Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Bought the game on a whim tonight, played for about 4 hours, liking it a lot more than I thought I would. Went mage, enjoying the heck out of blasting things. Haven't found it to be too difficult so far, I'm level 15 and the only time I've died was in Everfall. I'm rolling with a tank pawn and one hired hand. My only problem is that I'm burdened, wearing cloth and rags puts me at half endurance... there goes my pack-rat tendencies!

My main pawn is a big bruiser named Tusk. He's dumb but he gets the job done. Show him some love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Aww, my pawn Tusk has no rating, so for 31 levels he's never actually been hired? Poor lunkhead, I thought he was being useful.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wolves! THEY HUNT IN PACKS!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Saw Ur-Dragon for the first time, he appeared, taunted me, and then flew away within 5 seconds. I didn't even get to do anything :/

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Took my time and finally finished the game. Good times, but I don't think I have it in me to play it any more (although I did max out 6 professions). I feel like the only thing it really needs is content, I think all the game mechanics work pretty well as they are. Feels like there's enough weaponry to me, what feels lacking is critter types. I do appreciate that within a critter type there can be a lot of variation (like goblins, bandits) but with a bunch more monster types, and a lot more area to explore would be a huge boon to the game. Doesn't even have to be questing areas, just areas that are there like the southwest area, for exploration.
More areas, more critters, and partial randomization of spawns.

Oh, also a bit more difficulty, or at least make a lot of higher monster types more difficult. It felt a bit too much like 1. Nice challenge -> 2. Enough to take on tough guys -> 3. Defeat everything easily, with 1-3 happening way too quickly, and even with only one pawn.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Added myself to the list, pawn is Saruman, a level 35ish or so Mage/Sorc. I keep him as a buffer/healer/nuker, Scather/Utilitarian.
His skillset may vary slightly depending on what I'm doing at the moment, but his augments are set and he is of course dressed as a white wizard.

Haven't made it to BBI yet, I restarted the game right before I shelved it and now that DA is out I'm working my way back up to 50 or so again. I notice they haven't changed the awful Ambrosial Steak drop rate :p

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Does metamorphosis allow you to change your pawn's name?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I thought mages were done great in this game, in single-player games you usually never get to play the "I need to stand back and not get hit while I channel up a world of pain" types. They gave a great assortment of spells to use too.

I think the only thing I'd change would be warriors, and they need some sort of weapon throw, like an axe boomerang. So they're not completely useless in certain situations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Half of those points I would actually consider positives. Unknown exploration is good!

This is not a DMC-style game. It's an action RPG. There's a lot of running, yes, but this also makes resources important when you're making one of those trips out to the middle of nowhere.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Dante's Dogma 2: Cry Harder

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm trying to think of what could be behind a paywall without messing up the game, and I can only think of two things:
Character classes, and zones/dungeons. Possibly some sort of premium pawns, but I doubt it.

Maybe they can sell towels which will make your pawns shut up about being wet.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
This game did two things very right, which few games have been able to mirror.

1. The correct feel of live party combat. It captures the chaos and strategy of it so well. All things considered the AI does pretty well.

2. Scoff all you want, but sorcerers rule. I like playing mages in fantasy games and it feels right here- stand back, give me a few seconds, and I'll light up that battlefield. They got the feeling right with the major spells- meteors, tornados, etc. Magic feels good, man.

I had hoped this game would catch on like Souls did, I would love to see a sequel. Although, I guess there technically IS a sequel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
More games need to let you pick up your friends and throw them off a cliff, dashing them onto the rocks below.

• Locked thread