Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

It's like Super Meat Boy but with exploding penguins. Let's play Prinny, dood!

Prinnies are penguin creatures from Disgaea, a series of japanese tactical rpgs. They are the souls of criminals sent in the Netherworld and reincarnated into demon penguins to be slaves and atone for their crimes. Prinnies are basically the weakest monsters in the world because of their crippling weakness : they explode when they're hit by anything. Kind of like nitroglycerine.

Prinny, Can I really be the Hero? is a spinoff of Disgaea. It is an old school platformer that is very hard. The game is divided in 10 stages. The 6 first stages can be played in any order. The order you play them in actually changes the layout of the levels and you get different little scenes at the end.

Which difficulty are you playing?
There are two difficulty settings, Standard and Hell's finest. The only difference between the two is that in standard, you die after getting hit 4 times. In Hell's Finest, you die in one hit. I will first do a playthrough in Standard and then I'll see if I can muster the will to do another playthrough in Hell's finest.

So in which order are you going to play these levels?
Whatever order the thread decides. That's right, you get to vote which level I play. Keep in mind that for every level completed, all the other levels get harder, so choose wisely. Or don't if you want to see me suffer a lot.

Here are the six levels :

Current Netherworld Ranking : 1 star

Current Netherworld Ranking : 2 stars

Current Netherworld Ranking : 2 stars

Current Netherworld Ranking : 3 stars

Current Netherworld Ranking : 4 stars

Current Netherworld Ranking : 1 star

Episode list :

Episode 00 - youtube - polsy

Ragny fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I see you have not attempted my Youtube PSP upscaling suggestion!

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I knew I forgot something. :doh:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Mastigophoran posted:

Well, I meant more that you could then just leave it in 720p and upload it to youtube since it would eliminate a lot of the artefacts of having upscaled it since all your text/gradients/scrolling etc would be in 720p to begin with, but, what you said is probably true, too.

One last try before I gently caress off and generate some new content. I did everything I could natively in 720p and cut like 60% of the words. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think that's much better. (PS fix "versitility" in the Knight writeup)

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I see you have not attempted my Youtube PSP upscaling suggestion!
Alright, I just changed the videos in my test post.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Why LP this? Just Cause!... 2

(Why steal jokes from Yahtzee? Just lazy! I'm sure I'll think of a better thread title later.)

---

What is it?
It's an open world, mission-based sandbox game about a guy with a momentum-cancelling hookshot and infinite parachutes. Also something about southeast Asia and dictators and modern Western imperialism, but who gives a poo poo about that when you've got a hookshot and parachute? I sure don't.

Wikipedia posted:

Just Cause 2 is an open world action-adventure video game developed by Avalanche Studios, published by Eidos Interactive, and distributed by Square Enix. It is the sequel to the 2006 video game Just Cause.

Just Cause 2 employs the Avalanche Engine 2.0, an updated version of the engine used in Just Cause. The game is set on the other side of the world from the original Just Cause, on the fictional island of Panau. The island is located in the south-east of Asia. Panau has varied terrain, from desert to alpine to rainforest. Rico Rodriguez returns as the protagonist, aiming to overthrow the evil dictator Pandak "Baby" Panay and confront his former mentor, Tom Sheldon.

What kind of LP is this?
This is in no way a serious game, so this will be in no way a serious LP. I'm going to spend a lot of time trying to do stuff that looks cool, and not a lot of time thinking about the paper-thin 'story' that strings the action along.

Are you going to 100% the game?
Maybe if you paid me, but otherwise gently caress no.

Is there going to be any thread participation?
Well, you can pay me to 100% the game.

Aside that.
Of course. As the tutorial mission shows, I have gently caress all to talk about in an informative manner, so I'm going to have guest commentators join me in... pretty much every video, if I can manage it. If you're interested, just post in the thread or hit me up on Skype.

What if we just want to participate from the thread?
There will still be chances there, too! The missions are focused around three factions, so everyone will have the chance to vote on which faction we do missions for. Additionally, I am a sucker for fan art and stuff like that, and may think of some way to reward contributions of that nature.

---

Test video: Youtube

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

You don't have to sound quite so bored. You might not like some points of JC2, but it sounds like you don't want to be doing this at all.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Brainamp posted:

You don't have to sound quite so bored. You might not like some points of JC2, but it sounds like you don't want to be doing this at all.

I don't mean to sound bored. Part of it is from not knowing what to talk about, and part of it is just how I sound. IIRC my sandcastle post for Alpha Protocol drew several comments about sounding like I'm depressed or falling asleep.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

CirclMastr posted:

Part of it is from not knowing what to talk about

If you don't know what to talk about in the first video, you're going to be hosed later on.

And JC2 is like the most crazy awesome open world game ever (either JC2 or Mercs 2), there's like no limit to the amount of insane poo poo you can do in that game. I have no idea how you wouldn't know what to talk about.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

If you don't know what to talk about in the first video, you're going to be hosed later on.

And JC2 is like the most crazy awesome open world game ever (either JC2 or Mercs 2), there's like no limit to the amount of insane poo poo you can do in that game. I have no idea how you wouldn't know what to talk about.

Unfortunately almost none of that awesome poo poo is in the tutorial mission. The only thing I really had a chance to show off was the (dis)mounted machine gun, and apparently even then I sound bored.

Like I said in the writeup, I'm planning to have co-commentators for the rest of the videos, and having a multi-person dynamic is certainly going to help. I thought it would be better to have the introductory video solo, but maybe I should have a guest here too.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I thought it would be better to have the introductory video solo, but maybe I should have a guest here too.

Your introductory video may be the only one anyone ever sees so you should make it the best one in your LP (or at least very very good). Most people will click on a thread and watch the first video; if they are bored and/or don't like what they see, they will most likely close the tab and never click on your thread again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Your test post doesn't have to be the tutorial stage, or the first video in the LP. Do something more interesting for your test post if you want to give yourself a better chance to shine.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Your test post doesn't have to be the tutorial stage, or the first video in the LP. Do something more interesting for your test post if you want to give yourself a better chance to shine.
Also do it in HD cause Just Cause 2 is a nice looking game and SD doesn't really show that off.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I'm also wondering how you're going to handle the segments between the main missions. There's a healthy amount of "grinding" for Chaos points. Are you going to show those? Cut them out? Do a highlight reel?

There are some times that the first video is not a good indicator of the LP. I think this is one of those times.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012
Hi, everyone! I've felt like trying my hand at a screenshot/narrative/humorous LP since going through and reading about 50 of them on the archive. I picked an old game that some people will recognize, but that probably hasn't been LP'ed to death yet: Lord of the Rings, Vol I, by Interplay for the IBM PC in 1990. I've done my OP of the intro and such, if anyone would like to take a look and make suggestions.

I posted it on the offsite test area, as directed.

Thanks ahead of time for any interest or help anybody offers!

EDIT: Just noticed the mistaken emote about 4/5 of the way through. Will fix it for the OP.

EDIT 2: Made some changes to the intro text and commentary in response to Psycho Serum's gentle and helpful advice.

FakeKraid fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 21, 2012

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FakeKraid posted:

Hi, everyone! I've felt like trying my hand at a screenshot/narrative/humorous LP since going through and reading about 50 of them on the archive. I picked an old game that some people will recognize, but that probably hasn't been LP'ed to death yet: Lord of the Rings, Vol I, by Interplay for the IBM PC in 1990. I've done my OP of the intro and such, if anyone would like to take a look and make suggestions.

I posted it on the offsite test area, as directed.

Thanks ahead of time for any interest or help anybody offers!

EDIT: Just noticed the mistaken emote about 4/5 of the way through. Will fix it for the OP.

Okay see I'm trying to think of a constructive way to put this, but uh here's the problem: Your writing is crap. I mean properly bad. You open the update by rambling way too long about who you are and some poo poo I don't care about blah blah blah and then just poo poo weak one-liners all over the place with no real jokes beyond poo poo like haha wizards? heavy metal! GET IT and oh my god loving Thundercats are you serious yes we get it, Bilbo must be high, good one, make it another three times! It gets funnier with each repeat!

Look the problem is that you're not funny. That's okay. Lots of people are not good with humour. However in this case that's a problem, because you're basically breaking down a cutscene and attempting to joker over it, and it is not working even slightly. Maybe make a video of the intro, and then try to be informative through the gameplay? Tell us how the game works and why it sucks and maybe some poo poo about Tolkein, someone is bound to care, something like that because seriously, jokes are NOT your strong point.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Okay see I'm trying to think of a constructive way to put this, but uh here's the problem: Your writing is crap. I mean properly bad. You open the update by rambling way too long about who you are and some poo poo I don't care about blah blah blah and then just poo poo weak one-liners all over the place with no real jokes beyond poo poo like haha wizards? heavy metal! GET IT and oh my god loving Thundercats are you serious yes we get it, Bilbo must be high, good one, make it another three times! It gets funnier with each repeat!

Look the problem is that you're not funny. That's okay. Lots of people are not good with humour. However in this case that's a problem, because you're basically breaking down a cutscene and attempting to joker over it, and it is not working even slightly. Maybe make a video of the intro, and then try to be informative through the gameplay? Tell us how the game works and why it sucks and maybe some poo poo about Tolkein, someone is bound to care, something like that because seriously, jokes are NOT your strong point.

Not really a suggestion, but I'll give it consideration. There's honestly not really that much to joke about in the opening video, and that is more than likely where the problem lies. I might be better served by going straight through the video and getting to the gameplay immediately, then attempting some humor. As for the earlier part, I can cut things out if you think the infodump is excessive. But I'm going to wait to hear more opinions first.

I'm not doing a video for two reasons: first, I lack the technology to do it well, and second, the game would absolutely not lend itself to video treatment. The animations are stilted, jerky, and old, the graphics were decent for the time but are still muddy and unappealing by today's standards, the music and sound are sparse and lo-fi, and about 80% of the game is walking around - and even the parts that aren't walking around aren't that interesting to watch.

God, that makes it sound like a bad game, doesn't it? Well, it isn't. It has a lot going for it - just not stuff that would make a good video. I agree, in retrospect, that some of the jokes were ineffective, and an extra round of editing an hour or two later would have been helpful. I'll keep that in mind for my future efforts.

FakeKraid fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 21, 2012

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I have permission to post from Slowbeef. I am fully aware of the hole I am digging for myself. So...

Cracka, OHKO my Roosevelts? Let's Play Pokemon White!

(Better suggestions welcome, they'll be the least negative feedback I get. :v:)

Test post is here.

Current problems:

- Cropping out the second screen where it's not needed.
- Sorting out all the many images I'll need on Imgur. I'll probably shift over to LPix at some point but I'm unfamiliar with that site right now.
- Making sure every image works in every post.
- Updating on a regular basis.

:supaburn: Artist's impression of ungulateman after the thread's replies to his horrible, horrible post.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know if you're going somewhere with this or what, but you really don't need a snappy one-liner after every single line of dialogue. I'm not saying don't take the piss out of the game, but you're doing it a bit too much. Also, it'd be nice to actually see some content from the game rather than just the intro. You can just choose a Pokemon to show off what a normal update will look like with gameplay and all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah, I think I was going a bit heavy on dialogue because I was trying a little bit hard to be funny. Later updates would have less :words: about mocking the game and more :words: related to the original content I mentioned.

I agree on the content part, I'll try and wrangle another test post together within a day or two to demonstrate some actualy gameplay rather than the aforementioned :words:.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know if you're going somewhere with this or what, but you really don't need a snappy one-liner after every single line of dialogue. I'm not saying don't take the piss out of the game, but you're doing it a bit too much. Also, it'd be nice to actually see some content from the game rather than just the intro. You can just choose a Pokemon to show off what a normal update will look like with gameplay and all.

Yeah, this would be my main complaint too, it's actually a little hard to read with an almost 1:1 ratio of lines of dialogue to one-liners. Try cutting down on it a bit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Technical things? Crop the second screen when it's not needed, there is almost never anything interesting there in B/W.

Otherwise, if I may offer my opinion, I don't really see this going anywhere at all. For all you saying this is going to be different from all those other fanfic LPs, it sure does seem like one of those fanfic LPs.

E: Well okay maybe I should have read the list of known problems

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 21, 2012

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ungulateman posted:

I have permission to post from Slowbeef. I am fully aware of the hole I am digging for myself. So...

Test post is here.

Current problems:

- Sorting out all the many images I'll need on Imgur. I'll probably shift over to LPix at some point but I'm unfamiliar with that site right now.

:supaburn: Artist's impression of ungulateman after the thread's replies to his horrible, horrible post.

It's good that you're rolling with the punches before we even start throwing them, very convenient

Okay seriously why are you doing this. Why. I want an explanation of why you think this is a good idea and what you're going to bring to the table and not screenshots of a pokemon intro with some tepid 'jokes' tacked on after every line of dialogue because who would want that. I demand an explanation and it better be good and not more awful eye-rolling shrug-shouldered "well, I guess everyone hates me! haha! That sure is unexpected! I guess all LP SuperStars are unappreciated in their own lifetime!" weak-rear end ohoho you got me there, guys, poo poo because what loving idiot thinks Pokemon makes for a good LP? EXPLAIN WHY THIS WILL BE WORTH READING, DO IT

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Start writing subtitled alternate dialog for every character and basically become a fanfiction.

Kind of like whatever this thing is.

As mentioned, a lot of SSLPs do this well, like Dark Id's current run of FFX, so it's not really a hard rule.

Then again, as far as I can tell nothing is a hard rule, apart from "have some decent video/audio quality". The latest LP from Kung Fu Jesus literally states in the first post "this is a Video Let's Play. The game is played blind. There is no editing. There is talking over cutscenes. The game is Final Fantasy Thirteen Two." People still love it though, because the commentators are entertaining.

Most of the stuff that people tell you not to do in LPs seem to have their place in LPing. A blind run is good for getting real reactions to a game and its plot twists/jokes. Talking over cutscenes can add a lot to games with long cutscenes to make a game the viewer has already played enjoyable (something like MGS with 10 minute cutscenes comes to mind) which is why Chip and Ironicus provide talking-over versions of all their videos. Taking a character and creating your own backstory and lines for him can provide a lot of comedic value, which is basically what Retsupurae did with BillyMC (there are better examples, but I just saw their latest BillyMC video). Find a "rule" someone gives about LPing and it seems like you can always find people respected as LPers who break that rule and get applauded for it.

So, from what I can see, the worst thing you can do in a subtitled LP is just not be interesting. If your lines are enjoyable or add something to the experience, you're all set.

Dragoon Cody fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 21, 2012

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ungulateman posted:

Oh and change the title because jesus christ that poo poo has gotten tiresome enough in the PC2012 thread where it bloody started, don't spread it around you idiot people either won't get it or be sick of it, there is no possible way to laugh at it

Quote is not edit, go me

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

ungulateman posted:

Test post is here.

Current problems:

I feel like just explaining that you have permission from Slowbeef will not get people to not ignore the thread as just another Pokemon LP. Explain what the actual goal is rather than just to be "good" in the first post.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Psycho Serum posted:

Okay seriously why are you doing this. Why. I want an explanation of why you think this is a good idea and what you're going to bring to the table and not screenshots of a pokemon intro with some tepid 'jokes' tacked on after every line of dialogue because who would want that. I demand an explanation and it better be good and not more awful eye-rolling shrug-shouldered "well, I guess everyone hates me! haha! That sure is unexpected! I guess all LP SuperStars are unappreciated in their own lifetime!" weak-rear end ohoho you got me there, guys, poo poo because what loving idiot thinks Pokemon makes for a good LP? EXPLAIN WHY THIS WILL BE WORTH READING, DO IT

Quoted for truth, in addition to showing who I'm replying to.

Before I begin, I fully expect the hate because it's a Pokemon LP and I'm perfectly aware that I'm a mediocre LPer (at best).

Put simply, I want to emulate the famous LP of Animal Crossing which took a game which seemed impossible to LP well and made something phenomenal out of it by making liberal use of original content and crazed theories on what's actually going on behind the scenes.

I don't expect to be able to do it as well as that guy because I don't have any artistic skill and, well, Pokemon is more linear than something like Animal Crossing. At the beginning in particular, it's going to have trouble not looking like a generic terrible fanfiction LP, which is why I'm obviously seeking as much feedback here as I can get, and trying to step away from the obvious cliches of this genre.

The section over the intro does a much better job at expressing this than the amazingly boring introduction, in my opinion.

Psycho Serum posted:

Oh and change the title because jesus christ that poo poo has gotten tiresome enough in the PC2012 thread where it bloody started, don't spread it around you idiot people either won't get it or be sick of it, there is no possible way to laugh at it

Noted. I'm perfectly open to suggestions, but my title for now is N-Braham Lincoln frees the slaves: Let's Play Pokemon White!

That's probably just as bad but it's more relevant to the game itself.

Brassherald posted:

I feel like just explaining that you have permission from Slowbeef will not get people to not ignore the thread as just another Pokemon LP. Explain what the actual goal is rather than just to be "good" in the first post.

As mentioned above, creating original content which isn't self-insert based or bad, like the Animal Crossing thread. I have big plans for the story, and a surprise which I think would be a great revelation, again, like the Animal Crossing thread. I'm aware this is very hard to do right and I'm not particularly good at it, but I want to try and hopefully make something great out of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You didn't even put any effort into the presentation with the images. You said you'll take out the second screen later, so why didn't you do it before posting this? It's easy to batch crop it out with Irfanview, which you'd learn if you bothered looking at the Tech Support Fort OP. You should also have resized your screenshots, as the DS's native resolution is rather tiny when looking at it on a computer with a large resolution. Again, easy to do with Irfanview.

The problem is that this isn't that distinct from the five hundred other Pokemon narrative LP's. poo poo, even something like sperging over mechanics and going in-depth on the meta-game and the various Pokemon would be something different. If you are somehow a brilliant writer of narratives, you could surely choose a better game to show off your talents than Pokemon, which everyone's pretty familiar with already and which doesn't really have much to show off.

Unless you have something unique to offer in a Pokemon LP, I wouldn't bother. And that goes for all you lurkers at well, plotting how to win over the masses with your masterfully-crafted narratives on letting ten-year-olds run off on their own enslaving monsters that would kill them in real life.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 21, 2012

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

poo poo, even something like sperging over mechanics and going in-depth on the meta-game and the various Pokemon would be something different.

I'd be perfectly willing to do this if it'd be preferred by you guys, so you know. I have a shamefully excessive amount of knowledge on Pokemon's mechanics and metagame. :shobon:

But yeah, I really should consider that the big twist in my story is the only really special part, and that'd come after an entire decent-at-best LP.

On the upside, LPix is now operating and I am now aware of this wonderful mass-cropping tool, so I might be able to not be terrible if I put the effort in! :v:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ungulateman posted:

I'd be perfectly willing to do this if it'd be preferred by you guys, so you know. I have a shamefully excessive amount of knowledge on Pokemon's mechanics and metagame. :shobon:

But yeah, I really should consider that the big twist in my story is the only really special part, and that'd come after an entire decent-at-best LP.

On the upside, LPix is now operating and I am now aware of this wonderful mass-cropping tool, so I might be able to not be terrible if I put the effort in! :v:
Wait...so you had only one really special and unique part to the entire LP? You'll definitely need something a little bit more involved than that because Pokemon is very repetitive nonsense that got run into the ground years ago (and that's just from the perspective of a player, which is why trying to show it off as an interesting LP is even more difficult).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Put simply, I want to emulate the famous LP of Animal Crossing which took a game which seemed impossible to LP well and made something phenomenal out of it by making liberal use of original content and crazed theories on what's actually going on behind the scenes.

I don't expect to be able to do it as well as that guy because I don't have any artistic skill and, well, Pokemon is more linear than something like Animal Crossing. At the beginning in particular, it's going to have trouble not looking like a generic terrible fanfiction LP, which is why I'm obviously seeking as much feedback here as I can get, and trying to step away from the obvious cliches of this genre.

The section over the intro does a much better job at expressing this than the amazingly boring introduction, in my opinion.

That sounds very difficult to pull off effectively, especially since you'll have to endure the slow ramp-up beforehand. For all we know, you could be effective with that style, but you really have an upward road to climb before pulling that off.

If you do decide to pursue this, the main problem is getting people to actually stick with it. If you make this, people will poo poo all over you for the first several updates for being derivative. That said, I'm half-tempted to see if you can actually pull it off, and if you can get over the backlash and the regular pains of doing screenshot LP's, you have the potential to impress people with already-low expectations.

Definitely improve your presentation concerning the images, but if you can get all that worked out, I'd actually recommend posting it just to see if it works. If not, you'll get the poo poo mocked out of you and maybe probated for a lovely LP at the worst. If it works, then you'll actually deliver a new approach to an overdone game that some people may genuinely enjoy. Just don't expect a large audience supporting you even if you are successful.

And yes, I know I'm recommending someone post their fanfiction Pokemon LP. Screw it, I'd like to see more experimental stuff pop up in LP's, even if it turns out to bomb. Worst thing about a bad LP is that someone wasted time writing a lovely demonstration of a video game, and people wasted their time reading it and posting how horrible the OP is.

Edit:

That said, I'd definitely mine for as much information from the Sandcastle as possible to make it good before posting it. And also work on the images, as people will immediately disregard the LP if it looks bad.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

That is an incredibly encouraging thing to read. Thanks. :)

For the record, what I meant is that there'd be one :tviv: part, like the Animal Crossing LP's It was Nook all along, but the rest would be at least worth reading (hopefully).

Do you think having my in-character parts being the poo poo fanfiction and my out-of-character parts being spergy mechanics stuff would work? I think I can handle both, I'm just not sure if I should in a single LP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ungulateman posted:

Look, all narrative LPs want to be The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. And to be frank, you're probably never going to be as good as that thread, and it's best if you stop trying to imitate past successes and do your own thing.

dirtysammiches
Jun 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Noted. I'm perfectly open to suggestions, but my title for now is N-Braham Lincoln frees the slaves: Let's Play Pokemon White!

i highly advise against almost everything you're doing, especially this

edit: vvvvv

Waffleman_ posted:

Look, all narrative LPs want to be The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. And to be frank, you're probably never going to be as good as that thread, and it's best if you stop trying to imitate past successes and do your own thing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Well making good titles is hard okay. :psyduck: Worst comes to worst I'll just use Let's Play Pokemon White and wait for people to make suggestions.

I, uh, am not having an easy time working out how to batch crop. I can't select more than one file and I seem to have to crop each image on a picture-by-picture basis. The guides for using Irfanview to get images is handy but doesn't cover the issue of having multiple screens to work with. Am I missing something obvious or do I need to tediously cut every image to pieces to make it work?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Well making good titles is hard okay. :psyduck: Worst comes to worst I'll just use Let's Play Pokemon White and wait for people to make suggestions.

I, uh, am not having an easy time working out how to batch crop. I can't select more than one file and I seem to have to crop each image on a picture-by-picture basis. The guides for using Irfanview to get images is handy but doesn't cover the issue of having multiple screens to work with. Am I missing something obvious or do I need to tediously cut every image to pieces to make it work?

You'd probably be better off asking this at the Tech Support Fort, but I'll go ahead and explain here.

File - Batch

Assuming you're using an emulator, go with PNG images. You'll want to add the images you want to alter in the bottom-right area, easily done by dragging them there from the folder they're in. Make sure to check "Use advanced options" under image type, and then click Advanced.

For Crop, X and Y are the starting points of the area you want to keep. I'm cropping 640x448 images in this case, so I'm basically cropping 32 pixels off each side (starting at 32x32, then having the height and width -64 pixels each). It's a bit confusing compared to other cropping notation I've seen, but once you've got a hang of it it's not too bad.

In your case, you can pretty much leave everything blank besides height. Just choose height to half the height of the current image, and it should cut the images like that.

And then you can resize it to whatever. I'd recommend 2x since that'll maintain the image proportions and will generally look better than 1.75x or whatever.

On the bottom left corner is "Use resample function". I'd recommend testing it both with it checked and without it checked to see which is better. I assume without would work better since it's a sprite-based game and all, but it's good to experiment. Don't forget to enable Crop and Resize.

Then just click OK, select a path to output them (probably best if in a different folder from the one they're in), and click Start Batch on the lower left of the batch screen. Experiment as necessary.

Let me know if I messed something up or forgot something, since I generally don't use Irfanview other than to batch rename (AvsPmod makes it mostly irrelevant if you record your gameplay and then take screenshots that way, since you can do all that in the AviSynth script).

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Reminder that you don't need a stupid clever title for a let's play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
DS screens are 256x192 each. 512x384 if double-sized. Cropping from the left-top with Irfanview will remove the top screen, and right-bottom will get the bottom screen.

And pick Oshawott for gently caress's sake. Get to some battles. Unless you can add silly drawings (you haven't) or you're a great writer (you aren't) you're probably going to rely on being informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Unless you can add silly drawings (you haven't) or you're a great writer (you aren't) you're probably going to rely on being informative.

I am wondering if we should make the new condition, even before asking permission, that you NEED to have demonstrable ability of some kind. Like some kind of CV for I Can Be Funny Here, Let Me Do Pokemon. Submit a writing sample and portfolio or some poo poo.

Because frankly ungulateman, nothing you have brought to the table has shown that you shouldn't just get your permission taken away :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread