Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Just received my copy of Double Cross and read up to the powers section which is about halfway through the book. The book has a lot of typos but nothing that prevented me from understanding what was going on. It has a lot of cool ideas within the 12 "syndromes", like the Orcus syndrome which gives you control over an area, allowing you to see through the eyes of the animals in that area, or make spikes shoot out of the ground, etc. There also seems to be rules about combo-ing abilities, like using an attack that disables a target and an area of effect attack to create an attack that disables people in an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

aldantefax posted:

That's odd, I thought KH was going to do a full edit pass prior to release. I hadn't really heard much from him after I received the advanced copy; aside from the minor typographical errors, the actual book appears to be mechanically sound, and the syndromes are quite varied without having a lot of overlap.

I thought the cutest part is sort of a crash course in "how to have fun with the game" and "how to use the internet to help you play this game" in the Player's Guide. It is buried in the book but it helps to provide a clearer understanding for people who may not really be familiar with pen and paper games. Presumably it's around page 350 because of Reasons.

For those wondering about the core dice mechanic, it's very similar to roll & keep (7th Sea, L5R) - d10s, 0s count as 10, explode, and so on. The main meat of the game on a mechanical level is resource management and utilization of your superpowers to do things that dice don't normally let you do - but if you use too much of it, you go bananas and then hand over your character sheet.

This is also just a holdover from the source material, of course, but the game is naturally very insistent on playing in Japan specifically to keep things familiar - for its original audience, anyway. You may find it better to readjust some things to better suit your narrative.

I thought it was interesting that TBZ and DX both have a sort of mechanic where at the end of a session you have to figure out if your character goes crazy, but the mechanics are different for both. In TBZ you basically know ahead of time how much you'll be able to lower your Karma, so unless you screw up your maths the choice about turning into a Ashura is always yours. In DX it's a roll that gets more difficult the more you've used your powers, and if you fail that roll you have some options to roll again but if you do you'll get less XP, or maybe even no XP at all depending on what you chose. I also like that it specifically says that the XP is for the player, not the character, so you're encouraged to just go nuts if you want a new character because you won't lose your xp.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Andy mentionned on the Google+ board that it was Notice, I believe.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I just received the Double Cross errata through the mail, sweet of Ver Blue Amusement to do that. It corrects the stats of the sample characters, which should be very useful if I ever decide to run a game.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Cheap Trick posted:

Is this errata available online?

Yup https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0o4CqKUlcLqWUhHWGJ2YTJPU00/edit?pli=1

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Infinity Code, Double Cross' latest supplement is now out. It has some nice new powers for the existing syndromes. Bram Stokers in particular seem to get a lot of love.

And Chimaeras get a power called.... Monstrous Backside.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've run three TBZ campaigns so far, and I'm the type of GM who likes to do just a little bit of planning and then improvise from there. Here's a few observations:

TBZ works best when it jumps from scene to scene. This is not a game about rolling your stealth skill 13 times as you infiltrate a castle and get past each individual guard. This is a game about rolling your stealth once and then skipping ahead to a cool scene that makes sense for what you rolled.

I liked setting up scenes between two PCs just talking about stuff when I needed some time to think about where to take the game next. Something simple like getting two players in a scene where they just talk about their fighting styles, or one character stumbling upon another character writing a letter to their family, etc. Just some quick scenes where the players can work on their character relationships a bit.

Give everyone cool names. Make the fights interesting by giving the bad guys some personality, even if they're fodder who exist only to die to some sick ninjitsu techniques. And then get one of those bad guys to come back as a kijin at some point, of course.

And some wise words from the designer, Junichi Inoue:

quote:

There is absolutely no reason to be concerned with how correctly Japanese your experience is. Leave that stuff to academics. You just have to have an interest in Japanese culture. That’s the most important thing. It’s all about having fun, and keeping your (and the players’) interest going. That’s far more important than being concerned with whether or not there are cheeseburgers in Tenra.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I remember someone ran a short-lived TBZ campaign here and one of the characters was an all american ninja.

One of the things that is definitely cannon in my TBZ games is that beer comes in cans.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

mikeycp posted:

What I want to know about is Shinobigami. It's been a while since we've heard about even the rough draft of the rules.

Actually, the rough draft was sent to backers on may 3rd! Although they're calling it the Pre-Alpha Pre-Draft, and the email mentioned the real draft should be out in 4-6 weeks(from when the email was sent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I ran a fairly long Double Cross campaign that ended with the players fighting through several sections of a bullet train speeding towards Tokyo. The train was carrying an artifact powerful enough to awaken anyone who was within a mile of its radius. The players started at the back of the train with their reasonable encroachment percentages and got progressively more powerful as they moved forward, with their encroachment reaching critical levels when they fought the main bad guys. Double Cross' system is really good at creating that kind of drama where it's more about the players getting dangerously close to the point of no return.

And then I got the Infinity Code book and the Ouroboros syndrome is so much more powerful than anything else that it made me wonder if I missed a line somewhere explaining that it shouldn't be used by the players. I really wish the books weren't filled with typos and mistakes because it always made me think that certain powers were just not translated correctly at all.

• Locked thread