Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Senerio posted:

Final, unrelated note: I went to test an online dice roller, and I decided to roll D&D stats for Naegi to test it.

For people who don't play D&D, you drop the low number, and then the stat is that. 10-11 is a normal human. Naegi's stats are 11-11-11-11-10-15. Pretty average except for one thing which he is super at.

You forgot to add in racial abilities. We ARE playing 4th Edition, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Okay, I caved and watched a japanese playthrough of Dangan Ronpa. (Still going to follow the LP because I didn't see any of the inbetween the trials stuff)

I gotta say I'm both impressed and saddened at the direction that the game finished with. Sure, it was very compact and felt nice and finished... but I kind of wanted more. Luckily DR2 seems to be filling that void already I mean jeez look at that line-up!

Huge DR1 Spoiler: You're going to feel really dumb when the end-game comes around, DR LP Thread.

strawberrymacaron
Feb 14, 2012
Looking at the DR2 site update.

(DR 2 Spoilers) That SHSL Japanese Dancer has a cute smile like Chihiro, but she certainly has a rude mouth on her (if I'm reading that right). Hopefully the voice samples match up with the quotes, because I want to hear this.

That goes double for Gundam/Sugita.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Senerio posted:

Final, unrelated note: I went to test an online dice roller, and I decided to roll D&D stats for Naegi to test it.

For people who don't play D&D, you drop the low number, and then the stat is that. 10-11 is a normal human. Naegi's stats are 11-11-11-11-10-15. Pretty average except for one thing which he is super at.

It's almost as if he was a super high school level at something.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

strawberrymacaron posted:

Looking at the DR2 site update.
Yeah, just like with the first game, it looks like most characters won't act the way you expect them to. I was pretty surprised with Fukawa's attitude towards other people, since I expected her to be just another bookish emotionless girl. The same goes for Sakura, who turned out to be not muscle-headed at all.

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006

BFC posted:

Okay, I caved and watched a japanese playthrough of Dangan Ronpa. (Still going to follow the LP because I didn't see any of the inbetween the trials stuff)

This one YouTube account (was the playthrough axelsaga337's?) had most of the cut scenes and trials. I noticed after looking up and down on YouTube and Niconico that all the playthroughs where just of Chapter 1 and stopped there, even the most recently added ones. :smith:

As for DR2, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use the SHSL Entomologist. Even though, I really like the current kooky cast that we got.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

strawberrymacaron posted:

(DR 2 Spoilers) That SHSL Japanese Dancer has a cute smile like Chihiro, but she certainly has a rude mouth on her (if I'm reading that right). Hopefully the voice samples match up with the quotes, because I want to hear this.
I thought she looked like Junko myself, and if I read the character info correctly, she has a well-hidden cruel side, right? That sounds like a murderer or the culprit to me.

Space.Plant posted:

As for DR2, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use the SHSL Entomologist. Even though, I really like the current kooky cast that we got.
I would love to see that as well since I love bugs, but the current lineup is interesting enough.

(DR1 game mechanics below)
Some may have noted that Oren has given Ishimaru two childish present in the latest update, and it appears that some posters thought that it indicated that Ishimaru had a childish taste.

To prevent misunderstanding, I would like to clarify the present issue a bit. :rimshot:

For each student, the presents are divided into four classes: favourite, good, average and bad. Giving a favourite gift to a student would make it more likely for a Free Time Event to trigger.

The Japanese players have complied a list of response for every present, and it turns out that both the curry and the toy are only "average" gifts for Ishimaru. The curry is a "good" gift for Togami and Hagakure, while the toy is a "favourite" gift of Aoi and a "good" gift for Yamada and Chihiro.

Therefore, Ishimaru isn't really quite as childish as the gifts would suggest, but I approve of seeing the wacky gifts the Monomono machine offers, so here's to hope that we will see more of that for other characters as well.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 6, 2012

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
About a certain character in DR2: (Spoilers for both games)

I'm not sure that our new Byakuya Togami really is the same one as in DR1; possibly/probably his kid, or something like that. Given the state of the outside world in DR1, it's pretty unlikely that the school would be ready for normal use, let alone to have the same reputation as before in enough time for Togami to still be young enough to be in high school. Also, (they might have been lying, but) the mastermind did tell Togami that his family is pretty much gone. The new Byakuya Togami's profile mentions that the Togami family is prestigious and awesome and all that, so it'd probably have to be rebuilt-- and who better for that than the DR1 Togami, who was apparently pretty drat good at what he did?

Plus, it'd be almost too obvious for it to be the same Togami, it has to be a joke or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That would assume DR1 Togami managed to survive his first go around with someone willing to bonk him and have his kid- Syo, maybe? I'm sure Syo would be cruel enough to try test her son out in a trial like this, make him sink or swim.

That said, I don't think that Togami would ever allow something like that to pass. And besides, why would they decant these new kids (assuming they were in stasis) so many years later?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
With the prestige of his family, Togami would find more than enough women to procreate with after his escape, so it does not have to be Syo.

(DR1 spoiler below)

However, the reason I still think DR2 Togami is not DR1 Togami is that I read a news report on DR2, in which the game designer said that the DR2 cast will all have different talents from DR1. Therefore, it is obvious that DR2 Togami can't be SHSL Heir, and the SHSL Luck guy is not Naegi either.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
(DR1/2 spoilers, still.)

The talent was different, but it was pretty similar. Enough that it wouldn't be too strange for it to be a child/descendant of his.

Though it's hard to say who the mom would be. It's not like the guy has that much charm (and by the end of the first game, doesn't seem to have much of a financial leg to stand on, either).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

(DR1/2/Zero)

I'd bet it really is DR1's Togami, and also that there are cameos (or even larger roles) for the other DR1 survivors. What sets my They're Toying With Us sensor is Komaeda, where the trailers are a basically going "here's a character who wears a hoodie and is a SHSL Good Luck and has Naegi's VA and his name is an anagram of Makoto Naegi!!!" I smell a subversion.

I'm curious about the new protagonist, though. I've read pretty convincing speculation based on kanji manipulation on his name that he's Zero's mysterious Kamukuraizuru. That would make for a really cool endgame if Kamukura's abilities are as described in the book.

Also, the island's name has to have a deeper meaning. Is this a mirror universe?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Can I get a Face to Title post for SHSL new dude/ttes on the Characters Page?
Some of the people's titles are obvious, others are not.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

BFC posted:

Can I get a Face to Title post for SHSL new dude/ttes on the Characters Page?
Some of the people's titles are obvious, others are not.
Check this article, Oren's post lists them in the same order:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/31015393.html

orenronen posted:

DR2 newly announced cast, sans any DR1 spoilers:

SHSL Gymnast Akane Owari (Romi Paku)
SHSL Gangster Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu (Daisuke Kishio)
SHSL Photographer Mahiru Koizumi (Yuu Kobayashi)
SHSL Traditional Japanese Dancer Hiyoko Saionji (Suzuko Mimori)
SHSL Mechanic Kazuichi Souda (Yoshimasa Hosoya)
SHSL Princess Sonya Nevermind (Miho Arakawa)
SHSL Animal Trainer Gundam Tanaka (Tomokazu Sugita)
SHSL Nurse Mikan Tsumiki (Ai Kayano)
SHSL Gamer Chiaki Nanami (Kana Hanazawa)
SHSL Sports Team Manager Nekomaru Nidai (Hiroki Yasumoto)
SHSL Cook Teruteru Hanamura (Jun Fukuyama)
SHSL Swordswoman Peko Pekoyama (Kotono Mitsuishi)
SHSL Light Music Club Member Ibuki Mioda (Ami Koshimizu)

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

Check this article, Oren's post lists them in the same order:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/31015393.html
I'm still confused as to who the big ol' chains guy and the girl with horns are.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

BFC posted:

I'm still confused as to who the big ol' chains guy and the girl with horns are.

Chains guy is the sports team manager, horns girl is the light music club member.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

(DR1/2/Zero)

Also, the island's name has to have a deeper meaning. Is this a mirror universe?

(DR1/2 spoiler)
It is Jabberwock Island right? Given that DR1 cast members have their memory compromised, maybe the DR2 students are all placed in a dream machine and have a collective dream where death in dream = death in real life. This would fit the Lewis Carroll theme and the wacky names of the cast.

On the other hand, a mirror universe would allow DR1 mastermind to reappear, but I hope he/she would not show up again.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

The website is now updated with the old Famitsu screenshots and new character voices:
http://danganronpa.com/2/
They couldn't resist making a Goemon reference after all.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

They couldn't resist making a Goemon reference after all.

I must admit my knowledge about Goemon is limited -- what's the reference?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

I must admit my knowledge about Goemon is limited -- what's the reference?
In case I wasn't being clear, I meant Ishikawa Goemon from the Lupin III series, who often cuts inanimate objects with his trusty Zantetsuken and says また、つまらぬ物を斬ってしまった, "Once again I have cut a worthless object". You have most probably heard it cited more than once somewhere else.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

In case I wasn't being clear, I meant Ishikawa Goemon from the Lupin III series, who often cuts inanimate objects with his trusty Zantetsuken and says また、つまらぬ物を斬ってしまった, "Once again I have cut a worthless object". You have most probably heard it cited more than once somewhere else.

To my shame, I've never watched much Lupin III beyond Castle of Cagliostro. And that was a long time ago.

The amount of references in DR I'm completely missing is likely significant. Sigh.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm enjoying reading through this thread.

Even if...I can't read any of the black bars. :)

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

To my shame, I've never watched much Lupin III beyond Castle of Cagliostro. And that was a long time ago.

The amount of references in DR I'm completely missing is likely significant. Sigh.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, considering that you did recognize that obscure videogame reference.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Reading through the second game's screenshots, I noted that there is a new bar titled "Level <number>", which I assume is used to indicate the relationship level / number of Free Time Activity you have done with that student.

And that bar is present in a screenshot with Monobear as well. Does that mean we can talk with him in DR2? :aaa:

By the way, I came across high-quality pin-up arts of Syo and Ishida earlier today - now Oren can replace the phone-photos with these. :)

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

The new article on the Famitsu website describes the flow of the game. As you might expect, it's pretty much the same as in the first one.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201206/14016245.html
Keep it classy, Monobear.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Now I have some thoughts regarding the second game:

First, Monobear/the mastermind in DR1 has a very specific goal (inducing despair). If the DR2 mastermind do the same, it would be boring, but if not, how would he/she come across Monobear and get to use it?

Second, in order for the story to work, the author must think of a way to let students gather and interact daily, ie. keep the group from falling apart. In DR1, we had Ishimaru whose very "talent" would lead to ideas such as the breakfast gathering. None of the DR2 cast seems to be interested in doing similar stuff though. Maybe Togami will remember how useful the gatherings were in DR1 and start something similar? The SHSL Sports Team Manager is another option, as he would have the most experience in keeping morale high.

(DR1 ending spoiler below)
Third, the DR1 cast plus other students/staff/whatever were sent into the shelter/school for protection. In this case, what are this batch of students doing here? One may say they were unknowingly sent to the island by the school without their knowledge, but DR2 is set after DR1, so there would be no reason for doing so. Heck, if people know of an extra batch of Hope's Peak students stranded somewhere after DR1 transpires, I would say they will send rescue teams at once because ~*beacons of hope*~.

And I have two questions on DR1:
1. (ending spoiler) Has it been explained who restored the student cards of Kirigiri and Naegi? From DR/Zero, Naegi is indeed SHSL Good Luck, so why the title change? The mastermind would not have done so, and someone else has been using that new title (which I suspect to be both the DR2 protagonist and the mastermind), so the change cannot be made by the school either. :psyduck:

2. (Free Time event spoiler) Regarding Hagakure's line ("Friends are life's treasure") on the latest update, can someone check to see if it has the same wording as Ishimaru's parting words on his last Free Time event? It would make a nice subtle hint on the current timeskip + memory erase theory if it is the case (Hagakure heard that line from Ishimaru in past school life and now reusing it without remembering the origin).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

It seems like the only Famitsu news for today are the finalized packaging of the LE box and its illustration.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Are there a Monobear PSP case and two commemorative coins in the first picture?

And the illustration is interesting. SHSL Gamer in the middle... I don't think they will do the Maizono trick on the product packaging. She will either be the love interest or have a significant role in the overall plot. Still thinking that the main character is the mastermind though.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I bought last week's issue of Weekly Famitsu (the digital edition drops to 250 yen once a newer issue is released, so I usually just wait a week before I buy), and DR2 got 4 pages, including stuff not in the online articles. There's a nice large artwork of the entire cast in a classroom, and more new gameplay elements:

There's XP and leveling-up involved, useful in some way during the trial and attainable by communicating with the cast and also by doing other activities. The Student ID card has a tamagotchi-style digital pet you can raise, but again - they don't say to what end.

Stores in Japan now have dummy game packages on the shelves, and the backside apparently also mentions new trial mechanics: in addition to finding contradictions, there's now also "agreeing" and "countering", whatever that means.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I'm assuming trials this time around are a lot more debate-heavy? Not sure how to explain what I mean. Agreeing and countering with certain phrasing could lead to finding different answers to help solve the case. I recall in ONE screenshot the gymnast doing her own YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!! so if you mess up with your debates, there WILL be pentalies! ... Or so I think.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

There is also this image that covers some new mechanics, though it's still not as clear as I'd like it to be:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/428/428613/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

I'm assuming trials this time around are a lot more debate-heavy? Not sure how to explain what I mean. Agreeing and countering with certain phrasing could lead to finding different answers to help solve the case. I recall in ONE screenshot the gymnast doing her own YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!! so if you mess up with your debates, there WILL be pentalies! ... Or so I think.

This sounds very interesting if true. I wonder if the idea a couple people put forth about possibly changing the story/murders around could be true from what we know of these new mechanics.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

That would allow some interesting things. While orenronen did say alternative storylines are unlikely to happen, what if you can unlock certain scenes between trials by using a certain phrase in the trial? For example, a character come up to you and say, "hey, I remember you said <something> in the last trial, and I would like to talk more about that..."

That would make the trials tie in with the non-trial parts better as well.
It seems that most DR1 characters' reaction towards the trials during non-trial days are little more than "OMG this is terrible".

Possiblity 2: if you pick a particular phrase to counter an argument, you can trigger a special, extra-difficult debate phase which will net you extra Monobear coin/EXP.

By the way, has anyone speculated the fate for each DR2 student?

Jeek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 25, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volt Catfish posted:

This sounds very interesting if true. I wonder if the idea a couple people put forth about possibly changing the story/murders around could be true from what we know of these new mechanics.

I'm seriously hoping for this; with so many characters, and hopefully a lot of funding from a popular Dangan Ronpa (how well did it sell?), multiple endings could be affordable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait a second, is the (DR2) Sports Manager not a high-school student, then?

Because hrm if so.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I had that doubt as well, but the story hinges on everyone being irrational high school students - imagine how the DR1 story would collapse if, say, Ishimaru (the closest DR1 analogue to the Sports Manager) is actually an adult with all the experience and maturity associated with age.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

That last update kinda begs for a question: does Togami still consider himself to have perfect physique in DR2?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Togami is so full of himself that he will consider himself perfect even when blind, deaf and losing a limb or four. Plus who's to say it is not all muscles underneath like Ishimaru?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A wealth of new information today on the special Famitsu page on the new game, including much more details on the improved school trial system.

Also, the game's opening movie is on there. Also available on Youtube in 720p. It's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Very cool opening. Of course, what stuck out for me was the girl with the uncertain expression who had floating male and female symobls next to her. Chihiro all over again?

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 5, 2012