Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

What's the hands-on combat feel like?

So far as RPGs of this style go, I'm coming fresh out of Dark Souls, and I am in love with the solid, paced, satisfyingly balance combat controls that game had.

Difficulty aside (I assume this game is far more forgiving), how does that comparison in terms of mechanics and input measure up?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Iiiit kind of isn't. It doesn't obfuscate basic gameplay concepts like Demon's Souls did, but the difficulty curve is PUNISHING.

After a brief introductory sequence which gives you a chance to experiment with some very basic mechanics (but doesn't explain them much) you're thrown in the world. You get some basic quests and what seems like the plot hook to progress the main story further.

So of course you start doing the side quests. That's what you do in an RPG, right? Well, then you loving DIE. HORRIBLY. OVER AND OVER! Because the quests are hard! Like really hard!

OK that didn't work, so you go exploring in the world. Kill some goblins, have a tough fight with some wolves. Then you take a wrong turn in the goblin-filled meadows and a loving griffin (or something equally big) turns up and loving MURDERS YOUR rear end. Guess you shouldn't have been where you were!

So I'd say this game really scratches the same kind of itch (at least for me) as Demon's Souls did. You get a wonderfully dark and dangerous world where you have to sink or swim, and you'll probably sink an awful lot before you learn to slowly doggy peddle around, but when you do, it's a wonderful feeling.

Oh, drat, that's actually a good thing. :buddy: If the difficulty curve is there, and around as well-tuned as the ones in the Souls games, that rewards trial and error as opposed to just grinding your rear end off so you can cheese your way through content, I'm actually interested in this.

Honestly: If a video game shows me a monster, and the first thing I consider is how many horrible ways something like that can kill me, and not how much XP it's worth or whether it has any nice loot, then it's a loving good game.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 22, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, the worst thing I've heard about this game is that there's a lot of really tedious backtracking.

How bad is it? In a game like Dark Souls, the backtracking is actually a part of the gameplay pacing, and despite being open world, still has distinctive (if sometimes obscure) routes that you're funneled along, with specific obstacles that must be dealt with each time (arguably, said obstacles, and the necessity of carefully overcoming them, actually being one of the biggest hooks in terms of gameplay).

If Dragon's Dogma is more in the vein of an Elder Scrolls, with big open wilderness and such, is the lack of a quick-travel function something that only brings tedium and needless padding, or does it actually feel somewhat natural and deliberate?

• Locked thread