Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty excited for this, as I'm sure many others are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Potsticker posted:

:woop: :woop: Tenra Bansho Zero PDF for Kickstarter backers is now up! :woop: :woop:

It looks like 'setting' and 'rules' are mixed up name-wise, if you want to start with the world and pretty art, jump into the rules document first, in other words. :ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Potsticker posted:

Heads up for quirky Japanese TRPG lovers: Andy Kitkowski has procured a bunch of copies of Phantom Thief a game where you play a magical girl thief, draw out your character (both in and out of costume) on a pair of grids and roll on them for conflict resolution. It sounds pretty amazing. Here's his G+ post about it if you're interested.

Sounds like a direct nab of Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, aka Phantom Thief Jeanne.

Not a bad thing, just amusing to see it be so transparent.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just received my copy of Double Cross and read up to the powers section which is about halfway through the book. The book has a lot of typos but nothing that prevented me from understanding what was going on. It has a lot of cool ideas within the 12 "syndromes", like the Orcus syndrome which gives you control over an area, allowing you to see through the eyes of the animals in that area, or make spikes shoot out of the ground, etc. There also seems to be rules about combo-ing abilities, like using an attack that disables a target and an area of effect attack to create an attack that disables people in an area.

Yeah, I just got my copy, and it's definitely a rougher localization than most of the recent games coming over. It's more of a literal translation and doesn't have the sorts of asides Tenra or Golden Sky Stories have, nor the slick layouts of its forebears. It's still really interesting in its Persona-minus-personas sort of way, however, and I look forward to reading through more of it when I have the chance.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My only big issue in my experience with Tenra Bansho Zero is the combat; it's mostly just punch-for-punch, really, with not much in the way of options or choices that I'm aware of, other than accuracy / damage / rate of fire tradeoffs between various weapons. If you're feeling shameless, of course, you can just dump kiai and do like a zillion attacks to boot, but that's of mixed utility depending on your chances of hitting in the first place.

It's a fantastic system in terms of building relationships and stories and drama, but I wish there was a little more to conflicts given they're such an important part of the game..

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Combat stats still get a lot of attention, and there are a lot of combat powers, it's just in my experience so far they mostly just vary in terms of their weapon stats. It could be that the martial arts or ninjas or whatever can make things more interesting - I've only gotten to really play with the cyborg and mecha rules and haven't read the other character types too closely. It's mostly that the combat rules are very simple, and not necessarily that there isn't a fair amount of page count to shooty and stabby bits (not that it's Rifts or anything, mind).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I was looking around to find out more about the other supplements for Double Cross that are still Japan-only, and I'd love to see Infinity Code for the Oroboros power set, and see some of the alternate settings. Hopefully its success means we'll see more of this stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Finally got the Double Cross Advanced Rulebook. The trait loises are interesting, and if I ran it, I might be inclined to skip the "cost" and just give everybody a choice of one for free. The items are more of a mixed bag, I think, with some being marginal and others (Reaper's Book) being a bit farcical. The added setting info is quite nice, though I'd treat it as as a toolbox rather than a grab bag.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gnome7 posted:

:allears: Even though a cthulhu romcom game sounds awful, that is the perfect name for a cthulhu romcom game.

It sounds great to me, but I can't take the Cthulhu Mythos as anything other than nerd schtick at this point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ahhh, okay, I misunderstood. But yeah, Lovecraft seems surprisingly prominent in Japanese fandom, at least judging from the number of appearances in makes in videogames, manga and the like.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The main changes would be to equipment; Morpheus and Black Dog would be the most heavily impacted if you don't have equivalent guns and vehicles for a few powers, and some Neumann powers are geared towards firearms. Overall, it wouldn't be severe, but the existence of guns is generally an assumption, and if bows or crossbows work differently, that'd be a change. There's some utility powers that rely on the existence of technology as well, so it depends on how you want to reskin things.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Or you're part golem or whatever. Alternately, on the more gruesome end, you could be part Frankenstein, powered by self-galvanization.

But yeah, weapons are mostly just damage values with a range and maybe a special effect, so it's mostly just a question of what the special effect for a crossbow or throwing knives would be, if any.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I like a lot of TBZ's plot / metagames systems, and the world is rad, but the combat and skill resolution left me a bit cold.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think Double Cross has a pretty solid and fun combat system, though it's subject to a high degree of system mastery. Honestly I think that it's mostly that a vast majority of RPGs have lousy systems anywhere you are. Though I have to wonder, given how Japanese marketing often works, how much playtesting JTRPGs go through.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm really puzzled about how False Hearts works in an technical encroachment / Gjaum sense (as in are they/aren't they), so hopefully this will answer all my burning questions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Darksaber posted:

I was honestly a little disappointed with the advanced rulebook, mainly because it was more expensive than the core and while the gameplay additions were top notch, a lot of the fluff seemed to be more or less copy/pasted from the core. Hopefully False Hearts is different in that regard.

It fleshes things out a lot, though. It's disappointing to see it restate stuff but when I needed a go-to NPC when running it recently, it was pretty handy in regards to having the character I needed when I needed them.

Memorial Blossom was probably the worst adventure of the ones I've run so far, though, mainly because though a lot of them rely on the PCs being somewhat ignorant or dumb, Memorial Blossom requires the PCs to be brain-dead not to yank the adventure off the rails. Of course, a lot of this comes down to the heavy-handedness in the way Double Cross is expected to be run, but it's the equivalent of putting a bomb in the PCs' lap and expecting them to just wait around for the villains to light the fuse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The obvious factors is that it's larger and has a color comic / intro. Not sure how the two compare in terms of page count, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Don't mind this, mispost.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hope they spell out more clearly the nature of False Hearts members - as in are they gjaums, or aren't they? - or if it's deliberately ambiguous or whatever. Either way, it looks like my order's been processed, so we'll find out!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Advanced Rulebook didn't reprint much but a relative handful of NPC descriptions, though, and those were typically expanded in terms of information. The setting information in Advanced Rulebook covers some of the same groups but is not, strictly speaking, reprinted information.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's fine to post here unless you really really want to make a new thread for it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amused to see that blog namedrop both Breakfast Cult and Spirit of '77.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The rumor I heard is that the last translation attempt died out, but I don't know any details.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

NachtSieger posted:

(Segways by the way, have 0 (I still love the fact you can kill someone with a segway))!

The only version of Kamen Rider we haven't seen yet: Kamen Rider Segway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tell me more about the "Role & Roll Books", I'm intrigued. I see it's a magazine, is it also a publisher?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The official Ver. Blue Amusement Store seems to still have it in stock, though it looks like they aren't offering the double pack with the Advanced Rulebook anymore. I know they were looking to do a reprint in the larger format with a clearer layout, so I wouldn't be surprised if it they're just selling down their existing stock at the moment.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot who doesn't scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I did a six-month or so campaign of Tenra Bansho Zero where they slowly worked to overthrow a corrupt daimyo, it's definitely doable. Players get pretty saavy as far as juggling karma and fates go, I didn't ever find that to be an issue. Really it can handle games at least to the point where people start getting their capstone abilities, at which point you start looking to wind things up as the game really starts breaking up. Granted, balance is wonky and all over the place in TBZ, but high-skill characters only exaggerate that fact.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, they can, even if I had an entirely not-snake-eyes one running around my last Tenra game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Any word on what's going on with Mononoke Koyake for Golden Sky Stories? Now that Fantasy Friends is done (and references it), it seems to be a popular question in other threads.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Ninja/Shiki-slinger seems like a good way to do ridiculous ninja pets. Calling up giant toad/slugs/snake shikigami, etc.

There's already a shinobi power that summons a giant, fire-breathing toad, but it's top-tier and I don't think any of the existing shinobi paths include it. However, it would be trivial to create a new path that does, or reskin the power for slugs and snakes.

The shinobi powers I'd watch out for are the mist-summoning pair of powers- as written, they can lock down whole groups of enemies if they don't have very strong Willpower scores, and are amongst some of the worst-balanced abilities in the game (in a game that already has quite a few broken abilities).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To me, a lot of Tenra Bansho Zero's plots should stem directly from their Fates. It's really about where the Fates lead the characters; when I ran it, I had vague notions of what the region was like, who was at war with who and where that might go. I didn't actually develop a plot until the players wrote their Fates down, which I looked at and then did their Zero Acts, and by the time I'd done those I had a rough sketch of the plot.

Let Fates and the Emotion Matrix be your guide. Unless you're writing all the Fates in advance, it's just not a programmed scenario kind of game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Maleketh posted:

I can't agree with this. While you do have to account for players' Fates and Emotion Matrix rolls when writing a scenario, there's a lot to be said for having at leas a rough plot written out in advance. This is exactly what Destinies are for: to help direct the players and nudge them in the direction you want the story to go.

Well, I prefer to take a player's Zero Act and Fates heavily into account in making Destinies. And Destinies are just another Fate anyway, so they're ultimately under the players' control after being assigned as it is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tokyo NOVA: the Axleration posted:

Remember the Rule of Cool? Miracles are the means players have, in mechanical form, to do awesome things in TOKYO N◎VA, when and where they want to.

Tokyo NOVA: the Axleration posted:

You'll notice that the descriptions of some Miracles, such as Highlander's «Nemesis» and Neuro's «Deus Ex Machina», are unhelpful jokes. That's because these particular Miracles defy succinct description; if you're creative enough, they can potentially do almost anything.

pre:
No.		Style		Miracle		Effect
...		...		...		...
17		Highlander	Nemesis		Unleash the terrible secret of space
:ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

This was already mentioned in another thread, but the backer pre-release of Mononoke Koyake is out. It's really neat and has really good art; I'm not always a fan of Ike's stuff (particularly the tendency to get pervy with the underage characters, and sometimes some animals or things look off), but the mononoke pictures in this are amazing.?

Yeah, I read some of Ike's Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki awhile back, and it may as well be the Golden Sky Stories manga... except for the rather inappropriately lewd stuff. While it eventually seems to fade away, it's why I can't really recommend it even to GSS fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I saw a really interesting PbM game while back from a few years ago when I was sourcing some art, but I imagine by their nature those sorts of Japanese games are very hard to dig up info on.

• Locked thread