Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I'm pretty much reduced to playing those creepy arcade mahjong MAME games and skipping the HAWT HAWT early 90's anime nudity.

The go-to for mahjong on the internet tends to be Tenhou. A quick google will get you a bunch of translation guides for the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zettace posted:

This is a good flash version if you're interested. It even has simple instructions to get you started.
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

To be honest, you're better off learning through Yakuza itself, since it's got an easy mode. Gamedesign's app is very good for a flash game but also unforgiving, it'll pretty much always pick the best thing to play. I did a big-rear end mahjong guide in the old thread but I don't have archives, so I can't dig it up again.

e: Very (very) basically, you're trying to make a pair and several sets of threes - three of a kind, or three in a row. Your hand is considered 'closed' unless you pick up an opponent's discarded tile - this will 'open' your hand and invalidate a lot of scoring potential.

In order to properly win, you have to have a hand that scores points. Yakuza's guide is pretty good at listing them all, though you only really need to pay attention to the first few pages. Some of these are available open, some of them are available closed. The most common way to get a valid hand is to declare 'Riichi' - if your hand is closed and you only need one more tile to complete it, press square and select the option to riichi. You won't get to pick up any more tiles other than the ones you need to win, but it'll automatically validate any hand no matter what old crap you have in it.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 18, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hahaha what in the everloving gently caress, Saejima.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Taunting the fat sumo guys seemed to be the most reliable way when I was playing it, but yeah, most enemies are very reluctant to actually attack you. Alternatively, I think failing at Virtual Fighter or the arena will leave you running around with 1 health, but they're a bit out of your way depending on where you're going.

e: vvvvv Oh, what? God drat.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't get why they figured implementing an increasingly complex crafting system beat Yakuza 2's system of picking up environment appropriate items to harm people with or save for later.

Kenzan's unarmed attacks were of very specific use, and you were kind of expected to have swords on you, what with mostly fighting other people armed with swords. To be honest, WotS4's crafting was mostly just 'pick hilt, pick blade, pick grip' and only the blade's stats really mattered in the equation, the rest was how pretty you wanted your sword to look.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poison Jam posted:

I've sampled all the ice creams which I don't know whether to be happy or sad about. Oh well time to eat all the noodles too :D

Remember, for maximum efficiency take your date out to the grill restaurant and order one of absolutely everything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Has NISA ever even released a game that isn't trash? The only thing I've played with their name attached to it was that abysmal Cross Edge game

Most of their games are very solid, you just sorta went straight to the bottom of the barrel with that one. That's an IF game, not a NISA one.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Time to grab them off Play-Asia and look up those translation guides.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Remind me, why were people mad about the hostess stuff removed from Y3? I got to the hostess maker in Y4 and it's the dullest poo poo I've seen as a minigame in any beat 'em up.

It wasn't so much the hostess stuff as a) a whole bunch of poo poo was removed, including several sidequests and another couple of minigames, b) it was removed in the most haphazard and stupid way. Like, you still went on dates with the hostesses, you just didn't have to do the whole hostess game first. Instead, they were hanging around in random Burger Kings just standing there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked how it was considered weird and bad that you meet girls in a bar or restaurant and chat with them lot to become close with them

It's not exactly great either way but the way they did it make it grade-A obvious that stuff had been cut and was super lazy. You talked to them a grand total of three times, which was apparently enough to be taking them to love hotels.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut marks up another notch on the 'ressurrected from death' counter.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Important repost in celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm trying to figure out why I have so much crap in Bob's and that goodies guy's inventories. Are those just some massive save transfer rewards?

Basically, yeah. It's also a huge bunch of DLC and store-specific rewards, all bundled into the game because they knew they'd never be able to distribute that many in the US.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Be sure to check out the sequel.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Arrite, so basically I can buy a PS3 wherever and play Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 without any rigmarole. And if I feel like buying Dead Souls, I can just blow the dust off my US PlayStation Network account.

Just bear in mind that points cards and any digital products or DLC are region locked in as much as the region has to match. If you want to buy US games you need to do it on a US account topped up with US points, and all DLC has to be bought from that same account.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zettace posted:

Making a US PSN account is easy. The hard part is payment

If you're willing to pay a slight premium, just grab US points cards from PlayAsia or whatever international retailer of choice. It's all pretty easy to do.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It tends to depend on your bank - mine is particularly twitchy and has outright denied transactions if the address isn't a spotless match.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

What does it mean when the minimap pings red sometimes?

You've just entered minimap range of your story target.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Raften posted:

Man, I really wish I didn't start on normal. Every fight is way too easy but I don't want to replay the 11 hours I already put into the game.

Hard generally just makes enemies into unfun damage sponges, especially later on. Just soak in the ambience while you wreck fools.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whoever decided to gate Shinada's training behind the loving UFO catcher machines needs to be thrown off the Yakuza 0 team.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

pick-e posted:

This goes for the "eat a food good for the eyes but I'm not telling you which food" training as well. Got tired of getting into battles to purposely lose health in order to hit up restaurants trying to find that one elusive meal.

The strawberry parfait at Cafe Alps specifically mentions the compounds he talks about in its description.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

pick-e posted:

I cleaned out that places whole menu and unless I was advancing text really fast Shinada didn't say a thing about it.

No, I mean, it's on the 'shop' description of the food. Pretty sure he should go 'right Coach's mission complete' or whatever too. You will have to eat it 'again' if you had already eaten it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Small motor is one of the rewards from Shinada's lottery.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SubG posted:

I don't know about all of the machines, but in the Aladdin ones you have to adjust the speed between normal play and when you're in a jackpot. The game actually points out where you should be trying to get the balls to land, but the only instructions it gives you are in Japanese.

I'm pretty sure if you drop to help there's a mostly translated guide to the game and where to aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

I used environment objects and his free unbreakable weapons all the time and while slightly better than his fists they still barely tickle enemies compared to everyone else's bare hands and feet.

His free weapons are incredibly bad - even the upgraded ones - and basically only there to let you grind xp so you can reach the good stuff. (And to break guards, I guess, they're good for that.)

• Locked thread