Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Oh my god Ian, that loving puppy :neckbeard:

Savannah was also born in a pen and never went inside a house until we took her, and she settled in without a hitch too. You guys are awesome for taking him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
:catstare: Seriously, they couldn't loving type PENIS more than once?

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Dream dogs: ALL THE SIGHTHOUNDS. Well, greyhounds and salukis especially, afghans, whippets, deerhounds. I have a fascination with Azawakhs. And I love giant breeds, especially Irish wolfhounds and Danes. The short lifespans would break my heart but if I ever had the chance, I don't think it would stop me. :unsmith:

gently caress NO dogs: anything that's really high energy/high intensity because that would drive me insane. Brachy breeds. Just not interested in labs, retrievers, lhasas, cocker spaniels, probably more but I'm forgetting...I'm picky about dogs I guess? Although I never thought I'd be interested in dachshunds or chihuahuas, and yet my dog is a mix of those two and I'd never give her up, so. :v:

Bash Ironfist posted:

Oh god I want a Sphinx so bad. Those posts of Hex make me go :allears: when ever I see them. That video of Hex being slapped around is amaazzinngg.

Sphynx are the only cats I would have, if I were ever gonna have cats. I love their hairless wrinkly selves. Probably not enough to deal with litterboxes, though, so I will happily remain catless. (unless I got a magical Sphynx who could use the toilet, because no cat hair and no litterbox? Sign me the gently caress up)

Neena fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 25, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

El Gar posted:

The only dog I would get at this point would be a Papillon but whenever I think about having to put my hand in a plastic sack and pick up the dog poop and feel the warm dog poop through the thin plastic I throw up and I probably will never get a dog.

This is the same visceral reaction I have when I think about scooping litter boxes. Never again. Luckily neither me nor my boyfriend are cat people.

^^Edit, again; :barf: Jesus christ you guys. More random animal nonsense: When I grab poo poo, it tends to smoosh outward through my plastic-covered fingers

Neena fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not really. One of the other big dog owners will probably say the same thing. The little dog pick up bags are too small and it's always a mess. It's like using a plastic beach shovel to muck out a horse stall. Even Foxy's collie requires two of those little bags and that's a collie.

I kinda wish I had a super strong robot hand because it'd be cool, as long as I didn't have to lose my other hands/feet for it.

Why the hell would you keep using the little poop bags after the first time poo poo squished out of them and onto your hands

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
So I gave Savannah a grape last night, and she was so excited about it that she sat in my lap and held it in her mouth for fifteen minutes. :downs:

Neena fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 15, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Well drat. Mom used to give our old dog frozen grapes all the time :( On the plus side, that's maybe the third or fourth grape she's had in two years (I am stingy as hell with my fruit).

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Skizzles posted:

ATTN: Kerfuffle. You know you want this canvas tote.

I have some other bags I wanna get rid of too.

"Obey the Dachshund" yellow messenger bag.

"The Chinchilla Club" canvas tote.

Delta Society yellow messenger bag. I have two of these.

Newfie love canvas tote.

Cheesy/kitschy Cocker Spaniel yellow messenger bag.

Seriously if any of you guys want these I'd only charge shipping. They were found in the storage at my shelter.

edit: vvv I knew only PI would appreciate their delightful tackyness.

Haha, I think I need that dachshund one.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
He came and got you, oh my god :kimchi: Your chickens are so awesome.

A poor sick dog (you can even see her pill bottles on the table behind her):

My boyfriend came home yesterday to Savannah puking all over the living room. :( We took her to the vet, all of the tests came back normal except she was dehydrated and had elevated glucose(?) levels. I'm not sure what caused it, but now she has charcoal tablets, antibiotics, and EN food until her system calms down.

And I ran over a nail at some point yesterday. It was the best day ever.

Fake edit: I do love how she likes to sleep on the back of the couch like a cat

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Oh Super :negative: Good luck, what a lovely situation.

What the gently caress is going on with this can of EN? :gonk:

And of course the drat vet's office is closed tomorrow.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
My boyfriend and I kinda have a Dog Voice we use with Savannah, but moreso we just call her a million stupid nicknames. These include Pupperson (most popular), pupperton, pupperlump, catterson (because she lays on the back of the couch like a cat, + pupperson...shut up), Savannah Q. Pupperson, and therefore SQP, miss banana, puppypants, fluffbutt, flufferson...basically if you can tack something on to -son, we will do it and use it do address the dog. Why? :iiam:

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Rufus En Fuego posted:

This. Sometimes I gently tug on the toehairs until they spread their toes so wide that I can reach on in and fiddle with their bones. :3: Rufus used to lay on his back and let me give him foot massages. The absolute best. :3:

Oh god, I do this to Savannah. She has webbed feet, and I love playing with them and wiggling my fingers in between her toes :kimchi: Toe webbies are the best thing ever. She mostly tolerates it but sometimes she gets annoyed with me. And I also love sticking my fingers into the middle of kitty paws.

Also since I'm only ever on the app these days-Skizzles, I got the package several days ago! Loved the drawing and the bag is getting a ton of use already. Thanks :)

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Invalid Octopus posted:

Guess where my uncle's girlfriend wants to get a puppy from? DiamondDoodles!. They have a problem with the phrase "puppy mill".

:suicide: Do you think your uncle would be able to talk her out of it, or is she already at the "picked out a puppy, fell in love, full steam ahead fucko!!!" stage?

In similarly awesome news, Savannah's mother might be pregnant again! (Brief background for anyone who doesn't remember; bf's aunt escaped an abusive husband, moved back in with extremely country parents who wouldn't let her keep her [intact, of loving course] dogs in the house, male dog got into female dog's pen and boom puppies. Savannah was the last of them and we agreed to take her.) I really, genuinely thought they had loving spayed Gretchen after this, but apparently not! And of course, they probably never took any of them to the vet at any point, but this is a seriously redneck area so who knows if the vet even would've suggested it (not a slam on vets, more a commentary that responsible pet ownership is not an easy thing to get people to do in Bumfuck, North Georgia). Anyway, Homer got into Gretchen's pen again recently. Let's just hope she wasn't in heat.

Oh, and it might be worth noting that these dogs stay outside in a pen (well, chained out in front of it in Homer's case) year loving round. A chihuahua and a dachshund. I think she has strong-armed her parents into letting them be crated inside at night during the winter. Family :negative:

Neena fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 22, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Oh god mickeymickey, I am so sorry, that's horrible. :smith: I wish I knew anything else to say other than I'll be thinking about you and your fiance, and Rory. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Arrrrrgh Savannah has fleas. :bang:

We'd been lazy with applying her topical stuff (Vectra 3D) because she was on Sentinel for heartworm and fleas, but last month when we went to the vet, they were out of Sentinel (and the lady kinda looked at me funny and was like "Well if she's an indoor dog and doesn't spend a bunch of time outside she doesn't really need that!! Heartgard will be fine!") So we got Heartgard, and dosed her with that, but didn't think to do the Vectra at the same time. We noticed she was getting itchy the last couple days and put the Vectra on her last night, and today I found and killed two fleas on her belly. ARGH I'm a loving moron.

Luckily, our floors are tile and the couches she hangs out on all the time are leather, so I'm hoping we don't have a full-on infestation. If we applied the Vectra last night, how fast can it be expected to kill the fleas? The packaging says it kills them within 6 hours, but there were two live ones on her tonight. But, she is small so she only got the back of the neck dose, so maybe it takes a bit longer if you only apply it in the one spot or something. I also flea-combed her and didn't get any more, but she is super fluffy, so it's difficult to say.

We're washing her bed and blankets with some bleach now, I need to vacuum the area rug next. And it's almost time for her heartworm dose again so I may just go back to the vet and get Sentinel again. Would her being on Sentinel also help with any fleas still hanging around, if we don't manage to get them all? I've only seen them on her, of course, but I know that doesn't mean they're not laying eggs somewhere.

And here, have a rare picture of Savannah and her outdoor kitty friend:

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Savannah is a cutie. :3: She looks like my parents' neighbor's dog, Sophie. Does Savannah have green eyes? Sophie does--I've never seen a dog with green eyes before, they're very striking. Well, I say green, but I guess they're more of a hazel. I've only ever seen the usual brown/blue on dogs.

Aww, thanks! :) No, she has dark brown eyes. Green does sound very striking- I love cats with those beautiful green eyes, I bet Sophie is really pretty.

Savannah does have red eyelashes, though, exactly the color of her fur. :3: I don't know why that's so cool to me, I guess I never really thought about dog eyelashes before I owned her.

(I have red hair similar to her color fur though, so occasionally I get people asking if I color-coordinated on purpose. I guess there are people out there who would do that but uh, no.)

E: Instant Jellyfish, sorry to hear that :( Bad things need to stop happening to PI animals, dammit.

Neena fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 29, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I was home sick today so I tortured the dog by making peanut butter crackers on the couch. Right next to her.

Guess what you can do? 1, Deal with it and 2, LEAVE IT.

Dog status: sighing deeply

Also, all lady dogs are Miss Ma'am. All young male dogs are Bud or Buddy, and all old male dogs are Mister, sir, or old man. Puppies are pup-pup or pupkins. Or,

Pew! Pew! posted:

-How to tell you're from the southeastern US in 3 easy steps.

Basically.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
:swoon: That sounds delicious, I've never had that one. Usually I go for their Dark Chocolate Dreams if I want a decadently sweet one, but next time I'll have to try that instead.

Savannah loves peanut butter but she usually only gets the super-plain no sugar added stuff, and rarely at that, because she has a picky princess sensitive stomach. Sucks to be you dog, peanut butter owns :(

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I've never done PISS but I think I'm going to this year! I love shopping for gifts :) And ooh the nail polish secret Santa sounds kinda awesome too. I might be a little obsessed with nail polish though. Unforunately (or not, depending on your perspective) Savannah's toehawks are way too long to make painting her nails practical, they'd get all gummed up with polish before it dried :(

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Dog on feet

Y'all, let me tell you how much I love my vet. Yesterday was 24 hours of Savannah having diarrhea, so I left work early and made a last-minute appointment. We got to see the owner of the clinic (owner? head vet? I'm actually not sure, but w/e), and he's loving awesome. He's straight-up about everything, listened and answered my million questions, and also talked in general about her health and gave lots of advice instead of just treating the issue we were in for (which would have totally been valid, it's just awesome that he was willing to spend more time). And a vet FINALLY said she needs to lose about 2 pounds, which was the only thing that was going to get my boyfriend on board the doggy weight loss train, THANK YOU JESUS.

And all of that was pretty good and I was feeling much more reassured than I normally do when we go to the vet, and then as he was having her pills split up and talking to me about everything, he whips out a business card and gives me his personal cell phone numbers in case she starts vomiting or going downhill. I've had some hit or miss experiences with other vets in the office, but every time we've happened to see the head guy, it's just been standout. I'm gonna ask for him in the future. And Savannah will hopefully be fine, she got some meds and some GI food to have until her stomach calms down.

And here, have some pictures from last week of a bad dog who rolled in poop at doggy daycare and had to have a bath when we got home and was very <:mad:> about it

(Forgive the rug, we vacuumed it this weekend)

Her butt had a cowlick for several days.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

notsoape posted:

At this point we are running out of PI dogs who don't have problems with their hind legs :smith:

I'm super paranoid about Savannah's hind legs/back because of the dachshund thing :(

Edit: ^^dear god, LOG and Trophy are great.

Neena fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 24, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I handed out candy with a glowing arc reactor strapped to my chest :3: (I got a kit from a costume forum about three weeks ago and my boyfriend and I put it all together, I'll post pics later. It came our pretty awesome.) It was funny watching the reactions, I think my favorite was from a little kid in a Master Chief helmet who said "nice Tony Stark heart". We got a pretty good number of kids for our neighborhood, but maybe only 50 or so total.

Savannah got to wear her Batman costume, but she hates people knocking on the door and kind of hates kids, so my boyfriend stuffed treats in her mouth and by the second group she was silent. She only lost it after that when he wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't distract her first. I was proud of her, though :)

From over the weekend at our Halloween party:

And I do have a picture of the arc reactor by itself

Neena fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 1, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

2tomorrow posted:

I took my pack down to my partner's house for trick-or-treaters (because I never get to hand out candy, the downside of rural living) and they did really well. Best moment was when Bandit was sitting in the doorway as I handed candy to a group of 3 or 4 kids (my partner has a glass storm door so the kids were safely protected from the landshark while still being able to see him) and after getting his candy this little boy crouched down to look directly at Bandit and started making this high pitched whining noise. His dad was like, "What are you doing, buddy?" The answer? He was saying thank you to Bandit in dog language. :3: Same kid thought Bandit was dressed up for Halloween and kept calling him "the bandit" after I told them his name.

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely adorable :kimchi:

Re: diy-neuterchat, I remember a giant internet shitstorm years and years ago because some chick neutered her rat at home with a pair of scissors and then proudly told everybody about it (I can't remember what forum/site though). There were even pictures. It was pretty horrible. :smith: I want to say the rat got an infection, too.

notsoape posted:

What was everyone's favourite PI era

I think mine was 06-08, I kinda miss all the screeds about ~bybs~ and ~~norwegian forest cats~~ and ~~~afghan hounds~~~ not gonna lie :smith:

The DVangel Years were pretty great

Neena fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 1, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Superconsndar posted:

Conformation showing was, at one time, the pinnacle of dogdom in PI and conformation breeders were the best breeders and well, work was okay I guess but most working breeders are BYBs so it is best to get a show dog and support truly responsible breeding only. It was also full of show ladies.

Then poo poo changed and the show ladies either wisened the gently caress up and became spergy workin dawg ladies, or they threw shitfits and ran away/ragequit, much like their show dogs would in a working environment :smug:

GET THE RAT :allears:

I didn't know Skye terrier caterpillardogs existed before PI. The drama between Solana and Super and the sighthound people was pretty great though. ~stubbs~

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Superconsndar posted:

Me, Frankie, and Moses hung out with Maso's (sucks to ur assmar) beezers irl once :cool:

Wind Hounds

Holy poo poo. As my grandmother used to say, good god, Gertie, what a gash :haw:

I kind of envied all the sighthound people, tbh. I love sighthounds. Beezers and salukis and afghans :swoon:

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Superconsndar posted:

Sighthounds are pretty but I just don't really get them. They just kind of stand there going o__________________o and not really doing anything.

The :spergin: of the dog world

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Oh gently caress Pew Pew, I am so sorry. :smith: What a nightmare.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Yeah no kidding, those Ritter marzipan bars are loving delicious. Dogs. :mad:

(Glad Major is okay though :3:)

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I found out today that my coworker's dog stole and ate a $300 activity monitor that she was testing for work. Well, more chewed than ate whole or anything, but still. We haven't tried downloading its data yet but he might have cracked the plastic so badly that the circuit board is shot. Dogs. :v:

I have these things and other expensive GPS devices laying around my house all the time, luckily Savannah is too short to reach most of the tables. She's actually pretty good about most stuff except paper towels and unplugged laptop cords, thankfully.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Neena posted:

Yeah no kidding, those Ritter marzipan bars are loving delicious. Dogs. :mad:

(Glad Major is okay though :3:)

wtftastic posted:

Hopefully the worst he gets is a case of the shits (and I don't even have to clean it up)! Its either Ritter Sport Marzipan or Luebecker. Luebecker is much more expensive though.

Jesus, I only just now realized I used the completely wrong name in that post. :doh: Getting my cattledogs mixed up, apparently...

And Savannah's been pretty good this week, other than being a little whiny in the mornings. Of course now having said that, she is going to gobble up something completely inappropriate and usher in Thanksgiving Poopocalypse while my boyfriend's mom is staying with us.

Superconsndar posted:

Okay I gotta hop on the Bad Dog bandwagon too. Today I let Moses in from outside and he matter-of-factly marched to the puppies room, where the puppy was sleeping in his crate, lifted his leg, and PEED THROUGH THE BARS on to him. Left, jumped on my bed, acted like he was totally justified and didn't want to hear it when I was like "WHAT THE gently caress." Just glared at me like I was a giant turd and started gazing through the window, looking for cats.

Can't stop laughing at this. I love Moses, what a shitlord.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Pew! Pew! posted:

I've heard ~stories~ of idiots that want a badass dog getting a shelter pit or staffy and getting into "MY DOG COULD BEAT UP YOUR DOG" arguments but as for the organized stuff, of course not.

I've considered getting a random shelter pit bull in the past but that would've been playing a doggy Russian Roulette considering Corbin had a really nervous temperament. Don't know if I'd consider it now or not. I was planning once I got a house to get a beagle since Corbin didn't seem to mind hounds or puppies at all. Now, I'm just like NO MORE DOGS EVER but I have a feeling in a year or two I'll reconsider since I don't really expect if I have my own house that poison will be on the property or something stupid like that (because as it turns out, the maintenance workers left some out there but didn't inform the property managers who in turn didn't inform pet owners, so it's turning into a legal thing now).

e: I kind of just rambled off on that one whoops but yeah turns out that whole thing wasn't malicious which is great but it still sucks that no one informed anyone else HEY WE'RE GONNA PUT RAT POISON ON THIS REAL POPULAR WALKING TRAIL.

Good luck dealing with all this, it's so lovely. :( At least it wasn't malicious, but negligence is nearly as infuriating. I'm also just boggling at putting rat poison OUTSIDE, where any other animal could ingest it too. Is it really worth that to kill some rats? :psyduck:

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Superconsndar posted:

Frankie slipped his collar when my stepdad was taking him out at lunch and I can't find him. He did not call me to tell me so that I could leave work and has been missing since lunch time. I have spent the past 3 hours knocking on doors and yelling through this, and the surrounding neighborhoods and crying. He has no tags on without his collar. He would come if he could hear me. He is chipped but what if someone gets him and doesn't get him scanned. Someone had to get him, he would come if he could hear me.

I don't know where Frankie is, you guys.

Frankie no!! :ohdear: I'm so sorry, Super, I really hope you find him. I would be flipping the gently caress out too. And holy poo poo your stepdad is terrible. I would say I can't believe he wouldn't call you, but from what you've said about your parents, I totally can.

Good luck :(

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I'm so glad he's back! What a huge relief. I'm sorry your parents suck so much, but at least it's only one more day.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I'm so sorry to hear about Husker, Razorbunny. :( He had a good run, though. He was always one of my favorite PI dogs.

We're going out to grab groceries and dinner, and when we get back I'm gonna let Savannah and Poppy open their PISSmas presents. And my PISS package is going out tomorrow! :woop:

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
:cripes: I think I made a good story for my vet to tell today. Savannah's lost a few pounds over the last month or so, and a couple weeks ago we felt a hard lump on her side. I thought it was part of her ribs and didn't think too much about it, but then one of our friends was over and petting her, and pointed out it was only on one side so maybe it wasn't just her ribs after all!! So I finally made an appointment to get it checked out just in case. Vet walked in, felt around, said, "that right there?" "Yeah" "That's a rib :haw:"

It's me, I'm that pet owner. :downs: To be fair, it was really pointy and noticeable, and only on one side, and I'd rather be overly cautious than not. We finally got her microchipped while we were there too, so it wasn't a total waste, but man I kinda feel dumb.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

notsowelp posted:

The opposite of 'cool headed and rational response' is not 'commit assault'.

It's almost like she knows that:

Pew! Pew! posted:

Yeah, I understand why I was fired, but it helped me realize I'm just not cut out for this particular job. If charges are pressed I totally understand that too, and I'm willing to accept the punishments for either. I should have definitely not resorted to physical violence even in that situation, but it all happened pretty quickly and I really wasn't thinking, out of anger.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
No, no that's the best trick. :colbert:

Seconding video. Vecna is so handsome.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

skoolmunkee posted:

In my experience they never went like that, they went like this:

DJ_Ferret posted:

I work at Amazon. Dogs are allowed in the office, and this puppy now lives 20 feet away from me 8 hours a day. He's sleepy and adorable and has smooshable ears and his name is Kenny.

Both of these posts make me absurdly happy. :kimchi:

My boss brings her elderly golden in sometimes and it's awesome to take a dog break every now and then.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Bash Ironfist posted:

You could always bring it up to the landlord, let them know what's going on, and how you make sure that your dogs aren't pooping on other peoples land.

We got yelled at by a dude with a skullet about our dog tearing up his plants. Feldman sniffed a flower which I guess means they're diseased. :iiam:

Well, to be fair, he was probably at least thinking about eating it. :solanadumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Triangulum posted:

James Moses, the Westminister judge of the GSDs, Collies, and Aussies, has been accused of being super biased in the BOB GSD judging.
Behold, the most infuriating article ever.

quote:

He and his wife, Janet Lange Moses, live with more than 20 dogs, including Millie, a Shih-poo, a mix between a Shih Tzu and a poodle, whom they bought from a pet store.

20 dogs, jesus christ :psypop: I love that they have a puppy mill designer dog too!

Neena fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread