Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Tyndolionel posted:

One worry is that the player of the Doctor/Paragon is the type to balk at the idea of the Emotion Matrix and the prospect of not being able to keep the character's desires and motivations strictly within his comfort zone. I have high hopes for this game, though!

Your cast of characters seems pretty sweet.

Bear in mind that the Emotion Matrix roll could always be flipped around-- now it's the NPC's snap judgement of the PC. Ask the player what about their character might have prompted this response, and how they're going to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
DiamondSutra beat me to the other Ryuutama stuff, but there actually are guidelines for gold rewards in the translation I have; it's the last table in the Scenario Creation section. I had to email the translator to find out what it meant because it doesn't actually use any words like "gold" or "money".

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

21 results, with doubles half as likely as any other result; I'm interested in seeing how this works in play.

The only time I can recall seeing the term "d66" before now is in the random characteristic tables of, ahem, Maid RPG, but there they used the full 36 results (i.e. no reordering the dice rolls).

Tenra Bansho uses it in places too, but the same way as Maid, pick which die is "tens" then roll. It's just for for the occasional random table for names and the like (the Emotion Matrix table for first impressions of new characters is the most prominent), but some of the tables have result ranges (like, 1-2 through 2-1 might result in the same thing).

Magical Burst also uses it for random tables (same way, just like percentile), but no surprise, as the creator of MB and translator of Maid is TV's Ewen Cluney.

e: who just posted that DAMMIT

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

OK, Ryuutama question for anyone who's looked it over: What the hell is the point of the spell Attack of the Killer Object?

AotKO, an intermediate-level spell, if I'm reading it right, causes an object in the battle to hit the target for 1d6 damage, and attacks the caster instead on a critical failure. Shooting Star, a basic-level spell, does SPR damage, which is probably more than that, doesn't require any objects, and has no penalty on a critical failure. Am I just misinterpreting the spell's functionality?

Not sure where you're getting the fumble backlash on the caster from-- I don't see it anywhere in AotKO's description or the general magic rules.

The advantage of AotKO seems to be that it effectively has no difficulty roll-- most offensive magic has to beat the target's Condition to take effect, whereas AotKO explicitly says only a Fumbled roll will whiff. I haven't played enough to tell whether or not that's worth the tradeoff in opportunity cost (needing to be on a battlefield with objects left, and using that object to fuel a spell instead of other use), but at least it doesn't cost any more MP than Shooting Star.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
So hey, looks like Double Cross got translated and hardly anyone noticed?

http://j-rpg.com/?p=89

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 21, 2013

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Huh, interesting. I was considering getting a second copy to have at the table when I try running it, but if the second printing includes the errata I am DEFINITELY getting one.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Does TBZ work as a PBP game? If so, would someone please teach me how to play this thing? The rule book isn't really gelling for me and I need to get a feel for the game. Before March if possible.

PbP's a no-go for me, but I can at least toss out some best practices I've picked up so far.

Players Should Treat Their Characters Like Stolen Cars
This is a piece of advice from Monsterhearts, but it applies really well to Tenra as well because of its focus on one-shot play and the tendency of the samurai drama parts of the source material to end with lots of people tragically dead. Characters are very quick to make if you use the pregens or just let people combine archetypes together (though the "spellcaster" type power packages like onmyojutsu, ninjutsu, and Buddhist magic require familiarity or a cheat sheet, and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LET SOMEONE CUSTOM-BUILD AN AYAKASHI AS THEIR FIRST CHARACTER, I did this and still regret it), so it's not a huge time investment if your character dies-- and this is actually a system with strong protection against accidental death built in (remember, PC death is literally never an option unless someone chooses to check off their dead box instead of just passing out), so players should be encouraged to always choose drama or excitement over safety and caution. This ties into the next thing...

The GM Should Be A Fan Of The PCs
Tenra Bansho has a lot of dramatic, story-guiding mechanics in it, but there is also a lot of naked power fantasy, and you shouldn't gloss over it-- I usually sell people on the game by calling it a version of Rifts with rules that work. This is a game where you can play a mecha-piloting ninja who is carved out of wood, you need to embrace that awesome and provide an environment where PCs can both run roughshod over mooks with their fantastic weird powers and cross swords with their equally epic peers. Again, because the game was tuned to work as a one-shot, PCs start out fairly powerful and can improve very quickly, so you should just cut right to the awesome parts. You can get some genuinely moving moments out of the game, but make room for the pulpy bits too.

Get Right To The Awesome Parts
That deserves an extra calling out, actually. Tenra has a lot of tools to cut out or reduce startup time and/or tedium and you should use all of them. Proper scene framing is a biggie and probably tricky if you haven't played other games that use it, but I think the advice in the book is pretty useful.

The Emotion Matrix Is Your Friend
Like any random-roll table, it can generate results you just can't make sense of, but by and large it really does make scenes pop by providing immediate context between characters. Also remember that it is a starting point-- even if it makes two of the PCs immediately hate each other, it is entirely possible and appropriate for them to grow out of it after a few scenes, especially after a few Fates get rewritten (but that said, Tenra also plays pretty well if some of the PCs find themselves on opposing sides, assuming your group is up for it. I am usually not a PvP guy but in the low-time-investment, high-power, and high-drama environment of TBZ I think it really pops).

Pay Attention To Fates
Fates are, literally, What The PCs Care About. If someone is at a loss for what to do next, or if the GM needs to give someone a nudge, just look at their character sheet, it's written right there (this is the entire reason the GM assigns everyone a plot-related Destiny at the start of the session, it's literally giving even the most passive player a default plot hook to pursue). During Intermissions, be very aggressive about encouraging players to buy off Fates they're not interested in, and buying new Fates to reflect plot developments and NPCs they want to be involved with. If they don't want to remove a maxed-out Fate they're really interested in but need to reduce Karma, rewriting it is their chance to explicitly nudge the story forward (change a love for someone into a desire to marry them, or a hate for someone into a desire to kill them). The Fate-Aiki-Kiai-Karma cycle is the backbone of the game, and it all centers on rewarding players for having their characters do things they think are interesting.

TLDR: use pregens, remember that the PCs are rock stars and not shitfarmers, and trust the Emotion Matrix and Fates.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Gazetteer posted:

No, that is not advice from Monsterhearts. Sorry if this is a derail, but these are not the same concepts.

Well perhaps if you'd read the entire paragraph you'd quoted rather than rushing to shame me for a paraphrase, you might have noticed the point I was making that in a game a) intended for one-shots b) where tragic protagonist death is in-genre and c) PCs are actually fairly resistant to harm, that a certain blase attitude toward PC safety can enhance fun rather than detract. At least one person seems to have understood what I was shooting for!

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, annelids, ninjutsu, and the arts of war have a lot more varied options than the mechanized routes.

You do raise a valid point about kiai being a pretty unbalancing factor (another reason why it's no bad thing if PCs end up getting in each others' grills, that way one side can't just extra-action the other with as much impunity). It gets especially gross in an ongoing game if people start pumping up their Empathy to generate shitloads of Kiai (and even worse if they're also using that Art of War that lets you attack with Empathy), I have a game on hiatus where that started happening, not entirely sure what to do about it.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Can you post a bit about the Ryuu-jin character? One of my big problems with being a GM is that I have trouble (granted, partially due to lack of experience) figuring out when it's ok for me to be badass. Lots of times people talk about about the GM being a "fan of the player characters," and that's hugely important and I'd probably be a lot more down with it if any of my friends ever took the GM role some of the time, but sometimes I want my own character who levels up and grows, and this game having something like that is super exciting.

The Ryuujin is basically the avatar of the group's social contract. They do level up and grow in power, but they do not use the same stat format as PCs, or roll dice to do things. The dragon's color determines the basic theme of the campaign (the website goes into it a bit), and as it levels up it gains powers that are incentives for the players to do certain things (like, get in-game gold for writing up session logs, or get bonuses when defending a loved one or taking revenge) or limited applications of GM fiat (send the PCs stores of food, nudge them back on the trail if they get lost while traveling, make a monster weaker or stronger). I'm selling it a bit short because there are a lot of nifty powers and whatnot they get, but it's not a true scene-stealing GMPC so much as an in-setting way to justify genre tropes and house rules; they prefer to watch the PCs adventure and subtly nudge them rather than blatantly intervene, though they can. That said, it is a neat concept and an interesting set of GMing training wheels.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 4, 2013

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Gasperkun posted:

According to Ver. Blue Amusement, shipping will be delayed a day for recent orders due to Thanksgiving... and also, there is some kind of bundle/package to be offered in December. Don't know much more specific beyond that.

And that bundle is already sold out, as is the Advanced Rulebook itself. Hope you got a copy already if you wanted it!

(I didn't...)

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Man, the game is not kidding when they recommend you pick a pre gen for your first time. I'n guessing the versatility of Half-Breeds is more important than the potential of Pure-Breeds?

And make sure you're using the errataed pregens, too (which still don't list Warding or Resurrection even though they should have them). I ended up transcribing every drat power they had, but now that there's a PDF you can just print them out.

The Pure-Breed powers don't seem worth giving up an entire Syndrome, at least not for your first couple characters, but some are quite nice.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, the PDF post-dates all the errata that I'm aware of. Which was a fair amount...

Pladdicus posted:

Disagree, at least for...morpheus? Whichever one. Making a ridiculous one hit murder sword with invuln armor is all you will ever need.

Yeah, Morpheus is a notable outlier, if only because you need to either be Purebreed or on the edge of going Gjaum to clap your hands and summon a giant robot.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Andy K actually sent an update this week saying the book is currently in layout, but no ETA yet.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

The time has come to run a game of Ryuutama, but I dno't really know where to start. "You are here, go here" doesn't seem to really have that magic spark.

Anybody have any experience with this thing, and what worked and what didn't?

I ran a couple adventures of this a few years back. It helps if you have players who dig the logistical challenge side, but the travel checks and whatnot need some garnish; every hex or two needs an encounter to break up the die-rolling and camping. An encounter can just be coming across some weird or particularly beautiful location, or a place they can gather resources. It borders on cliche, but think Miyazaki, specifically Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke, where there's a fairly regular stream of scenes where the leads come across some weird or majestic site and just soak in the atmosphere for a bit. I think the game definitely lives and dies by the GM's ability to set a scene (and the players' willingness to engage).

Combat should be used relatively sparingly to maintain the heartwarming/awe-of-nature stuff and give context to all those traveling rolls. And also because traveling can deplete your HP so someone who sleeps poorly or got exhausted hiking can get their rear end kicked.

Matt Sanchez has a couple adventures on his old blog, I recommend starting with them and seeing how it goes.

http://d66roc.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/ryuutama-sample-scenario-1-the-town-of-ifa/ (I ran this one and it went well)
http://d66roc.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/ryuutama-scenario-midsummer-road-of-grandile/

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2014

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Hardcopies of Ryuutama turned up yesterday! Both versions look super nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, I like DX a lot but it is weird that there's so much system mastery in synergizing powers that almost immediately boils down to rocket tag and stockpiling extra lives.

• Locked thread