Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hitchhiking also works pretty well in Japan if you're a real cheap gently caress. Depending on how well you do it's about the same time to Kyoto, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you're taking an overnight bus to save money you shouldn't even be traveling, just go home

It's to save time, not money, dumbass.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Instead of wasting your time sleeping in a bed, you can spend your sleep travelling on a bus.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Any good restaurants serve free ice in Tokyo?

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 26, 2015

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's to save time, not money, dumbass.

It doesn't work like that though, your entire next day is ruined because you slept like poo poo the night before. Because you were on an overnight bus.

Who wants to arrive in Kyoto at 7:45am feeling like rear end when you could arrive at 10:15 bright eyed and bushy tailed

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Apologies for the derail I just can't sleep on busses. If you want to overnight it more power to you all!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It doesn't work like that though, your entire next day is ruined because you slept like poo poo the night before. Because you were on an overnight bus.

Who wants to arrive in Kyoto at 7:45am feeling like rear end when you could arrive at 10:15 bright eyed and bushy tailed

Me, because I'm powerful.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Better man than me, bro. :cheers:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Haven't tried one myself but there are apparently overnight buses with cabins and lay flat chairs. Price is comparable to the Shinkansen, maybe a bit cheaper IIRC.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haven't tried one myself but there are apparently overnight buses with cabins and lay flat chairs. Price is comparable to the Shinkansen, maybe a bit cheaper IIRC.

Tokyo to Kyoto on a Nozomi is 138 mins (according to Hyperdia) and would run you 13.000 yen (unreserved seat, add another 1000 for a reserved seat). Catch a 6:30am train from Tokyo, arrive in Kyoto at a little after 9am.

I am really confused as to who the target audience is for a service that costs you as much, but takes you way longer.

EDIT: I guess it saves you the cost of a night's stay in a hotel if you don't have/feel like arranging for a place to crash, but you still want to be in the other place in the morning. Still odd to me.

Church Ladyboy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 26, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jossos posted:

Tokyo to Kyoto on a Nozomi is 138 mins (according to Hyperdia) and would run you 13.000 yen (unreserved seat, add another 1000 for a reserved seat). Catch a 6:30am train from Tokyo, arrive in Kyoto at a little after 9am.

I am really confused as to who the target audience is for a service that costs you as much, but takes you way longer.

EDIT: I guess it saves you the cost of a night's stay in a hotel if you don't have/feel like arranging for a place to crash, but you still want to be in the other place in the morning. Still odd to me.

I was speaking generally, the route in particular I was thinking of was Fukuoka to Tokyo.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was speaking generally, the route in particular I was thinking of was Fukuoka to Tokyo.

Hmm, that might make it a more attractive option I suppose. That's around 5 hours, even on a Nozomi.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

if you're taking an overnight bus to save money you shouldn't even be traveling, just go home

Says the man who lived in his car

Overnight bus for a night's sleep is fine and a legit way to cut costs and/or save time

E: okay I should have read this page before replying to your post on the last one. Sorry Autismo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you can't afford to stay in the Peninsula Tokyo hotel then you should go home.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you visit often just buy a house

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

I know a dude that is doing this.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

peanut posted:

Misread as horse, still better than long-distance buses

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Jossos posted:

Hmm, that might make it a more attractive option I suppose. That's around 5 hours, even on a Nozomi.

Here is the page for the bus - http://www.nishitetsu.jp/bus/highwaybus/rosen2/hakata.html

I don't know if I could do a bus ride that long. I did the overnight from Tokyo to Osaka once and I am not sure if it was really worth it but it was around new years and when I took the Shinkansen from Osaka to Fukuoka they were sold out of the reserved seating and I had to stand by the door until the train got to Hiroshima and then things emptied out a bit.

If you have to be somewhere early in the morning and don't want to pay for a hotel and the train it is a decent deal. Especially if it is hard to book a hotel at that time of the year.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

If you can't afford to stay in the Peninsula Tokyo hotel then you should go home.

I guess this is my new plan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The night bus from my area arrives around 6am and nothing is open because why would a coffee shop open before regular office hours

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

You convinced me, I'm buying a bus.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm staying at the Juyoh Hotel for the Tokyo leg of my trip, so caberham would probably be disappointed. I've also reduced it to 12 nights, after reading some suggestions. That leaves a week and two extra days, which I would like to use for Hiroshima. Considering how close Kyoto is to Osaka and Nara, would they be good for day trips from Kyoto?

I'd think I would be travelling on the Shinkansen using the Japan Rail Pass, by the way. Overnight bus doesn't sound practical.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Spark That Bled posted:

Considering how close Kyoto is to Osaka and Nara, would they be good for day trips from Kyoto?

Absolutely. The Kansai area is pretty easy to get around if you're going for big tourist sights. Other candidates would be Himeji, Kobe, maybe Hikone if you like Himeji and want more castle.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are you traveling alone or with friends? If it's ten days and rail pass then pack light and hostel or hotel hop, then take evening shinkansens as lots of the sights close by 5 or 6.

I know everyone wants to see everything at a great price but really try to focus down on a few sights and just keep on moving. If you are not the type to have a set itinerary on track I suggest you to not be so ambitious.

For me though I can never spend enough time in Tokyo.

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 27, 2015

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess night buses could be acceptable if you could actually get some decent rest on them. I can't, then again I can't sleep in planes or cars either so that's not really unique to night buses. If you are in Tokyo you can sometimes find ones that go to places which would otherwise require a lot of train changes .Like the one peanut is talking about, out to Niihama in Ehime.

On the topic of snowboarding, night buses also come up a lot (including Tokyo Snow Club), but in my experience these are an even worse experience since it's a regular bus with no bathroom, stuffed with people. So can't sleep + full of people snoring/coughing/etc. + no bathroom doesn't exactly make for a good start of a trip.

Also on the topic of snowboarding please note that this year, the Kanto Area Pass transforms into the Tokyo Wide Pass and includes shinkansen to Echigo Yuzawa/Gala Yuzawa by default. So 10,000 yen for unlimited JR trains in the greater Kanto area for 3 days. For those that don't know, this pass works differently than the Rail Pass, in that you buy it here in Japan. You are only required to have a foreign passport, not a foreign passport with a tourist stamp like the Rail Passes. This means those of us living in Japan can also buy this one. Since it now includes trains up to Yuzawa by default means you could theoretically make 3x daytrips up there in a row, for 10,000 yen! Quite a good value considering Tokyo<>Echigo Yuzawa is like 11,500 yen if you buy it straight up, so you'll get your money's worth out of even a single trip.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/index.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yo,

Someone recommend a nice place to eat that's not ramen in Kumamoto (city). Budget is around 2000 to 5000/person. Preferably not horse because we'll get many chances to eat that randomly in Aso/Kurokawa.

I dunno if this is a good place to ask -- AFAIK most of you all are not in Kyushu and even the ones who are usually are from Fukuoka.

EDIT:

actually if any of you have suggestions for fukuoka and nagasaki as well i'd be interested. Otherwise id just use tabelog and look for something.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 7, 2015

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Yo,

Someone recommend a nice place to eat that's not ramen in Kumamoto (city). Budget is around 2000 to 5000/person. Preferably not horse because we'll get many chances to eat that randomly in Aso/Kurokawa.

I dunno if this is a good place to ask -- AFAIK most of you all are not in Kyushu and even the ones who are usually are from Fukuoka.

EDIT:

actually if any of you have suggestions for fukuoka and nagasaki as well i'd be interested. Otherwise id just use tabelog and look for something.

Nonini is cheap and amazing and originally from Kumamoto - http://www.ninoni.jp/map.html

I know a bunch of different places in Fukuoka but I always tell people to go check out the Yatai Mami-chan. If you have any specific types of food I can probably give some recommendations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

Nonini is cheap and amazing and originally from Kumamoto - http://www.ninoni.jp/map.html

I know a bunch of different places in Fukuoka but I always tell people to go check out the Yatai Mami-chan. If you have any specific types of food I can probably give some recommendations.

Not gonna lie i usually avoid Japanese-Chinese food on my trips to Japan cause my family is Taiwanese (and a lot of the foods there are mixes of Taiwanese/Fujian/Hong-Kong), but I haven't lived in Japan for a while and could really go for Nikuman or Gyoza right about now. I'll think about it :3

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi goons! Goon meet Tokyo 12 / 12 this Saturday. I'm going to be hammering the details by tomorrow. Probably 7pm at some beer bar or mexican place

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Not gonna lie i usually avoid Japanese-Chinese food on my trips to Japan cause my family is Taiwanese (and a lot of the foods there are mixes of Taiwanese/Fujian/Hong-Kong), but I haven't lived in Japan for a while and could really go for Nikuman or Gyoza right about now. I'll think about it :3

Go there for happy hour and then go to a fancier place afterwards. 125 yen for a plate of Gyoza and 225 yen for a beer is hard to beat!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

Go there for happy hour and then go to a fancier place afterwards. 125 yen for a plate of Gyoza and 225 yen for a beer is hard to beat!

I did this with Ned and it was awesome and really want to do it again

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Got accepted for a 20 day program in Ise, all expenses (even flight) paid. Anything in the area I defs need to check?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cool dude, I hope you're (not) trafficked into sex slavery!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

peanut posted:

Cool dude, I hope you're (not) trafficked into sex slavery!

Does it get me a visa?

(it's a program by Kogakkan Uni)

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

ntan1 posted:

Yo,

City:
Nothing of note in the city itself unless you've been in Japan for a while then I'd second Ni no Ni and also recommend Nanpo Small Kitchen.

Places in Aso:

カフェレストラン阿里美 - https://goo.gl/maps/j3Jnu3CXWE72 (Their Japanese curry with beef and veggies is really good.)

よかよか亭 宮地店 - https://goo.gl/maps/A2eL1ACC9b22 (Yakiniku to Kaisendon, can't go wrong.)

まかない家Matsu - https://goo.gl/maps/Qbv5fyEoP612 (Haven't been but gets lots of recommendations.)

Not in Aso area, but Kami Amakusa:

潮まねき - https://goo.gl/maps/VMrjb1bymdk (Kaisendon, Other seafood and Sushi. Really good and affordable).

paberu fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So I'm coming to Japan tomorrow whaaa

2 kind of random questions:

I hear Japan is a good place to get jeans. Since I live in China which is a terrible place to get most things that aren't respiratory problems, I'd like to get some pants. Any specific places that are good for this in Tokyo? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but also not super cheap.

Second question is about bringing stuff into Japan. At least one person has asked for some tibetan yak jerky since I live in yakland, and I'm wondering if there's going to be any issue bringing this into Japan. When I head back to the States I usually get it looked at and OK'd since it's packaged/shrinkwrapped but I can't find a clear answer online about how strict Japanese customs is on this stuff. For the record it's be all in plastic/sealed/etc and not just random hunks of meat.

The random hunk of meat kind if way better but it's hard to bring anywhere.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get caberham to add you to line chat, jeans and sneaker nerds in there (Momotaro is well-respected)
Japan doesn't allow US beef jerky but tibetan might be fine lol also they never check

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

Get caberham to add you to line chat, jeans and sneaker nerds in there (Momotaro is well-respected)
Japan doesn't allow US beef jerky but tibetan might be fine lol also they never check

I downloaded LINE and for some reason instead of texting me a verification code they called me from New York (I guess cause I'm using the US App Store version of the app???) so I'm already annoyed at this thing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

I downloaded LINE and for some reason instead of texting me a verification code they called me from New York (I guess cause I'm using the US App Store version of the app???) so I'm already annoyed at this thing.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks a fat one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I did this with Ned and it was awesome and really want to do it again

• Locked thread