Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

TVs Ian posted:

So this puppy has absolutely never been inside a house before today. Born under the deck, raised in the yard :banjo: but he's doing ok.

Playing in the yard definitely turns on his 'happy' switch, tethering makes him want to eat his leash, he has the fattest paws and likes to slap with them and so far, he seems to really enjoy being in a crate. Wife plopped him in there, he curled up and snoozed for about 2 hours. Play break in the yard, an hour tethered on the couch, potty break and now he's quietly chewing on a puppy nylabone in the crate again. :3:

All of our dogs are either gently saying hi or effectively ignoring him. Tonka however has no idea what to make of this thing. At all.

His name is Nori.

ETA: Holy crap, those are big sheep. :stare:

PI ship me this puppy. Start the new thread off right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Levitate posted:

How come your dog always looks stoned

Feels good man

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I own my own two dream breeds, Pomeranian and Rough Collie. What :smug:

fine the collie belongs to my girlfriend whatever gently caress you

Other than that?
Another Pom
Another Collie
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Chihuahua mutt

ETA: also my pom is smaller than your useless flat faced farting machine, Bash, and he still gets walked 20-30minutes and goes for 1-4 hour outdoor hikes and excursions once a week, you are doing it wrong hth

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 25, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Cannot handle the noise of Beagles/hounds, do not like the derf of Labs, do not like the look of Lhasa/Shih Tzus, Boxers, or any Spaniels.

Really just unreasonably dislike all Labradoodles. I just hate 'em. Don't need a reason.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Radio! posted:

All cats.

Actually I desperately want a Sphinx, but I'll probably never get one because my first choice will always be a senior/sick cat from the shelter.

RazorBunny has it right! Sphinxes show up in rescue periodically, and especially in the Portland area. Hex is a rescue, Mogwai was a craigslist rehoming find, and so was my mom's friend's sphinx Roswell. Do not give up hope, contact the local breed club!

Speaking of naked pussy, after having experienced Hex, I would totally get another Sphinx. I am a naked cat convert. I'd even buy one from a breeder, even though the spergy part of me freaks out inside over it and it would probably make me gayer. Cats~

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

El Gar posted:

If I had gotten a Whopper for my 7th birthday I'd have been pretty pissed even if it was a double. Just goes to show you how dumb dogs are really when you think about it.

The only dog I would get at this point would be a Papillon but whenever I think about having to put my hand in a plastic sack and pick up the dog poop and feel the warm dog poop through the thin plastic I throw up and I probably will never get a dog.

Small dog turds are less warm and squishy than large ones because the creature emitting them has no soul.

Cleaning up after Keeper is like picking up deer pellets. Cleaning up after Spice requires two hands, two bags and a deep sense of intrinsic wrongness.

I don't know how you giant dog people can live your lives.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

El Gar posted:

This is extremely nice to hear, you made my day. Thank you.

I can tell you more about dog poo poo, don't worry. I know as a cat person your life is lacking in this area and I want to help you.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I think that's a circumstance where I would just leave it.

Give me the god drat fine, I'm not picking that up.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Trendy everything name, really.

LowKey Lysmith is the best variation that I've seen, and I support all American Gods references. But for everything else? Yes we understand that you've read a Norse Wikipedia entry and think you're super mischievous and neat :rolleyes:

What it really implies is that their cat or dog or whatever is going to be into bestiality and father an eight-legged horse, a corpse woman, a giant snake and a wolf.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Does it count as bestiality if you're already a beast?

I mean, we have a Scylla and Charybdis in our family....and I thought it was cute :(

Other deities/pantheons are underrepresented, underrated and too awesome. I love Scylla and Chary!

Everyone is just into the Norse pantheon right now because of Thor/the Avengers and its not doing nearly enough justice to the amazing sagas and poems of that period to name your chihuahua/etc after a frost giant god. Thor and Odin are also way overused.

I'm all about using mythology names, but hell, think outside the box.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Technically, didn't Loki mother Sleipnir? I seem to recall that was a gender-swap thing. Not that I read Wikipedia or anything. :colbert:

Also, I had a cat named Bella solely because she was beautiful, only to find in the last few years that people assumed it was a Twilight reference. :(

You're right, he changed into a mare, seduced a stallion and birthed Sleipnir the Eight-Legged, who became Odin's horse, so Odin was effectively riding around on his nephew.

I...I honestly don't know what gender term to use there.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Fraction posted:

I am a total Greek Gods geek. Lola was so very nearly Lyssa, and if I get a female Patterdale in a couple years I'll probably call her Eris. I think it'd be fitting :v:

Seconding the love for Scylla and Chary (and Kiri's Psyche too).

Greek pantheons are also way overrepresented because they're also very present in media, like the Norse. People also mix up Greek and Roman pantheons and give no fucks about it.

Example: Hercules = Roman name, Herakles = Actual Greek name

Yes I studied classical mythology in my undergrad once I burned out on animal behavior, what of it :colbert:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

RAAAAAAAGE ITS FREYJA NOT FREYA

Actually, that's kind of fitting, because she's almost always depicted with huge bare rear end titties.

And both spellings are technically correct, just one's from the original sagas, and the other is a German mistranslation, which makes myth geeks rage so hard

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Does it make you happy or sad that a potential Nori name was Fenrisúlfr, Fen for short?

:3:

Don't put your hand in his mouth.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

One of my mom's friends growing up outside Boston in her all-Sicilian neighborhood was named Fortunado Testudo. 'Fortunado' means fortunate or lucky, and 'testudo' actually means head or skull, but everyone always called him Lucky Balls.

Someday I will have an intact male animal named Lucky Balls.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Fraction posted:

Slightly different but I'd really loving love a terrier named Puck, except for the possible fallout from hollering PUUUUCKKKKK across a field.

FUUUUUUUCCKKK is always appropriate to yell at a terrier.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Your cats name is Trophy.

That being said, dogs named Loki disappoint me by not shapeshifting or attempting to rape their half-sisters.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

There's literally always been a trend to name animals Loki. I remember three from my childhood alone; it's not a recent thing, just exacerbated by the movies.

I think it's overused and I kind of grimace when I hear overused names because there are so many more awesome names out there, but it's okay by me, name your dogs whatever you want.

Personally, I would've picked Tyr and Baldr. Or Huldr and Jotunn. Loki's a tool and Thor is super boring.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I named Keeper after Emily Bronte's famous beloved Mastiff, who mourned her death by refusing to leave her bedroom door.

It has imbued little to no nobility or weight of character on him because he is a dog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

AcetylCoA! posted:

Frau Blucher.

NEEEEIIIIIIGHHHH

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Chido posted:

My chickens are have goon-inspired names, or food. My chickens are lame :(

Nothing is lame about naming a rooster Roostroyer. Nothing.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

My dad's dog was named Zeus, originally, when he was owned by a French girlfriend of my uncle's, but she yelled after him so much that when she left him with Dad, he renamed him Zoot, which means 'drat it' in French.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Bailey and I met a nice Italian Mastiff today at the dog park. He looked like a great dane sharpei mix, and when his owner said he was a mastiff I was surprised. I figured they were all giant wrinkly messes. I said he had a "nice moderate face" and she stared at me and then said it was the Neos who have giant wrinkly faces. I felt kinda dumb.

Neos ARE Italian Mastiffs, the name is just interchangeable according to locale, like German Shepherd/Alsatian Shepherd. I don't know what that owner was thinking, but maybe it's a new designer breed trying to use the old name?

ETA: Cane Corso are also called Italian Mastiffs.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 29, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

It's normal for dogs to growl when playing; a growl isn't just a negative noise, it can indicate a ton of things that have nothing to do with anger.

2tomorrow posted:

My day got nuts today and I cannot figure out how to transfer the pictures from my phone (which is my new camera since my lovely but ancient Nikon suddenly forgot how to focus on things a few months ago) to my computer and/or to post pictures from my phone to the forums. I am so bad at technology it hurts, but it also doesn't help that I've been up since 5 AM and only got to sit down and figure it out at 10 PM. I think I need a different type of cord to connect the phone to the computer. I have tomorrow mostly off so I will sit down first thing and figure this poo poo out.

If you have an iPhone or Android you can download the Imgur app from the app store on your phone. It allows you to upload pictures from your library to Imgur, which then generates an img code that you can use to post pics on the forums. :science:

Also, I don't know why you'd be concerned that pet island wouldn't approve of George since he doesn't look like a show GSD; the show GSDs are the gross hosed up looking ones! I bet he's gorgeous, don't worry.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 30, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

We need another herding thread so I can post a thousand pics of Spice. He's really slimmed down and is much more inclined to walk and romp around than he was when he was a CollieWhale.

We may take him to do a herding instinct test at the PacNW collie club's next meetup, so I need a venue for posting herding pics and I will make the drat thread myself if I have to.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

It's not dog abuse and I won't go for pages and pages screaming about it like some people (:psyduck:) but it does make your dog look loving retarded and IMO, its the lazy owners way of dealing with heat. It's really not all that difficult to keep a dog cool without making it look like a butt.

That's all I have to say on shaving. And I won't post Keeper's 'daily life' because he doesn't do anything of interest aside from being a dog.

ETA: I think people can do what they like with their own dogs. Obviously not everyone agrees it ruins the coat or puts them at higher risk for sunburn but for my own spectrum; a) every link I can find says that and b) that's what my own vets and groomers have unanimously agreed upon, so I'll always advise against it if someone posts asking about whether or not to shave. You buttify your own dogs all you like, but I'll keep mine looking normal, thanks.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 5, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Do you not have some sort of elaborate inner monolog that Keeper must have?

KILL KILL KILL is all I got before the intense headaches and screaming started.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Don't Shoot the Dog, Shoot the Bird

that's basically all I know of gun dog hunting hth

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Labs are dumb as gently caress because they're overbred to hell and back. The field-bred ones are still fairly good retrievers and can be smart, but I wouldn't class the breed as a whole as intelligent dogs, not anymore. Generations of being Amurica's #1 dog has taken care of that.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

It's a Wheaten Terrier. Sad that it's mistaken for a Goldendoodle, as it is an actual hypoallergenic breed and what people should get if they want a medium-sized, non-shedding scruffy thing, but they don't.

Otterhounds look like this:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

It just looked poodle-ish to me. :shobon: I've seen goldendoodles who look a lot like that.

fake edit: I didn't think there was such thing as a truly hypoallergenic breed? I know some breeds aggravate allergies less, but aren't hypoallergenic.

Poodles, Bichons, Maltese, Havanese, Wheatens and other breeds with hair instead of fur are considered non-allergenic They don't shed or produce dander, but people with severe allergies should avoid any dog regardless.

There's a reason goldendoodles are bred down to that size and look, and that reason is people are too stupid to realize a breed already exists that looks exactly like that.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

SuperTwo posted:

"The Dog Whisperer" was cancelled! http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/06/natgeo-cancels-dog-whisperer/ :toot:

Rumor is he's getting another show but I'm hopeful that it'll be a new premise and not focused on "training" dogs.

Too late to undo years of damage but hahahhaha YES.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I've been browsing Craigslist for used fish tanks and looking at cute dogs, and this ad popped up and made me :stare:

Female Cat For PETA-APPROVED HOME ONLY(Gresham)

Date: 2012-06-10, 9:22AM PDT
Reply to: cl garbage email deleted

Nina, is a 3 year old princess.
She is very loving and will come to the call of her name.
Shes like to sleep with her owner and will follow you around to show her loyalty.
We are moving out of state and will not beable to take ur pets with us.
We are members of peta and will be having interviews to place her in the right home.

So....do you interview people about their level of desire for animals to not be pets and THEN try to unload your cat, or what?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Hex the naked cat gets incredibly whoreish in a warm, sunny car.

Observe:

"Don't slut shame me, I am a fully realized woman. Now smack my cat boobs."

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Orange cats never get over the urge to destroy what you love. It's in their genetics.

Tom you son of a bitch I had plans for that amaryllis

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

No but seriously GET A FINNISH SPITZ PUPPY

I need to live vicariously through you.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Keeper sits on his butt like that all the time, I call it 'Winston Churchill-ing'. He has luxating patallae, but his hips are solid, both his parents were OFA'd good, so his structure isn't terrible. I really have no idea why he would do it other than possible soundness issues, but he does seem to really like pressing his rear end in a top hat directly onto things.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

An ugly one.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

To be fair, a yellow lab is closer looking to a golden than a lot of their breed mix ups.

They label this a Finnish Spitz in their breed selector thing:

This is what a Finnish Spitz actually looks like:

Someone put this Pom's paw in a socket:

UNDERCOAT! FOREVER UNDERCOAT! Guard hairs? What are guard hairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

This picture of a "beauceron" was in their dogs 101 episode about briards.

This is what a beauceron actually looks like:

Hahaha oh Animal Planet. Why is it that 'Its Me or the Dog' and the catlady version are the only two good things on your network?

Just yesterday I watched a show that seemed to be entirely about watching BYB'd litters of animals grow up. With cutesy narration of course.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2012

• Locked thread