Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also why does Haruka have the last name Sawamura now?
That was her original last name wasn't it? I don't think she changed her last name over the series. Did Kazuma even officially adopt Haruka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Well well!

Policenaut posted:

I'm not 100% positive on this but machine translation of the Hachima article on these scans is claiming Kiryu's like some down and out cabbie in Fukuoka right now. Might explain the new Apollo Justice-ian wardrobe change.

But... but... the ending of 4... :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously Haruka fighting is something we always joked about happening but if it actually does that means that the world has officially gone completely bonkers.

This franchise always tries to go louder and crazier with each passing installment. After Dead Souls finally let Majima go nuts, where else were they gonna go?

Yakuza 6 New Playable Character: Bob Utsunomiya

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Armor-Piercing posted:

I really liked using Tanimura but a former baseball player should hopefully give us some awesome new heat actions.

I'd put pretty good odds on his fighting style being weapon based as a change of pace.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to say Haruka would be an interesting playable character instead of Sayama, but I thought "nah, they wouldn't make her a playable character". But here we are!

From the article linked:

quote:

Haruka has also come to Osaka, having left Okinawa to pursue her dream of becoming an idol. She lives on her own and practices singing and dancing , but it turns out the talent agency she's with has other plans.
:stare: They're going to try and make her a hostess or worse, aren't they... :cripes:

I wonder if the baseball guy is the same one that challenges Kiryu in the batting cages in 3.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 23, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It sounds like they're still being cagey over whether Haruka can actually fight or not. I really hope so, it would be incredibly lame if she only got stealth segments or something.

Also that looks nothing like Saejima to me, but maybe it's the hair.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zettace posted:

That was her original last name wasn't it? I don't think she changed her last name over the series. Did Kazuma even officially adopt Haruka?
Oh, maybe I forgot, absolutely no one calls her by her last name through any of the games. She's just "Haruka".

edit: think about this: for her to be a player character in a fight, she is going to be hit and stabbed and shot and everything, and she is going to occasionally get the poo poo kicked out of her. And her opponents aren't happy nice moegame enemies, they are criminals who want to do horrible things to people, especially women. Can you imagine this game going there? I really can't.

edit: I was surprised that they let what's her name Tanimura's buddy fight with him, even just sparring, and she's an adult. Also thinking back to when Sayama fought in 2, I don't think it was possible for her to ever get very hurt or knocked down.

edit: then there's the issue of hostess clubs and host clubs, can you imagine the audience accepting her going to either one? I can't. The game just isn't made for a female main character, much less a teenaged one, much less one who has been the damsel in distress for the last five games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 23, 2012

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I can only hope that Haruka's fighting style is just literally the same as Kiryu's and shares like 60% of his heat actions. Chances are though that it will probably just be that you can only roam around and play a ton of claw games as Haruka though. :(

Also, I totally thought Saejima was Daigo before reading in this thread otherwise, probably because of the jacket. The haircut change definitely makes it really weird.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Haruka is the star of the brand new mini-game "To Catch A Predator~!" lure out the gross men, then beat their asses and give them a stern life lesson as Kazuma, or in light of recent events, just run them over with your cab.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: think about this: for her to be a player character in a fight, she is going to be hit and stabbed and shot and everything, and she is going to occasionally get the poo poo kicked out of her. And her opponents aren't happy nice moegame enemies, they are criminals who want to do horrible things to people, especially women. Can you imagine this game going there? I really can't.
Haruka will get a pet dog and you will control it during combat while she cheers from the sideline.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Whenever she enters combat, Kiryu torpedoes out of the sky when Haruka isn't looking and ruins everyone's day.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Haruka combat is going to just all be catfights against her fellow classmates.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: then there's the issue of hostess clubs and host clubs, can you imagine the audience accepting her going to either one? I can't. The game just isn't made for a female main character, much less a teenaged one, much less one who has been the damsel in distress for the last five games.

Chances are she won't be fighting, or her segment will have some other gimmick to it, but not sending her to host clubs isn't exactly a big snag. There just won't be host/hostess clubs available to her, just like there weren't to Saejima in 4. It's not like it's the main focus of the game or anything, so who cares?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Armor-Piercing posted:

Haruka will get a pet dog and you will control it during combat while she cheers from the sideline.
Haruka will tag along with the lead character, and will toss them items periodically during fights. The quality of the items depends on how many hearts that character has on Haruka's happiness meter.

A part of me wants there to be a scene where Haruka violently foils the inevitable kidnapping attempt. Like the goons go in to grab her, and she caves their heads in with a handbag with a brick in it. Hostess Haruka jamming a three inch stiletto heel into a dude's face would also be acceptable.

Egomaniac posted:

Chances are she won't be fighting, or her segment will have some other gimmick to it, but not sending her to host clubs isn't exactly a big snag. There just won't be host/hostess clubs available to her, just like there weren't to Saejima in 4. It's not like it's the main focus of the game or anything, so who cares?
Holy poo poo, I just had an idea. What if she gets roped into joining a hostess club, but the manager is incompetent to the point that Haruka decides, "Jesus, just let me run the drat place. I helped my uncle run an orphanage, so I have plenty of experience managing whiny goofballs." Boom, hostess club management minigame.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 23, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't get what that means. Saejima didn't go into hostess clubs. Just give her a little thought bubble about not engaging in illicit things and continue on her way. Assuming she's even in the Kamurocho part.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Aw, no Tanimura? Clearly they're saving him for the cop spinoff I will hopelessly continue dreaming for. :colbert:

Also, Haruka's HEAT actions will involve Kazuma appearing in the crowd sternly staring at whoever she's fighting resulting in an instant KO.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Man, I don't get the Saijima hate that's going on with you guys. Sure his fighting was vanilla-blande, but nothing was better than using a mans face as a battering ram on a wall or lariating a man in the spine that you threw 15 feet into the air. We can only hope that at this point he suplexes Diago off the millenium tower and creates a small explosion that wipes out the city. Then, he and Majima go and celebrate by playing some baseball.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I especially enjoyed the teeth that flew from people's mouths as you clotheslined them in various flying positions.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Salsa McManus posted:

I especially enjoyed the teeth that flew from people's mouths as you clotheslined them in various flying positions.
I don't think that was teeth. I saw blood. Lots of blood. Maybe a little liquefied lung, but mostly blood.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't get what that means. Saejima didn't go into hostess clubs. Just give her a little thought bubble about not engaging in illicit things and continue on her way. Assuming she's even in the Kamurocho part.
Oh yeah, I guess I forgot. The idea of her running a hostess club is hilarious and awesome though.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I've always been interested in the Yakuza games because of their ties to the Shenmue series, and with 5 on the verge of a 'reveal', I have to wonder how hard it would be to get into the series at this point. Is there any game in particular that would be a good one to try or should I wait for the new-and-shiny 5?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RME posted:

I've always been interested in the Yakuza games because of their ties to the Shenmue series, and with 5 on the verge of a 'reveal', I have to wonder how hard it would be to get into the series at this point. Is there any game in particular that would be a good one to try or should I wait for the new-and-shiny 5?

I'd personally go with 4. It's kind of cheap now, has digests for 1 through 3 so you can get up to speed, it has more content, and it gets to the action faster than 3 does.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
How did Dead Souls turn out? I was going to wait to hear what people thought about it, but then I got distracted and forgot about it up to the point when I read the OP.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I am legit looking forward to Haruka as a main character, as long as she has learned from Kiryu how to dismantle people piece by piece with fists and feet of extreme justice.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

RME posted:

I think 2 is still the best game in the series all around. Sure, the PS3 ones are shinier, but most of the gameplay improvements they have over the original are in 2 as well and the plot really peaked with that one. If you don't have a way to play it though then I guess I'd go with 4.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Policenaut posted:

I'd personally go with 4. It's kind of cheap now,

This is true. I picked up 4 at the local Sam's Club the other day for $15.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey, check this out.

Toshihiro Nagoshi posted:

Getting tired of that old Yakuza look? Yakuza of the End may be the last you see of it. In an interview with Famitsu this week, Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi revealed that Yakuza 5 uses a new engine.

Nagoshi explained that the zombie-themed Yakuza Of the End represented an end for the series and everything that the Yakuza development staff had built to that point, including the engine. Yakuza 5 could even have been given the title "New Yakuza," said Nagoshi.

Despite the changes, it looks like many of Yakuza's familiar elements will be returning in Yakuza 5, including adventure and battle parts, and play spots around town. Regarding play elements around town, Nagoshi said to expect the greatest volume in series history.

Our first official online look at Yakuza 5 will come tomorrow.

Raften posted:

How did Dead Souls turn out? I was going to wait to hear what people thought about it, but then I got distracted and forgot about it up to the point when I read the OP.

I found Dead Souls to be pretty awful, like worst-in-the-franchise awful. The basic concept actually has some real potential, but then it gets mucked up with zombies and it was basically made to be a tech demo for Binary Domain.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Raften posted:

The shooting is a little clunky and the boss fights SUCK, but it's still a fun game and full of great stuff, like playable Majima. What really makes me sad is the same people made Binary Domain(that was the Yakuza team right? I thought I heard that) and that had excellent shooting and the best bosses I've seen in years.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

/\/\/\/\
EDIT: Yup. Although I actually found Dead Souls to be a lot more fun.

Raften posted:

I thought it was great fun, but the main series games are all definitely better. Really, what's fun about it is going into this tongue-in-cheek zombie scenario with characters you already know (and love!) intimately while knowing that it's all non-canon so anything can happen and it doesn't matter. If you're not already a Yakuza fan there's no point in playing Dead Souls because it'll just come off as a bargain shooter. It's a fanservice game.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
The most surprising thing to me about Yakuza 5 is that Kiryu finally got a new outfit. Looking forward to see what's in store for the new engine. After 5 games I'm pretty tired of Kamurocho so I'd like to see them spice it up a bit.

Raften posted:

I believe reactions are mixed but mostly negative. I liked the game but it really has its faults. It can be quite difficult which isn't helped by its clunky controls. If you're like me, you'll eventually get used to the clunkiness and then begin to enjoy it as a brand new Yakuza game, albeit with an awkward combat system. But obviously combat is a huge element of the game, so if you don't get used to it, then you will flat out hate the game. Hard to judge, but if you're a diehard fan of the series then you should at least give it a shot.

Plotwise, if you removed the zombies this could actually have been a mainline game. It has quite a few callbacks to the first couple of games and is pretty interesting tale of gang-related grudges and revenge in its own right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mechanigma posted:

Plotwise, if you removed the zombies this could actually have been a mainline game. It has quite a few callbacks to the first couple of games and is pretty interesting tale of gang-related grudges and revenge in its own right.

This is the saddest part of Dark Souls. They have such a good basic idea that they could run with in so many different directions, but they did the cash grab zombies pitch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

This is the saddest part of Dark Souls. They have such a good basic idea that they could run with in so many different directions, but they did the cash grab zombies pitch.
Stop saying Dark Souls by accident, seriously. Everyone stop it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stop saying Dark Souls by accident, seriously. Everyone stop it.

drat it, why did Sega even call it Dead Souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A little bit on hachima's blog says that Haruka ran off to Osaka to study music and dance. Is she going to dance the bad gangsters to death, Space Channel 5 style?

edit: most people posting on the blog assume Haruka part = non-combat part.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 23, 2012

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man I would almost be okay with her doing elaborate dance battle mini games Elite Beat Agents style that are treated dead seriously like in those lovely movies. Her Ultimate HEAT move is getting zombies from Dead Souls to appear and reenacting Thriller.

Oh right I haven't posted in this thread before but I got Yakuza 4 on it's recommendation (after putting it off for months because of disliking it's demo) and loved it.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Policenaut posted:

I thought it was cool that they brought back Goda and gave him a bionic arm that transforms into a gatling gun, because it was a crazy out of continuity game. But then they went and gave him all this positive character development too! I'm kind of sad that it won't stick. Maybe he'll still be around in Yakuza 5 and they can explain that Dead Souls was a mass hallucination brought about by a city-wide gas leak or something.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Well, I'm actually looking forward to having Haruka as a playable character. Wailing on dudes with tiny fists of fury sounds awesome.

Please don't gently caress this up :(

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Haruka's section will take place in a high school where she'll be the "Dragon of [high school name here]" and beat up the school's bullies.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Everything about Yakuza 5 sounds absolutely loving awesome right now.

As much as Of The Dead has been appeasing by Yakuza needs, its the main series stuff that I really enjoy. The stories may be cheesy and overdramatic, but I love seeing what's in store for my favourite stoic badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

A little bit on hachima's blog says that Haruka ran off to Osaka to study music and dance. Is she going to dance the bad gangsters to death, Space Channel 5 style?

edit: most people posting on the blog assume Haruka part = non-combat part.

Idol simulator.

• Locked thread