Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I think it would be cool if people discussed things like regular people and not like try-hard ironic shitposters, because that environment is not very conducive to critique/improvement/satisfying discussion/general enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we need a Let's Play Police State with extremely low tolerance for shitposting if it's actual discussion we're aiming for.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Kraai posted:

RE: Regdate. Is this like reddit Karma or something?

It is codified seniority except no one seems to respect mine, which is messed up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VoidBurger posted:

I think it would be cool if people discussed things like regular people and not like try-hard ironic shitposters, because that environment is not very conducive to critique/improvement/satisfying discussion/general enjoyment.

define "regular people"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

VoidBurger posted:

It was a scarecam video with poor audio where the guy seemed flat out uninterested in changing anything after we told him we didn't like the way he produced his video. I'm not sure where else you would have liked it to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was a scarecam video with poor audio where the guy seemed flat out uninterested in changing anything after we told him we didn't like the way he produced his video. I'm not sure where else you would have liked it to go.

Probably less 'welp, Sandcastle had a good run le's put 'er down like ol' Lassie behind the shed' conversations making their rounds.

'What are you bringing to the table?' Finally died out so it'd be great to kill that annoying wart too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'd rather people be able to be a bit sarcastic now and then, than have this subforum turn into a big hugbox. It's not like people are any more sarcastic than other parts of the forums.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The Sandcastle gives advice for posting LPs on SA's forums. Criticism is offered in the context that it determines whether or not things are palatable to the browsers of the subforum. Since this is a comedy forum, sarcasm and vitriol are common and often encouraged.

What I'm saying is I hate facecam lps and support banning them.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

VoidBurger posted:

Stop. Please.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

I agree.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VoidBurger posted:

Please only post earnest, helpful and friendly comments here on the Something Awful comedy message boards. Sarcasm is strictly prohibited, and remember that if you have nothing nice to say, just don't say anything at all! Also everybody is right in their own way, and effort is all that matters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Help all I wanted was to watch people playing games I never signed up for this.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Slippery slope! Soon, dogs will be doing Day 1 camcorder LPs from their hugboxes that they bought with Patreon money if we have conversations in the sandcastle instead of insufferable quip-offs that last for pages and pages because someone posted a completely innocuous statement like "I think it would be cool if people discussed things like regular people and not like try-hard ironic shitposters, because that environment is not very conducive to critique/improvement/satisfying discussion/general enjoyment."

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

ChaosArgate posted:

Try running a compressor on your voice then, that'll probably help your audio levels.

I'll try that! Thanks.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just for reference, did you run noise removal correctly? Because you need to select a portion of the commentary track where you aren't talking and hit "Get Noise Profile" before it'll run correctly. Not everybody realizes that.

Yup, i did that. I feel like one BIG problem is that i've got the mic input volume at SUPER LOUD so it's picking up more background noise, so it's muffling everything to remove it, which is why I sound like I'm underwater. I'll try recording at a lower input volume.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Or we could have some sort of middle-ground where really bad stuff is made fun of but help is still given. Which is..more or less what happened, yes?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We can have both serious discussions and sarcastic shitposting. Nothing wrong with either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Hm, I could shut up and let this boring derail die out, or I could just keep retyping my dumb idea about how the forums should work for the 450th time"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Why not just ignore the shitposters and carry on your serious posting around them like they just don't exist...? :shrug:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I don't think it's too crazy that when someone posts something they want to get feedback on, the first reply is not some sort of shitpost reply. That's all I ask, as a senior and well-respected elder member of SA with a pre-9/11 regdate (the barometer of success).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I agree, and I've never seen anything different. When that poster continues to ignore our feedback, I will shitpost. If I shitpost on a new user's first LP post, please call me out on it, VoidBurger and co. Thank you for reading my terrible posting. Remember to like, subscribe, and donate to my ongoing Neopetreon.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The first reply to the liquidypoo man who wanted to know why his thread was being ignored was a shitpost. A shitpost from a man who I know is a good man, sure, but I must defend the integrity of the useful institution of the Let's Play Feedback Farm, because I've set a personal goal to stop Geop from closing one thread before I go to the archives in the sky (I'm old).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

judge reinhold posted:

The first reply to the liquidypoo man who wanted to know why his thread was being ignored was a shitpost. A shitpost from a man who I know is a good man, sure, but I must defend the integrity of the useful institution of the Let's Play Feedback Farm, because I've set a personal goal to stop Geop from closing one thread before I go to the archives in the sky (I'm old).

Mods, please rename the Sandcastle to the Feedback Farm. It is a good name. Descriptive.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Feedback Farm, where the ideas for LPs are planted and nurtured. Sometimes these ideas come to harvest, and the bounty reaped is plentiful. Other times, a blight strikes and all crops must be burnt.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Drop it. Get back on-topic.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feedback Farm is a good name for the Sand Castle, way more descriptive and I like it. Please make this happen Geop.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
How come I always miss the good stuff.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
now I see why that dude wanted to do a facecam look at the reaction its gotten

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

How do people feel about facecams if you're exceptionally handsome?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Here's a topic for discussion: What do you guys spend all your let's play money on? I completed my Skyrim LP a long time ago but nobody has come to my house with a sack of YouTube/Patreon money and now I'm confused.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

Here's a topic for discussion: What do you guys spend all your let's play money on?

Other people's Let's Plays.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Putty posted:

Here's a topic for discussion: What do you guys spend all your let's play money on? I completed my Skyrim LP a long time ago but nobody has come to my house with a sack of YouTube/Patreon money and now I'm confused.

It goes straight up my nose.

It's allergy season, saline spray flushes it out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cake Attack posted:

Why dont you show me your facecam LP and I'll tell you :wink:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
My lets play money over the years has probably totalled about... 22 dollars.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i got a bunch of steam gifts from lizard wizard once so i've probably totaled about $60. not bad for a pseudohobby.

Flarisic
Mar 14, 2015
Total Newbie to SA, but if I wanted to see 2-bit attempts at comedy or mindless posts from people who don't get the attention they seek, I would have just kept reading Youtube comments. This thread full of useless posts. After having to read the rules, I'm actually disappointed because I bet this thread was something years ago. Maybe not very much, but something better than this. Coming up with a new name for this thread is unnecessary as well, people understand the intention just fine, and if I'm wrong on that then at least agree that we don't need more criticizers in this thread, but instead, more sandcastles to be criticized.

Anyway, since what I just said lacks the relevance to this thread's topic, I'll chime in with an opinion that was asked for

Cake Attack posted:

You'll probably attract a really pathetic and desperate audience while turning away ones that feel like your face isn't important enough to block a corner of the game. In my honest opinion, it'll only help if you have another gimmick going for you, but that's if you want to be a gimmick itself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flarisic posted:

Total Newbie to SA, but if I wanted to see 2-bit attempts at comedy or mindless posts from people who don't get the attention they seek, I would have just kept reading Youtube comments. This thread full of useless posts. After having to read the rules, I'm actually disappointed because I bet this thread was something years ago. Maybe not very much, but something better than this. Coming up with a new name for this thread is unnecessary as well, people understand the intention just fine, and if I'm wrong on that then at least agree that we don't need more criticizers in this thread, but instead, more sandcastles to be criticized.

Anyway, since what I just said lacks the relevance to this thread's topic, I'll chime in with an opinion that was asked for

You'll probably attract a really pathetic and desperate audience while turning away ones that feel like your face isn't important enough to block a corner of the game. In my honest opinion, it'll only help if you have another gimmick going for you, but that's if you want to be a gimmick itself.

Whose alt is this

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
~*Repost this if you are a proud ironic shitlord who don't need no Sandcastle*~

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
its called the sandcastle cuz sometimes you need bullies to kick the crappy ones away so there's room for the big nice ones made by the kids who know what they're doing

except the bullies in this scenario are either scrawny nerds or 300 pounds north of "fat"

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
i can assure you

the sandcastle has always been trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

What is this?

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City is the third entry in the Etrian Odyssey series, which are first person dungeon crawlers inspired by games like Wizardy. These games are pretty notorious for being pretty brutal with regards to difficulty. One of the main aspects of the series is drawing your own map, which is done on the touch screen. With the exception of the Untold series, the plot is very minimalistic and none of the characters you can create have any in game backstory whatsoever. They are blank slates, and you're intended to come up with their personalities and whatnot with your imagination. There are currently eight games in the series right now. Nine with Etrian Odyssey V being announced.

Spoiler Policy

These games don't have a lot of story, but this aside from the remakes, this is probably the EO game that has the most plot. So don't spoil any of it. That goes for game mechanics and classes as well. If I haven't talked about it in an update or within the thread itself, don't talk about it. Simple. Feel free to talk about the other games, though use spoiler tags for the more spoilery stuff there.

Test Post

Other Stuff

theshim had an EO3 LP that was unfortunately abandoned. Archives are needed to view.

Test Video

Really, the main feedback I'm looking for here is the technical stuff. The commentary and actual content is just a skeleton. I won't be starting this one up just yet, but I just want to make sure everything's in order before I start working on the actual LP. I'm using a different emulator than what I used in my last LP, so I want to make sure the screenshots, gifs, and video and audio quality are good.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2015

• Locked thread