Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Message Slowbeef about your idea, he'll tell you whether it'll fly or not. Then write up your first update and post it in the Sandcastle. They'll tell you what you need to do before making a thread, like fix your image quality or get an okay from Slowbeef. Alternatively, don't LP Pokemon at all because it's kind of really boring unless you are super good or have a gimmick like not actually playing a Pokemon game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please do not do anything with Pokemon unless you are a super creative person of some kind.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Coolguye posted:

You can't really evaluate that properly without having the source video (and I'm out and about so I couldn't do it right this minute anyway). That said, my own experience with futzing around is basically that an increased bitrate can help, but it's sometimes not enough to make a huge difference unless you really go all out. 1k->2k bitrate might give you 'crap' to 'decent', but it might take 2k->5k to go from 'decent' to 'great'. Youtube is always gonna downsample you based on the resolution, but if your video is crystal clear to begin with the damage will be less noticeable.

The big way you get a break from youtube there is to upload HD video, which isn't always an option. Still, your video is currently defaulting to 360p out of 480p. There's some url hacks you can use to configure the url to default to 480p, but that gets overridden by someone's user configuration if they're logged in so it's not perfect.

The source video is already encoded at 2.5kbps, and looks crystal clear to me. I'll try it again at a higher res but I'm not optimistic.

I've been avoiding making HD video because the source footage caps out at 512x448, and upsampling just to downsample seems wasteful and lossy. Will give it a try though.

Niggurath posted:

I really think this looks good in a visual sense, the problem is that you have a lot of text on-screen and even outside the timing I think it's going to deter people from trying to read out entire paragraphs worth of information. Is this information that wouldn't technically be put in the OP of your thread or would there be any harm in reading it out accompanied by the images and video?

I went back and looked at the attract mode video I'm parodying and they use one or two lines max per job. I think I'll try that and save the fancy write-up for an actual post. Going from a screenshot mentality to hybrid, I think I overcompensated and ended up in video, and fell too in love with my concept. Thanks for the reality check.

ivantod posted:

Haha, so you ARE going to play the IZJS version then after all, huh? :) I had no idea what I was starting with that little innocent comment!

Gonna let the thread participate in picking jobs and Espers too. But not by popular vote, or sadistic assholes would make me roll with six Machinists.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 18, 2012

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Proteus4994 posted:

If every loving Pokemon test post wasn't the same old boring poo poo we've seen a thousand times we wouldn't need the ban.

I wouldn't care if someone did something actually interesting and unique with Pokemon.

Maybe a My Little Pony mod.

would you believe a MLP mod does exist?

http://ponymondawndusk.wikia.com/wiki/Ponymon_Dawn/Dusk_Wiki

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pokemon + My Little Pony sounds like a dangerous combination that would cause the LP forum to collapse within itself.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I have a feeling that there would be no pleasure to be found in an lp of that mod.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

mateo360 posted:

Can you become a Ponymon Master???

Fortunately there's already an excellent LP of this on youtube RIGHT NOW

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Brainamp posted:

I have a feeling that there would be no pleasure to be found in an lp of that mod.

I wouldn't even get any schadenfreude out of watching someone LP a game like that.

EDIT:

Roar posted:

Oh goddamn. "Hi I'm a brony."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BrainWeasel posted:

The source video is already encoded at 2.5kbps, and looks crystal clear to me. I'll try it again at a higher res but I'm not optimistic.
I wouldn't be either.

quote:

I've been avoiding making HD video because the source footage caps out at 512x448, and upsampling just to downsample seems wasteful and lossy. Will give it a try though.
Keep us posted on how it turns out, this is a particular usage-case I've been curious about. Obviously if you were self-hosting or something you would absolutely not want to do this, but when you're working within the rules Youtube puts you under you might still come out ahead. I'm guessing what you'll see overall is that your 360p resolution will probably look a bit worse, but your resized 720p resolution will probably look better than what you've got right now...but I'm really interested to see how it works in practice.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Roar posted:

Can you become a Ponymon Master???

oh god his mouse is in the middle of the screen.

He's reading the text out loud.

Oh god I don't think I can continue. I haven't even seen him battle a pony yet :gonk:

Oh god one of the moves is called 'giggle', I literally cried out in pain at that.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I wouldn't be either.

Keep us posted on how it turns out, this is a particular usage-case I've been curious about. Obviously if you were self-hosting or something you would absolutely not want to do this, but when you're working within the rules Youtube puts you under you might still come out ahead. I'm guessing what you'll see overall is that your 360p resolution will probably look a bit worse, but your resized 720p resolution will probably look better than what you've got right now...but I'm really interested to see how it works in practice.

Here's practice. I think it looks pretty good in both 480p large-player and 720p large-player, but the upsampling is kind of noticeable in 720p fullscreen.

e: Upping the bitrate of the 480p source to 4kbps did jack poo poo, as expected.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 18, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Pokemon + My Little Pony sounds like a dangerous combination that would cause the LP forum to collapse within itself.

No, you're missing just a couple of things. A blind VLP of Pokemon + MLP would cause LP to collapse.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

TwoPair posted:

No, you're missing just a couple of things. A blind VLP of Pokemon + MLP would cause LP to collapse.

What about a blind subtitled VLP of a MLP Pokemon mod?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd accept this only if the subtitles were posted via extremely intrusive Youtube annotations :colbert:

TwoPair posted:

Also the commentary should be split evenly between reading dialogue aloud, swearing whenever something bad happens, breathing directly into the microphone, chewing loudly, and singing along to the game music :v:

also fanfiction

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 18, 2012

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Niggurath posted:

I see no noticeable problems video wise and you've got good audio balance, the one thing that I'd say you might want to work on is your pauses. I assume you might be reading off a script but some places that you pause are rather awkward (like mid-sentence where there isn't any real emphasis going on). I'm also curious if you plan on just doing Metroid 1 or will you be doing anymore of the classic series?

A lot of mid-sentence pauses are a result of just completely losing my train of thought. :blush: I certainly won't rule out doing more classic Metroid games in the future. I do love me some Metroid.

Metroixer posted:

I've been wanting to see a good Metroid LP for a while now, this seems pretty good. I liked the video, my only complaint is the autoducking is jarring. I recommend just not autoduck altogether, since having the game start blaring chiptunes into the ears whenever you stop talking just hurts.

Also speaking of backtracking, will you be editing that out once it gets particularly bad?

Good point. I'll make a version with a non-autoducked lower, but constant game audio level and see how it turns out. As for backtracking, I've planned out a route that minimizes contentless backtracking. There's only one big one, namely trudging out of Norfair after fighting Ridley, and that will certainly be dropped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loquacius posted:

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd accept this only if the subtitles were posted via extremely intrusive Youtube annotations :colbert:

Also the commentary should be split evenly between reading dialogue aloud, swearing whenever something bad happens, breathing directly into the microphone, chewing loudly, and singing along to the game music :v:

also fanfiction

And of course doing voices for every character as well as rewriting the main character as a self insert.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

loquacius posted:

also fanfiction

Not a ridiculous amount of savestating, though?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

mateo360 posted:

Yes, I would absolutely believe this.

I'm going to guess that the overlap between people in their 20s who still play Pokemon and people in their 20s who watch My Little Pony is pretty loving big.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And here I thought I was joking about the pony-themed Pokemon LP.

poo poo.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And here I thought I was joking about the pony-themed Pokemon LP.

poo poo.

You should be more careful. Making jokes about pony-themed anything causes it to phase into being. Kind of like Lovecraftian horrors, really.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Roxors posted:

You should be more careful. Making jokes about pony-themed anything causes it to phase into being. Kind of like Lovecraftian horrors, really.

MLP themed Vocaloid singing Touhou remixes. :v:
Let's combine some of the worst fan circles and see what happens!

I would not be surprised if this already exists. The internet is a strange and oft impenetrable place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Proteus4994 posted:

Yes, I would absolutely believe this.

I'm going to guess that the overlap between people in their 20s who still play Pokemon and people in their 20s who watch My Little Pony is pretty loving big.

As someone who fits both, I'd like to see someone draw up this graph.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought this thread was created to make things more comprehensible, not to encourage anarchy and derailing.

As for the watermarking and branding thing: There's no point in trying to label videos with your "brand" until you've already created a circle of people who have a positive response to your name. An intro announcing some unknown personality will discourage more people than it could possibly lure in, IMHO.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

steinrokkan posted:

I thought this thread was created to make things more comprehensible, not to encourage anarchy and derailing.

OH NO MY PRECIOUS SANDCASTLE!!!!!!

When someone posts a test post the thread will get back on track. New Sandcastle threads always do this for a couple of pages.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I seem to remember the Sandcastle being about LP-related discussion once upon a time. I think things have gotten away from over the last year or two.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I know reading the text on the screen is the best way to make people yell at you in a voice VLP. But what about in a subtitled vlp? Would someone have to write the actual words on the screen in the subtitle bar and put them again on screen? What is the worst thing a subtitled VLP can do?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Spintzel posted:

I know reading the text on the screen is the best way to make people yell at you in a voice VLP. But what about in a subtitled vlp? Would someone have to write the actual words on the screen in the subtitle bar and put them again on screen? What is the worst thing a subtitled VLP can do?

Start writing subtitled alternate dialog for every character and basically become a fanfiction.

Kind of like whatever this thing is.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

If not here, then it would only happen in better threads. Where the hell would you discuss LPs if not in the Sandcastle?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If not here, then it would only happen in better threads. Where the hell would you discuss LPs if not in the Sandcastle?
In the IRC, or in a deep cave, or ummmm a twitter account? Or not at all because some feel that any LP discussion is too much LP discussion cause it becomes serious....too, too serious for words.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

steinrokkan posted:

The thread has the paranthetical of argue about LPs here. Everyone is just doing their part in following the instructions, thank you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Start writing subtitled alternate dialog for every character and basically become a fanfiction.

I mean, even that could be okay if the game's actual dialog sucked and you were funny enough. Plenty of SSLPs do this kind of thing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

BrainWeasel posted:

Here's practice. I think it looks pretty good in both 480p large-player and 720p large-player, but the upsampling is kind of noticeable in 720p fullscreen.

e: Upping the bitrate of the 480p source to 4kbps did jack poo poo, as expected.

If you scale the video to 720 on your end and then encode it with a high bitrate, you should see a difference (assuming you want to keep it at the original video's resolution while benefiting from the increased encode quality Youtube HD offers). Although, 1080 would probably be better. What does YouTube do with videos scaled at 960, does anyone know?

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 19, 2012

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

If you really want to screw up subtitles, you have to focus on the form rather than the content.
  • All subtitles should take up at least half of the screen (preferably the middle half).
  • Proofreading is for chumps.
  • The color of the subtitles should have the same value as the background color, and the hue should be either pink or green.
  • If you can, add a fuzzy shadow in a contrasting color (not black or white).
  • Use lots of emoticons, preferably the horizontal kind. o_O
  • Remember, Times New Roman is more suited for serious LPs, whereas Comic Sans makes all of your jokes funnier and Papyrus adds a personal touch.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

RoeCocoa posted:

If you really want to screw up subtitles, you have to focus on the form rather than the content.
  • All subtitles should take up at least half of the screen (preferably the middle half).
  • Proofreading is for chumps.
  • The color of the subtitles should have the same value as the background color, and the hue should be either pink or green.
  • If you can, add a fuzzy shadow in a contrasting color (not black or white).
  • Use lots of emoticons, preferably the horizontal kind. o_O
  • Remember, Times New Roman is more suited for serious LPs, whereas Comic Sans makes all of your jokes funnier and Papyrus adds a personal touch.

This implies that they're in the same place all the time. You aren't doing it right unless you have to go hunting to find them.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Be sure to use subtitles to draw attention away from all the action on screen; your audience doesn't need to see the game anyway, right? They should also be used extensively during cutscenes in games with lots of talking.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

pun pundit posted:

If you scale the video to 720 on your end and then encode it with a high bitrate, you should see a difference (assuming you want to keep it at the original video's resolution while benefiting from the increased encode quality Youtube HD offers). Although, 1080 would probably be better. What does YouTube do with videos scaled at 960, does anyone know?

That's what I did on that video (upscaled locally to 720, encoded at 5500 kbps, slightly higher than YT suggests).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

pun pundit posted:

What does YouTube do with videos scaled at 960, does anyone know?

Scales down to 720. Youtube always scales down to the nearest resolution (240, 360, 480, 720, 1080) as far as I've been able to tell. So a 1079 will get scaled down to 720, theoretically. I think I made a video accidently cropped 12 pixels below 720 and they only encoded it up to 480.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

BrainWeasel posted:

Hi, few ideas for you;

If you need to make the piece of music longer, you maybe be able to cut and duplicate sections of the track to elongate it without anyone really noticing or getting annoyed, especially if it actually loops itself in some way anyway. Audacity can help you out there. I had to do this a lot for that one LP I actually did, since I replaced all the in game music with remastered versions the original composer made, but weren't intended to loop.

Your video is filled with flashy effects and stuff, right? Presumably what you did was take your finished video, and upscale it to 720p or higher to get that quality on youtube? Given the amount of difference it's made (it eliminated the awful pixel dancing, for one), it's probably worth working on a 720p video as a base for those effects, especially for the text (unless you're already doing this). The background's scrolling doesn't seem as perfectly smooth as it could be, either, but maybe that's just me, though this may be an artifact of upscaling the finished product, as it's impossible to tell on the original video.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Mastigophoran posted:

The background's scrolling doesn't seem as perfectly smooth as it could be, either, but maybe that's just me, though this may be an artifact of upscaling the finished product, as it's impossible to tell on the original video.

I think it's actually an artifact of the Animate filter in AviSynth. I did the slow scrolling by taking a long image and applying an Animate Crop to it. Animate does linear interpolation between the start and the end, but only integer values, so it looks kind of jerky sometimes. But if I start at 720p, then downsample, the result in 480p should approximate sub-pixel movement. Gonna try this next, thanks.

I am learning a lot doing these test videos.

vv e: That's what I meant too, but that it would look like that when played in the player at 480p. Me am good English today

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

BrainWeasel posted:

But if I start at 720p, then downsample, the result in 480p should approximate sub-pixel movement.

Well, I meant more that you could then just leave it in 720p and upload it to youtube since it would eliminate a lot of the artefacts of having upscaled it since all your text/gradients/scrolling etc would be in 720p to begin with, but, what you said is probably true, too.

• Locked thread