Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Got my copy of the Double Cross Advanced Player's Guide. I am vastly amused that it is possible to be a double full borg now, with Trait Loises (Trade one of your starting loises for a special quality) and Items of Power (Special renegade-related items that you buy with XP instead of stock.)

Both have a full body replacement option, that give different benefits, and would seem to stack with each other.

DOUBLE CYBORG, hero of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Having finished up reading the advanced guide, I find myself less into making new characters and more into making new Trait loises. I need to eyeball it some more to make sure the stat balance isn't awful before I get to that point though.

I noticed a real shortage of them based on work instead of on being an Overed, though, so I'm vaguely toying expanding that to other jobs. Like maybe a "Gang Leader" trait Lois for Delinquents where once a scenario your enemies find themselves surrounded by overprotective mobsters or motorcycle gangers (Basically suddenly you've got a troop you control on the board.)

Or "Loose Cannon" a detective/cop only T-Lois that gives some sort of short term advantage in exchange for offending your superiors? (Take an existing police-related lois. Burn it as a Titus. It returns to being a Lois at the start of the next scenario, as your good performance despite your maverick ways gets you back in the department's good graces for a while)

Something along those lines, anyway.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I like the DX supplement, but it may be something to wait to get until you're about to start a new game, since a good chunk of it is "New options for PCs" in the form of trait loises and special items you can buy with XP instead stock.

It's also got new stuff for GMs in the form of E-loises- special monster powerups for Gjaums, and generic NPC statblocks.

But the bulk of it is just more detail on the default setting, including new NPCs and such for it, so if you're not playing with it it may not be an immediate purchase thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Okay, this is hilarious, the advanced rulebook has special syndrome only items, and one of them is a straight up Death Note, although it doesn't actually kill your target, just make them easier to kill.

My favorite one is the one where you have a small castle, already attuned as your Orcus domain.

That or the coffin full of roses that a Bram Stoker can just pull out and sleep in when injured. Because you know, why wouldn't they have a coffin full of roses on hand?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Double Cross really is the anime-est game ever.

It really is. Which is why I'm seriously tempted the next time I get a chance to play, to make a Morpheus entirely focused around bodyslamming people from inside a giant robot. (All "Vehicle attacks" in the game are treated as ramming someone with your vehicle. If you're a Pure Breed Morpheus and build yourself a mecha with your brain, obviously Ramming someone should take the form of elbow drops and booting people with giant robot feet and other brawler-y unarmed combat moves.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was looking around to find out more about the other supplements for Double Cross that are still Japan-only, and I'd love to see Infinity Code for the Oroboros power set, and see some of the alternate settings. Hopefully its success means we'll see more of this stuff.

From what I've heard we're getting the big book on the bad guys next, but Weird Edge is basically the one I'm waiting for, since it seems like the natural book for the game I want to run.

(Though I'd probably skip "Fight Nazi occultists!" and just do "Baccano only with super-powers besides immortality.")

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

To be fair you could probably just allow the Black Dog cybernetics stuff unchanged with the assumption that it's more "Slowly altering your body to be mechanical" instead of "Because I generate so much electricity that I can power supertech prosthetic that can't be powered normally" Marvel comics style transmode virus Techno-organic stuff. Though that makes that side of Black Dog overlap heavily with Chimera, I supposes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

InfiniteJesters posted:

Finally, FINALLY got to reading the Tenra Bansho Zero rulebook and lorebook, some many many months after the fact.

HOT *drat* THIS IS HEAVY METAL.

It's pretty great. Of course as say this I am currently statting up an Ayakashi for the create-a-character thread that is basically a gun that was used so much it and cared for for so long and so well that it became a person and is now kind of guilty about all the murdering it did, so I may be biased.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Spoilers for Double Cross System mastery: Don't try to aim for High base encroachment+ almost no ways to gain it in scenes, it ends poorly. Also don't build around "I am a mecha pilot" as your sole gimmick.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Even the second edition of Tenra that we got is about 14 years old- The original was published in '97 and TBZ was in 2000. So to put it into a historical perspective it hit its stride just when d20 was getting started over here. Judged from that perspective I think it's pretty solidly designed!

As for Double Cross and resurrection: Based on wording, I -think- resurrect only works if you're incapacitated. So it kind of does? So basically you have an extra pool of HP that only kicks in if you've get knocked out every fight until your encroach hits 100. You're almost certainly better off having someone around with one of the other healing powers.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

To my knowledge, there was no d20 craze, since d20s are unpopular in Japan, in Japan so it's not like that would have had an impact on their designs.

Unless you just meant its really old so some of its bad design choices could be forgiven.

The second one, mostly. I mean, it came out six years before Spirit of the Century and everyone trying to add Aspects to other games, even, just as a for-instance.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I can't entirely hate that show after seeing a bit of an author interview somewhere where the creator admitted he wrote it basically to troll his old CoC RPG group.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I am mostly waiting for the book after it, with the 13th syndrome, and then the alternate setting stuff. Probably still pick up False Hearts, though.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Disagree, at least for...morpheus? Whichever one. Making a ridiculous one hit murder sword with invuln armor is all you will ever need.

Also you have to be Purebreed Morpheus for Morph Vehicle: Giant Robot. (Morph Vehicle is normally capped at 3 levels. To get a Morph Robot, you need 5 levels. So it's purebreed only.)

Also having extra power ranks as a Servant-focused Stoker is never exactly bad, since some of your stoker powers give you even more servants at once. Force multipliers are go.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My copy of Public enemy showed up about 4-5 days early. In fact, the tracking info is -still- showing the 11th despite me just having finished reading it.

It's mostly, well, stuff about False Hearts, with writeups for new NPCs (No repeats from the first two books, for the record), new False Heart-only quickstart characters and T-loises, some new scenarios, and rules for random scenario generation.

One of the T-loises explains the existence of probably -some- of False hearts characters over 100 percent encroach- it lets them go to around 120 percent without going Gjaum...but as far as the UGN's concerned they're listed as one and are shoot-on-sight.

Noticed a fair few typos, but nothing that seemed to affect game info.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

So how long until we hear about the upcoming official Japanese translation of Pathfinder?

My understanding is that it already exists, though apparently it's all direct transliterations and kind of tone deaf.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Shadow manipulation side of things seems like what the doctor ordered.

Angel Halo/Oroboros Mr. Spender-based Overed, here I come.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 8, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So Ver Blue posted a preview of the color pages for the next Double Cross book a while back (Over a month ago, actually), with a note that it's still on track to come out in December.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So per Ver Blue amusement's google+ page, Infinity Code's at the printers and should be looked for either this week or next in their online store. Guess I'll be getting myself some Double Cross for Christmas.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also, El Kabong, now a viable PC.

Guitar:

Type: Melee Skill: <Melee>
Acc: -3 Atk. Power: 2
Guard: 0 RNG: Close
Procure/Stock: 7/3
A musical instrument and
emergency blunt weapon.
Equip Effect: Your <Art: Music>
checks receive a + 1 score bonus.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

This seems to be the "Oh, hey, D&D 4E had some good ideas" sourcebook, as there's a skill challenge system (Which may actually be one of the better implementations of that sort of thing I've seen) and at least one marking-like power; angel halos can become so shiny that if you attack anyone but them, you take a penalty.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's some metaplot development stuff and some new NPCs, as well as some backstory on the new syndrome and how the factions react to it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So besides the new Syndrome, each other Syndrome gets 6 new powers...except Bram Stoker.

Which gets 23.

I can't tell if that's a "We know our target audience" thing or a "The author really likes vampires with blood monkey henchmen." thing

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Tulul posted:

Anyway, I like this book, but I'm a little disappointed by the new Syndrome. I was expecting power copying to mean more Rogue-esque power swiping in the middle of the fight (which to be fair, you can do, but there's only one power for it), not that you could just take powers from other Syndromes.

Yeah, I was hoping for more to the "Shadow Powers" angle of it instead of being almost entirely built around 'copy powers, gently caress with other people's renegade' but maybe we'll get some of that in another book.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Speaking of, apparently Ver Blue's next project is a complete re-edit of the corebook to use the updated power format from Infinity Code and the same format as the rest of the books (Though possibly in hardback.) Won't replace or add any new material, so you can still use the old one, but if you like all the books in a line to match on the shelf...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Shinobigami is apparently coming at some point in English, anyway.

http://shinobigami.com/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ninja/Shiki-slinger seems like a good way to do ridiculous ninja pets. Calling up giant toad/slugs/snake shikigami, etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

When combining, the limitation is Same Target, Same timing, and (With some exceptions) same skill: If the power lists its skill as "Syndrome" at least one of the powers you combo it with has to be a power of the same syndrome, but that doesn't mean you can't combo it with other powers; powers with 'syndrome' just can't be used on their own. For example, look at the Speeding Bullet example character, who combos Concentrate: Angel Halo, with an angel halo power, a neumann power, and a morpheus power; a combo that can only be used when she's created a weapon with Hundred guns first, which I think answers your other question. You'd have to create the weapon first, then use concentrate and attack, but since concentrate -can't- be used by itself, you'd need at least one attack power to combo it with.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wish I'd gotten more of a chance to play ROBO VIGILANTE, the Purestrain Morpheus who dumped basically all his starting points into Morph Vehicle so he could make a giant robot with his brain.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

My first experience was as a Yakuza who had the ability to summon infinity guns and turn them into plasma pistols that shattered and rebuilt themselves from the force of his shots. I got to turn a forklift into a flaming, mono-molecular-bladed ride and go Staplefahrer Klaus on some motherfuckers. It was great.

Also, if you're Guarding with a sword and shield or something, do you get the Guard stat for both items?

When you're doing two weapons you use the highest stat for each category, unless you've got a power like multi-weapon that lets you combine them. So you'd use the sword's attack power and the shield's guard, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's been a while, but IIRC the game really encourages block over dodge, because block reduces the damage coming in and dodge is all or nothing...but usually all, since there are a lot more ways to boost your attack roll than there are your dodge roll, from what I remember. (But yeah, it is basically a lot of popping back up from near dead.)

• Locked thread