good resources I could check, both for this and other potentially-relevant things?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

This was already mentioned in another thread, but the backer pre-release of Mononoke Koyake is out. It's really neat and has really good art; I'm not always a fan of Ike's stuff (particularly the tendency to get pervy with the underage characters, and sometimes some animals or things look off), but the mononoke pictures in this are amazing.?

Yeah, I read some of Ike's Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki awhile back, and it may as well be the Golden Sky Stories manga... except for the rather inappropriately lewd stuff. While it eventually seems to fade away, it's why I can't really recommend it even to GSS fans.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's a shame. Still, the mononoke art for Mononoke Koyake is pretty great and thankfully not creepy (well, not creepy in that way; some of them are a bit unnerving but that's part of what makes it so good).

Also, found the word for the small shrines, hokora or hokura. While still technically shrines, searching with that word is getting me what I was looking for, whereas just using the word "shrine" got me the big ones and whatnot. There's also setsumatsusha, which are small shrines at a larger shrine, as opposed to the miniature shrines that may be on the grounds of a large one or on a road outside the shrine grounds.

Edit: Man, looking up the mononoke, some of them have myths where they're actually pretty nasty and terrifying. And then some others are just as harmless in legend as they are in Golden Sky Stories.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Neopie posted:

Tell me more about Tokyo Nova.

It seems to be Shadowrun seen through the lens of Tenra Bansho Zero using rules similar to Double Cross. It's basically the premise of Shadowrun but plus one apocalypse - all humanity live in giant arcology megaplexes because there's an ice age out there, everything is run by the space-based megacorporations who built the arcologies, there's magic and cybertechnology and so on. Mechanically it seems to use TBZ's premise that you should start out as a badass: character archetypes include one of the white people from Elysium who can literally ring up their space station for help and get a Deus Ex Machina (examples include orbital death rays onto your enemies), a Moriarty-style crime lord, ninja assassins, people with literal battle mechs and so on. The system is relatively rules light and has something akin to Double Cross's combos, but not quite as intricate. A big part of the rules is whether you are allowed to show up to a scene or not: the 'appearance check' (ie can I actually appear in this scene) is heavily modified by stuff like how many weapons are you carrying, are you a war cyborg or horrible mutant or something, the security level of the area the scene is taking place in and so on. Tarot Cards play a role: everyone picks a Tarot Card as an archetype, and every scene draws a Tarot card which represents that scene's "flavour" (like if the card is Death, there will be a big change involved.) Once per scene, a player can use their Tarot Card as a wild card in a skill check and the scene's flavour changes to that Tarot Card. The game is actually diceless - instead of rolling dice, you have a hand of four cards and can play one of them to add to your attribute and get your result. Each stat is a suit (Spades is intellect, Hearts is passion, Diamonds is wealth and social connections, Clubs is physical prowess) and the more ranks you have in a skill, the more suits you can actually play valid cards from for skill checks with that skill. Damage is a big chart of wound effects which you look up. There are Social, Mental and Physical wound tracks and social characters can literally destroy someone's reputation to the point where they're not allowed to show up in scenes any more. Mental attacks can render you catatonic. Each character archetype has what's called a "Miracle" which is basically a superpower. These are all incredibly cool and overpowered, ranging from the Highlander's space station based Deus Ex Machina, to the Katana's instakill, the Kabuto's invulnerability and the Truth's ability to force someone to tell the truth.

Overall, would play. Have not tried it yet, but I'm trying to get a group together.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is anyone here familiar with the 90s tabletop and play-by-mail game Hourai Gakuen no Bouken (The Adventures of Hourai High)? There's an LP going on of the SNES RPG based on it in the LP forum and it sounds so like my jam, but alas, the game has never been translated, even though it is available for free download.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I saw a really interesting PbM game while back from a few years ago when I was sourcing some art, but I imagine by their nature those sorts of Japanese games are very hard to dig up info on.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How are people liking Ryuutama now that it's been out for a while? I'm likely going to be GMing it with friends and I was wondering if there are any overall impressions people have about it, or any pitfalls to avoid falling into with the system.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Cephas posted:

How are people liking Ryuutama now that it's been out for a while? I'm likely going to be GMing it with friends and I was wondering if there are any overall impressions people have about it, or any pitfalls to avoid falling into with the system.

I personally dig the gently caress out of its travel rules and think that any elfgame where journeys through the wilderness are A Thing should ape them. The game I got in was all new players and met intermittently at best, so I never really put the system through its paces. Dealing with Conditions seems like it would suck real bad without the Cleric equivalent, as they're the main way to remove negative conditions without making it to town, IIRC.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Cephas posted:

Don't try and make it a heavy combat/intrigue thing. It's about a chill journey through the country side with fun adventures; embrace that.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In a session of Tenra Bansho Zero last night, I did 56 damage to somebody in a single blow. Celestial Form Kung fu: the hype is real.

(to those who don't know what I'm talking about, my character had 14 hit points and was unusually tough)

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

did that one "the world is a wacky jrpg dungeon" game ever get translated?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Meikyuu Kingdom? Nope. There were some rumblings that it had gotten picked up, but then nothing. Been a few years now.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grassy gnoll posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom? Nope. There were some rumblings that it had gotten picked up, but then nothing. Been a few years now.

That's more or less true. We got no-sold by the Japanese publishers after we did a demo TL for them so they could run their games at Essen Spiel 2012 (or 2013?) so our hands are, more or less, tied as far as actually coming up with a real translation. There is a fan one that is floating around by the guy who is partially responsible for some of the translation for Shinobigami, but it doesn't cover the World book at all. The plan was to do the translation from the ground up with the masters that the publisher was supposed to handover, but since that never happened, there was no sale.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Are you guys in licensing hell proper, or just the regular kind of stonewalling from the property owners?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's the latter, we've tried a few side ways to get talking with them but the line producer specifically for Meikyuu is the one who holds the power, so even though other stuff by the publisher is coming out, not that one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a problem in general dealing with licensing from Japan, apparently. Producers can be uncooperative.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
We weren't the first people to get burned on Meikyuu, and we probably won't be the last. It's a shame because that game rules so much.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'll edit this post into nothingness if necessary, but mechanics are not copyrightable material. What's stopping you from making a clone with your own creative content?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

grassy gnoll posted:

I'll edit this post into nothingness if necessary, but mechanics are not copyrightable material. What's stopping you from making a clone with your own creative content?

At a guess, partly because a lot of the attraction of Meikyuu Kingdom is the setting, the class fluff (which is copyrightable) and the art. Not to mention that publishing a clone is a major bridge-burning move, although it sounds like there's not much of a relationship there to destroy.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Waffleman_ posted:

Is anyone here familiar with the 90s tabletop and play-by-mail game Hourai Gakuen no Bouken (The Adventures of Hourai High)? There's an LP going on of the SNES RPG based on it in the LP forum and it sounds so like my jam, but alas, the game has never been translated, even though it is available for free download.

I glanced through it, the setting is wacky and the presentation is fun (the rules are explained in-character by two MC girls) but the system itself is pretty barebones. If I'm remembering it right, the core mechanic is that you have stats in the 5-10 sort of range, then checks have an "Easiness" rating, and you roll 3d6 and try to land under stat+Easiness. It's like some kind of weird backwards Difficulty Rating.

Played Double Cross for the first time the other day, running the "Crumbling Days" scenario out of the book (modified to be a little less On Rails). Strange system, it's got some fun bits but the flow of combat is really strange - you have like 30 HP, most attacks do about 20-30 damage, but once you hit 0 you can keep repeatedly bouncing back up to about 5 HP via Resurrection only to get knocked back down in one hit.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's been a while, but IIRC the game really encourages block over dodge, because block reduces the damage coming in and dodge is all or nothing...but usually all, since there are a lot more ways to boost your attack roll than there are your dodge roll, from what I remember. (But yeah, it is basically a lot of popping back up from near dead.)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's been a while, but IIRC the game really encourages block over dodge, because block reduces the damage coming in and dodge is all or nothing...but usually all, since there are a lot more ways to boost your attack roll than there are your dodge roll, from what I remember. (But yeah, it is basically a lot of popping back up from near dead.)

Which makes it an odd choice that most of the pregen characters have a Block of 1 or 0.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, I like DX a lot but it is weird that there's so much system mastery in synergizing powers that almost immediately boils down to rocket tag and stockpiling extra lives.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

grassy gnoll posted:

Kinda what someone else said, but there's a lot to Meikyuu that isn't just the rules. The game has a sense of humor that comes from its treatment of fantasy/RPG cliches and that shows up in the player classes and jobs, the monsters, the dungeons themselves, even the random encounter charts (of which there are roughly a billion). Even if we did copy the mechanics, that is a lot of stuff to make up. Also, the art. There's a fuckload of unique pictures that add a lot to the flavor of the game, and if we made a clone we'd either have to drop a lot of that or spend a shitload commissioning art for every class, monster, and magic item alongside other art throughout the book.

The art thing was something we were trying to figure out when Bouken stopped answering our questions.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That makes me wonder how the art part of the import-and-translate process works. Are most JTTRPGs licensed as a whole product, or do you have to seek out approval from the designer, publisher and the interior artists as separate entities? I know the JP music industry does weird things along those lines, but music industries are bizarre and litigious wherever you go.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It depends on the publisher and what kinds of rights they want to release for international release, that is, who's going to get paid for artist content usage. In Meikyuu Kingdom's case, there are a lot of artists that basically collaborated with the designer (who is, FWIW, *not* the producer we were working with at the publishing company) and getting all of their sign-offs was a possibility that we had to deal with. We don't have a real way of knowing exactly who was and wasn't on board on the Japanese side of things, but it's a mix of fast and loose and "because we say it's this way, it's this way", or nothing at all.

Meikyuu Kingdom's appeal (at least, for me) was the concept behind the game itself that was also combined with the setting. The mechanics are very simple in terms of conflict resolution and kingdom management as well as dungeon exploration. Not saying that it couldn't be done - even with a basic understanding of the system you'd get how it works, which was intentional - but the mix of CCG-esque "cards" which reflected a wide variety of things in the game world plus basic character abilities did not amount to very much in the way of rules, but a lot in terms of flavor text and art assets.

Regarding the finer details of a start-to-finish process for a localization project, I'd have to defer to Andy, Ewen, or Matt regarding that, because they're the ones who have either completed or are in the process of completing a localization. KH (the guy who did DX's localization) probably could weigh in, if he had an account, but he's been head down for so long I assume he's just keeping everything close to his chest for business reasons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow this really bums me out. I was really looking forward to seeing Meikyuu kingdom realized. The combination of building a place to live with fighting made it seem sort of like hybrid of traditional rpgs with a puzzle-ish sim city type thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the new hotness in Japan's TRPG scene right now?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Has there ever been a Crest of the Stars RPG? The setting seems tailor-made for it but I've never seen anything about one.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm just going to leave this here:

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 6, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

It's not loading whatever it is.

edit: Nice!

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 6, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats awesome, but what won gold?

Also whats with the superimposed dude in the left corner?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's one of the secret ghosts haunting Shadow Moses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Knowing the ENnies, probably something not nearly as good!

• Locked thread