Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm part of a Japanese TRPG group in Yamagata that meets every month and does one-shot games, or sometimes campaigns over Skype and using Dodonfu(sp) the really useful but time-consuming to set up online Japanese TRPG application. Most meetings we have one guy running Kill Death Business (which is super fun and needs to get translated), one guy running either Tokyo Nova or Kancolle RPG, and then there will usually be some other rotating third game done by anyone who wants to try their hand at DMing. I tend to run Yuuyake Koyake/Golden Sky Stories games since I have the rules in English and Japanese and it's super easy to explain and play, though I have been putting together a Call of Cthulhu oneshot for the Halloween meeting.

The thing that upsets me recently is how big the Kancolle RPG is becoming. Everyone in the club has all the books for it, and everyone wants to play it each time. It has gotten to the point where anyone running any of the other games feels like their game is a consolation prize for anyone who didn't get picked for Kancolle.

Kancolle is stupid and it makes me sad to see my fellow TRPG players caught up in its stupidity.

In other Japanese TRPG related commentary, when I was over in Tokyo I went into a TRPG-specialty shop and found a copy of Necronica. I was like 'ooo a horror TRPG' and flipped it open. Just about puked. There is some nasty crap in that book. I know someone has posted an English translation somewhere, but thankfully they didn't scan the pictures. It's like some kind of lolicon gore and torture fetish book. Happily it's banned in the TRPG club I go to since we allow players of all ages to come and crap like that wouldn't fly.

I think my next big purchases will be Savage Science, which caught my eye in one bookstore, and Ryutama. I really want anything that has a solid system but that also breaks the mold of both D&D and all the swords-and-sorcery Japanese TRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Japanese warships turned into cute girls for a boring social game on the internet. The TRPG consists of picking your favoritest warship girl and doing cute things then shooting down monster ships. It essentially mimics the social game entirely and the only real draw I can see in it is playing as your favorite girl and putting her through scandalous maybe-fetishy hijinks through the random event system. Think Maid but with more combat focus and instead of a randomly generated character you're playing as your favorite anime waifu.

Needless to say, for a person like me who hates all Japanese browser/social games and the entire concept of waifu-izing warships, it's hard to get into it when I'm asked to participate.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, all we've heard in Japan right now is that the company that usually localizes D&D has said that they're not going to do this one.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

InfiniteJesters posted:

As for Wizards of the Coast, I hope it's just a "we're doing it in-house" thing, even though I play other systems now. :ohdear:

Oddly this is the exact same outlook on it the folks around here have. No one ever seems to actually PLAY D&D, but everyone is all nervous about whether we're actually going to get the next one or not, regardless of playability.

And Kancolle was supposed to have a real honest-to-goodness game on the Vita, but it seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry to double post but I just wanted to ask: if I'm working on a fan translation of a Japanese TRPG should I post about it here or does that need its own thread?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alrighty for the time being I'll just post it here:

Saikoro Fiction Translation!
I'm translating two games in the Saikoro Fiction series of Japanese RPGs. What is Saikoro Fiction? Well it's been mentioned once or twice in this thread, but it's a series of RPGs (I think there are 8 or 9) all using roughly the same base system. The core concept is a 6x6 skill grid on each character sheet. Rather than having stats, characters have a certain amount of skills marked on their skill grid. The difficulty of any check they do is determined by the physical position of the required skill in relation to one of the skills they actually have.

For example: if a ninja needs to dodge a shuriken, and has the 'shuriken' skill, they just need to roll (2d6) against the base difficulty (5). If, however, they don't have the shuriken skill, and instead the closest thing they have is the 'water arts' skill, which is 3 spaces away from 'shuriken', they would need to add one level of difficulty for each space, thus they would be rolling against a difficulty of 8 to use their water arts to block the shuriken somehow.

And players can't just declare 'I'm going to use water arts to make this check'. They have to figure out an in-character way they're going to use that skill to solve this particular problem, since they can't use the directly related skill. This encourages very creative and sometimes silly roleplaying, making these games very fun to GM and participate in.

Roleplaying plays many other important parts in these games as well. All of them (that I've looked at) have a system for gathering information before approaching the lair of your target enemy for that session. Players have to interact with each other and NPCs to try and pick up clues (called 'Flags' in at least one of the games) that will aid them in their battle. These clues have actual mechanical value in the game, usually giving the players a boost when fighting against the scenario boss or strengthening the bonds between the party members.

As with many Japanese TRPGs, these games allow for 100% randomized character creation. Couple this with the heavy emphasis on roleplaying, and you have quite a fun time in store as players try to come up with reasonable ways to explain why their characters have such a random spread of traits and try to figure out how to use their character in the story.

Why do you want to translate these? And which ones will you be translating? And are we talking a real, actual translation with physical release etc?
Saikoro Fiction games have very simple rules. Their rulebooks tend to be about 300-ish pages, with over 200 of those pages being taken up by a novella-length Replay that shows off the system. The rules themselves generally take up 80 or so pages, and quite a bit of that is dedicated to the random character tables. All of this means that these games are very quick to translate and understand. Beyond this, I am not doing this professionally nor am I planning on trying to make a real release out of this. My only intention at this point is to translate enough of each rulebook to allow people to create characters and run their own games using these systems. Since I'm using Google Docs, the rules will be freely available to anyone with the link. I'll probably do some PbP games here on SA with these rule sets as soon as I've translated enough of each one, and others are free to do the same or use the rules with their offline or online play groups.

Of course I wouldn't be opposed to a real professional release, but at this point I'm not really in a position to pursue that myself.

The two games I will be translating (at some point I may pick a few others, but at this point I only have two in mind) are Peek-a-Boo and Card Ranker. To be honest I was only going to do Card Ranker, after hearing about its premise, but while researching that I also stumbled across the very first Saikoro Fiction game which is Peek-a-Boo, and I just couldn't resist since it's in the horror genre. At the moment I'm translating Peek-a-Boo, and as soon as that is done I'll move on to Card Ranker and its supplement.

Peek-a-Boo
Yes it has a silly name.
In Peek-a-Boo you play a kid (usually in grade school) who has formed a contract with a 'Spooky', a monster/ghost/demon/something that has mystical powers. Since you are one of the few humans in your town that can see Spooks (the monsters/ghosts/demons/somethings that aren't contracted with you), you take it upon yourself to investigate rumors and urban legends and clear them up by defeating the Spooks that are usually behind them all.

Here are some of the features of Peek-a-Boo:
+ 100% randomized character creation!
+ Set-up for playing individually or as pairs with one person controlling the human and one controlling the Spooky.
+ A skill grid based on talents or interests a kid would normally have.
+ In-depth Spooky customization. Your Spooky could be anything from an animated chest of drawers to a 2d drawing to an invisible (even to you) person who can only be seen as floating clothing.
+ A challenging damage system. If your kid takes damage, it will instantly cripple their skills. Each point of damage knocks out their ability to use one of their skill columns.
+ A realistic exhaustion system. If your kid spends every night out exploring haunted houses, they will soon become too exhausted to function and their traits will suffer.
+ And much much more!

If you want to think of it in a really cool way, think Persona meets Scooby Doo. You've got your plucky gang of (well, kids instead of teens) going into dungeons each night to use their demons to fight other demons. It's not quite as combat-centric as all that, more roleplay-based, but flavor-wise if you think of a mash-up of those two properties you won't be far off.

The Translation
Is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z1kmLYRANSPq5vuBrINwj9s4YebeNnRus59_UpV2Qdg/edit?usp=sharing
It is, obviously, not complete. Actually I've only been at it for a few hours by this point, but I'll try to work on it a little each day so check back often to see the progress. As it currently stands I'm just going through and translating all the big chunks as they come up in the book, but once I've got more of it translated I plan on going back and filling out each section a little more as well as re-organizing it to make it more readable and easily usable.

Can I Help?
Yes! Though I don't need any help with the Japanese to English portion, I do need some with the English to Better English portion. As hard as I try, it's very difficult for a translator to render his own translation into better words. To me it all looks natural and fine, but to a person actually reading it in English it may be broken or awkward in parts. Feel free to suggest better ways to say certain things! Though editing is not enabled on the document, comments are. Feel free to comment! Add suggestions about layout or anything at all!

I won't post here every single time I update the translation, but I will post once enough of it is done for folks to try character creation and stuff. I'll also do a write-up of Card Ranker once I get those books (still waiting for Amazon, but they should be coming tonight).

Edit: Will you be translating the Replay of Peek-a-Boo from the book?
No. Even if this goes professional I'd request that a new replay be made for the English version. There are issues with the Japanese one.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 6, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
While the game itself is completely free of any creepy stuff (the wrong kind of creepy), the Replay is pretty hard to stomach. Basically the author of the RPG (who also made Meikyu Kingdom) decided the best way to test a game about kids is to actually get some real kids to play the game. So he got 3 kids and had them pair up with 3 of the folks he works with and did the game. The problem stems from the fact that none of the kids is related to anyone on the team, so these are just random kids who volunteered, and a few comments the author or his co-workers make. It's very clear no one involved knows how to act around children and it goes from being nervous and awkward at first to kind of smoothing out as they start to get into the game, to suddenly being REALLY CREEPY due to one or two things that are said.

So yes I'm ignoring the Replay because the game itself is fine and doesn't have any creepy mechanics like the Seduction in Maid. Considering how creepy the author comes across as in the Replay he managed to make a very normal and down-to-Earth, inoffensive game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, I know Call of Cthulhu was fairly popular in Japan, but did they ever get Delta Green? I ask, because Delta Green is the best, and I wonder how it got/would get received there.

(I loved the Japanese Shadowrun artwork)

Nope, except maybe for some partial fan-translations on enthusiast websites. However we did get a Japan-only supplement; Cthulhu Teikoku which takes places during the 1920's in Japan. It's perfect for making a Sakura Wars x Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm stocking up on JTRPGs to take back to America so I can start up a JTRPG club wherever I end up working (probably Indiana or Ohio at this point). I figure I can translate just enough for character creation and for them to know what their skills and spells do, and then just verbally explain game mechanics enough to get them through it without my players needing any Japanese knowledge. Here's what I currently have:

Yuyake Koyake (+all 3 expansions)
Peekaboo
Card Ranker
Magica Logia
Insane
Shinobigami
Night Wizard (3e)
Fullmetal Panic RPG
CLAMP School
Gundam 0079
Al Shard FF
Kancolle RPG (I regret owning this)
Sword World 2.0
Double Cross
Blade of Arcana
Savage Science
Magician's Academy RPG
Space Opera Heroes
Sekaijuu no Meikyu RPG (this is based on the game series we call Etrian Odyssey in English)
Witch's Quest
Detatoko Saga
Pearl Seed
Ghost Hunter 2.0
Gigant Makia

I've got a month and a half before I leave, enough time to order some more stuff off of Amazon, so I'm wondering if there's anything else specific I should look for that would be an interesting addition. A few are a little too expensive (Shin Megami Tensei goes for about $300) some I'm not sure about (Evangelion) and some just seem too generic and same-y. But I'd love to hear suggestions of other stuff to pick up.

Edit: Oh and I'll definitely pick up Kill Death Business before I leave so that is basically already on my bought list.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hell yeah, thanks for reminding me. Satasupe is awesome and crazy fun.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I would like to know more.

I think the Japanese term appropriate to describe it is 'sonomama'. It is literally just the video game in paper form, down to having the exact same skill selection system where you get points to assign each level and you have to get levels in certain things to unlock others in a kind of skill tree. The only minor change is that you choose life paths for your characters which give them small bonuses or minuses to their stats and give them a bit of flavor.

When playing you are meant to have the players map out their journey on a small grid that looks exactly like it would in the games. The monsters are all the same and there are very few monsters per level, so you end up grinding against the same enemies over and over for a while to level up. And, of course, there are FOEs.

It's great if you literally just want to take the Etrian Odyssey system and play around with it, create new dungeons and stuff, but honestly if any of your players are familiar with the EO games I imagine they'd stop you halfway through the dungeon and say 'If this is literally just the game in paper form why don't I just go play the game?'

Edit: Looking at it in even more detail, you could literally say that there is not a single system in the game that is not faithfully recreated, down to monster drops being used to create new items in the shops and each item being locked behind monster drops. I think you could literally play this same TRPG using one of the Etrian Odyssey strategy guides.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 24, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The former. So yeah. I was expecting with a little more effort put into it, but it's really lackluster. Almost all the art is just cribbed from the game as well.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
To be fair, I bought Double Cross and Yuuyake Koyake before I was aware they had been released in English. Since the point of the club will be exposing players to Japanese games they wouldn't be able to experience otherwise I'll mainly be focusing on untranslated games. However, in the vein of TBZ, I do really want to get my hands on Terra the Gunslinger, but it's rather expensive if I want to get it with the cards it is supposed to come with. I'm currently borrowing a copy from the leader of the local roleplaying club over here, but I'd love to have a copy of my own to take back to the US.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

On the topic of Golden Sky Stories, I started looking at it again today, and I'm wondering if I just imagined it or if a preview for Mononoke Koyake was sent out; I swear I saw one at some point, but I can't find it in my email history. Am I imagining things or just not looking hard enough?

I'm also curious if there are any plans to translate the latter two expansions at some point. I'm particularly interested in the one that, according to an online summary, has things like centipede and spider henge and rules/guidelines for making different henge types.

The 3rd expansion is for making old local deity type characters, the 4th is for making playable human characters.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I think the Saikoro Fiction series has been mentioned in this thread, but is anyone thinking of localizing that? It has an amazing core system that fits perfectly to one-shot/convention playing where you can take any random newb from 0 to complete understanding of character creation and the game system in 30 minutes. Plus with all the systems that are based off of the core there are a ton of genres covered. I can't imagine the company in charge of it turning down a request to localize them, since they're new and hot right now. Any word on any US companies looking at these?

http://www.bouken.jp/pd/sf/

I mean come on we AT LEAST need to get Kill Death Business in English.

And InSANe.

And Peekaboo.

... and Shinobigami... crap whatever let's just get them all please? Yes? Let's do it. I'll translate them. Someone just get me the rights.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Frickin' sweet. That covers the biggest/most popular one. Hopefully they can springboard off that and bring some of the other ones.

Speaking of Shinobigami a replay novel just came out about how they used the Shinobigami system to do a professional wrestling storyline.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yep:
http://shop.cokage.net/touhouyuukoya.html

It consists of two replays, some new character options, and writeups of all the Touhou characters at the time they did it. (IIRC some of the boss characters have attributes as high as 8 or 10, which is kinda nuts.) For copyright reasons we can't do the full thing, but Kamiya said we can use the actual game material, which includes writeups for shrine maidens and fairies as GSS character types.

The replays are pretty amusing. One player didn't know Touhou, so they played Riko from GSS who found herself in Gensokyo. Also one of the replays was about them helping Kaguya get a job so she can stop being a NEET, which is hilarious if you know a lot about Touhou fanon, and gibberish if you don't.

Oh man I need to get this ASAP. I bought a bunch of GSS and Witch Quest (and Witch Quest/GSS crossover) stuff from that site but I skipped the Touhou book because I thought it was just a replay (in my defense it does say 'Replay' on the cover). I should have read the summary, since it says right in there that it has new classes and character data.

Edit: I also sometimes consider ordering Nechronica from that site but then I remember the one time I casually flipped it open and looked inside at an RPG store and Tokyo and just the memory of the images I saw in there make me regret even thinking of picking it up. It's a huge crying shame that such an interesting and unique system (I've played it a few times with the Japanese TRPG club I'm in over here) has to be full of a bunch of nasty guro lolicon images. I'm pretty sure I'd go on an FBI watchlist if I bought that and tried to take it back into America.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Golden Sky Stories, you know what fanmade class it needs?

Totoro

It'd be pretty easy to stat out (well, I mean everything is easy to stat out in GSS just make up 6 magic powers and 6 strength/weakness pairs). The only problem I can see with having them as playable characters is that every player would want to play one every session.

Edit: If we can stat out a Totoro class I will totally run a PbP thread for an all-Totoro game.

Edit2: I can't be the only/first one to think this is a good idea considering tons of the English PR for this game mentions both Miyazaki and Totoro specifically as things people should imagine when picturing this game.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 27, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Henge are expected to be able to hang out with humans in their animal or fully-human forms without causing Surprise, though.

From the sound of things, totoro might be best run using the mononoke book, but that isn't out in English yet.

Correct. According to the Mononoke Koyake book mononoke henge cause their henge level +1 surprise to anyone who sees their true form or their magic powers.

I think the proper way to do an all-Totoro game would be to have them trying to work happy magic stealthily somewhere. Like they watch over the village and sneak out of the forest at night to spread joy or resolve things, and they have connections with the human folks but the humans don't know who or what their magical benefactors are, they're just grateful for what they do. And once their connection with the town levels up, you have kids or people in trouble coming out to the forest and calling for help from the magical guardians and even though they're surprised when the players first show up they've come to know them as friendly spirits so slowly a few humans overcome that and become friends with the players.

That sort of thing.

Edit: Something that could help with this style is if one of the traits a Totoro can choose is 'tiny', like the little one in the movie. In exchange for not being able to do anything that requires physical strength (so it can run but it can't lift or push etc) it's small enough that it can enter homes and follow people around without being seen.

Edit2: VVV I was thinking 'Summon Nekobus' would be one of the Totoro basic spells.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 27, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Traveller posted:

I need more Tokyo Nova in my life, which to say any Tokyo Nova at all.

I'd actually like to see how well this works in a PbP. One thing that bugs me about FEAR games in realtime is they like splitting the party to have different people going different places researching different things all at once, which would be much easier to handle in a format where everyone just posts up what they're doing and the GM responds to each (using PMs to control what information each player gets their hands on) in one go instead of needing to take everyone one by one and resolve their scenes in order. You'd just need a way to simulate drawing cards and having a hand rather than rolling dice, but a simple 1d52 roll anytime someone needs to draw a card, with a table set up representing what number equals what card, might work. I say might because I'm not sure how much Tokyo Nova and Terra the Gunslinger are balanced around having specific numbers of each card available. Terra would get pretty broken if there were a ton of Aces floating around, but the numbers are more sane in Nova so I don't think it would matter if people could draw multiple copies of the same card.

Just so long as the GM makes sure to give any important bad guy kamiwaza protection. I dunno what FEAR's obsession with giving all their games 'once per session you can kill one thing of your choice' skills is, but most climactic battles I have experienced in Nova have started with the GM and players expending all their kamiwaza to eventually break even (aside from the GM feeding the players a few insta-killable mooks that he put there specifically to eat the players' insta-kill moves) and then the actual battle begins with normal skills and rolls.

(though honestly I like the kamiwaza system better than the godawful Terra the Gunslinger system of power chips where last battles boil down to 'so the boss can expend one chip to avoid taking lethal damage any time he's attacked, how many chips does he have again? Over 20? Oh, well we're all on our last few so... cool, I guess. Say good-bye to 4 hours as we pointlessly attack just to whittle down his stupid get out of death free pool')

I can throw together a translation of at least the character creation stuff once I'm back in the States (kind of hectic with packing right now) since I plan to do that for all the Japanese TRPGs I own so I can play them with folks in the US, but you'll need someone who can just straight up read the Japanese rules to GM the game if you want to play.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Woah what edition are those from?

I'd love to play some Tokyo Nova as well, if anyone puts something together. Though I only have the latest edition (Axleration).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I've got it! Animal Crossing Golden Sky Stories.

Every character is a henge and the players are working to pay off a debt to Tom Nook. Instead of increasing connections to get their powers, connections supply players with an income of Bells. Doing good around town can boost their connections with the other residents as well as granting them either bells or a random piece of furniture from a random loot table generated using an Animal Crossing wiki/strategy guide. Each player has a house in which to assemble sets of furniture, and completed sets grant in-game bonuses. It's brilliant.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

inklesspen posted:

You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Nah. I didn't even feel a twinge of guilt when I introduce my 'in-app purchases' system to the campaign; for a premium rate the players can pay me cash for extra bells in the game! I also made a catalog for them with several furniture sets available for direct purchase!

Next month I plan to introduce character cards they can purchase to get me to bring all their favorite Animal Crossing NPCs into the campaign!

I wonder how much they'll shell out for Isabelle...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Potsticker posted:

If it's homebrew, doesn't that mean there's no system?

Yep. This. Looking around at the Japanese sites they say that it was a one-off custom-made system specifically for this game. However, sometime this year they will be releasing a 'storytelling boardgame' based on the franchise, which sounds kind of like one of those D&D board game hybrid things.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4775313541/ref=pe_388602_193753042_em_sim_1_ti

Finally my wish for an Idol TRPG has been granted. I saw this previewed in the issue of Role&Roll magazine right before I left Japan and I was super hyped for it to come out. As soon as I'm settled in to my new house I'm ordering it right away. Idolm@ster is one of my favorite game/anime franchises and I can't wait to be able to tabletop it.

Also if anyone is in the Indiana area, I'm going to be setting up a group that meets each month to try out a bunch of different Japanese TRPG systems. I'll translate character creation and enough of the system for folks to understand what they're doing and just explain the rest verbally. I'm pretty confident in my ability to GM fun games using a lot of different settings/rules and mostly I just want to gather up people who want to have fun either enjoying or picking apart crazy Japanese TRPG systems. I'll be based in Lafayette, about 40-45 minutes from Indianapolis, not too bad of a drive for a monthly group.

If you're interested just kick me a PM or e-mail me at tsukiwouru@gmail.com I'll be posting up public recruitment ads once I'm set up in the city, but I'm hoping to maybe have a goon or two in the group because the 'worst tabletop experiences' thread has made me really leery of just grabbing a bunch of random people from off the street to play with.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tell me more about the "Role & Roll Books", I'm intrigued. I see it's a magazine, is it also a publisher?

It's a pretty awesome company all around if you're into Japanese TRPGs. Their magazine usually has at least one thing for each of the RPGs they publish, either supplemental rules or a mini-adventure or campaign hooks and stuff. And they do a ton of stuff; they make all the Saikoro Fiction series, Meikyuu Kingdom, a bunch of other Japanese ones and they even do the localization of Shadowrun. They also do community stuff, like they have a contest for people to design new systems to publish in the Saikoro Fiction series (I believe Card Ranker was a winner one of the years). Their shop in Akihabara is also the best place for buying board games, TRPG books, and they even have space for setting up sessions.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm starting a group that plays a bunch of random Japanese TPRG systems over Skype and Roll20. If you're interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744664

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Shinobigami is by and far the most popular of the Saikoro Fiction series so it makes sense they would start there. At first I was hoping they might release some of the other books in the Saikoro Fiction series if Shinobigami does well, but since the Shinobigami supplement won't be coming until December 2017 I guess they have their hands full and won't be looking at new projects anytime soon. Still, Shinobigami is really solid and if they picked one Saikoro Fiction book to bring to America that'd be the best one.

(though I still want my English Kill Death Business)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Gao posted:

So how does this play?

It's essentially a miniatures game. Grid-based, no actual plot, you just set up missions and run them. Most of the book is dedicated to sperging over minute details of mecha stats. They only had a handful to pick from in that era so they got as detailed as they could with each one. Not really much of an RPG. More like something for the huge Gundam fanatics to recreate their favorite battles with or something like that. I sold it to a Book Off after flipping through it once since it didn't seem like something I'd ever play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is anyone interested in buying a lot of Japanese TRPG books? I bought a ton before coming back from Japan, thinking I'd set up a group to translate/play them but I now have no time and they're honestly just collecting dust. I'd like to pass them on to someone who would get some use out of them. I have about 16 books of varying rarities and costs, but I'd like to sell them all together just so I can be done with it.

Continental US only please.

If anyone's interested in this kind of deal I'll start up a thread in SA Mart with photos and details. I'll probably be pricing the lot at 75% of the best price you could get the books used for off of Amazon.co.jp + shipping.

• Locked thread