Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
All right, just finished it. I watched the Super Best Friends LP of Ultra Despair Girls so I knew Junko was the big bad. Ironically coming in knowing stuff tripped me up in a few places like when she first "died" For some reason I thought Kyoko didn't survive so I expected her to be like the final murderer. Is Junko as annoying in Japanese as she is in English? I did some reading on the development and apparently they wanted it to be even darker than it was. I have no idea how that could have turned out. Did anyone else watch the Liam and Woolie LP of Ultra Despair Girls? It was one of their most downvoted LPs but I liked it despite not know the context of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lammasu posted:

All right, just finished it. I watched the Super Best Friends LP of Ultra Despair Girls so I knew Junko was the big bad. Ironically coming in knowing stuff tripped me up in a few places like when she first "died" For some reason I thought Kyoko didn't survive so I expected her to be like the final murderer. Is Junko as annoying in Japanese as she is in English? I did some reading on the development and apparently they wanted it to be even darker than it was. I have no idea how that could have turned out. Did anyone else watch the Liam and Woolie LP of Ultra Despair Girls? It was one of their most downvoted LPs but I liked it despite not know the context of anything.

She be crazy in JP too. Though I think her actress sadly passed away recently.

I also watched and enjoyed that LP

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

She be crazy in JP too. Though I think her actress sadly passed away recently.

I also watched and enjoyed that LP

Junko Enoshima's voice actress, Megumi Toyoguchi, is alive and well and still one of the most prolific (and talented) voice actors in Japan. Seriously, check her credits list some time.

Sayaka Kanda, who was Junko's live action stage actress and also voiced Kaede Akamatsu in NDRV3 and wrote and performed the DR3 ending song recently committed suicide. She doesn't really have much anime/game voice acting credits other than DRV3, and was mainly a musician and a musical stage actress, but became pretty famous a few years back after voicing Anna in the Japanese dub of Disney's Frozen.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

OP I expect regular updates about DR2 because that one is not only a better game, it's also much wackier

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goethe.cx posted:

OP I expect regular updates about DR2 because that one is not only a better game, it's also much wackier

And then play your turn to die

It's good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

goethe.cx posted:

the DR sequels also, without spoiling things too much, do the sort of MGS-esque thing where a lot of the plot beats are more interesting with knowledge/expectations of the prior games, so yeah, play DR2/V3

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
I bought Decadence and after the first one I'm torn between taking a look at the postgame or just shelving it. I liked the trial gameplay but most characters feel like cardboard cutouts and the cases telegraph their twists incredibly hard. It definitely feels like a product of its time - I got stuck on one of the first Hangman puzzles because the game wanted you to call Toko a schizo. Having your ending be Junko showing up and throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and then happily marching to her death is definitely a choice.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The sequels are really good but they definitely lean into batshit crazy plot developments, so if your tolerance was low for that in the first game, you might bounce off.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

batteries! posted:

I bought Decadence and after the first one I'm torn between taking a look at the postgame or just shelving it. I liked the trial gameplay but most characters feel like cardboard cutouts and the cases telegraph their twists incredibly hard. It definitely feels like a product of its time - I got stuck on one of the first Hangman puzzles because the game wanted you to call Toko a schizo. Having your ending be Junko showing up and throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and then happily marching to her death is definitely a choice.

If you're on the fence, going directly to the second game might be the option I'd suggest? I won't say it completely fixes the sort of problems you're talking about, but many people consider it the best of the three and its baselines of character depth and competence are mostly higher than the first game's. I don't think the first game's postgame will improve your view on it much.

It would have been nice if they had tried to improve that specific terminology you mentioned for the rerelease, but I can't say I'm surprised that they didn't. It's not like it was particularly acceptable on first release.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We're now further out from the English release of DRv3 than the release of the first game in Japan was from its official localisation, and I can confirm that I am still mad about NISA's choices of key terminology. The one hangman gambit with schizo was just kind of a standout "excuse me what" moment on top of it.

And like, on the whole it's okay. But it's just the key words, the ones you hear over and over again with varying levels of drama and humour, that just, urgh, they're wrong. I'll die mad about it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

batteries! posted:

most characters feel like cardboard cutouts

that's just a graphical choice, dude

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

We're now further out from the English release of DRv3 than the release of the first game in Japan was from its official localisation, and I can confirm that I am still mad about NISA's choices of key terminology. The one hangman gambit with schizo was just kind of a standout "excuse me what" moment on top of it.

And like, on the whole it's okay. But it's just the key words, the ones you hear over and over again with varying levels of drama and humour, that just, urgh, they're wrong. I'll die mad about it.

NISA making bad localization decisions? Unpossible.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

man nurse posted:

The sequels are really good but they definitely lean into batshit crazy plot developments, so if your tolerance was low for that in the first game, you might bounce off.

NRVNQSR posted:

If you're on the fence, going directly to the second game might be the option I'd suggest? I won't say it completely fixes the sort of problems you're talking about, but many people consider it the best of the three and its baselines of character depth and competence are mostly higher than the first game's. I don't think the first game's postgame will improve your view on it much.

It would have been nice if they had tried to improve that specific terminology you mentioned for the rerelease, but I can't say I'm surprised that they didn't. It's not like it was particularly acceptable on first release.

I actually liked the twist, I just think it would've landed better if the game didn't pile up all the hints in the first ten minutes of the three hour ending stretch (the real MVP being Kyoko's dad keeping a file of student height and boob measurements on his desk). I spent the entire time thinking it was a smokescreen for another surprise and it's (Zero Escape spoilers) the VLR "you're on the moon motherfucker" twist, but done worse.

Guess I'll start on the second one.

kidcoelacanth posted:

lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The games absolutely lean into "full on anime" for plot twists. But I think that's kind of their strengths as well. Like they're unabashedly crazy with the plot and that rules

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

:perfect:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Fedule posted:

As I will keep harping on. Not only was it a poor choice, it is straight up WRONG just by definition

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/schizophrenia
Contrary to public perception, schizophrenia is not split personality or multiple personality.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I hope they release the other games to X-Box game pass.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

mateo360 posted:

As I will keep harping on. Not only was it a poor choice, it is straight up WRONG just by definition

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/schizophrenia
Contrary to public perception, schizophrenia is not split personality or multiple personality.

Of course it's wrong, split personality as media uses it doesn't exist.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Brandfarlig posted:

Of course it's wrong, split personality as media uses it doesn't exist.

that's not really the hair we're trying to split here.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Danganrompa 2 is coming to game pass this month :D. So it looks like they are going to do every game individually instead of a collection so they can get game pass money for each game. Whatever, it's still free and I would never get to play it otherwise.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dr3 first case spoilers: I don't like that they went all heavy rain with the first case. Mysterys that cheat and have the player/reader/viewer's perspective just.. not see a bunch of the stuff that the character does is such a buzz kill. Would've really preferred that either we knew and were going through the setup as part of gameplay, then having a different take in the trial where we have to prove we did it and get people to believe, or just never playing as that character

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Dr3 first case spoilers: I don't like that they went all heavy rain with the first case. Mysterys that cheat and have the player/reader/viewer's perspective just.. not see a bunch of the stuff that the character does is such a buzz kill. Would've really preferred that either we knew and were going through the setup as part of gameplay, then having a different take in the trial where we have to prove we did it and get people to believe, or just never playing as that character

It's a little divisive. I've certainly seen much worse offenders; at least here the narrator specifically never lies to us and does accurately report all of their actions, so it's not out of the question that an astute reader would notice, even though they conceal a lot of their thought process and specific details. But yeah, from the get go it's not trying very hard to play fair in that case. For the most part, though, I think people who don't like it often don't like it because they wanted to play as that character more.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

It's a little divisive. I've certainly seen much worse offenders; at least here the narrator specifically never lies to us and does accurately report all of their actions, so it's not out of the question that an astute reader would notice, even though they conceal a lot of their thought process and specific details. But yeah, from the get go it's not trying very hard to play fair in that case. For the most part, though, I think people who don't like it often don't like it because they wanted to play as that character more.

she technically says she does something. For example you're forced to look at the shot put and then she says she "puts everything into her bag." She "drops all her things" when she's leaving the room which definitely doesn't read to me like "rolled a shot put through a vent."

It only lies by omission for sure, which iirc is the thing in heavy rain as well. It's just kind of lazy writing in a mystery imo. Just rubs me the wrong way. Though I'll definitely admit that I'd way prefer to play as her then the detective, but tbf we stopped for the night post trial so hopefully he becomes more of a character

Edit: the actual mechanism stuff was cool and clever though imo

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 4, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

For the most part, though, I think people who don't like it often don't like it because they wanted to play as that character more.

It can be two things!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can we please not associate this plot gambit with Heavy Rain, a poor bumbling imitation of a coherent mystery plot, and instead associate it with the story that Heavy Rain lazily cribbed this gambit from, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, a book that a few readers were like "no that's bullshit" about but which received basically universal acclaim at the time and since, and which also has the exact same kind of "I finished up my work and left the room" misdirection reused very literally in DRv3. I cannot stand to see Heavy Rain credited with anything, even indirectly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it fits well in V3. She very brazenly does the entire murder directly in front of a witness without him noticing. The text you get from her contains no lies and is similar to what she's presenting to Shuichi.

For Heavy Rain There's a widely known issue where the killer thinks "What's taking him so long?" regarding someone who he just murdered. I think the twist is somewhat interesting in theory but it is not thought through that well

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also (v3) lying/untruths are kind of thematically appropriate for the game lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also (v3) lying/untruths are kind of thematically appropriate for the game lol

Well sure, though I obviously haven't finished the game. But I still wish the game had just let me in on the fact that my viewpoint character was lying. Would have been an interesting twist on the trial: Have to put the detective in the corner via lying to actually get him to out ourselves to give people hope or whatever because holy poo poo we accidentally killed someone who wasn't the mastermind. It also would've made the "holy crap I need to lie and say that I had the receiver" make a lot more sense because the whole trial just read that my character was forcing me to pretend the detective didn't do it because.. we're friends I guess? I dunno, the whole thing just rang bad to me, putting aside other comparisons.

Won't ruin the rest of the game or anything for me, was just disappointing.

Edit: On a totally separate note for DR3, is it worth Beating the platforming minigame in chapter 2? I ended up just looking at the ending for Chapter 1 because the controls are just so loose for an IWBTG style platforming section, but I think Chapter 2 gives a similar reward or something?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2022

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The platforming minigame gives the same reward whenever you beat it, although there'll be less students present at the end based on who's already died in the preceding chapters.

It's not really worth the trouble.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So, Danganrompa 2 chapter 1. Holy poo poo. Wasn't ready for this. I'm probably going to use some online guidance because they ramped up the difficulty. I HATE the new Hangman's challenge. They don't start off slow like in the first one. They throw this stuff at you. I feel exhausted emotionally and mentally. I thought that 2 being darker than one was hyperbole but drat did that trial ending hit hard. I may go back to one and unlock all the social links.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Hangman's Challenge in DR2 is notably bad and horribly localized where the first clue you use it for has like 14 letters or some poo poo.

Honestly the best thing to do is just boost your focus so you can slomo all you want with it, that's the best way to get through it

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Hangman's Challenge in DR2 is notably bad and horribly localized where the first clue you use it for has like 14 letters or some poo poo.

Honestly the best thing to do is just boost your focus so you can slomo all you want with it, that's the best way to get through it

Also it seams like it's really hard to get any skills before the first trial.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hangman's Challenge in DR2 is the worst example of how the localization completely ignores the actual game mechanics/design in play. This is true everywhere in the trial minigames but especially in this one, because it isn't a very good game in the first place.

For comparison's sake, the shortest English HC solution is 7 letters, in the *last chapter*. Most solutions are longer than 10 letters long, some far longer than that. In Japanese, both solutions in the first chapter are 4 hiragana characters. Most in the game are between 3 and 7 characters (with a sort of rising difficulty as the game progresses) with one outlier in chapter 3 that is 11 characters long. The words are also carefully chosen to not have any repeating characters in them (even the 11-hiragana one, which is a feat), which is obviously not the case in English.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I never imagined 10 days from my 43 birthday I'd be grinding in a VA. Also in this one you have to give the more popular gifts as you go along right? This kind of encourages save scumming.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I've encountered a bug. I'm trying to get the final social on Byakuya but he always tells me he's busy no matter when I try and talk to him. Is this a common bug or is it just for this port? Any idea on how to deal with it? I really want his skill.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I've encountered a bug. I'm trying to get the final social on Byakuya but he always tells me he's busy no matter when I try and talk to him. Is this a common bug or is it just for this port? Any idea on how to deal with it? I really want his skill.

It might be a timing thing. Some characters just aren't available or won't advance for portions of chapters, in my experience at least

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It might be a timing thing. Some characters just aren't available or won't advance for portions of chapters, in my experience at least

He's not available in one's he previously was.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lammasu posted:

Without touching spoilers, you have not encountered a bug.

Slightly spoilery answer (nothing past chapter 1) You cannot complete Byakuya's route in chapter 1

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 19, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Reveilled posted:

Slightly spoilery answer (nothing past chapter 1) You cannot complete Byakuya's route in chapter 1

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Yeah this is what I was getting at, some characters are very much plot gated

On to case 3 in DR3, just about headed into the trial. My wild speculation: cosplay lady killed Angie, no clue who killed Tenko but it's obviously someone else with the rule introduction. I'm kind of thinking Kaito maybe but I've got no reason to suspect him. I've got my eye on Himiko though because she was closest to the middle room hole, but I suspect someone used the left room because it's pretty obvious I suppose. Also rip Tenko cause I hung out with her once this chapter and wanted to see the end of her arc

I'm gonna be mega disappointed if Maki is the blackened though because it seems way too obvious, I like her as a character, and also I'm rank 4 with her and want to finish the last link.

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 19, 2022