Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but there's no reason to think she didn't invent those other things besides "it happened off screen"? I mean, I definitely see how you could choose to read her as being untalented and the producers just made all her poo poo for her, but in a game where the producers can literally rewrite memories and personalities on the fly, I don't see why she can't have invented that other stuff too.

There's also an open possibility that the producers gave her the things then implanted memories of creating them, just to keep the plot going. Whichever of these cases you prefer, it doesn't particularly affect the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
iirc the most infamous bad puzzle localization was the first Hangman's Puzzle in DR2 where to introduce the new puzzle, you are given a solution with like 16 letters or some crap

i *think* DR1 was the only one that struck me as having poor choices for "which evidence literally contradicts which response" and it improved as the series went along

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Teratrain posted:

This is something that Ace Attorney is usually quite careful about, if I'm not mistaken? There's usually a straight-up error to pick out that you could theoretically do even if you had absolutely no context for the case up to that point (as the court record is updated to contain all the pieces of the puzzle).

There are probably a few cases where this isn't true or context is needed but I recall it being pretty consistent throughout, although context always makes it easier.

The only time I remember there being an issue with Ace Attorney was in case 1-5 Ema says Darke stabbed whatsisname in the chest from the front, if you present the autopsy report saying he was stabbed in the back, it doesnt work. I forget what the correct evidence was but it had nothing to do with the actual stabbing

Maybe I'm just still bitter though :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

There's also an open possibility that the producers gave her the things then implanted memories of creating them, just to keep the plot going. Whichever of these cases you prefer, it doesn't particularly affect the plot.

That is kind of the beauty of V3 I suppose. Due to how crazy the plot goes you can believe basically anything you want to about the kids and their identities/abilities. Hell, even the part about Hope's Peak being a lie rests entirely on you taking the concept of cospox at face value.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but there's no reason to think she didn't invent those other things besides "it happened off screen"? I mean, I definitely see how you could choose to read her as being untalented and the producers just made all her poo poo for her, but in a game where the producers can literally rewrite memories and personalities on the fly, I don't see why she can't have invented that other stuff too.

Sure, I don't think anyone would say that that interpretation is impossible. [V3 ending spoilers] But V3 has so little in the way of clear answers that there's a strong incentive for people to try to find consistent theories that fit the restricted information we do have. The idea that the flashback lights can only implant book-learning and boost confidence explains a lot of little inconsistencies, and there's nothing in the game that really contradicts it so it's a very popular theory.

Of course it's always hard to tell the difference between deliberately-placed details and meaningless coincidences. Like, people have pointed out that the backgrounds on the "interview" videos shown in the final trial match one of the sets in Tsumugi's lab. That might be an indication that those videos were her cosplaying as those characters so she could use the videos to throw them into despair, or it might just mean that the devs didn't have that many floor textures and reused one of them. There's no real way to be sure.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re v3 speculation the books in Shuichi's lab make it pretty clear that "the first two games were actually not fake" was at least intended to be a possibility

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The case files in Shuichi's room start as drawings and then become actual people. IE the early ones were actually 2D drawn videogames like they were in real life, and they moved on to using actual people later.

TwoPair posted:

She can basically 'invent' one of the things she has a blueprint for, right? It's a very fishy setup.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The case files in Shuichi's room start as drawings and then become actual people. IE the early ones were actually 2D drawn videogames like they were in real life, and they moved on to using actual people later.
She can basically 'invent' one of the things she has a blueprint for, right? It's a very fishy setup.

took it more as "they have pictures for the games following the first ones because of course they'd have actual pictures for shows they produced, rather than a recounting of an old incident

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yes - but in DR1 the whole thing was televised to the world. The world wasn't in a very good state so you could argue nobody would have recorded it, but that's unlikely given that it was apparently quite a popular show.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just finished the series and I'm super happy I did. Probably one of my favorite game series I've played. I loved how (massive V3 endgame spoilers) V3 is actually "53" and the mastermind of the game is basically the audience and writers. Plus some of the supposed earlier Danganronpas have hilarious looiking titles and now I feel if they ever do make more they'll be forced to use those goofy titles

A question for the thread: my wife and I have been watching the DR1 anime and she really likes it and is curious where the story goes but playing DR2 is out because she can't play games due to vertigo. Is there a good summary or video LP or anything that explains DR2? She's interested in moving on to DR3 but I think doing so without understanding DR2 and its characters would make it a pretty difficult watch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

axeil posted:

Just finished the series and I'm super happy I did. Probably one of my favorite game series I've played. I loved how (massive V3 endgame spoilers) V3 is actually "53" and the mastermind of the game is basically the audience and writers. Plus some of the supposed earlier Danganronpas have hilarious looiking titles and now I feel if they ever do make more they'll be forced to use those goofy titles

A question for the thread: my wife and I have been watching the DR1 anime and she really likes it and is curious where the story goes but playing DR2 is out because she can't play games due to vertigo. Is there a good summary or video LP or anything that explains DR2? She's interested in moving on to DR3 but I think doing so without understanding DR2 and its characters would make it a pretty difficult watch.
EDIT: Oh you mean the anime DR3, nm

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

EDIT: Oh you mean the anime DR3, nm

Yeah the DR3 anime.

I am a weirdo who watched it and really, really loved it and my wife is curious about what happens after DR1. Her favorite character is Hina so (DR3 general spoiler) given the events of the anime I think she'll enjoy seeing Hina have a more prominent role

Given that she can't play the games and knows there's the DR3 anime, she's tepidly interested in giving it a shot but I'm trying to find some kind of summary or something for DR2 so she isn't super confused in the Despair arc. Plus she's gotta learn how (DR2 Case 5 spoiler) loving crazy Nagito is. Bonus points if I can get her to experience the :wtc: of Nagito's Wild Ride without actually playing the game

We just got to the part where (DR1 case 5 spoilers) Makoto gets "executed" and now she's trying to figure out what the hell happened and who the corpse really is. She's very close to the truth! (She thinks its the headmaster and Mukuro has been secretly running the game)

edit: I think my love of DR2 and its cast is influencing it somewhat. The cases aren't the best (save Case 5) but the cast feels the most solid. There's too many meh/throwaway characters in DR1 and DR3 and the only characters seeing major character development in 3 are Shuichi, Himiko and Maki. I think DR2 had a lot more nuance. I mean think about Case 4 where Gundham does a murder not because he really wants to but because he knows all his friends are gonna die if he doesn't.[/b]

I still think the only character I actively disliked was Hifumi because he was a gross creep and constantly screamed like a banshee. He contributed almost nothing to DR1 except me cringing. Every other character, even if I disliked them/thought they were a dick, at least advanced the plot somehow or were interesting foils for other characters.

Also for V3 (Case 1 Spoilers): Kaede dying was the Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident in History for me playing the game. Once I figured it out I just kept going "no, no, no!" because I really wanted to keep playing as her. Shuichi ended up being...fine, but I would've loved for Kaede to stick around longer.

Additionally by the end (V3 Ending Spoilers): I think they could've done some interesting things with her pre-fiction personality being a DR-fangirl edgelord. Although maybe they felt that was too close to what they did with Hajime.

Last thing: (DR1 end spoilers) Junko having a fake valley girl accent in DR1 is one of the best VA decisions they could've made. It fits her cover so well and she does a great job with it. Her voice actress was loving incredible in the final trial and I'm glad they let her go all out for it

Also (DR3 anime spoilers), it makes her whole arc in the DR3 anime hit all the better because you'll see her switch between her fake voice and "real" voice a few times. Maybe I'm just a despair-addicted weirdo but Junko's probably my favorite character just because of how well she's portrayed and how loving crazy she is

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 21, 2021

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Regarding the DRV3 ending: If you replay the prologue, you'll notice some things that don't quite fit Tsumugi's narrative, such as Kaede and Shuichi using those names before being Flashback'd and having clear memovries of being kidnapped off the street and shoved into a car, which never comes up again. The part where they all get exited for being picked also never happened, though some of them do recognize the Monokubs eventually - especially Rantaro. It is of course possible that this is another layer of false memory shenanigans, but at that point you might as well consider everything shown in DRV3 to be equally reliable. Speaking of which...

DRV3 demo: The demo constantly breaks the fourth wall, one character explicitly calls it a "test" and it ends with several characters including Monokuma saying farewells like they are just getting off work. It would not be a stretch to believe that the demo is actually canon and something they did in-between the first Flashback Light and the actual killing game.

I'm starting to believe that the writers are just trolling us at that point.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

NeverHelm posted:

Regarding the DRV3 ending: If you replay the prologue, you'll notice some things that don't quite fit Tsumugi's narrative, such as Kaede and Shuichi using those names before being Flashback'd and having clear memovries of being kidnapped off the street and shoved into a car, which never comes up again. The part where they all get exited for being picked also never happened, though some of them do recognize the Monokubs eventually - especially Rantaro. It is of course possible that this is another layer of false memory shenanigans, but at that point you might as well consider everything shown in DRV3 to be equally reliable. Speaking of which...

The kidnapping memories are clearly part of the false backstories intended to make the players paranoid and prone to murderin’.

The original memories of all the Ultimates are just gone. They are literally game characters; like at a host a murder mystery party, there’s a gimmick and a few paragraphs of back story.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

The kidnapping memories are clearly part of the false backstories intended to make the players paranoid and prone to murderin’.

V3 ending They never remember being kidnapped at any point during the killing game, though. They only remember it in the prologue before they become Ultimates.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tsumugi is definitely lying about them being willing volunteers, yeah. That's probably the line they give to the world to make the game seem acceptable, and due to the brainwashing powers they can easily create videos to back it up.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

NRVNQSR posted:

V3 ending They never remember being kidnapped at any point during the killing game, though. They only remember it in the prologue before they become Ultimates.

I’m pretty sure they get them from flashback lights. The whole point of the ending is that they simply cannot know their true memories. Even the memories of them volunteering as contestants might be fake.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I never thought I'd get the chance to play this but it just dropped on Game Pass so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not going in blind, I watched the Super best friends LP of Ultra Despair Girls 7 years ago and I dated a girl that was super into it so I know who the big bad is. I thought the game was being super stingy with coins but you get a bunch after trials? Any general hints?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Lammasu posted:

I thought the game was being super stingy with coins but you get a bunch after trials? Any general hints?

As far as spending Monocoins goes, you're usually best off spending them on presents one at a time until you get to like 90-95% collection, at which point you can start ramping it up for those last few items. This gives you a nice spread of gifts for everyone, and also gives you a decent chance to get the items that unlock the extra scenes.

As for skills, I recommend grabbing the ones that help you with the minigames you struggle with the most. Perhaps the most useful skill is Trigger Happy, from Genocide Jack's events which reduces the cooldown for firing Truth bullets - very useful when you miss. If you still want more coins, you can try doing Celeste's Free Time events, giving you a skill that increases your coin rewards.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I was told to concentrate on one relationship at a time but what if I have a gift that is max for someone else?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC in DR1 you can progress as long as it's at least a positive reaction. I think it was only the second game where you needed something they really liked to get the last few events

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Lammasu posted:

I was told to concentrate on one relationship at a time but what if I have a gift that is max for someone else?

The advantage of concentrating on one relationship at the time is that you're more likely to complete that relationship and get the associated skill, but it's fine to leap between characters you're interested in if you're not that concerned about skills. I wouldn't recommend going for someone solely because you have a good gift for them, though; spend time with the characters you'd like to spend time with!

Gameplay-wise, the two lines reacting to the gift are the only difference between giving a character something they sort of like and giving them something they really like. All that matters is giving them a gift that's good enough to trigger the Free Time scene.

Rith fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 24, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also be sure not to look up guides for what gifts are good for what classmate as they’ll probably tell you to make sure to gift it before day X, since you know something unpleasant is gonna happen then.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I should have known not to pin it to my home page. You can get spoilers in featured game clips.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If I remember right, they made a bunch of unused execution videos for characters who don’t go through it so if you happen to have seen an execution as a spoiler there’s at least a chance that it was one of those.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I love that this is on Game Pass because you get the reviews of "What the hell is this?"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I've been taking my time at this and just finished Chapter one.
I figured out pretty quick that Leon did it but the idea of Sayaka trying to frame me really took me by surprised. How does the name thing work in the original Japanese? Seems like it would be counter intuitive if you're native in kanji. The trial lasted a lot longer than I expected but I guess since it's the main game play it's not surprising. The only thing I really had trouble with was the BTB. Wish there was a way I could practice.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Lammasu posted:

So I've been taking my time at this and just finished Chapter one.
I figured out pretty quick that Leon did it but the idea of Sayaka trying to frame me really took me by surprised. How does the name thing work in the original Japanese? Seems like it would be counter intuitive if you're native in kanji. The trial lasted a lot longer than I expected but I guess since it's the main game play it's not surprising. The only thing I really had trouble with was the BTB. Wish there was a way I could practice.

Native Japanese people are very familiar with romaji. Leon doing it was also obvious in Japanese.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lammasu posted:

The trial lasted a lot longer than I expected but I guess since it's the main game play it's not surprising.

As a bit of a heads up, this is very much the norm, and you can expect the final trial in any of the games to take at least twice as long as a “normal” trial to complete. They’re always worth it, but if you don’t want to be up all night, don’t commit to doing a final in one sitting unless it’s early evening when you start the trial.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone have any hints on Bullet Time Battles? I kind of suck at rhythm games.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Something I've seen a lot of people not really internalize is that you can lock on to multiple statements at once, and then a single press of the fire button will hit all of the locked on statements. That means that you can settle on the lock-on button as your baseline "just keep tapping this to the beat" button, and only work in the fire button when you need to. Possible minor mechanic spoiler: When the game starts to limit your ammo it will naturally complicate things, but at the core it's the same as the fire button where you swap to a different button to accomplish a task before returning to your baseline of locking on. Also, don't forget that you have your concentration ability to make it stop caring about the rhythm for a little while.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Anyone have any hints on Bullet Time Battles? I kind of suck at rhythm games.

They're terrible, also I think the PC ports have some weird lag or something because I'm actually really into rhythm games and I like to think I'm pretty good at them and the battles in DR2 were impossible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the DR2 ones are awkward and the controls aren't explained real well but if you know how to do it it's kind of the easiest one because you only have to press and release on the beat

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They're basically not synced to the downbeat of the backing track at all. It's a total mess that I found easier to play muted.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As someone who plays a reasonable amount of rhythm games, it was much easier to pretend that the music was just an unrelated backing track. I've no idea if it was better on the PSP but on the PC that poo poo just simply didn't sync at all.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Figured it out. Just needed to read the instructions better. Also, HA HA! problematic trans portrayal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
vita wins again

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, yes. I haven't read the dialogue around that case in a long time but it always seemed to me like it makes much more sense to read Chihiro as a trans boy rather than the other way round. Marred only by the fact that's clearly not what the writers intended.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What happens if I give the same gift twice? Honestly that should be okay with food items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Just started on Chapter 4 and drat this tone is all over the place.