Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So this puppy has absolutely never been inside a house before today. Born under the deck, raised in the yard :banjo: but he's doing ok.

Playing in the yard definitely turns on his 'happy' switch, tethering makes him want to eat his leash, he has the fattest paws and likes to slap with them and so far, he seems to really enjoy being in a crate. Wife plopped him in there, he curled up and snoozed for about 2 hours. Play break in the yard, an hour tethered on the couch, potty break and now he's quietly chewing on a puppy nylabone in the crate again. :3:

All of our dogs are either gently saying hi or effectively ignoring him. Tonka however has no idea what to make of this thing. At all.

His name is Nori.

ETA: Holy crap, those are big sheep. :stare:

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

His father is a husky and his mom is some kind of husky mix from what we've heard. Mind you, the friend who rescued him knows jack poo poo about dogs, but his father is definitely a very dirty white husky. White turned blond from living in a dirt yard.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That puppy is godawfully adorable, but like I said man. That dog is gonna destroy your house. The cute ones always do.

This is revenge for me being one of the first to predict you were keeping Ires, isn't it? :colbert:

And I am reposting this picture from the closed thread because it is my current favorite.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

WolfensteinBag posted:

:neckbeard: Awesome puppy. :3: Looks more mal than husky in the face, either that or some kinda big LSG mixed in. :3: Either way I'm guessing he'll be large.

From what I can gather, having not seen the parents myself, the sire looks like this but skinnier and with ice blue eyes:

And the dam looks something like this, but with brown eyes and much smaller, only in the 35-40lb range:

So. Who the heck knows. He's probably mostly husky?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

Question is, what is a polite way to be HaHAAAno?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bear Rape posted:

I'm moving again within a few months and the place we're moving too has A YARD! :neckbeard:

Our dog really loves being outside, but won't go out on the balcony-porch thing we have now and acts really lethargic inside. Finally he can have some room to run around instead of just extra-long walks every day.
My boyfriend is considering adopting a senior dog that our current dog gets along with well once me move, too. He's been pining over a beagle for a while, and there's tons of older beagles that end up at the local rescue. Corbin has no issue with them, he seems to still dislike "in your face" hyperactive small dogs though.

I'm so excited about it. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a beagle we're getting for sure, but regardless it'll be a senior. :3:

That is all so awesome, yay for adopting older dogs!

And yes, I realize nothing obligates that we need to politely decline any furry adoption applications but still....I feel badly saying to things......rudely.

Anyhow, rest assured we will not let this puppy be harmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrstmpHn7k

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

Should we be exempt from this conversation? Because I think six dogs is our max comfort zone but, with a foster litter, we've had as many as 13 in the house at once.

I know it seems like a lot when you write it down but bear in mind that out of the five we own at this moment 3 of them are under 20 lbs (does Lucy even count as a dog?), one is under 30 lbs and the largest one is a comfortably medium-sized dog.

So it's not like we have 12 Maremma barreling around the house.

Coming clean, my wife does the bulk of the work and training but the dogs are HER passion; I love them and I couldn't bear to part with any that aren't fosters but I wouldn't say this is exactly how I envisioned it being lol. I handle most if not all of the cat care because she has allergies. So, if we take on more it will be mostly in line with what she thinks she can handle.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I don't think she'd really have sex with the dog. She has mutt right now who is purportedly her entire life. I'm just worried that the fur suit thing is an indication of her current emotional issues. I have had some red flags, including the statement 'A new dog may be what she needs to come out of this' that make me concerned that this girl isn't in the right head space to deal with a puppy.

Of course now there's talk of potentially keeping him. This may change over the course of the next few weeks when his prim breed traits bubble to the surface :suicide:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bash Ironfist posted:

No chihuahua's either, the trembling little monsters. :colbert:

No offense, but my Chihuahua is more athletic and dog like than any Boston I've ever met :colbert: And more quiet/well-behaved.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Doooo iiiitttt!!!! His "bad" traits won't come out until WELL after you decide you can't give him up. :haw:

I miss having a Shiba like dog. I just have a feeling he's going to be a lovely mix of "I need you here all the time, look at me, I'm awesome" and "What?! You thought I was going to listen to you?" Also, potentially enormous.

Breeds we will never seek to own (but would gladly home mixes thereof):
Labradors
Weims
Spaniels
AmBulls
Irish Setters
Most terriers
ETA: Any flatter faced than a boxer.
Most Spitz breeds-long double coats are not my wife's thing. She said she would only go for that much hair again if it were another Pyr.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

I actually like the look of most of them, just not a good personality match. I say this as Beas owner, the mutt who would gladly out-terrier any purebred if it meant killing something she could then eat. So take that as you will :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

:sigh: Are we keeping this puppy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yonb_GvJx8

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

WolfensteinBag posted:

Yeah, we got our cat after having Buddy and I'd been working with dogs for years. I definitely love her, and I'm glad we have her, but even before we got her I said she'd be the last cat I'd ever own.

Ok, so I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm seriously :f5: ing like mad over here. I finally went ahead and emailed Wildhaus a few days ago. :ohdear: I haven't heard back, but they're busy with little puppies and I wrote a lot to respond to. I'm just so anxious!

Yay! :hfive:

Y'know what's really surprisingly endearing? Tiny little wolf howls at 4am from a blanket nest inside a crate :3: Also, no accidents while we were at work today!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you. I came home to poopacalypse. Beau woke me up last night with the runs and every hour after that, causing me to sleep through my alarm and get to work a half hour late. I came back home two hours later to let him out and everything was fine, but two hours after that...

It was in my loving hair how did it get in my hair oh god

We had a foster last year pick up kennel cough while being boarded after his neuter. He came home and gave it to every dog in this house, despite their vaccinations.

Know what's fun? 7 dogs, including an elderly one going through cancer treatment, wandering around your house horking and spitting frothy yellow nastiness on white carpeting. Also, Last time Tonka got the runs all over our bedroom, Erica cleaned it, shampooed the rug and as she was letting the dogs outside, Tonka VOMITED the poo she ATE all over the wall and floor. So, yeah. Every poo free day is a blessing that ought to be celebrated.

I hope Beau feels better though, poor little dude. :(

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

WolfensteinBag posted:

If I'm looking for info on feeding puppies, do I look in the nutrition thread, or puppy thread?

Is there a good reason why you need to know that you should tell us? :D

Dark, because we had to take it from the hallway, but this is his fierce little noise....and his ears are deciding whether to stand or not :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPbiYvVriw

:razz:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Foxy posted:

Trendy everything name, really.

LowKey Lysmith is the best variation that I've seen, and I support all American Gods references. But for everything else? Yes we understand that you've read a Norse Wikipedia entry and think you're super mischievous and neat :rolleyes:

What it really implies is that their cat or dog or whatever is going to be into bestiality and father an eight-legged horse, a corpse woman, a giant snake and a wolf.

Does it count as bestiality if you're already a beast?

I mean, we have a Scylla and Charybdis in our family....and I thought it was cute :(

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Done and done, if/when we ever get another cat :v:

Well now you have a mission for next weekend ;)

We are having another Scylla and Charybdis reunion in about 2 weeks and it will be EPIC. Mostly because Chary has a brain the size of a watermelon seed and is bound not to remember her sister again and ba-ROOOOO for an hour.

And also because this will be the first time we meet Ghost, my sister in laws Sibe :dance:

So to recap we will have the following dogs in our house: Lucy, Guthrie, Bea, Quinn, Chary, Scylla, Ghost, Tonka and Nori. Plus 3 cats. Plus 7 people.

For an entire week. And also note that one dog is a pit and two are prims. This is going to be some kind of beach at Normandy-level dog wrasslin'.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Does it make you happy or sad that a potential Nori name was Fenrisúlfr, Fen for short?

tiddlez posted:

:aaaaa: how big is your house dude? One day i hope to have lotsa dogs aswell.

Not big enough! :suicide:

It's a 3 bedroom ranch style house on 2 acres, five minutes drive from the local walking path by the schools and fifteen minutes from the state park though so, even if the house itself isn't enormous, the dogs have room to exist. Sometimes we do too!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

We named the dogs after all kinds of random crap but growing up, my wife ran an impromptu hamster rescue as a teen. And for the next 7 years all hamsters were named after X-Men. Because why not. She also named her betta fish after musical duos like Jagger and Richards/Bono and The Edge.

Nori is well.....the girl who asked us to take him in had started calling him Chuck Norris. And we all agree that is an awful name but she begged us to keep it in some form. Nori was the most tolerable version we could figure.

And speaking of, we keep obsessively taking video of him and Tonka but I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Alrighty then.

Here is gratuitous battle footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDkTSQVwzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgh6-KAWGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQYDCHPtOo

He is such a bastard :3:

Anyone able to venture a guess on adult size yet? He's almost 9 weeks old.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

Because when I look for a new dog, I look for one with a perpetual 'stung by nest of wasps' face :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

WELL I POST THERE TOO SO.. so.. ...gently caress it, dog superiority! :hf:

I kind of hope we get a thread-for-every-breed-of-everything-ever kind of april fools day one year. PI would be 90 pages long.

You really ought to post there more often.

Nori is going to the vet to get jabbed with needles today, yay!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I think I need five of those.....right now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Foxy posted:

We need another herding thread so I can post a thousand pics of Spice. He's really slimmed down and is much more inclined to walk and romp around than he was when he was a CollieWhale.

We may take him to do a herding instinct test at the PacNW collie club's next meetup, so I need a venue for posting herding pics and I will make the drat thread myself if I have to.

Spiiiicccceeeeee piiiiiiiccccccsssssss! STAT!

Nori went for his very first vet appointment today. He literally slept through most of it, let everyone fuss over him, did not make any noise during his fecal, temp taking and the actual shots and he thoroughly enjoyed his de-worming.

The only downside was the morbidly obese corgi and seriously prey driven Dobe that kept lunging at some kittens in the adoption cage in the waiting room. And the Dobe's owner kept doing that stupid Cesar Millan 'TSST' at the dog. Who...was not reacting.

Waiting rooms are so dull

*YAWN* soooo boorrrrrinnnggg

His ears are trying so hard to stand up....

Also, I know 'sit' now.

And Tonka knows 'down'

Prevailing opinion from the vet staff is that Nori looks like a husky/GSD and the he will be incredibly enormous as an adult. Joy!

Edit: wrong pic

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 31, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not only is that puppy going to weigh 110 pounds, he's also going to shed like crazy AND he's going to have jowls so he drools all over everything after having a drink. And he'll live to be 35.

Wife owned a Great Pyrenees for 13 years. :colbert:

Also, bite me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

^^^^^^^ :gonk: ^^^^^^^
Different culture and all but the thought of eating dogs is just so....bleh

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

My friend's new puppy came over tonight to hang out and pick up the jacket I made her. Gary was the grumpiest old man. :3: My friend has her pup and another one that she's fostering. The foster had to be taken away from his littermate because he was bullying him. Luckily her pup Chloe and her other dogs are teaching him manners.

Gary followed them around while making sure they didn't use any of his stuff, then retreated to the couch and watched them mournfully.

And because this type of post is useless without pics, here is a picture of Chloe in her jumper.

Why aren't all your pets in jumpers? All the time? This is important.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

I was waiting for it too. :ohdear: Anyway...

This gorgeous dog is Nona. I see her in the park sometimes and I am going to steal her because her owner, despite being a very nice fellow, exercises her by letting her out of the truck (with no collar) and making her run after the truck around the road in the park. :(

Steal that dog so fast that the idiot won't even have time to hit the brakes on his truck before he notices she's gone.

Not really but still. Why is he asking for that pretty dog to get lost or killed any day now?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

Happy birthday, Kiya. :3:

I have no idea. Mind you this is a pretty public park, so she's whizzing around curves past pedestrians, other dogs, cyclists... It's a two-lane road, a one-way lane for traffic and the other land for people/cyclists, so at least she doesn't have two-way traffic to watch out for, but still... I remember she came whizzing by me so fast one day, she was hauling rear end after that truck. Seemed like she may even enjoy it. But it's still stupid as all fuckin' hell and makes me sad.

Tell the dude to get a loving bike and hitch the drat dog to it, godsake.....

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

I can see the resemblance, though Shadow certainly has a bigger snout I think.

That is a dashing young accountant you have there!

Hi, my name is Nori. My ears are up all the time now.

I'm kind of a big deal. :smug:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Aravenna posted:

Whatever you just did was apparently very stupid, in Nori's opinion.

Well five minutes after that, he sat in his own poo. So I say we're even. :colbert:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

SusiePhone posted:

I don't post here often, but I'd like to share the picture my Mum sent of her neighbours new rescue dog, Minstrel.

That is all.

Gads, that's cute.

Bea and the puppy have made friends, which means long term wrestling and short term humping. Because Bea likes 'em young :pedo:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

We have been invaded. The puppy is their favorite thing. He wasn't sure how to feel about that at first.

HI BABY DOG PLEASE BE MY FRIEND

I know I try to play with you by slamming you with my gigantic paws but you really should enjoy that, right?

This one has the madness in him.....

Oh yes, definitely 'murder eyes'

Guthrie is so over having guests and puppies in his house.

Now, Nori initiates the rough play then high-tails it away once he realizes what he's done :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bash Ironfist posted:

A Pitbull's face changes pretty dramatically when you pull their lips back. Them teeth are serious business.

Same could be said of most any dog breed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bash Ironfist posted:

True. But I think a chihuahua wouldn't look as menacing as a pit bull.

I wouldn't cross her.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

We actually use frozen veggie bits for training treats w/our dogs. When Tonka was at our instructors house for a lesson, Erica had chopped green beans in the treat pouch and Pam had chopped hot dogs. Tonka went equally ape-poo poo for both options; all the dogs do. It's so :3:

And she has been happily accepted in to her new home for a couple of days now. Her owner, Joe has reported that she is the snuggliest dog he has ever met and is a million times more well-trained than he expected. Now he just needs to get her further down the road for her CGC and she can come to work with him every single day and run around fields/hiking trails with a ton of children!

Here is a horrible cell phone pic of their first meeting:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know if I should be posting this in here or the primitive breeds thread but anyhow,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdYBi8meuPw

He likes to do battle with and then nap on the air conditioning vents.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

^^^^^Haha, yes!^^^^^

I think you need this dog. Go get him :colbert:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Azrael Alexander posted:

Is the black pup a Newfie?

edit: oh my god oh my god oh my god

All time it was the noble Amstaff who came first. I'd love to know how they bred the blue out of them. :allears:

At....at least they made a point to explain that breed has and should always be perfectly gentle and safe to handle for humans.....that's....something....right?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

He looks like a perfect mix of pug/pei to me. Like if you asked someone to draw such a mutt that would be the result.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Superconsndar posted:

I'd rather harness them both to the chariot, with Frankie in front of Moses, and just point at Frankie and tell Moses to get it.

Would you ever be able to rein him in after an invitation like that? Or do you expect he would drop after the first Frankie-fart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

She has no idea what's in store for her when this puppy grows up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAssdnXJHFM

Incoming derp!

Why can't we just have one normal dog? :catstare:

• Locked thread