Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How dumb/screwed am I?

I'm staying outside of Nagoya starting on Saturday until March 31st. I was having issues finding the appropriate JR ticket to get me to/from Kyoto and Hiroshima for fairly cheap so I was planning on buying two Tokaido/Sanyo passes at O'Hare since those are the lines I need to get out west. Then I finally found the page for the JR Pass ($380 for 14 days versus $560 for 10). Problem is... I leave in like 36 hours.

Should I see if they'll ship the voucher to where I'm staying? How boned am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radiohead71 posted:

I think you are pretty much boned. I live in FL and got my JR Pass voucher FedEx'd from London. It only took a few days, but I don't think you have enough time.

Go here and do the estimated delivery time thing

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/book-jrp/delivery-rates-and-times

I called them and emailed them to no avail. I'm going to be staying with a friend who lives in Japan and they say they can deliver, but I don't know.

JAL basically said "welp" on the phone, so I booked a 7 day pass through JTB USA which says "order by 3pm PT" at 5:40PM EDT and chose overnight shipping. If I don't get the pass tomorrow, I can try my luck at the JAL counter in O'Hare and refund the JTB one when I get home.

Japan-rail-pass just got back to me, haha. I can ship it to a Japanese address, so that's an option as well.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what a good deal:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't exactly plan out my trip, but basically just book a hotel in the next city over. There were no decent options in Hiroshima, but a ~25min shinkansen ride to Fukuyama put me in the Richmond hotel for way cheaper and way nicer. I'm p bad at vacations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Busy Bee posted:

How's your Japanese and how often will you be on the bullet trains while you're there? I would highly recommend the Green Class if you can speak conversational Japanese because it is important when receiving the tickets at the reservation counter - Where are you going? Where do you want to sit? Aisle / Window? Do you want to be sitting behind each other or next to each other? What time do you want to go? Which train do you want to get on?

Green class is nice on all the bullet trains but if you know which train is the newest, you will get to experience the nicer green class. However, if you're going from Tokyo to Hiroshima, Regular Class would probably be the best. Unless you're going up north to Akita / Taking the new Hokuriku train / traveling south of Fukuoka.

I got the Green JR pass and used it on my Hikari trip from Nagoya to Hiroshima. It was really nice and I passed out immediately, but I was stuck on the Kodama and 8-car Hikari for all of my other shinkansen trips, so I didn't really get to use it that much. If you just get the normal JR pass and reserve a seat at the counter, you'll be more than fine.

Question time: I'm planning on going back to Japan next year near the end of March/beginning of April. I didn't plan my trip this year which was for half of March, and it bit me in the rear end a bit when I was trying to find hotels after once I was in the country. Is it a good idea to start booking hotels now for March/April 2016? I'm going to be mostly hanging out in Kansai (Osaka/Kobe, etc).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I tried booking a hotel 4 days out for both Osaka and Hiroshima, and I wound up in Kobe (wasn't bad, the hotel was kinda awful though) and Fukuyama (owned).

I was thinking about trying to get a train out to Tokyo from Fukuyama, and it was not happening. The Kodama from Hiroshima wasn't that bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lemmi Caution posted:

gently caress yeah!

Sixteenth floor of the Richmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, booked a flight to Japan for the end of March. I'm flying into Osaka and would like a recommendation for a hotel/AirBnB/whatever in the area. I'm gonna travel around a bit, but my go to hotel has no available rooms for the weekends anywhere near Osaka (Fukuyama? Nagoya? No problem). Thanks!

e: I guess I should have said that I was fishing more for "AirBnB won't be impossible with my nonexistent level of Japanese, right?" I see a few places that shouldn't be an issue; I can just send a sim card to my buddy in Kobe and pick it up in the morning.

Phone fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 2, 2016

• Locked thread