Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Any word if Baseball Guy's side quests will have him showing up/beating up real-life Japanese baseball players? I only know Matsui Hideki because he played for the New York Yankees for a time, but I feel like it'd be in keeping with the tone of the game to have the protagonist beat him at the batting cage.

Anyway, just got Dead Souls from Gamefly. The trophy for Ex-Hard says "true ending". Is there more plot to be gained from beating Ex-Hard? It's more tolerable than Dead Souls difficulty I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Armor-Piercing posted:

I couldn't find a video version featuring all the characters, but here's a little something from Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX [/timg]

Oh god Majima's face here is priceless :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I did it for Yakuza 4 and I had mostly fun times. Exception: gay massage game.

I hated gay massage game.

e: should probably clarify gay massage game wasn't literally gay, just ~homoerotic~ in a very typically Yakuza way.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 8, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Holy fuckmuffins yes. The only two games I haven't played! Don't be dumb about this Sega of America, this franchise is the only reason anyone likes you guys at all.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

OmegaZultan posted:

they already have the scripts and translations for those two games completely done so they have no excuse not to localize this for super cheap.

You're half right: They used to call Kiryu by his given name, and the older games call Kazama and Nishiki "Fuma" and "Nishikiyama" respectively, which could confuse newer players used to the better localization of 4 and Dead Souks.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Policenaut posted:

Sega could be really cool and, you know, translate Yakuza 1 properly instead of putting "gently caress" in every sentence. That'd be nice. Yakuza 2 was fine.

Counterpoint: "I did feel like hitting a few balls today...I suppose yours will have to do."

Also the part where Kiryu tells a hostess that he'll gently caress anything with 2 legs.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I picked up Way of the Samurai 4, but it's really nothing like Kenzan. The sense of jumping into a Yakuza-style battle and immediately being as awesome as Musashi is totally absent, of course I suck at reading so I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing but Kenzan would let you get away with that and still destroy everything.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Coughing Hobo posted:

Why would you expect WotS4 to be like Kenzan?

I saw samurai and I just assumed it would be similar. Ignore me I'm an idiot.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kalsco posted:

Finally decided to get into the Yakuza series, so I bought Yakuza 3 today. I've already watched the two catch-up videos (in addition to the LP of 1 Jamesman did ages ago, as well as Egomaniac's Kenzan LP) so I've got as much of a grasp of the characters and story dynamics as I would imagine I could get short of actually playing the original two games. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I get into #3?

This is exactly how I did it, and IMO the most important thing on a first play through is to have fun. Complete whatever side quests you want and do story whenever you feel like it, and don't worry about 100% because you can do anything you miss in Premium Adventure when you're done.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So now we have D2, Idolmaster, Crazy Taxi, whatever crazy baseball franchise Sega publishes, and I forget what Akiyama is supposed to b doing, in addition to the robust man-beating sim. If only Sega published other games this good I might pre-order (instead of just buying it day one at GameStop, of course).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Gaz-L posted:

Now on to Dead Souls, and more of Akiyama being smooth as ice. :cool:

I'm a huge Yakuza freak and I too felt compelled to play Dead Souls, but definitely do so on an easier setting.

Don't do the mini games, or any of the optional stuff besides weapon crafting, side stories and maybe Amon. Also, the optional quests you have to do to reach Amon are randomly generated grinds and some equipment only drops there. You get a pretty silly weapon for beating Amon though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Technically it always was, Yakuza was 2005. Maybe they were focusing more on the bleeding and bruising facial animations as opposed to how the dude feels about you ruining his modeling career.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I am literally ok with paying $60 every year for more of the same, as long as "the same" never ceases to be amazing, hilarious, and jam-packed full of content.

See, unlike the yearly installments of Call of Duty which is six hours of story-based manshoot and a online component that lasts four months, Yakuza never ceases to amaze with the amount of polish and effort that goes into things other than the intricate simulation of utterly ruining the future modeling career of hundreds of underworld mooks. The loving fishing minigame in 4 is better than whatever Cabela's crap is out now, not least because it occasionally provides rewards for the 'punch many faces' part.

Even the zombie shooter spinoff Dead Souls barely took itself seriously, and certainly didn't expect the audience to. I still love that stupid game, loving Majima having the time of his life in Kamurocho's zombie season. also, allergy season apparently

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Additionally, CoD has to compete with Battlefield, Medal of Honor, every lovely shovelware military FPS/TPS on the market. The only thing like Yakuza is Yakuza, and maybe Sleeping Dogs.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

mikeycp posted:

It's even harder in real life...I've never won anything from that one.
To be fair, your "piss away at Club Sega" income in real life is limited as you can't just go to Vegas with Zero Jewels and Royal Jokers. That's not how you win at gambling IRL.

(You shoulda bought 10 Luck when you were born.)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

rupturefunk posted:

If spending all your hard earned cash on a handbag for a hostess that she doesn't end up liking isn't one of gaming's finest moments then I'm going to take up fishing instead.
In the game, I should hope.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
pre:

CONTROL
Kamuro Air 893, hazard on the runway, pull up! Kiryu, you've got to save them!

CUT to TOP OF CONTROL TOWER, with KIRYU in a hang glider.

KIRYU
On it.

KIRYU jumps off the tower and performs a glide kick that makes Batman look like a
Buzz Lightyear in the first Toy Story into the plane, knocking it out of the hazard's path.
As he's falling 100 feet to the ground, the emergency door is kicked open and MAJIMA jumps out with a bungee cord, catching KIRYU inches from the ground.

KIRYU
I always knew you'd be the one to take the fall for me.

MAJIMA
Don't flatter yourself, Kazzy, our love can never be.

FADE TO BLACK.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm sure it would be treated with the same legendary utter lack of respect that the franchise has always had for homosexual men.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Personally, Jamesman's LP of the first game, ridiculous English dub and all, was what got me into the series. I went out and picked up 3 and watched its recap videos of 1 and 2. The problem is that 2 is considered to have the best story in the series...so you could wait for the HD collection if you're feeling crazy patient.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Use the Japanese dub like with every other game. Problem solved. Plus, the scalpers on eBay get to keep selling the Mark Hamill's Yakuza edition at ridiculous prices.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I don't even remember how I beat Kiryu, I had to continue a couple times but I didn't get too frustrated, mainly because well it's loving Kiryu how did you think this was gonna go down.

I second the poster who said that you can't out-punch Kiryu though. Grabs are probably better. Remember how much trouble Kiryu has with the big grab-happy sumo guys? You are the big grab-happy sumo guy.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Dead Souls takes place after 4 narratively, not that it really matters since Saejima and Tanimura are only briefly referenced. And most of its story callbacks are from 2.

Play the other games sequentially though; slog through 1 so you can enjoy the combat improvements in 2 and 3.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I wish they would at least localize a PSP game that was any good, like the Persona 2: Eternal Punishment remake.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Oh god don't toy with my heart Sega :ohdear:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Well, Binary Domain was made afterwards; Dead Souls is really sort of a trial run for that game and it shows.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Literally everything I know about the Bakumatsu period comes from the Shinobi chapter in Live a Live. Early 19th century, right? I think I broke Sakamoto out of prison. He was a pretty cool dude then, especially when he helped me take out Musashi's berserk ghost resurrected by a demon lord.

E: after TGS and whatever news occurs there I might spring for a new thread, if Policenaut is ok with it. I'm hoping to bring new people to the series so they buy more copies and aren't immediately put off by how very Japanese it all is.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 21, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Jamesman posted:

The story in the Yakuza games is most of the appeal for me. The combat and wacky stuff is loving amazing, but what keeps me compelled is the story that holds it all together.

I say this as someone who has only beaten the first game and played up to chapter 5 of the second... Remind me to fix that one day. :/

Fix that one day.

Hell, fix that today :colbert:.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Jamesman posted:

I'm working on it, slowly. :smith:

I have this fantasy of a Yakuza 4 LP where you, Egomaniac, and Geop each play through one of the chapters. I don't know who gets Tanimura yet. Probably Proton Jon.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Every time Samurai Sanders posts about how much fun he's having over in Nippon with his copies that don't have to be localized, translated or imported, I shed a single tear, and I wish it was the manly, burning spirit kind.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't live in Japan anymore, haven't for years.

Sorry dude, I thought I saw you post once about having done so. I'd be jealous if not for the fact that the only reason for a fair-skinned Gaijin to go there is for the games, and I don't speak a lick of Japanese.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
You think anyone from Sony TPP reads this thread? We should probably make ourselves useful and brainstorm something that would actually help those dudes, like finding a localized title for English ISHIN. I feel like anyone who knows the series will get the game anyway, so maybe put the franchise in the subtitle:

Shinsenigumi: Restoration of the Yakuza

Which is not only a faithful translation but a slick meta reference to how long we've waited. Plus then they have no choice but to bundle it with Ronin: Arrival of the Yakuza

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Random Stranger posted:

Dawn of the Yakuza is a bit more poetic.

Ooooo much more better

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cyra posted:

Sony, if you're reading this: Announcing a localization of any Yakuza game will cause me to buy a PS4. Yes, even if it's Yakuza 5.

I'd take loving Black Panther at this point.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Holy poo poo that's Akiyama back there on the left! And Goda in front of him! Curse your rotten name, SEGA of America.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Samurai Sanders posted:

The end of the game for him is literally his favorite prostitute calling him and saying "Good job! Come by for your reward, a free 45 minutes, no condom, anything you want!" and he is like "Woo hoo!"

I haven't played 5, so maybe I'm supposed to be more creeped out by this. I feel like I should be on some intellectual level. But having been hardened by years of exposure to the internet I can't help but feel like Shinada is the gooniest Yakuza hero, in a harmless, adorable way. Like, he's spent his whole post-baseball career failing spectacularly to hit on women, leading him to study under Kiryu in the ways of manhood, and eventually rear end-kicking. So he goes from being this dork straight out of a 90s sitcom to Action Baseball Star. It's like if Travis Touchdown had a character arc or actual positive traits that redeemed him as a human being.

fake e: eagerly waiting the collision of both series in Ryu ga Otaku

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Why was the theory that the division specifically set up produce and publish niche games for digital/budget release intended to do so for 5 a dumb one?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
On a related note, I don't know if you can buy it anywhere but there's compilation album of the karaoke songs from 3 and 4 called Song of the Dragon :3:

God dammit now I want to play 4 again. Why the gently caress can't Sony release the insane obscure games I really want on the PSN? It's almost like they want me to support Gamefly or whatever.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Look just let me spend hours and millions of yen at the UFO catcher going after stupid Jack Frost dolls already SEGA

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Where is the TPP website/blog/whatever? I want to be first to know when its list of lovely VNs are announced instead of face punching/Sakamoto/tactical anime WW2 sims.

Also, I'm playing Ryoma Sakamoto by way of ISHIN! in a bizarre D&D game in TG. Is there a list of badass Kiryu quotes I can refer to? I'm a fan of the line that's usually translated as "Come and face me if you wish to die!" but was localized in 1 as "Step the gently caress up, it's time to die!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Policenaut posted:

KENZAN!, ISHIN!, and the standard Yakuza games (sans Dead Souls) are all part of the same canon.

So I assume either Kiryu has the craziest luck with ancestors and their friends ever, or they're stuck in some kind of SIREN-esque time loop.

If I'm remembering things right, this implies that Musashi's love interest in KENZAN/Arrival is Kiryu's maternal great-great-great-great-great and so on and so forth grandma, which would mean that (Arrival early game spoilers) he and Majima are pretty much cousins, which explains a lot about their relationship.

• Locked thread