Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Golden Sky Stories reward tiers that have been unlocked have been revealed. In addition to the many new character types, there's a pair of short stories, postcards with colored artwork on one side and rules on the other, and the fast-tracked development of the first GSS supplement "Mononoke Koyake", which will be sent to backers when ready. All of these are .pdfs being sent to all $10+? backers, except for the postcards, which are physical items and thus going to everyone $25 and up with their other physical orders. As that one supplement is described as the "first" I think that at least one of the two hidden tiers is another supplement as well, and there's also the price break they get at $15,000 (with possible extra stuff to follow), so it looks like there will be a lot of content for this. It's fantastic. Apparently Ewen's getting in contact with other people to write even more stuff too, due to how successful it's been so far, so we may see even more in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of Golden Sky Stories, I started looking at it again today, and I'm wondering if I just imagined it or if a preview for Mononoke Koyake was sent out; I swear I saw one at some point, but I can't find it in my email history. Am I imagining things or just not looking hard enough?

I'm also curious if there are any plans to translate the latter two expansions at some point. I'm particularly interested in the one that, according to an online summary, has things like centipede and spider henge and rules/guidelines for making different henge types.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ewen Cluney posted:

The Mononoke Koyake preview isn't out yet. That's definitely something I want to get out of the way. On the plus side the two original settings are about ready to start layout (though each has one last piece of art left to go).

We definitely are planning to do the other two supplements at some point. Once we finally finish everything from the first Kickstarter, we're probably going to do a second Kickstarter for a proper print release of Mononoke Koyake (with a translation of the character options from the Touhou Yuuyake Koyake book as a stretch goal), and then something like one single KS for the two remaining books.

Huh, I wonder what I'm thinking of, then. One of the updates, maybe? I remember seeing a list of the different character types in it, with pictures and stuff, that might be it.

Also, there's a Touhou book for the game? I did not know that. Neat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

inklesspen posted:

Henge are expected to be able to hang out with humans in their animal or fully-human forms without causing Surprise, though.

From the sound of things, totoro might be best run using the mononoke book, but that isn't out in English yet.

Well, to an extent with the animal forms thing; cats, dogs, and such don't cause surprise, but foxes and tanuki do, for example. That one varies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ewen Cluney posted:

I should really check in here more often, but my editor finally got me the revised manuscript and I sent Mononoke Koyake off to Clay Gardner for layout. In theory he's going to start on it today, so it'll be going out to GSS backers basically whenever the turnaround for a 50-or-so-page book is done, hopefully within a week or so. Then the GSS Kickstarter will finally be done and we can move onto other projects.

That's awesome. I just started checking this thread again yesterday because I was curious about the progress of Mononoke Koyake, so I'm glad to hear that it's close to being finished. I hope your future projects go well, too, both GSS-related (I'm definitely backing the one for the other two books when that happens) and not.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was already mentioned in another thread, but the backer pre-release of Mononoke Koyake is out. It's really neat and has really good art; I'm not always a fan of Ike's stuff (particularly the tendency to get pervy with the underage characters, and sometimes some animals or things look off), but the mononoke pictures in this are amazing. Rules seem pretty interesting too; I'm actually about to start up a GSS game with some friends, and while they won't be coming immediately I already have quite a few ideas for how to use the various mononoke eventually.

On a tangent from that, are there any good places to learn more about Japanese countryside stuff and cultural things in general? The game talks about how you don't need to be 100% accurate or anything, but I'd still like to learn a bit more. Particularly curious about things like shrines; I tried looking up more about fox shrines and stuff, but Googling "fox shrine" just gets me info on major Inari shrines, not the smaller shrines like what GSS seems to be referring to for the foxes and local gods, which seem to be small structures rather than full buildings you could conceivably enter, and likewise any other searches related to Shinto shrines get the large buildings. Are there any good resources I could check, both for this and other potentially-relevant things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's a shame. Still, the mononoke art for Mononoke Koyake is pretty great and thankfully not creepy (well, not creepy in that way; some of them are a bit unnerving but that's part of what makes it so good).

Also, found the word for the small shrines, hokora or hokura. While still technically shrines, searching with that word is getting me what I was looking for, whereas just using the word "shrine" got me the big ones and whatnot. There's also setsumatsusha, which are small shrines at a larger shrine, as opposed to the miniature shrines that may be on the grounds of a large one or on a road outside the shrine grounds.

Edit: Man, looking up the mononoke, some of them have myths where they're actually pretty nasty and terrifying. And then some others are just as harmless in legend as they are in Golden Sky Stories.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 11, 2016

• Locked thread