Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
4 and a half hours until gamestop opens... I'm glad that this is the release date, because yesterday was my birthday, which means birthday money. Too bad I can't play all day tomorrow because i told my father i will help him install and AC unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

It really breaks up the gameplay unnecessarily. "My lord! Grab hold! I shall send you to the beast!" [Gameplay pauses and camera swoops over to focus on pawn's clasped hands]

Oh man, that was my only complaint from playing the demo. I'm glad you can turn it off.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The female bandit leader is my waifu, she fell for me when I gifted her 100 skulls one at a time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So you took a risky decision and instead of being able to save scum out of any repercussions, you are punished for poor decisions. Sounds like the save system works well to me.

In other news, anyone know what's up with the dragon from neverending story in the magazine pictures?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ogres run away when they know they're losing. And the AI has lovely pathing when ledges are involved. I remember barely surviving by last minute jumping off a cyclops in the dark cavern/valley thing in the base game when the bastard walked off the ledge. Thank you double jump.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I will say Magic Archer made the final fight trivial though, which made the ending somewhat less climactic. Rest of the game though, owned bowns. Especially the giant light at night.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

That's kind of what I thought. I like MKs and have messed with them a bit but I've always been terrible at perfect blocks.

What's worth noting is that the damage that the orbs do is based on the damage of the attack it recieves. As you see in the video, he doe way more damage when he hits the sword once than he does with the full counter spam combo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lexorin posted:

It's the pips below the health bar that matter. The counter spam combo is taking off multiple pips of life. The normal sword swing orbs are only taking off partial health from a single pip of life. It really does do an idiotic amount of damage.

I just rewatched the video and you are incorrect/correct. His sword hitting the orbs does way more damage than the counter. However, at the moment where the framerate goes to poo poo, he's getting off like 4 or 5 counters in a row which adds up to tons of free damage. But for the rest of the fight, most dps is from him smacking the orbs.

Also seconding that i miss this game. Especially mystic archer, I went through playing at night once to try out the giant ball of light and it was great rolling through the woods getting ambushed and replying with a miniature sun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

every loving quest i'm on wants me to kill goddamn ogres and my pawns and dumb assholes and i can't loving move around in this stupid mine gently caress ogres

Try explosive barrels.

There's one ogre that's crouched next to three, and i threw one more at him and it instantly killed him. I died too though and couldn't recreate the effect sadly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I loved the deep voice on little pawns in full plate armor.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I gave the bandit lady a few hundred skulls so she would be my lover. But then i moved away from the ps3 and never got to see my handiwork.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
That's awesome.

"You may be immune to twelve kinds of poison, but are you up to date on your tetanus shots?" :getin:

Also, if you want to give fighter another shot, I'd suggest equiping that weird up slash ability just to wreck harpies days.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ranger is the only class I've yet to really play. So I'll probably go for that. Will romance the female bandit leader.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

if I could, I'd romance a goblin

that poo poo would be funny

If there is any modding, this will happen. At worst it's a simple model swap.

Actually, swap all humans and goblins. Completely change the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Night10194 posted:

My first fight with the drake you run into near the fort literally took all night and all day in-game before I slew it.

It was one of the best vidjagame fights I've had.

Yeah the Drake is a really awesome fight. Especially with the occasional goblin getting murdered as collateral damage.

If you guys want to know futility, try fighting the steel golem by the witch, as a magical archer, with one ranged pawn that's never fought one before. Just the one in the tree took 20 minutes.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Toggling the lantern is really the best news I've heard about this game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Its also worth noting that the Mystic Knight has the unforgivable sin of holding his shield on his back inexplicably and whipping it out at mach 10 speed.

How do you think he damages enemies with a perfect block?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Didn't the Q&A guy already say you could import saves from consoles? Like not through an official app, but the save files should work? It just might mess with renting out your pawn.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Max fighter, max strider, try warrior.
If you like Warrior, max it.
After that or if you don't like warrior, play assassin.

That will get you the best augments and extremely good/solid stats.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

This is a good post.

Dragon's Dogma is a weird sort of game that resonates especially well with a particularly passionate (but mostly quiet) fandom.

The thing that really made the game click for me is how reactive the game is. Not in a tired YOUR CHOICES MATTER marketing way, but in the little ways you can dick around with your character, NPCs, monsters, and objects in the game. Just something as simple being able to pick up and throw objects and/or people is part of how DD sort of feels like a game, as in a toy you play with, tinker with, and gently caress about with. It's ~emergent gameplay~ is just charmingly different from other open world games. When a pawn jumped on an ogre and sent them both plummeting to the bottom floor of a dungeon, I knew I was playing something special.

Add to this the great music, the accidental charm of the East-Meets-West aesthetic, the hundreds of ways you can dress up and customize your character, the number of different classes, the flashy action combat, hiring random internet pawns and sending them back to their owners with lovely items if they're bad, collecting items like HARD BONE... it all just makes a really unique, fun package that's unexpectedly great while also being sorta janky.

I think you hit the nail on the head. DD is amazing because it's very much a game, and tries very little to be anything else.
No "meaningful" plot.
No "innovative design"
None of that buzzword bullshit that fills modern game design.

The game starts with a deus ex machina, gives you a tiny tutorial, then lets you fly into free.

Imho when someone says "spectacle fighter" I think of DD. DMC is to me a technical fighter with a high skill cap and lots of focus on the combat from the input side of things. DD is pretty simple and 100% about output. It takes three buttons to set yourself on fire and jump on a Griffin to set it on fire. It takes one button to send a meteor shower down upon hapless goblins. And god drat does it look/feel rad.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Can't you just give someone the arisen's bond and make sure to do it right before you fight the dragon to guarantee it will pick them

Why would i do that when i can truly express my love for Ophis by giving her 99 skulls from my fallen enemies?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
That sounds like something tech goons could help with in IYG. I really hope so because I want you to fly into free friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think I'm going to install iTunes just to purchase into free. Would I be able to download and keep the media file, or will it only play through itunes?

• Locked thread