Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Countblanc posted:

Can you post a bit about the Ryuu-jin character? One of my big problems with being a GM is that I have trouble (granted, partially due to lack of experience) figuring out when it's ok for me to be badass. Lots of times people talk about about the GM being a "fan of the player characters," and that's hugely important and I'd probably be a lot more down with it if any of my friends ever took the GM role some of the time, but sometimes I want my own character who levels up and grows, and this game having something like that is super exciting.

Well, I don't know too much about it either, but they do have a sample Ryuu-jin character on their website. That said, it doesn't shed too much light on what a Ryuu-jin is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Even the second edition of Tenra that we got is about 14 years old- The original was published in '97 and TBZ was in 2000. So to put it into a historical perspective it hit its stride just when d20 was getting started over here. Judged from that perspective I think it's pretty solidly designed!
To my knowledge, there was no d20 craze, since d20s are unpopular in Japan, in Japan so it's not like that would have had an impact on their designs.

Unless you just meant its really old so some of its bad design choices could be forgiven.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Parkreiner posted:

And make sure you're using the errataed pregens, too (which still don't list Warding or Resurrection even though they should have them). I ended up transcribing every drat power they had, but now that there's a PDF you can just print them out.

The Pure-Breed powers don't seem worth giving up an entire Syndrome, at least not for your first couple characters, but some are quite nice.

Is the PDF errated?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any announcements on more Japanese games being translated to English?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

I had heard that someone was working on Alshard, but I have no idea if/how that's coming along.

This is the first I heard of that, I was aware (and excited) for the rest of what you said. Do you know who is pursuing the IP?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wouldn't replacing loises with traits make it hard to fight off the virus?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I remember there was a translation of the great meikyuu kingdom in the works. Has there been any progress on that front? Kickstarter, even?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Thread is over here, silent since July.

That is a bit disconcerting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TurninTrix posted:

Apropos of nothing, are there Japanese TTRPGS out there that emulate Sunday morning stuff, like tokusatsu or magical girls?

While these aren't JRPGs, there is Ewen Cluney's Magical Burst and Ewen Clueny's Magical Fury. Both of them are for darker magical girl stories, though. Not the type for Sunday Mornings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

shoplifter posted:

AndyK just sent out the Ryuutama surveys, check your emails.

Thanks for the heads up. Leatherbound all the way, for me.

Anything big going on in the JTRPG world?

Covok
May 27, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Not on my end, but I saw that there have been a new series of Japanese games getting localized and released that are boardgames. Shadow Hunters is one of them that I saw in a local store - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24068/shadow-hunters - it is a hidden role game with anime elements. I guess it won some awards or some such? One of the store clerks at the place where I saw it named it as his top pick after he was clued into it by another customer.

So, when you saw hidden roleplaying game, you mean like Tragedy Looper?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just tried to get a physical copy of Double Cross and the only one on Amazon was $9,999. Ya know, those bullshit prices assholes think up on the impossible hope someone is that dumb. Any place to get a copy for a decent price?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hopefully, they'll do another print run. PDFs exist regardless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did Tenra Bansho Zero ever get bookmarks? If so, I bought it from their store so how would I get that version?

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

The plaintext version does. I dunno if you get that version if you buy the book, but it couldn't hurt to email Andy and ask.

No, I got that version. Remembered I had it fairly recently, funny enough. Wish it was on the art version, though. I prefer reading that because pretty pictures.

Tenra looks pretty legit, by the by, but it just seems so much setup for a game that should only be played over 6 hours. I think it probably works better if you carry your characters over. Treating it like an anthology series of plays, if you would.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Tenra is a great game but the way it's set up really doesn't work for long term play. You can rewrite that, but it's a good chunk of work getting the new balance correct. Demimonde the Persona-inspired supplement which still isn't out yet promises to be both simpler to set up and more suited to long term play. We'll see though.

I don't mean as one continuous adventure...

grassy gnoll posted:

This is how my group's done it in the past, including past karma/kiai hauls. It's basically like an old TV serial, where you have the same characters with an implied continuity, but the only story that matters is the one in front of you that day. It's worked pretty well so far!

...I mean more like this: an anthology.

How did you handle karma accumulation? As it stands, it'd be easy for everyone turn asura if the game went too long.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

And then there're kongohki.

Are they broken ridiculous good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Decided to try to get a group together for a series of Tenra Bansho Zero scenarios. For the interested.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mycot posted:

Dumb question, but does the DriveThruRPG version of Tenra Bansho Zero consist of 4 PDFs? I ordered the physical bundle from IndiePressRevolution, but it only comes with 3. There's supposed to be an illustrated version of the rulebook, right?

You might want to send Andy a message because you definitely should have gotten an illustrated version of the rule book.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think a lot of that comes from the fact the Japanese trpg fans already have that "show the world my game!" outlet with replays, which are like actual plays and are rather popular there. This is conjecture, but, perhaps, having the ability to put their game out in the world and know people are listening and are interested in it gets rid of the itch that leads to things like EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any news on Shinobigami? No new updates have come out in a while.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Last update for it was a month ago from the KS emails I got.

Oh, felt like it was longer. My mistake. That's pretty frequent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's coming out NEXT MONTh

What is?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shinobigami. Well at least the basic text for backers at least?

Ah, I gotcha now. I was wondering where you saw that since I didn't see that when I skimmed the update.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Writting a TBZ scenario. It focuses on PCs being ninja. Including some pregens. To be sure, you get all the ninjutsu abilities that your school rank gives you access to, right?

If you have "ninjutsu: school of shore 4," you can use "Possessed by the Inner Wolf, Possessed by the Inner Demon, Shadowfl ight, Ninja Duplication, Mind’s Eye, Shadow Stitch, Shadowless Replication Technique" like a list of spells, so to speak, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Making those pregenerated characters made me realize how "everyone is X" can be a little restrictive in making all of the sample characters different. Sure, shinobi, anelidist, oni-nusa, and kijin were easy ones to come up with, but the others were a little harder to come up with and destinys can be a thing for a dude like me, it seems.

Also, it's funny how there are no kijin archetypes in the corebook. Had to make one up myself. Might have went overboard, though. Kind of made a crazy body-modder, but that kind of works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maleketh posted:

Check pages 403-404.

Oh, there it is. Oh well, too late.

Doodmons posted:

Ninja/Something else is a good way to differentiate characters who share an archetype. I think the only thing you can't mix being a shinobi with is being a samurai. Shinobi/Monk, Shinobi/Kijin, Shinobi/Kongohki, Shinobi/Annelidist, Shinobi/Paragon will all play really differently.

Not every ninja needs to be a shinobi.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Out of curiosity, is anyone currently playing Tenra Bansho Zero?

Also, is LPPB the only scenario pre-made online?

Covok
May 27, 2013

mikeycp posted:

I'm working on a scenario for my group right now.

And I'm pretty sure there are 4 or so pre-made scenarios around. Though I'm not sure which are from the KS.

Got any tips. This is turning into quite a bit of work. Though, it's worth noting, that I never plan so any planing is more than I'm used to. That and I made 6 pregens for players with story so that ended up being quite a bit of work.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the new hotness in Japan's TRPG scene right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

According to Andy's Twitter, the superimposed person is the other individual, Matt, who helped translate the title into English. He couldn't be there to give to Jounichi.

• Locked thread