Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mikan posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up Giant Allege, especially since people have been pestering me about it.

I see what you did there.

This is more of a general question but if I wanted to get started on learning some of the basics for reading comprehension for Japanese, mostly getting familiar with the kanji, grammar etc. where should one start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In my experiences (and since I work for a photo gifts company right now that has to do international shipments with UPS on rare occasions), anything that has a pretty exorbitant shipping cost is typically because it has to be declared at customs and isn't going to be shipped on a boat or something silly. They have some serious courier services going on for that kind of stuff, and as a result, they have a very quick turnaround time.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there a Japanese equivalent to organized play such as Pathfinder Society and RPGA? I also had a look at the GSS pdf, that thing is very pretty.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You should start up a thread for it whenever you actually go hang out in Japan.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's coming...!

(reusing jokes from 2010 what up)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I just backed TBZ for 70, yeah! Looking forward to it. Kickstarter is a harsh mistress.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
One of my friends is off teaching in Iwaki City, so I'm going to send her off to Tokyo to see if she can find Meikyuu Kingdom, Giant Allege, Alshard, Arianrhod, Sword World, and any particular Record of Lodoss War stuff! I look forward to the results.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

That sounded like the case since she received her assignment this year and flew out for orientation. Reviewing previous correspondence with her that is in fact the case that she's out there in Iwaki-shi. She seems like she is doing OK!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Just to clarify, Meikyuu Kingdom is two books? Does anybody have the ISBNs for both?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So APPARENTLY. I did not put in 70 for TBZ. I have rectified this situation.

e: Andy and Ewen, get at me, since I wanted to see if you guys were game for getting grilled for a SA tradgames Q&A.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Go to a better izakaya than Ippuku, why don't ya.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Doc Hawkins posted:

People who can make it to The City to do a game-thing, post in the LAN thread about it. The TBZ PDF should be out soon, or there's always Maid. :tohouin:

I have had EXPERIENCE with Maid but it always involved liquor.

If people would like to get together at some point I'd be happy to provide all different kinds of tea (but its Chinese :ohdear:)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm part of a group of goons and some non-goons (one of whom receieved a physical copy of Maid RPG as a gift) and we meet on Saturdays in Berkeley, if you guys want to do a bigger get-together we should get together some time.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DRAKES N CAKES posted:

Wow I could not care less about Bay Area goon meets. How about using the correct thread to discuss it from here on out?

Hey dude thanks for reminding me to make a thread even though you are being a silly fellow about it. For bonus points, I read your post like a valley girl chewing bubblegum and twiddling her hair at the bus stop.

Here's the thread for Bay Area goon meets! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507671

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Are there any specific legality issues if we wanted to scan in the Meikyuu Kingdom cards, TL them, and then get them printed at somewhere like the Game Crafter? I had a peek at what they look like thanks to mikeycp and while they are nicely printed, they're die cut lightweight cardstock, so they might not hold up to some extended punishment.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you can get me Amazon JP links for the full current edition of Meikyuu Kingdom series + the cards, I will probably put an Amazon.jp order in some time in the next month or two!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
More on Meikyuu - I had some ideas brewing for speeding up localization so I sent a line over to Carpe Fulgur, the two goons (BlondRobin and SpaceDrake) who did the excellent localization of Recettear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoners. Their somewhat unique position is ideal for getting a full localization or just a translation done, plus they have a little extra clout since they have an industry record. I talked about it with BitchtitsMcGee and Mikan in IRC just now, so we'll see what comes out of it!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You could translate Giant Allege...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I originally didn't mean to see it as a poaching thing (though in hindsight it does look like that now), I think it's more that I'd like to see Meikyuu Kingdom translated a little faster than just a straight hobby. Having two vying translation projects for it doesn't seem to make sense, and I'd like to see what the options are for a commercial release of the system rather than just a translation that was done on the side as a hobby. Right now, there haven't been any real commitments made, since I wrote the email late last night.

If you'd like, we can get together and talk about it a little more in depth with Mikan and BitchtitsMcGee some time soon outside of the thread and in IRC; then we can iron something out that lets everybody walk away happy! I honestly didn't mean to poo poo all over the efforts you had put in thus far!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, well, get some food and get in IRC since I think we're all in #MeikyuuKingdom right now and we'll talk turkey.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there an OCR program available for Japanese? It seems like it would be handy to identify common game-specific special phrases and find out where they occur in rules text and so forth to grease the wheel on translation.

In other news, SpaceDrake did get back to me and said that they have too much on their plate to consider doing a localization or TL effort. The next step is to reestablish communication lines with APS for Meikyuu Kingdom so that we can see what they can provide to help speed up the process.

For the time being, mikeycp and BitchtitsMcGee appear to be actually working together on this, Rasamune has sort of vanished, and Mikan and I are sort of on the sidelines trying to figure out other logistics.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Attention mikeycp and Rasamune:

If you're still following this thread, I'd appreciate some sort of status report, since I seem to be the only one working on Meikyuu Kingdom anymore.

As for everyone else, uh... sorry about that.

Yeah uh if anybody wants to help with this please let btmg or me know because the aforementioned have some circumstances I hear

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Meikyuu t/l status has stalled again for several months (all the TL crew has disappeared, or can no longer commit to the project). I have a line on a JP-EN interpreter that's looking for freelance work with a bunch of experience which will require cash money, but thus far he hasn't responded specifically to the inquiry yet. Anybody have any lines on a cheap translation/transcription service that isn't basically Google Translate?

To be clear, I don't have any intentions of taking the translation to public/commercial release yet. I'm looking to get a raw translated copy for editing and then we can see where we stand. Considering APS is still non-responsive (as far as I understand it from Mikan), it would be irresponsible/illegal to take a translation to market. I just want a playable English version of the game, already!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm in talks with someone who's contacted me privately about the matter of Meikyuu Kingdom translation, so we'll see how it goes.

Ewen, if I could humbly request for an introduction to Matt Sanchez, that'd be great so that I can get the ball rolling on that whole thing.

If the guy who contacted me that was interested in the project falls through (no big deal guy, "goon project"), then I'll be pursuing other professional channels to get it done. A rough scoping of the work from the ground up includes a full translation of one book, editing of another, and then translation of the intro scenarios, errata, and additional rules, something like 300 or so pages of work to grind through. A very rough price estimate would place all that work between 300 to 3000 dollars for professional translation from a local agent in the SF Bay Area. That'd take a few months to save up enough lunch money and the like to get that done, but at least I have a path forward!

As far as people other than Ewen (or I guess me?) lining up to bat to try a commercial release at the game, well, fuckin' get on it!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Noice. Email sent, thanks buddy!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Desty posted:

I might be terminally stupid, but I can't find a link in the thread. Could you post it or PM it to me?

At the very least, I know a translator friend of mine who's out of work at the moment. I figure it's worth it to see how many decades of buying their drinks this would take.

I can get you set up if someone hasn't yet. Can you have your translator friend email me at btcostales at gmail regarding the Meikyuu project?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yo, can I ask Andy/Ewen/Mikan to get at me via email or IRC? I believe I have the info for Ewen and Mikan, but I wanted to pick brains about Kickstarter, translation, and scoping work for Meikyuu Kingdom, since we're heading for the negotiation table.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I wonder if I can just throw money at him on Sunday when I meet up with him?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Arivia posted:

So what are Japanese D&D books like? Do they redo the art, or just translate the text? Are there additional supplements and options for a more Eastern/anime-based fantasy? Do they translate novels or just gaming books?

I can't find any articles on it right now since it's a somewhat obscure topic but I believe 3rd edition of D&D had some art assets redone in addition to the translation work. If you're looking for Eastern/anime based fantasy (in the D&D setting) then you'll have to look at older editions here Oriental Adventures was still a thing (AEG created an L5R adaptation for 3rd edition D&D and called it Oriental Adventures, whereas earlier editions had some more fantastic interpretations and bad balancing for things).

So I had a look at an advance copy of Double Cross (coming out soon in English!) and my general opinion is that it's...really orthodox in terms of rules. I was expecting something a little more out there, but considering that it uses d10s and comes from a "big" TRPG company in Japan (FEAR) and the majority of systems developed in Japan are d6-based due to materials availability, I suppose they don't want to do anything too crazy just yet. Whenever the localizer gives me the OK I'll do a deep dive and explain how the system works and the bits and bobs with it, either via this thread or in another one!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

gtrmp posted:

I know that some of the older D&D material was completely reworked when it was brought over to Japan. For example, the 1991 D&D Rules Cyclopedia was a single-volume B&W hardcover with minimal line art, but its Japanese translation (shown here) was a three-volume slipcase with full-color insets.

Oh, that was the thing! Thank you for linking that. That site is in general pretty groovy.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Ewen Cluney posted:

This is why I'm really, really glad to be working with Ryo Kamiya and his company. They sell some of their own games in PDF form, and they're actually working on setting up a storefront for other publishers to do the same a la DriveThruRPG. Unfortunately a lot of other Japanese TRPGs are in the hands of traditional Japanese book publishers, who've been shunning technological progress in general.

I've met KH in person, and Andy's description of him is pretty dead on. He's very no-nonsense and business focused, and I'm glad to have someone like him getting involved in publishing. I especially like his idea to build up and get Japanese publishers' attention so that we'll be able to go after titles (like Sword World) that might otherwise be unreachable for us. And maybe we'll help them see the light about PDFs, both for the West and in Japan. There's certainly no lack of tablet users and such over there.

I was there at that meeting! Though, honestly, a better time could've been picked than right in the middle of the cherry blossom festival. I also have an advanced draft of Double Cross, the game itself is actually quite basic, however the rules can present an interesting mix since you have to fight against becoming THE DEMONS. It's anime to the core.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just received my copy of Double Cross and read up to the powers section which is about halfway through the book. The book has a lot of typos but nothing that prevented me from understanding what was going on. It has a lot of cool ideas within the 12 "syndromes", like the Orcus syndrome which gives you control over an area, allowing you to see through the eyes of the animals in that area, or make spikes shoot out of the ground, etc. There also seems to be rules about combo-ing abilities, like using an attack that disables a target and an area of effect attack to create an attack that disables people in an area.

That's odd, I thought KH was going to do a full edit pass prior to release. I hadn't really heard much from him after I received the advanced copy; aside from the minor typographical errors, the actual book appears to be mechanically sound, and the syndromes are quite varied without having a lot of overlap.

I thought the cutest part is sort of a crash course in "how to have fun with the game" and "how to use the internet to help you play this game" in the Player's Guide. It is buried in the book but it helps to provide a clearer understanding for people who may not really be familiar with pen and paper games. Presumably it's around page 350 because of Reasons.

For those wondering about the core dice mechanic, it's very similar to roll & keep (7th Sea, L5R) - d10s, 0s count as 10, explode, and so on. The main meat of the game on a mechanical level is resource management and utilization of your superpowers to do things that dice don't normally let you do - but if you use too much of it, you go bananas and then hand over your character sheet.

This is also just a holdover from the source material, of course, but the game is naturally very insistent on playing in Japan specifically to keep things familiar - for its original audience, anyway. You may find it better to readjust some things to better suit your narrative.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The translator/publisher for Double Cross plans on grabbing some books and selling them at various small anime-related events in the SF Bay Area - aside from Potsticker, Ewen, and myself, if anybody is interested let me know and I'm sure we can rig up details.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yeah, sorry I was preoccupied through the weekend.

Event: Anime Lane
Where: San Francisco Japan Town
When: 7/27 + 7/28

If you want to help KH (the translator/publisher) let me know and I can connect you guys, otherwise he should have a table.

e: Correction, there seems to have been an unspecified issue so he had to cancel the table. Sorry about that!

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 22, 2013

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gasperkun posted:

According to a post in the G+ Ryuutama community, the Kickstarter is going to start on Nov. 2! That is, assuming things go according to plan.

Just a heads up for you folks. I posted about this in the honobono/heartwarming/GSS and other games thread too since the readership of both might be interested but it might not entirely overlap.

Hooray, give me the anime oregon trail please!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have a link to the fan-translation of Meikyuu Kingdom?

I do, get in touch with me on irc later today and I can hook you up. It should also still be kicking around on 4chan.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
poo poo, I gotta save my money for operational costs for meikyuu but oooh drat if that 500 level doesn't look sweet...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Ewen Cluney posted:

Andy's been meaning to send me some TRPG stuff that he thought might give me some inspiration and whatnot for ages. He finally got around to it, and was pretty clearly dumping some stuff before he moves to Japan (not that I mind) because yesterday I got a box with like 15 or so books. These include a doujin Utena RPG, a mini hack of BRP/Call of Cthulhu for romantic comedies (titled "When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check"), and so on.

The one I'm most interested in is Working Witches:

The game concerns the everyday lives of people (male and female) with magic powers that they use to make a living. It's also card-based, and further appears to be one of the vanishingly rare Japanese GM-less RPGs. It's also about 40 pages, and generally has the feel of a zany Forge game as done in Japan. I'm hoping to find time to read it and do a writeup, though I've been insanely busy lately.

I got a box of stuff too, Meikyuu-related, but I think there might be some other things in here that I haven't checked yet. Maybe a Dreamcast full of mealworms? I'll crack it open at some point soon and root around.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Not on my end, but I saw that there have been a new series of Japanese games getting localized and released that are boardgames. Shadow Hunters is one of them that I saw in a local store - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24068/shadow-hunters - it is a hidden role game with anime elements. I guess it won some awards or some such? One of the store clerks at the place where I saw it named it as his top pick after he was clued into it by another customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
We're working on a Plan B but it's not moving along very fast since that basically involves doing everything in a much more pain in the rear end fashion that dedicated resources will fix. The translator is a freelancer that works full time to support his family, so when actual paying work comes in that takes priority instead. Still being worked on, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a published localization for the foreseeable future (though it'll happen eventually).

• Locked thread