Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Oh, the wonders of chart-born characters. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

What's SataSupe? Is that some wacky Japanese Shadowrun heartbreaker or crime game?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DiamondSutra posted:

Sorta! Not cyber, all crime action. Think of it as probably the closest RPG to "Black Lagoon" I can imagine. Rules focus on a few areas:
investigations
chases
loving
drugs
abnormal hobbies
gunfights
becoming more and more a criminal

it's tight an brilliant, and has a ton of that Hayami Rasenjin art (Meikyuu) that really, REALLY makes it truly stand out.
It's a lot of data/material, though.

Oh god yes I want to see/play this so badly. You had me at "Black Lagoon".

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DRAKES N CAKES posted:

Why do people keep posting this about Kickstarter? They don't charge you until after the time is up, so it only matters if you have money in your account at that point, and not when you make the pledge. No one cares when you get paid, son.

They just want to feel like they're a part of something v:shobon:v

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I want to make a Japanese RPG heartbreaker; what would people more knowledgeable in the ways of youseigemu (that's glorious Nipponese for elfgame :japan:) say are the hallmarks of Japanese system design? The things I've noticed are:

[*] Emphasis on out of the box modularity
[*] Relatively simple rulesets
[*] Narrative focused, but with a AD&D chart fetish
[*] Not necessarily about killing things and taking their poo poo
[*] Fantasy Kitchen Sinks to a man (except for like, SataSupe)
[*] Game and narrative are tied in the presentation of the rules, not just in play

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

gnome7 posted:

I'd also add

[*]random character creation options

because that seems incredibly common as well.

That's covered by out of the box modularity and chart fetish. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Good enough for craps, good enough for me! :haw:

:colbert:

I'm more of a Cee-lo kind of guy and 3d6 is a nicer curve but yeah, a pair of dice is iconic in gambling and game stuff.

But no, I'm just Goon projecting it up. Taking bits and pieces I've learned from other contests and seeing if I can make something of it. And someone's gotta do a better job than Exalted/that godawful Fate/Stay Night RPG in bringing weeaboo flavor with workable mechanics. Plus, given Fiasco and hearsay, JTTRPGs have had no small hand in contemporary indie game development. Mostly though, I want a J-style game but can't be arsed to translate every time I refer to the rules.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Are we all talking about some 1d4chan project or something even cruddier?

The one they reviewed for FATAL and Friends.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I want to see SataSupe, mostly. The world needs a good Yak game.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DiamondSutra posted:

Satasupe is indeed awesome, except its core system is a little wonky. Its subsystems on becoming bad, karma and obsession are incredible, though

Do go on; a core system can be gutted or changed, subsystems can be salvaged and put into other things.

Also holy poo poo new movie by Robo-Geisha mans.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

mikeycp posted:

This is something that I was also wondering, but I didn't want to be the one to ask...

It's one of those three unstated :japan: things and the only one left unanswered: if it wasn't that it'd be Persona/MegaTen (Stretch Goal) or Eva (inspiration for the Yoroi class)

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

:gizz: posted:

This scenario is set on a far away continent outside of the reach of the Priesthood. Imagine The Road Warrior, but with katana and kimen-armor motorcycles.

Oh man, this game. I'm not sure how I feel about variable "hit" TNs in a dice pool system but gently caress me the general system seems fun as hell.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

TK-31 posted:

It sounds like the elements build up to be one hell of an experience, even if some of the mechanical bits are iffy.

If nothing else it'll be a good thing to pilfer ideas from; like the 222 Things to do in Tenra, the "how to make the outside of game stuff fun" advice, the Fiasco-esque Act system and the worm users.

Even if the game sucks, I can make cyborg samurai ninja Spiderman. That counts for something.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

That's Mononoke Koyake, and we're planning to make it a stretch goal. I have a first draft translation of it done, but there'll still be plenty of work to do on it. It's probably the best of the GSS supplements, and the one that opens up the most possibilities. (Though the snake, spider, and centipede elder henge in the supplement after that are really neat too.)

Nothing is more neat than playing Santa Claus.

Nothing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

The tragic thing to a sperglord like myself is that J-Tabletop games have such interesting settings tied to such questionable rules. I guess this is what FATE is for, but sort of the point of these games is running them as-is, with their rules quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Cephas posted:

How are people liking Ryuutama now that it's been out for a while? I'm likely going to be GMing it with friends and I was wondering if there are any overall impressions people have about it, or any pitfalls to avoid falling into with the system.

I personally dig the gently caress out of its travel rules and think that any elfgame where journeys through the wilderness are A Thing should ape them. The game I got in was all new players and met intermittently at best, so I never really put the system through its paces. Dealing with Conditions seems like it would suck real bad without the Cleric equivalent, as they're the main way to remove negative conditions without making it to town, IIRC.

• Locked thread