Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

titties posted:

It might have been missed before, so I'll offer it up one more time: if you're on PSN and would like a Wyrmking's Ring, add Mr_Dread and mention in the friend request that you want the ring.

Just sent you a request, in case this is still available; Creepies on PSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pawn pimping? I'm in! PSN name is Creepies, my pawn Kali is a sorc somewhere around 57. I had originally intended to swap her back to mage for healing purposes after picking up the sorc augments, but since magic can't deal with the lowered max hp type damage I decided making giant flaming rocks fall on everything was more important. Related, is there any way to use the personality alteration stuff to make her less likely to cancel casts when a phantasm hovers vaguely nearby? It's her greatest failing.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have no idea how anyone plays as anything but Strider. I have this persistent feeling that I should at least be leveling as an Assassin or Ranger or something, but they don't have Mad Dash or Leaping Stone or Skull Splitter. When I decide I want to move fast as an Assassin, I have to hold still for an entire five seconds first. It's horrifying. I don't think Ranger has any zoomy options at all. Am I ever going to come across, like, boots that increase my run speed or something? Assassin stat growth would be so nice, but I have been far too spoiled to deal with normal running speed.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I think that means one of the carrion feeders is showing up, and yeah based on experience so far they are rear end kickers. I called off my first expedition when the super-ogre showed up and declined to take any damage from being stabbed in the face fifty times.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Chard posted:

What I really need help with is choosing Augmentations and figuring out how to get them. My basic strategy is just climb it until it dies, since many enemies are pretty clueless about that, so what should I be going for here? I re-read the OP and it was helpful but I still need some guidance.

This is probably a couple of days late to be helpful but it sounds like you're after basically the same strategy I've been using so I will write some words about it and also things I kind of wish I had known when I started.

First off, I think Sinew (rank 5 fighter augment) is a mandatory quality of life thing. If you disagree you can skip fighter entirely. Warrior is worth taking to 9 for Proficiency and Clout. If you are an obsessive completionist sort, you'll also need to take one of the staff using classes to rank 2 for Levitate. My understanding is that vocation rank is totally divorced from normal experience/level gain, so I think that if you put these off until you're level 50-60ish you can get to the augments you want with less impact on your stat growth than if you start work on them early. On the other hand, that means you'll have to wait longer to get Sinew, which would drive me insane - so I think I'd advocate Strider until level 10, then Fighter to rank 5, then Assassin until you start to feel like 25% less stamina use would be really helpful. Then get around to the Warrior stuff.

Every other worthwhile ability is either Strider or Assassin. I consider Arm-Strength and Leg-Strength both mandatory, but I also think Strider is the best class so of course I'd advocate maxing it anyway. I don't use any of the Assassin augments normally, but it's good to have access to Bloodlust for special occasions. Opportunism from BBI is the other one I use; it's the thing Shima Honnou mentioned that increases strength while you're climbing on something. If you start on hard, you shouldn't really have any money problems ever; I stuck with it until a little past the hydra, and have bought one of pretty much every piece of equipment I can wear as well as enhancing everything I wear at the earliest opportunity. I almost ran low on money once, then I took all the gold weapons out of my vault to sell and suddenly I had over a million gold. Smooth sailing since then.

If you can make yourself stick with Assassin it clearly has superior stat growth, but you owe it to yourself to try running around with Hundred Kisses/Cutting Wind/Mad Dash and Hundred Kisses/Skull Splitter/Leaping Stone for a little while. Gale Harness just isn't an adequate replacement at all. I am confident that you will enjoy climbing on things and stabbing them in the face either way; I'm certainly still not tired of it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I had originally planned to have my pawn swap back to Mage after picking up the sorcerer augments. I missed having giant flaming rocks start falling on the enemy a few seconds after dashing into melee and decided I'd rather heal using items anyway. I love my sorcerer pawn.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Get and try out stuff like High Maelstrom. Watch as the world bows down to you with only a few exceptions. One of my hireling pawns used that on the loving Dragon and took away ALL of his HP before I did anything more than open his chest up. It also regularly destroys high level large monsters like post-game beasts and BBI monsters, it's insane. The only downside is you can't see through the dust storm at all so navigating anywhere close to it is a nightmare, especially if whatever you're fighting isn't stunlocked by it right away.

I finally got around to finishing off the Dragon the other night and I was seriously worried my pawn would kill him before I had time to finish looting the area. Sorcerers are silly. Also, the solution to High Maelstrom visibility issues is to be climbing whatever it is so you don't need to see it to hit it.

Try hiring one with High Fulmination (I suggest mine for totally unselfish reasons unrelated to rift crystals) sometime; it doesn't do quite as much damage, but I think it's my favorite spell in the game design and visual-wise.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You'd be getting your face kicked in now and then on normal at mid 60s. I don't even want to think about how hard the necrophages must hit on hard.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Second trip through BBI is the most fun I have had in forever, holy poo poo. It seems like my Rancid Bait Meat has stopped working, though; Tower of Treasons Repaid: First Floor got me a cursed dragon every time before I'd finished the place once, and now neither it nor any of the other rooms I've tried are turning up anything. Am I just getting unlucky, or should I stop wasting the stuff? I would really like to get some new stuff dragon forged and this was by far the most reliable way I'd found to do it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I guess he'll do, but three kills/bait was definitely speedier than having to leave and rest between fights. How long does the Bishop take to respawn?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I discovered the Barroch-region spawn last night and it seems to be just as reliable as the Tower of Treasons Repaid was before I cleared the place the first time. Much quicker than the Bishop.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I can get three every time, and I suspect I could get a reliable four if I used consumables or stopped being dumb about my initial grapple spots. Since bait is cheap and I just use them for dragonforging stuff, it hasn't seemed worth it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You people obviously don't spend enough time climbing on monsters and stabbing them in the face, you're supposed to ride that ogre to the bottom and then have no idea which way you're going when it's time to exit.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Perfect blocking sounds cool i guess ill try that out. Wish the game would have even hinted at it's existence if it's a core game mechanic

It's not, none of the cool classes use shields. Strider supremacy etc.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It is the exact opposite of critical.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked 9 million times, but I just got the game, and what is more fun to play-- strider or magic archer?

Magic Archer gets a lot of love in this thread (and lighting yourself on fire is pretty cool), but for my money nothing in the game is more fun than strider.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Genocyber posted:

As fun as Implicate is, Strider doesn't really have anything else going for it, imo.

Leaping Stone -> Skull Splitter :colbert:
Also Mad Dash is the best ability when you're running through BBI and can't be bothered to stop and murder small stuff. But mostly it's about jumping really high, I admit.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Some combination of incompetence and a desire for naked fantasy minions. The ratio varies from pawn to pawn.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Looking for opinions on BBI-only runs. Has there been anything novel and interesting about the experience, or are you just spamming consumables at everything to make any progress?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

No, but you'll always know in your heart that you could have murdered that little tiny bit faster.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Better jump in and find out.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yes. BBI is the best part of the game by far.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yes. Do BBI now unless you want to do it in NG+ (which isn't a serious ordeal, it will be open to you right from the start).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

If you're speedrunning you don't have any reason to set foot in the Witchwood, though. I'd probably try leaving it at the far exit from the catacombs to save on travel when you have to head to toasty mountain.

• Locked thread