Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraai
Apr 24, 2007
Roguestar's Eternal Bitch
Yo!

I've got a YouTube channel (how original, I know) and went on hiatus a while back to to my crazy wife life. There are a few of us doing this as a group and our main thingy is how we will be going through every Star Wars video game ever. Just touching on the older ones but then making a more concerted effort to finish the later, more story-heavy games. This includes major story missions from the MMOs. Wot.

There are a few other features we were doing but I'm thinking of just scrapping most of that old poo poo.

Anyway, I'm really here to ask a question about my videos. Do you think the quick and dirty editing job is good enough or should I be doing more to edit my videos? Paring them down/making them prettier/whatever.

I've got five Star Wars duders up so far and they are in the playlist below. gently caress me with honesty.

Start Warts!

I am also an internet Marine and can break bones with my mind. Please be aware of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I tried reading your post and me eyes just started melting

thanks for that

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What does the facecam add to your video?
Not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious why people do it.

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I tried reading your post and me eyes just started melting

thanks for that

Is it a glorious kaleidoscope of colour now?

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I like facecams, that's all. My most recent one where the opacity was weak seems a bit weird, but I still enjoy the peek at the people playing.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

anilEhilated posted:

Because everyone does them, and viewers have a creepy need to relate to the video-maker visually for god knows why. It's the hottest way to get more Clicks Per Minute and maintain Viewer Retention and other things that make me sad to read and write.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
SAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaandcastle

I'm not saying anything I'm just saying sandcastle is a fun word to say

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Kraai posted:

I like facecams, that's all.

I agree!

However, and I'm asking this with peace and love, why would someone watch a 40 minute video about an old-"arse" NES game in 2015 where you don't really say anything interesting, you die a lot, and don't aggressively edit? I'm listing these things in descending order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft_RGjGa6QA

I know that the Angry Video Gaming Nerd still makes videos, but do people really care about an NES game being hard still? Maybe I am weak minded, ala the Storm Troopers from episode 1 (LOL).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Forer posted:

I'm not saying anything I'm just saying sandcastle is a fun word to say

It is fun. That is probably the only reason why people keep saying "Burn down the sandcastle."

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

judge reinhold posted:

I know that the Angry Video Gaming Nerd still makes videos, but do people really care about an NES game being hard still? Maybe I am weak minded, ala the Storm Troopers from episode 1 (LOL).

People still play NES (or Famicom, as it were) and this one particularly is pretty under-the-radar. More to the point, it was the next one in the chronology after the last video I had released. This game was from 1987, and my next video will be coming straight from the year 1988. I'm on the losing end of the "why the gently caress does anyone care about this goddamn game" argument, I know. I'm just explaining my logic on touching on the Famicom Star Wars game.

AVGN doesn't do Let's Plays, to be fair. He does cinematic-style video reviews, which are a totally different format.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kraai posted:

AVGN doesn't do Let's Plays, to be fair. He does cinematic-style video reviews, which are a totally different format.

Both should still be edited properly

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Kraai posted:

I'm on the losing end of the "why the gently caress does anyone care about this goddamn game" argument, I know. I'm just explaining my logic on touching on the Famicom Star Wars game.

Sticking to a premise is not more important than making something watchable. If you aren't exactly sure why anyone cares about a game, then why would you expect a viewer to? Try to focus on media containing Jar-jar.

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Both should still be edited properly

So more editing is preferable, then.

judge reinhold posted:

Sticking to a premise is not more important than making something watchable. If you aren't exactly sure why anyone cares about a game, then why would you expect a viewer to? Try to focus on media containing Jar-jar.

Maybe doing some of these older games in short, quick videos, then. Maybe a quick montage of the more well-covered shite in the series. I'm still not convinced the last game I covered has no interest. None of my videos have any views, so I don't really have a metric to use.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kraai posted:

So more editing is preferable, then.

generally, yes, but just do whatever. either people will watch it or they wont. if they don't, then you know to try something new.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Hey, I know all about ladders, ok?! Let's Play Enchanted Arms!

The original XBox didn't have much of a JRPG offering, if it had anything at all, and there was a desire to rectify that for the XBox 360. The intent was for Enchanted Arms to be a 360 launch title, but it was delayed a few months and released in early 2006 by FromSoftware, who made the Armored Core series and more recently Dark Souls. This game is much more the first than the second, in that it's a nearly bog-standard JRPG.

Ultimately, that's what they were shooting for, and they produced a perfectly reasonable offering. It still spends a lot of time being stupid though, which is going to make this a fun ride.

Golems

Golems are the big unique thing this game presents. They are extra party members that you can collect or buy all throughout the game. Most of the time they're just backup party members or a way to bring more of a certain role with you, but some of them completely upend the normal way battles work. They can also all be renamed. In order to keep things changing, at the end of every set of episodes we'll include a list of all the new golems we can get. It'll be up to all of you to show off your hilarious wit, and if we like a name I will be adding that golem to the party for as long as is feasible, either until they become obsolete or get pushed out for a better golem.

EPISODES

1: Student Who Loves Festivals

The commentary for this and the next episode will have some commentary desync, I've asked the Tech Support Fort and will try recording my videos in a different format to clear that up. Also my co-commentators didn't have headphones and produced a fair about of bleed. They will rectify this error.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Istvun posted:

Hey, I know all about ladders, ok?! Let's Play Enchanted Arms!

The original XBox didn't have much of a JRPG offering, if it had anything at all, and there was a desire to rectify that for the XBox 360. The intent was for Enchanted Arms to be a 360 launch title, but it was delayed a few months and released in early 2006 by FromSoftware, who made the Armored Core series and more recently Dark Souls. This game is much more the first than the second, in that it's a nearly bog-standard JRPG.

Ultimately, that's what they were shooting for, and they produced a perfectly reasonable offering. It still spends a lot of time being stupid though, which is going to make this a fun ride.

Golems

Golems are the big unique thing this game presents. They are extra party members that you can collect or buy all throughout the game. Most of the time they're just backup party members or a way to bring more of a certain role with you, but some of them completely upend the normal way battles work. They can also all be renamed. In order to keep things changing, at the end of every set of episodes we'll include a list of all the new golems we can get. It'll be up to all of you to show off your hilarious wit, and if we like a name I will be adding that golem to the party for as long as is feasible, either until they become obsolete or get pushed out for a better golem.

EPISODES

1: Student Who Loves Festivals

The commentary for this and the next episode will have some commentary desync, I've asked the Tech Support Fort and will try recording my videos in a different format to clear that up. Also my co-commentators didn't have headphones and produced a fair about of bleed. They will rectify this error.

I've always wanted to play this game! So I'd very much be looking forward to the LP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lose the intro oh my god.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Kraai posted:

Yo!

I've got a YouTube channel (how original, I know) and went on hiatus a while back to to my crazy wife life. There are a few of us doing this as a group and our main thingy is how we will be going through every Star Wars video game ever. Just touching on the older ones but then making a more concerted effort to finish the later, more story-heavy games. This includes major story missions from the MMOs. Wot.

There are a few other features we were doing but I'm thinking of just scrapping most of that old poo poo.

Anyway, I'm really here to ask a question about my videos. Do you think the quick and dirty editing job is good enough or should I be doing more to edit my videos? Paring them down/making them prettier/whatever.

I've got five Star Wars duders up so far and they are in the playlist below. gently caress me with honesty.

Start Warts!

I am also an internet Marine and can break bones with my mind. Please be aware of that.

How is it that you have been here since 2007, yet you never once considered when you;
-started recording these sometime last year,
-consciously made the pointless intro,
-decided to start adding a Facecam to later videos (of games that don't even elicit emotional reaction, mind you, [I'm not saying facecam is ever a good idea, but in this case it's just pointless instead of a bad idea that has a tangential purpose]),
-uploaded the multiple videos to Youtube before seeking critique on one of them,
-posted them in this thread without an actual test post,
...that maybe, just maybe, this was not a very good start?

No, seriously did you buy a different reg date or something because I struggle to believe you'd waste money on this account, come back to it after nearly a decade of stagnation, and then try to break into the LP biz. That's my best guess though because if you've ever looked at this forum once in your life you'd know that that kind of posting usually isn't lauded anywhere on it.

Look, multiple takes are not a bad idea. Editing is not a bad idea. Dropping the whole project if it clearly isn't going to work is not a bad idea. You can't expect someone to sit through 40 minutes of commentary if there's no energy or charisma behind the words coming out. I don't want to say you should just give up, because practice makes perfect, but to be honest this is the kind of thing that looks unsalvageable. I'd love to be proven wrong, but you have a lot to correct before I even consider trying one of your videos again. Also don't post wacky random bullshit like you would on your Deviantart profile.

Regards,
R. Gamingo :letsplay:

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Lose the intro oh my god.

I've done that as part of my paring down the videos to be more relevant to the gameplay and commentary. It is a good song and the band are nice guys, but I feel that it really detracts from the video as a whole.

Steak Eater posted:

How is it that you have been here since 2007, yet you never once considered when you;
-started recording these sometime last year,
-consciously made the pointless intro,
-decided to start adding a Facecam to later videos (of games that don't even elicit emotional reaction, mind you, [I'm not saying facecam is ever a good idea, but in this case it's just pointless instead of a bad idea that has a tangential purpose]),
-uploaded the multiple videos to Youtube before seeking critique on one of them,
-posted them in this thread without an actual test post,
...that maybe, just maybe, this was not a very good start?

No, seriously did you buy a different reg date or something because I struggle to believe you'd waste money on this account, come back to it after nearly a decade of stagnation, and then try to break into the LP biz. That's my best guess though because if you've ever looked at this forum once in your life you'd know that that kind of posting usually isn't lauded anywhere on it.

Look, multiple takes are not a bad idea. Editing is not a bad idea. Dropping the whole project if it clearly isn't going to work is not a bad idea. You can't expect someone to sit through 40 minutes of commentary if there's no energy or charisma behind the words coming out. I don't want to say you should just give up, because practice makes perfect, but to be honest this is the kind of thing that looks unsalvageable. I'd love to be proven wrong, but you have a lot to correct before I even consider trying one of your videos again. Also don't post wacky random bullshit like you would on your Deviantart profile.

Regards,
R. Gamingo :letsplay:

The more I think about this post, the more I realize that some of your points are valid. It's a shame that you began with an argument out of disbelief over something as trivial as my account date, that puts me on the defensive and colours everything else you say with an unpleasant attitude. I will try to take into account your valid points, but more than likely, with time, your points will slip out of my personal pool of relevance. I've struck out everything I found non-constructive for your benefit. I hope we can speak on better terms soon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kraai posted:

The more I think about this post, the more I realize that some of your points are valid. It's a shame that you began with an argument out of disbelief over something as trivial as my account date, that puts me on the defensive and colours everything else you say with an unpleasant attitude. I will try to take into account your valid points, but more than likely, with time, your points will slip out of my personal pool of relevance. I've struck out everything I found non-constructive for your benefit. I hope we can speak on better terms soon.

Could I tell you that the webcam is bad, then?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kraai posted:

I've done that as part of my paring down the videos to be more relevant to the gameplay and commentary. It is a good song and the band are nice guys, but I feel that it really detracts from the video as a whole.

ur a dumb-dumb

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
regdate is everything

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Episode 1 - Hell Yeah! Any better in terms of audio?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kraai posted:

for someone reg'd in 2007 you'd think they'd be able to figure out that a post signed with a face emoticon is perhaps not the most sincere thing in the world

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Killrrhubarb posted:

Episode 1 - Hell Yeah! Any better in terms of audio?

To be honest, not really. Did you need help finding a better mic?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Rush_shirt posted:

To be honest, not really. Did you need help finding a better mic?

not really, I'll pick up one this week. I've had a look at mics the Tech Support Fort recommends, so I'll pick up one of those. I'm just confused as to why my audio can sound way better in my Rocketbirds LP: Shameless Plug while using the exact same mic.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Have you put any effects/compressors/etc. on the audio for Hell Yeah?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

frozentreasure posted:

Have you put any effects/compressors/etc. on the audio for Hell Yeah?

All I did was run a noise removal, and change the gain on Hell Yeah so it wasn't louder than my voice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Killrrhubarb posted:

All I did was run a noise removal, and change the gain on Hell Yeah so it wasn't louder than my voice.

Try running a compressor on your voice then, that'll probably help your audio levels.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Killrrhubarb posted:

Just for reference, did you run noise removal correctly? Because you need to select a portion of the commentary track where you aren't talking and hit "Get Noise Profile" before it'll run correctly. Not everybody realizes that.

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Could I tell you that the webcam is bad, then?

It has been noted and considered, thanks.

RE: Regdate. Is this like reddit Karma or something? If so, then I own.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kraai posted:

RE: Regdate. Is this like reddit Karma or something? If so, then I own.

it's an arbitrary number that some people make fun of.

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

So its exactly like reddit karma. Is there a way to not display my reg date? It seems to be causing issues.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
:regd07:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i propose a strict hierarchical system based on reg date

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

A 2007 would say that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

A 2007 would say that.

:regd06:

Why did they stop making reg year smilies anyway?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I propose we just shut down the sandcastle and relegate banish all serious discussion to the Imp Zone because it's clear that the posters that frequent this thread are never going to agree on anything and people aren't even getting help or feedback anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kraai posted:

Whether or not you disagree with someone's tone does not make their criticism any less valid. Obviously calling someone a shitnugget after your critique of them doesn't make you any friends, but it also doesn't make you wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

bathroomrage posted:

I propose we just shut down the sandcastle and relegate banish all serious discussion to the Imp Zone because it's clear that the posters that frequent this thread are never going to agree on anything and people aren't even getting help or feedback anymore.

Three people got feedback on this very page despite the regdate silliness. Granted, Istvun just got a simple thumbs up, but Killrrhubarb got audio advice and Kraai got a crash course in Stuff What Some Don't Like(TM). Learning all around.

The Sandcastle is basically a really old car. It may not look pretty anymore and sometimes it makes noises like a dying goose, but it still gets you from A to B. Maybe it'll break down some day despite all the maintenance, but today ain't it.

• Locked thread