Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Japanese customs don't really care. Magna bring some yak for me please. And goon meet 12 12 Saturday. See you tomorrow at the room I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Give me some Dr. Panda merch via my famous goon approved intermediary Caberham

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Your job as a China goon is to post pictures of the sky on Wechat to amaze your Chinese friends and to show them how much better Japan is than China

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Take a picture of yourself with a washlet around your neck and a can of baby formula in each hand.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey stringent can you book that sushi place for me again this Friday? Thanks chief thinking table of 1 , 3 if you and your wife is free

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Hi All,

I am playing a trip to Tokyo from Jan 31 to Feb 5. Going to be staying at a Ryokan near Shibuya station. Anyone got any sights to see between Shibuya and Mitaka? Going to go to the Ghibli Museum in the morning and need some stuff for the afternoon/night.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Mechayahiko posted:

Hi All,

I am playing a trip to Tokyo from Jan 31 to Feb 5. Going to be staying at a Ryokan near Shibuya station. Anyone got any sights to see between Shibuya and Mitaka? Going to go to the Ghibli Museum in the morning and need some stuff for the afternoon/night.

I went to Nakano on the way back from Mitaka and that was pretty cool

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mechayahiko posted:

Hi All,

Go here and get Totoro cream puffs (FYI they are closed on Tuesdays): http://www.shiro-hige.com/cream_puffs/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Museums, family businesses and even some atms will be closed 12/28-1/3, hth. You might already know, but the Ghibli Museum requires advance tickets.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thanks for the tips. I just need to nail down which day before I buy the tickets. Anyone know from experience how long an "average" trip to the following museums will be?

Ghibi Museum

Miraikan

National Museum of Nature and Science, Shitamachi Museum, Ueno Zoo

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ghibli can be done in 2 hours.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you want to eat there though prepare for a very long line

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Like everyone said - try to get tickets as far ahead as possible - and just eat somewhere else. Lots of great food in Tokyo

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DiscoJ posted:

Ghibli can be done in 2 hours.

Maybe a little longer if you watch the movie in the on-site theater. (You should do this)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

If you're going to the museum in the morning/early afternoon, going for a walk through Inokashira Park and up to Kichijoji for food is what I'd recommend for after.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You need to book Ghibli tickets in advance, don't forget. In November they were fully booked until early Jan, so don't leave it too late.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

So I'm coming to Japan tomorrow whaaa

2 kind of random questions:

I hear Japan is a good place to get jeans. Since I live in China which is a terrible place to get most things that aren't respiratory problems, I'd like to get some pants. Any specific places that are good for this in Tokyo? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but also not super cheap.

Second question is about bringing stuff into Japan. At least one person has asked for some tibetan yak jerky since I live in yakland, and I'm wondering if there's going to be any issue bringing this into Japan. When I head back to the States I usually get it looked at and OK'd since it's packaged/shrinkwrapped but I can't find a clear answer online about how strict Japanese customs is on this stuff. For the record it's be all in plastic/sealed/etc and not just random hunks of meat.

The random hunk of meat kind if way better but it's hard to bring anywhere.

I have no idea if your yak meat is legal to import to Japan or not, but honestly it doesn't matter. Even if it's illegal, there's a pretty good chance they won't search your bags. If they do, well its yak jerky they aren't going to throw you in jail, they'll just confiscate it. I say this as an unabashed smuggler of American beef jerky.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's moot because no more Yak.

Oh guys the shunga exhibition is super expensive but interesting. Also very very busy like back to back line up for the expo, but very very inconvenient. Show you guys the souvenirs I got

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tokyo goons fun goons! Let's hang out more often and have tacos tomorrow

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
Hey guys, we're leaving for Japan in just under a month and I was hoping someone could give us some last-minute reassurance on our schedule? Unfortunately it's not a very long trip, since we're squeezing this into the limited time we have before work starts up again, so I'm trying to make it efficient but not terribly rushed.

January 7 - 11th - Tokyo
January 12th - 14th - Kyoto
January 15th - 18th - Osaka + Nara
January 19th - Tokyo to fly home.

Five days in Tokyo is primarily because we're meeting up with a friend who just moved over there. Dumb questions - The girlfriend really wants to see the snow monkeys, but all the tours I'm finding are $200+ for two people and sound like a hassle. Is it worth it? Also, I've been reading about the trains and saw the part about them in the original post, but still can't decide whether or not getting a JR pass is worthwhile in this case. The amount of time we're there and the consecutive use thing puts us in a weird spot, and at least according to the Hyperdia time table/price thing, the total cost between the passes and just buying tickets for each leg while there is very close. Will the pass save us a lot of time/trouble? Would it make sense to wait to activate it right before we leave for Kyoto so it will still cover that last trip from Osaka to Tokyo to fly home? Thanks in advance for any help!

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I'm looking at spending about 15 days in Japan at the start of February. I'm coming with my girlfriend and am just now starting to scope out an itinerary.

It will be my second trip to the country. Last time I split my time between Kyoto and Tokyo. I think I'll skip Kyoto this time but still want to hit up Tokyo for 4 days or so. I barely scratched the surface there last time.

Besides that, I'd like to go to Sapporo for their winter festival and go somewhere that's in the mountains (probably in Hokkaido) that's pretty in the winter and has more to see/do than just ski since the gf isn't into that. Maybe somewhere with hotsprings and/or where we could go snowmobiling.

Any suggestions on places that would be a good fit? I'm mainly interested in nature and beautiful scenery over culture/history. Anyplace considered a must visit in February would be appreciated. I'm willing to skip around the country quite a bit too but I know 15 days really isn't that long to be seeing a lot of different areas.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boola posted:

I'm looking at spending about 15 days in Japan at the start of February. I'm coming with my girlfriend and am just now starting to scope out an itinerary.

It will be my second trip to the country. Last time I split my time between Kyoto and Tokyo. I think I'll skip Kyoto this time but still want to hit up Tokyo for 4 days or so. I barely scratched the surface there last time.

Besides that, I'd like to go to Sapporo for their winter festival and go somewhere that's in the mountains (probably in Hokkaido) that's pretty in the winter and has more to see/do than just ski since the gf isn't into that. Maybe somewhere with hotsprings and/or where we could go snowmobiling.

Any suggestions on places that would be a good fit? I'm mainly interested in nature and beautiful scenery over culture/history. Anyplace considered a must visit in February would be appreciated. I'm willing to skip around the country quite a bit too but I know 15 days really isn't that long to be seeing a lot of different areas.

Seeing the snow monkeys in the onsen is pretty cool, although it was a little more touristy than I thought (onsen is an artificial pool now, fair few number of tourists). Also up (or down, relative to Hokkaido) that way is Shirakawa-go, which is a picturesque little traditional village with steep roofs to keep off all the snow.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Seeing the snow monkeys in the onsen is pretty cool, although it was a little more touristy than I thought (onsen is an artificial pool now, fair few number of tourists). Also up (or down, relative to Hokkaido) that way is Shirakawa-go, which is a picturesque little traditional village with steep roofs to keep off all the snow.

Confirming that snow monkeys are super touristy, so base your opinion on that. That being said, if you like snow and like onsen, there are tons and tons of places to go near that area that aren't as touristy :3.

PS: you can do better than a JR pass if you are able to get one of the special discount round trip shinkansen tickets. Ie. Japanican has a couple of vouches that will bring down the shinkansen price to like 20,000/person round trip. See if one of those works.

Boola posted:

For Hokkaido, Noboribetsu, Otaru, Toya are some examples. Just leave some time in case something goes wrong due to a blizzard. For more information, check one of the standard travel websites, and even take a look at the JR Hokkaido english site for some sample plans.

In the winter, pretty much all of Tohoku is also pretty great too. Bonus is that Tohoku is an often missed area in Japan which is also absolutely stunning. Same caveats where storms can be a fun issue.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 16, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You don't need a JR pass for Tokyo unless you're doing loads of side trips. Buy a shorter length pass and activate it when you need it.

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it! As for the shorter alternative to the full JR Pass, is there a site/resource somewhere I can read about the ticket options and compare them? I apologize if I missed something obvious or if was this earlier in the thread.

Edit: Found some resources, it looks like the Kansai Thru pass might be what we want for everything after Tokyo.

BeepBoopBatman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 17, 2015

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Hey guys, we're leaving for Japan in just under a month and I was hoping someone could give us some last-minute reassurance on our schedule? Unfortunately it's not a very long trip, since we're squeezing this into the limited time we have before work starts up again, so I'm trying to make it efficient but not terribly rushed.

January 7 - 11th - Tokyo
January 12th - 14th - Kyoto
January 15th - 18th - Osaka + Nara
January 19th - Tokyo to fly home.

Five days in Tokyo is primarily because we're meeting up with a friend who just moved over there. Dumb questions - The girlfriend really wants to see the snow monkeys, but all the tours I'm finding are $200+ for two people and sound like a hassle. Is it worth it? Also, I've been reading about the trains and saw the part about them in the original post, but still can't decide whether or not getting a JR pass is worthwhile in this case. The amount of time we're there and the consecutive use thing puts us in a weird spot, and at least according to the Hyperdia time table/price thing, the total cost between the passes and just buying tickets for each leg while there is very close. Will the pass save us a lot of time/trouble? Would it make sense to wait to activate it right before we leave for Kyoto so it will still cover that last trip from Osaka to Tokyo to fly home? Thanks in advance for any help!

For monkeys, there's a reasonably easily accessed monkey park in Kyoto's Arashiyama district. I'm not sure how likely the snow part is but the monkeys are fun to watch/feed and Arashiyama itself is easy to get to from Kyoto Station and is a nice area to spend a day in.

One of the well-known onsen places (Jigokudani Monkey Park) is in Nagano, a fairly mountainous prefecture about an hour from Tokyo by Shinkansen. The park itself takes about 90 minutes to get to from Nagano Station. If you started early, it's daytrip-able for *relatively* cheap (buses available for about 3,000 each way for Tokyo/Nagano) but joining a tour would cut out a lot of hassle. Personally, I'd recommend the park as a side-trip from a ski-trip to Shiga Kogen. The park is quite nice, but it is a hassle to get to and it's quite small.
Buses to/from Nagano: http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus/route/calendar.php?mid=1&oR=2301019&fR=1301019&off=1&hkn=30&kns=15
Directions to park: http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/english/html/access.htm

It is quite 'touristy' but unless you are unlucky and happen to go when there's a bunch of inconsiderate groups around, it's not that big a problem. The onsen area is obviously gets the most crowded, but the monkeys go everywhere. I've been there twice (last time was mid-January this year) and apart from one group of Japanese tourists hogging a 'prime' onsen viewing spot for a long time, the number/behaviour of other tourists was fine.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

For Hokkaido, Noboribetsu, Otaru, Toya are some examples. Just leave some time in case something goes wrong due to a blizzard. For more information, check one of the standard travel websites, and even take a look at the JR Hokkaido english site for some sample plans.

In the winter, pretty much all of Tohoku is also pretty great too. Bonus is that Tohoku is an often missed area in Japan which is also absolutely stunning. Same caveats where storms can be a fun issue.

I went to Noboribetsu this year and I really enjoyed it. It's an amazing place to walk around all day, enjoying the scenery and then go back to enjoy some good food and a bath in a hot spring afterwards.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Work is sending me to Yokosuka for ~14 days in April, and I'm thinking of tacking on another week of just wandering around. Any recommendations on what to see in and around that area? I'm thinking of hitting up Tokyo/Kyoto for the last week, but will be traveling alone. Last time I traveled alone was in France and I ended up wandering around some museums and sights then chilling in my room because I didn't speak the language and didn't know where the hell to go to just hang out. This time I'm learning a bit of Japanese before I head out there to try and head off that problem, but am looking for recommendations on what type of areas to hit up if I just want to sit around and chat with locals, preferably people in their late 20's early 30's (not to pick up chicks, I'm married).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Check out the OP and work from there. Just stick around Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PM Aredna for max hard chilling.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

PM Aredna for max hard chilling.

until 5am the next day :smugdog: He's an awesome gooooooon

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
5am was a weak night - we can do 5pm next time

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Are there places in Tokyo or Kyoto that do sakura ebi kakiage, or is it more local to Shizuoka prefecture?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

Are there places in Tokyo or Kyoto that do sakura ebi kakiage, or is it more local to Shizuoka prefecture?

Standard udon shop food :japan:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sakura ebi kaikage.

There's tsunahachi and for the baller option go to tsuruya in the peninsula hotel

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to alter tight travel plans to go from Tokyo to see a friend in Osaka. I'm looking to leave on the 1st. I'd hoped to book a Shinkansen ticket, but what limited online booking I can find is already sold out. I know they leave like every 15 minutes and have a bunch of nonreserved seating, but with the new years crowds am I going to be safe waiting to buy a ticket till I'm in Tokyo next week?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bakanogami posted:

Trying to alter tight travel plans to go from Tokyo to see a friend in Osaka. I'm looking to leave on the 1st. I'd hoped to book a Shinkansen ticket, but what limited online booking I can find is already sold out. I know they leave like every 15 minutes and have a bunch of nonreserved seating, but with the new years crowds am I going to be safe waiting to buy a ticket till I'm in Tokyo next week?

You can get a nonreserved ticket at any time but odds are you will be standing the entire time.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hi japangoons, does anyone wanna do a thing in maybe a few days' time in Tokyo?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 25, 2015

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

Hi japangoons, does anyone wanna do a thing in maybe a few days' time in Tokyo?

I like things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Ned posted:

You can get a nonreserved ticket at any time but odds are you will be standing the entire time.

If you can get on at the first stop you can just wait an extra 20-30 minutes for the next train leaving in the same track and be first in line to make sure you get a seat.

• Locked thread