Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Aravenna posted:

One of the local rescue people just posted this on Facebook:

:stare:

This is way funnier than it has any right to be. Especially with those names.

Corwin has taken to hugging the toilet recently. I don't *think* he's hung over. I think he likes the cool porcelain, but still, it's weird to come into the bathroom to see him sleeping there like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Invalid Octopus posted:

Honestly saying "mother and father" sounds furbaby-ish to me.

It's ridiculous, but when we went to Brookehaven Corgis recently, I about died with cute when Corwin met his "grandpa." Like he even cares! He didn't even care about his own dad (and Stuart just wanted to play with Corwin)... what a rude boy!

(Me, looking like an idiot b/c my cute has been overloaded. Grandpa on L in arms, then dad, then Corwin.)

And here's Corwin's sister, who has a serious face all the time:

Justin with Corwin's grandopa:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ChairmanMeow posted:

There was a thread in here about this. It was like gross stuff in there that came out kinda zit like. I was really impressed. Maybe some one with search skills can find it.

Yeah IIRC, nipples can invert and get clogged like a big pore. Yummo.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Invalid Octopus posted:

This was pinned as a "Goberian" (Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky). Designer dogs are annoying enough, but neither of them even carry the merle gene! Still. Cute puppy.

MUST be named Gober the Goberian.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Shifty Pony posted:

This kinda could go in the cat thread but it is more a fundemental emotional crisis on my part. I don't know if Purrcy is going to work out in this house. He's a sweety-pie and totally cool with me (albeit a bit pesty when I am working) and astonishingly smart. The problem is I think he have a really fundamental litter box incompatibility with my other cat Sadie.

Sadie has to have a tall-sided litter box because she will attempt to bury her leavings with excessive exuberance. We are talking yard-long swaths of ejected litter. But she will preferentially use a lower sided litter box if one is available and just fling litter everywhere. We are talking like a pound or so per use, launched impressive distances across the floor. Purrcy, despite being smart in many, many other ways he does this when he needs to poop in a tall-sided litter box:

Then steps in it, kicks his paw, and flings poo everywhere in the litter box then tries to cover each little bit but really just mixes everything up soiling the entire load of litter in one go not to mention requiring me to clean the box and walls (from him flinging), his paws, and the floor (from him tracking) in the area. It is just.. everywhere :stonk: but he's fine with a low-walled box. Putting a top cover with a hole on a high box only solves the flinging onto the wall part but he still poops like that leaving the box shot for anyone else to use and he runs around leaving poo-prints. Of course it turns out that Purrcy will preferentially use a tall-sided litter box if one is there :smith:. A side entrance covered litterbox is not really an option because Sadie will launch litter out and I know my own failings and I would be less likely to be as diligent about cleaning it daily.

I just don't knoooooooow. I have one cat that can't have short boxes around and one that can't have tall! I can't find anything hopeful for changing these habits online. I'm seriously considering saying "this isn't going to work" to the rescue as they did say the first two weeks were "trial" to make sure it was a good fit but that just makes me feel like a failed kitty-father. To add to it Purrcy is now being very aggressive when he sees Sadie through his screen door and Sadie now bolts when she sees him. :(

You could put a low-sided litterbox (with a lid) into a pen or tub and then the littler Sadie kicks would at least be confined to the tub that the littler box rests in. Just thinking out(in?)side the box!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

I just want to brag like crazy: I work for this author and his training company. Prescott is going to be a force to be reckoned with once he's completed his CAAB work.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for the Neige-beast. She's not enjoying the sedative (to take her energy level down a notch or two) or the enforced rest. If the week of pills and rest don't help, I guess I'll be looking around for a good and affordable orthopedist to get some professional advice as well, so if anyone knows one in the Seattle area, send me a PM. From what I've read, I'll probably want to go with extracapsular repair. I want to avoid TPLO if I possibly can, since it's so intensive and financially prohibitive. Meanwhile, my poor doggy's all strung out and glazed and just looks...generally unhappy.

Hey limpy Corgi buddy... Corwin developed a limp after tripping on a water bowl someone left in the middle of the park field on Saturday night. Front right leg. We haven't taken him to the vet yet; we're resting him to see if it's just a little strain... hopefully he won't need any serious measures. Poor guy just wants to play. :(

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Azrael Alexander posted:

I just read this on FB, from a disabled animal rescue called Panda Paws. They just had to euthanize a GSD puppy with what they believed to be a severe brain tumor. But in her necropsy, besides revealing deformed kidneys and lungs, was this (yes, she came from a breeder...:();

3. With all necropsies, you open the cranial (skull) cavity. It was VERY important for us to do this because she had what we believed was a tumor & we wanted to know what type so we can further inform litter mate owners. When we opened her skull cavity up, there was no tumor. Kanai'i had NO BRAIN. She literally had NO BRAIN. Her skull was filled with brain fluid & a few small pieced necrotic (decaying) grey matter floating about. However, there wasn't an actual brain to be found.

Her rescuers had this to say about her:
"I don't really know what to say... because we are all very shocked & dumbfounded. This is the first we have ever seen of this & we have NO IDEA how she was functioning without a brain.... she seemed to have cognitive behaviors, but that would be impossible without a brain. She seemed to "see" or "smell" things, but quickly those senses would vanish & she would be back at square one."

How was she functioning without a brain? She was 4 months old at the time of euthanasia, is it possible that she HAD a brain that simply deteriorated? I've never heard of this before. Besides making me want to choke the breeders, this really has me fascinated/disturbed. :stare:

My guess is that she had doggy anencephaly, which would indicate that the brain STEM (i.e. "lizard brain") was intact while the main brain tissue was absent and had been since conception. Usually anencephaly in humans manifests with a hugely deformed skull and characteristic facial features. Having that condition could potentially allow her to survive some time (like Dan Lirette's zombie baby) with sensory function (light/heat reactive, scent reactive) but no cognitive function (learning, memory, etc). Usually survival is limited to hours after birth, but some human babies have lived up to a year or more. I've never heard of it in a dog, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Edit: Google shows that it does happen in dogs (there's even a cited case of a GSD fetus), but I would be surprised that this dog didn't have the characteristic deformities.

OK, I just looked at the rescue page and that video of her running in the grass blows my mind. That shouldn't be possible without cerebellar tissue. WTF! So it couldn't be anencephaly because she would have been much more vegetative. Weiiiirrrrd.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 21, 2012

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Kiri koli posted:

*yes, I agreed to shoot a friend's wedding next fall :bang:

Professional wedding photographer here... get out while you still can. Don't do iiiiiiiit.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Skizzles posted:

I don't think anyone here is condoning the slap.

Man, given the context (at a workplace) and the legal climate (filing for assault!), I can't OFFICIALLY condone the slap, but I will emotionally condone it. Maybe some sense entered her thick skull by force of the slap.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Would you guys look at this greyhound my friends just adopted. :3:

She ran 69 races and won just over $15000 in stakes. And has the Derpface.

Hahahaa, holy hell, that face.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
What. Really? I can see that happening, but still... wow.

Here, have some really, really cute animal Instagram accounts as compiled Top-50 style by Buzzfeed:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/the-50-cutest-instagram-accounts-in-the-whole-worl

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Fraction posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of hypocritical/intensely irritating how everyone commenting on the story was crying over this one dog when probs hundreds are pts every day over there?

:effort:

btw we don't need the hippo to have Gay Dogs, we have moses and frankie :iamafag:

I kinda thought, as horrible as this is and that it's probably completely true that some moron abandoned their big "gay" dog, I'd almost rather have it turn out to be publicity for the shelter just trying to adopt out a dog. "Please save Bruno, he is gay and thinks no one loves him." "Freckles here is lovely, but he has a serious bone addiction." etc

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
My sister is interested in getting an Icelandic Sheepdog from Stonecrop Icelandics and wanted me to run her breeder by you knowledgeable people to see if she looks all right. This is the breeder's website: http://stonecropstudio.com/icelandic_sheepdogs.html

This is apparently the breeder's second litter. She has conducted an interview with my sister and seems interested in both the placement and the health of her dogs (does hip and CERF screening/testing in parents). Her website doesn't seem to speak much to the WHY of her breeding, but she seems interested more in furthering the breed and working/showing dogs than in "OMG PUPPIES!" She also works for NISRA (National Icelandic Sheepdog Rescue Alliance) - http://www.nationalicelandicsheepdogrescuealliance.org/NISRA/04/about.htm

However, there are a few things that concern me, and this is where I would like your opinion:

1) The breeder is on the East Coast, and my sister lives in Portland, Oregon. The breeder will be shipping the dog to my sister. I know this is generally frowned upon, but I don't really see another option for transport. It's my understanding that there aren't many people breeding this type of dog and that they can't find someone closer to home.

2) There is no spay/neuter clause in the contract. It simply states, "Since this dog carries the Stonecrop kennel name, potential offspring will reflect on Stonecrop Icelandic Sheepdogs. Therefore, the new owners agree that if this puppy is ever bred, they will notify the breeder of the breeding and the name of the stud dog. The new owners agree that if this puppy is ever bred, they will complete the health screens recommended by the Icelandic Sheepdog Association of America prior to breeding, they will verify that health screens have been completed for the stud, and that they will not breed this dog to a dog that is not registered with the American Kennel Club (or another FCI registry if the male is not AKC registered)."

This seems like encouraging BYB Icelandic Sheepdog to me. My sister asked the breeder about this, and she replied, "In our breed, we do not discourage interested and dedicated Icie owners from contributing to the preservation of the breed and the diversity of the gene pool. It is not good if only a few top show dogs are bred, that creates a bottleneck that diminishes genetic diversity. With maybe 700 living Icies in the country, the situation is not the same as Goldens, or Rotties, or etc. They are at a different stage of the development of their breeding populations. In our breed, the challenge is finding enough people who are willing to maintain a stud, or even more demanding, to whelp litters. That certainly doesn't mean we want indiscriminate breeding, and we as breeders have to use our good judgement in who we sell puppies to, and we have an active Rescue organization well supported by breeders. That said, some Icie breeders do sell with limited AKC registration. I am quite fussy about my puppy families, I have let quite a few go by, and I hope I choose intelligent responsible people who can make informed decisions, and I don't want to try to control the puppies once they are sold, beyond the few stipulations in the contract (notify me if they change hands, follow ISAA breeder ethics if breeding, send me pictures, etc.)"

Anyone have any opinions on this breeder and/or the breed in general? Sis asked me, but I'm kind of out of my depth on this one, and you were all very helpful about us choosing the breeder from whom we purchased Corwin. :)

EDIT: Also, no, my sister does not live on a farm and probably doesn't have any intention of working this dog. I don't know enough about the breed to know if they are a herding dog that makes a good pet with regular exercise, like a corgi, or one that will go insane without a flock or pasture.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2013

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Thanks for the feedback on the breed clause, y'all! That makes sense. I'll ask her what her interest in the breed is. I suspect she found it while looking for a herding dog, possibly reading about corgis (genetic link?), and probably wants a rare breed because she likes being a special snowflake. ;) *cough*

Edit: Also, requested to join the FB group. I'm the girl whose name is unironically something a vet tech does on the daily.

Edit 2: She says she wanted a smart, active breed and wants to train it as a therapy dog to work in pediatrics.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 9, 2013

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Sock Weasel posted:

God damnit Hrafn, experiencing a dog have a reverse sneezing fit is terrifying and you were acting like you were about to die. Please don't do that again.

Corwin ended up having a cab ride (lol) to the e-vet while my sister was house sitting because she'd never heard it happen before. It DOES sound scary... especially when he does it for 5 minutes in the middle of the night. First time I heard it, it woke me out of a dead sleep and the ONLY REASON I KNEW WHAT IT WAS was because if Pet Island. So, thanks, guys!!

Oh! Yeah, and that cost us $400 because we reimbursed her for the e-vet. A loving sneeze. $400.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
It's Corwin's durf-day. He's three years old. Tonight he will get a hamburger for dinner. Woof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Sock Weasel posted:

:hf:

We ended up taking Raf in the next morning because he wouldn't take food or water at breakfast, it cost us $200 because it was a Sunday so our regular vet was closed and the only one open was an e-vet. He perked right up when we got there and we walked away with just some antibiotic tablets in case he had picked something up. The vet looked at my video, took Hrafn's temp and pretty much shrugged so yes, money wasted but it gave me peace of mind at least.

His appetite was absolutely drat fine when we got home.

Have a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IgrKRwJAc He'd do that for ten seconds or so then look at me with a "WHAT'S HAPPENING :saddowns:" face. gently caress reverse sneezing.

The best part was that my sister doesn't have a car, and it was the middle of the night, so she CALLS A CAB SERVICE that will take dogs, and has them drive her the FOUR loving MINUTES (less than a mile) to the e-vet. The cab driver was so unpleased.

I guess we got a CD of radiographs out of the whole deal, so I guess that's cool. Corwin's insides, yay!

• Locked thread