Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Thank gently caress for the PDFs. I've been struggling to think of a way to scan the powers chapters without damaging the book and not wanting to write up my own power cards on Powerpoint or something because, jesus, I'd be there for months. Hooray for power cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Posting to inform everyone who hasn't played it that Tenra Bansho Zero is the poo poo and way better than I thought it was going to be. Giving aiki to other players for being awesome and even to the GM if he does a particularly good bit is super cool, the Cheering mechanic is awesome, the setting is pure distilled bugnuts the likes of which I haven't seen since 40k and every character you can play is awesome. The session we played was: a disgraced former general, a ninja assassin and a T-1000 go on a pilgrimage for spiritual enlightenment and come across a conspiracy to breed Annalids. Flashbacks, flying swordfights and much honourable dialogue is had.

Whoever translated this masterpiece, I salute you. The entire book is the translator quite clearly going "In Japanese this is really clever" and desperately trying to get across how good the writing is without ruining it as a rulebook.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I notice that Tenra Bansho Zero, the best Japanese RPG, is not on your list.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Maleketh posted:

That's a list of games he's buying in Japan. TBZ is pretty easy to get in English.

So is Double Cross, and that's on the list. From what I hear, if you speak Japanese it's well worth getting TBZ in the original language because no matter how much Andy K tried, it's written so beautifully that it's inevitable that something gets lost in translation. The original is written partly in verse for crying out loud. Bits of it are in archaic Japanese that Andy K couldn't even read at first.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

Did Tenra Bansho Zero ever get bookmarks? If so, I bought it from their store so how would I get that version?

I have a bookmarked PDF on my PC, but it doesn't look like an official one. My official (I think) one doesn't have bookmarks.

Edit: And yeah, Kongohki are horseshit, and intentionally so. They're fun as hell to play, though, particularly if you get the Overdrive martial technique for Double Kongohki Overdrive action. There are too many of my favourite things about TBZ to list but the fact that you basically can't make a bad character is one of them. In a game I was in, one of the best PCs was a guy who didn't even have a special template, he was just a dude who had the Twin Guns martial technique and spent the whole game John Wooing around the place, shooting bullets out of the air. An entire character concept hung off a single optional ability designed for templated characters to splash into. TBZ chargen is amazing.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 24, 2015

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Tenra is a great game but the way it's set up really doesn't work for long term play. You can rewrite that, but it's a good chunk of work getting the new balance correct. Demimonde the Persona-inspired supplement which still isn't out yet promises to be both simpler to set up and more suited to long term play. We'll see though.

It's definitely designed for a single weekend-long session (in my experience, you'd be hard pressed to run a full TBZ story in a single 3-5 hour session, particularly with the Zero Act and the suggested full five-act structure with intermissions) but as long as the PCs were on the ball about sublimating fates and/or happy to have characters leave play and new ones enter the story, I see no reason why you couldn't run a traditional campaign in TBZ. It definitely wants to be a story though, so I'm not sure how you'd run a sandbox game.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

Making those pregenerated characters made me realize how "everyone is X" can be a little restrictive in making all of the sample characters different. Sure, shinobi, anelidist, oni-nusa, and kijin were easy ones to come up with, but the others were a little harder to come up with and destinys can be a thing for a dude like me, it seems.

Also, it's funny how there are no kijin archetypes in the corebook. Had to make one up myself. Might have went overboard, though. Kind of made a crazy body-modder, but that kind of works.

Ninja/Something else is a good way to differentiate characters who share an archetype. I think the only thing you can't mix being a shinobi with is being a samurai. Shinobi/Monk, Shinobi/Kijin, Shinobi/Kongohki, Shinobi/Annelidist, Shinobi/Paragon will all play really differently.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Because of the scene-based structure, TBZ synergises really nicely with the 'come up with a bunch of free-floating scenes that could happen, and then drop them in when appropriate' school of GM prep. The GM decides what scenes are happening and when, so you can skip the whole step where you decide whether it's appropriate and where you try to guide them to a scene you've already come up with. Railroading gets a bad name in RPGs, but remember that TBZ really is the "5 act kabuki play: the game" RPG and give the strict scene structure a go.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Neopie posted:

Tell me more about Tokyo Nova.

It seems to be Shadowrun seen through the lens of Tenra Bansho Zero using rules similar to Double Cross. It's basically the premise of Shadowrun but plus one apocalypse - all humanity live in giant arcology megaplexes because there's an ice age out there, everything is run by the space-based megacorporations who built the arcologies, there's magic and cybertechnology and so on. Mechanically it seems to use TBZ's premise that you should start out as a badass: character archetypes include one of the white people from Elysium who can literally ring up their space station for help and get a Deus Ex Machina (examples include orbital death rays onto your enemies), a Moriarty-style crime lord, ninja assassins, people with literal battle mechs and so on. The system is relatively rules light and has something akin to Double Cross's combos, but not quite as intricate. A big part of the rules is whether you are allowed to show up to a scene or not: the 'appearance check' (ie can I actually appear in this scene) is heavily modified by stuff like how many weapons are you carrying, are you a war cyborg or horrible mutant or something, the security level of the area the scene is taking place in and so on. Tarot Cards play a role: everyone picks a Tarot Card as an archetype, and every scene draws a Tarot card which represents that scene's "flavour" (like if the card is Death, there will be a big change involved.) Once per scene, a player can use their Tarot Card as a wild card in a skill check and the scene's flavour changes to that Tarot Card. The game is actually diceless - instead of rolling dice, you have a hand of four cards and can play one of them to add to your attribute and get your result. Each stat is a suit (Spades is intellect, Hearts is passion, Diamonds is wealth and social connections, Clubs is physical prowess) and the more ranks you have in a skill, the more suits you can actually play valid cards from for skill checks with that skill. Damage is a big chart of wound effects which you look up. There are Social, Mental and Physical wound tracks and social characters can literally destroy someone's reputation to the point where they're not allowed to show up in scenes any more. Mental attacks can render you catatonic. Each character archetype has what's called a "Miracle" which is basically a superpower. These are all incredibly cool and overpowered, ranging from the Highlander's space station based Deus Ex Machina, to the Katana's instakill, the Kabuto's invulnerability and the Truth's ability to force someone to tell the truth.

Overall, would play. Have not tried it yet, but I'm trying to get a group together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In a session of Tenra Bansho Zero last night, I did 56 damage to somebody in a single blow. Celestial Form Kung fu: the hype is real.

(to those who don't know what I'm talking about, my character had 14 hit points and was unusually tough)

• Locked thread