Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Aw man, no Masayoshi? He was my favourite new character due to this unique fighting style. I'm still pretty hyped about Yakuza 5 though. I hope they tweak Akiyama a bit more since he has the most boring fighting style out of all the new the characters in Yakuza 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also why does Haruka have the last name Sawamura now?
That was her original last name wasn't it? I don't think she changed her last name over the series. Did Kazuma even officially adopt Haruka?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Haruka's section will take place in a high school where she'll be the "Dragon of [high school name here]" and beat up the school's bullies.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Static Rook posted:

I have an Android phone. There's a couple lovely free mahjong apps but nothing good. I'm pretty much reduced to playing those creepy arcade mahjong MAME games and skipping the HAWT HAWT early 90's anime nudity.

And if Sega released a $5 souped up version of VF Pachislot on PSN I'd buy it. Yeah, that's right.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...19zb2xvbWoiXQ..

You're welcome. It's in Japanese but if you understand the rules then it shouldn't be a problem. It's my go to mahjong app for my android phone. Also it says you have to login to play but that's a lie. I haven't even made an account yet and I can still play.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yakuza 4 uses Riichi Mahjong rules which is the main play style of Japan.

This is a good flash version if you're interested. It even has simple instructions to get you started.
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
From what I understand, localizing Yakuza games are relatively cheap due to it not having a dub. Since the last few games sold decently enough to recoup the low localization cost, Yakuza 5 will most likely be released in English.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Tonfa posted:

After the :tviv: first 3 hours in Yakuza 2 the game has ground to a screeching halt as I need to scrounge up 300k in cash and the mahjong parlor is a brick wall compared to the one in 4 :suicide:

Is there a good get rich quick scheme? I already bumped into the guy who gives you 100k if you claim broken arm.

edit: 'average' skill level my rear end why are you getting riichi so loving fast :suicide:

edit2: I get to beat them all up so hard they have tile imprints on their heads? I love you again, Yakuza 2.
If you talked to the informant guy you met earlier he starts a sub quest to get the information for free.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wasn't Shogi in Yakuza 2? I never really noticed it gone in 3 and 4 as I don't know how to play it but it seems weird that it was removed (and now being re-added).

Edit: Never mind, it was in 4. I just never noticed it.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 20, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I personally just chalked it up as Yakuza brand craziness and moved a long. Considering the stuff that has happened in the series, that wasn't that hard to swallow.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
In the Yakuza 2, weapons can only be equipped from the inventory (no quick select via the d-pad) and if I recall correctly, once a weapon is used up, it'll disappear and there's no way to repair it. Also, my memory could be fuzzy and I could be completely wrong but I remember that you'll keep random weapons you pick up in fights (pipes, baseball bats,etc). To expand, any weapon you take away from an opponent, if you finish the fight with the weapon still in your hand then you'll still be holding it in the next fight.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Yechezkel posted:

Other photos show Saejima helping yet another girl,
That girl is literally the Little Match Girl.

Yechezkel posted:

Haruka doing something with two girls with mobile phones at a restaurant booth,
The title says "Highschool life" so it's most likely a female highschool student socializing minigame. Yeah...

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 18, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, most prominent female voice actors (who also do some side idol work) usually start working while in Highschool and University. They seem to be able to do both so why not?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
High school in Japan isn't mandatory but almost everyone graduates from it now. In fact, the Japanese government is debating whether to make the High schools public and free because like in most places in the world, a high school diploma is becoming the bare minimum to get any full time position.

Edit: Wikipedia says that 94% of junior high students in 2005 entered High School. Also, education in Japan is free as of 2010.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 18, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Japanese high school isn't particular hard and it's quite hard to fail. The only hard part of Japanese high school is if you're planning to go to University then you have tons of studying to do.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Okay, I think that's enough of a derail for now. We should go back to talking about Akiyama and challenging old ladies to dance battles. Also, it seems like he's actually losing in that picture.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I really hope they don't use Yakuza 4 and Dark Soul's system of having all of the characters separated into their own chunks. I rather have a back and forth between chapters. This is especially true with Haruka's segment as I don't want to be forced to go through a few hours of her chapter without any fighting. Haruka's segment looks interesting but I don't want to be playing her segment for more than an hour or two at a time.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The HD versions look the same as if run on an emulator. A lot of PS2 games look great if you render at a higher resolution than native.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I think the pliers easily wins the "most brutal" heat move contest. In Yakuza 2, you used it to remove a tooth. In 3 and 4 it's a finger nail.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Watching that demo for 5, I'm surprised that Kazuma would even attempt to hide his identity at this point. The man has practically beat up half the population of Japan by 2010(?) and that number will only increase with every game. Hell, he's likely the real reason why the nation has a shrinking population. There are at least 2 generations of Yakuza who have some sort of scar or permanent injury thanks to Kazuma Kiryu.
Considering how many people want to pick a fight with him, no, most people do not know who Kiriyu Kazuma is.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The Taiko drum is just a remapped ps2 controller, right? If that's the case then a ps2 to ps3 controller adapter off ebay will probably work.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a trophy for buying an anime plastered car. I don't know what to say.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Karthe posted:

Ah, then yeah, my question was with respect to on-screen text. Does anyone else know if the Yakuza games come with Japanese subtitles and UI text?
No, it doesn't. However, you can try the Japanese demos for a taste of what its like to play the game in full Japanese.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Also, in Yakuza you can't attack civilians. Obviously, massacring tons of innocents is not something companies want to be associated with.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
He realized that it was a really bad idea to smoke inside the orphanage. But seriously, when he did that in Yakuza 3, I actually raised my eyebrow.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You'd be correct.

You know, I'm actually more curious about stuff like Gyakuten Saiban 1-3. Why bother with the English stuff on the cart?
They were doing the translation in-house and had it done so they decided to include it in the Japanese release.
It's not that the Yakuza team don't want to ship with English menus and stuff but it's extra work and you have to understand that they'll not go out of their way for a hand full of people. If they had the work already done for English menus already then you can assume they would have included it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You're nearing the end but your still have a few hours to go.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's worth the price of entry just for being able to play as Majima. Not to mention that you can go do some karaoke as him which is amazing.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The games come with recaps of the past games so jumping into a later game isn't a problem story wise. However like most games, jumping to an older game will make you miss the gameplay improvements the newer versions have. So it depends on how much you care about such a thing. Yakuza 2's fighting system and moving around the city feels different enough from Yakuza 3 and 4s that I think it's not that big of a problem to go back to and it won't feel as such a downgrade. Yakuza 1 is really clunky though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Does anyone remember what Tanimura's throw move is before you unlock the armbar takedown thing? Is it just a normal shoulder throw? It's been a while and the armbar takedown was one of the first moves I unlocked so I spent very little time without it so I can't remember what it was at all.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you don't have Majima's automatic shotgun already then get it. It's so drat overpowered and will tear anything, including that boss apart.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

oblomov posted:

On Sengoku Basara, it's an ok game, but it's not the best in the series and game is flowed a bit generally. Still $30 was a great price, so I am puzzled why the game bombed as hard as it did.
There was a huge backlash in them not keeping the Japanese voice acting on the PS3 version even though there was still a lot of space left on the disc. I can guess they didn't want to shell out extra cash for the licensing but their official statement was that the Wii version didn't have enough space to hold the audio and since they wanted both versions to be the same, they cut out the voice acting for both versions.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of the North American fans of the series are familiar with the Japanese voice acting either though importing the previous games or watching the anime. Not releasing a major draw for a game like that was already a handicap for that game doing well.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
In the past (as in centuries ago), it was tradition for the father to sleep together with the daughter until she became 8 years old or so. It was a big part of the father-daughter relationship. Maybe a reference to that?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Dojima acting as a plot point was good enough for me. It's a case of the person himself not being important (to the plot) but the events and people he's involved with that make him important.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
No. Japan doesn't like strong female characters so the Yakuza team sent her to a farm upstate America.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
All of the Disgaea games are really good.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It also depends on if you actually care about the story or if you're just in it to punch people's face in/ dance the into submission.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I don't know, I think a lot of the game's appeal kind of requires you to be more familiar with the Meiji Restoration than most English speakers are.
I feel like if they had advertised it as a Samurai RPG game then it would have done well. It's pretty unique game-wise and the setting should appeal to a larger market.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

El Hefe posted:

What a lovely uncle
Screw you. I did that stupid homerun thing so you would be happy. You better appreciate it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I love the aesthetic of cut scenes. They just need a bit more polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'll probably import it since even if they do announce a English release in the near future, it's still going to take at least another year for that English version to be released.

• Locked thread