Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why does everything need fancy words? It's like boats with starboard and port. Just say left and right! Just say 'Mother and Father' :psyduck: Why complicate things?

Honestly saying "mother and father" sounds furbaby-ish to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Doggy dream team? #1 would definitely be a working Clumber spaniel. The rest, in no particular order: papillon, Rottweiler, Weimaraner, borzoi (okay borzois are just on the list because they look so cool).

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

InEscape posted:

When I'm finally ready I want something medium sized and vaguely active. I think. I like spaniels but I heard they are neurotic with interesting death-related genetic defects.

Field bred spaniels are generally pretty healthy! I know it's true for many dogs, but I think spaniels especially have pretty big differences between show and field type.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

El Gar posted:

Yeah I know that but what about when I want to go for a walk with my dog? Or go to a park? At some point in my life I would have to endure the situation I described earlier.

Well. It won't be warm anymore, at least.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

WolfensteinBag posted:

Haha Speaking of, my husband was making fun of me the other day for training my son like the dogs. But I figure, hell, if it works... :haw: Really, knowing dogs is helping me immensely. I swear he learns words the exact same way, and thrives on positive reinforcement. "No, not in the mouth... GOOD JOB!!! Not in the mouth!! :neckbeard: "

Welp, time to start him on the clicker! :haw:

But seriously, that's awesome about Wildhaus! Their dogs are just super.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Well, there was a herding dog thread, but it died off a while ago, and there is the hunting dog thread as well. I'm very pro spaniel thread if someone was keen on making one :)

Edit: I've actually been considering making a spaniel/gundog thread anyway, so maybe I'll just start on that.

Edit 2: Here is a link to the herding thread, requires archives.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 30, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I putting together a huge gundog thread, and now I'm wondering if I'm possibly going overboard :ohdear:. Oh well! I remember someone mentioned a website where you can build threads and check them out before you push them through (I think LPers use it)?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Riiseli posted:

Aren't they hunting dogs?

Some breeds are, but there a lot of breeds that aren't hunted with anymore, or haven't ever been (some of the smaller spaniels, for example). Whereas, the hunting thread is a thread for anyone who is actively hunting with their dogs.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I believe that's why she was asking. There are many breeds of "gundogs" that don't actually ever hunt, and the hunting thread is for individuals who are actively hunting with their dogs.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Rats doin' rat things~

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm making a gundogge (spaniels, retrievers, setters, pointers) thread and if any of you people have an exceedingly clever or funny name for it, I would like to hear it.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Robo Kitty posted:

Question: So after hanging around here for a while and reading all the way through the old random nonsense and cat FAQ back before I adopted my cat, I've noticed people keep asking the same questions again and again (which litter to buy, where to get a good cat tree, etc) because they're difficult to find scattered throughout the threads. I know I had a hard time finding product recommendations myself and people have asked in the past what happened to an old recommendations thread. How would people feel about me writing up a few effortposts for a new product recommendations thread? Maybe someone else could do some dog posts for it, or I could just make a cat-specific thread. This would be based on what I've read of the collective PI cat lady wisdom, of course, not just my own opinions.

I think a new product recommendations thread is a great idea, but I think you should keep it all-animal inclusive.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

I love the names. Saw Wicked twice. Once when it first opened, then again on my birthday, because I asked for tickets as a gift. :3:

There was a german short-haired pointer at work today. Such a strange looking dog. There was also a Shiba! :3: A little black and tan boy named Sy. Will upload pictures later.

There was a dog, which had a breed name I can't find. It looks a lot like a Mastiff, but it has a head with a slight curve to it, a little like a Bull Terrier. The breed is something with a P maybe?

Could it have been a Presa?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
The Grid did a list of Toronto's top dogs – even if you're not in the GTA, it's a pretty cute article.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Have a look at a lot of old dog pics!. Virtually all breeds represented, it appears.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Aravenna posted:

One of my local shelters just posted about a Boston/Dachshund mix that's available. It's like someone thought that both Bostons and Dachshunds just work too well and decided to do something about that.

Makes sense, really. Nothing people like more than dogs with a) flat faces, b) teensy legs and c) adorable designer dog names!! The Bosthund is clearly the Perfect Dog.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This is their picture for a Clumber. This dog is "ready for a day in the field!".

:saddowns:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Honestly he just looks like an ugly shar pei to me. I doubt he really has any pug in him.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This guy's been at the shelter for couple weeks and he is such a sweetheart. Took him outside to a bit of lawn to brush him out with the BF, and he was totally chill the entire time while we took out his weight in fur. The picture doesn't do him justice – it looks like a hyena mane :3:.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Next time she should make a corgi quilt! I found this shop on spoonflower and now I am longing to sew a nerdy dog quilt but I have zero time to finish the quilt I started 3 years ago so I probably shouldn't start a new one.

I'm currently working on a quilt I started when I was 8. Nerdy dog quilts might have to wait for me :saddowns:.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Captain Foxy posted:

I can and I already am doing the petfinder/local shelter trawl, but honestly I think I'm doing that out of guilt rather than a desire to adopt one of the dogs. I don't really WANT a little randomly-bred Chi. Or a randomly bred Pom. I know exactly what I want, and I want a dog that's true to the type that I admire. I want a spunky, feisty, diffident little female, and I know I can find that in rescue, and I'm absolutely looking, but there's not a thing wrong with me choosing to support a breeder so that I can get exactly the personality and breed that I want.

It's just an internal moral dilemma that is more about guilt than rationality.

I SO hope you end up with a papillon. They were my favorite breed for years and years – my elderly neighbors had one named Teddy, and he was just a great little guy.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

Why. You know what you want, get it. People wring their hands so much because I ~bought a pit bull~ when there are ~so many in shelters~ and lol, guess what, I'm gonna buy a million more forever and I give 0 gently caress. Some people want something too specific to get from a shelter or rescue.

A couple of weeks ago, for kicks, I asked petfinder if there were any Clumbers in the whole of the USA. Of the dozen or so that came up, two were purebred, one or two were possible mixes, and the rest were lab/pit/terrier/whatever mixes that people decided to name as Clumbers. And, of course, the two Clumbers that did come up probably have horrible hips and PDP1, and definitely have poo poo eyes/build in general.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Whippet/Bedlington Terrier/Awesome mix, you mean! :3:

Also my Favorite Dude was at work today again. Axel the Burmese Mountain dog. Such a big bundle of fur and eyebrows. :kimchi:

Although I don't know why someone would want that kind of dog here in L.A. It's been like 80-85 for the past week.

You mean Bernese, but I got a giggle out of picturing a big shaggy dog hanging out in the Burmese rainforest :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This was pinned as a "Goberian" (Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky). Designer dogs are annoying enough, but neither of them even carry the merle gene! Still. Cute puppy.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman barked a couple of times at a particularly loud firework, but that was it. The rest of the time he was just chilling, or getting Real Mad at his Tug-A-Jug, which he's too dumb to figure out.

Also I want an Aussie. They are so awesome looking, like they've been cobbled together out of different dog parts. Frankendog. :3:

Just cus of the Merle or what? Do you think tricolors look like Frankendogs too?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Never thought I'd see someone complain about too many dog pics in PI.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
It really should stay PI. Just because of PISS.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
It just wouldn't be a Boston terrier if it had a working face!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

2tomorrow posted:

Bandit apparently wants to say hi to y'all since when I opened this thread just now he got all excited and jumped on my keyboard just right in order to open the reply window. I am not even sure how he did that since I was not aware that you could reply to a thread while just hitting keyboard keys.

So hi from Bandit! Also it fulfills the previous request to have more ACD pics in here.

Here is a picture of Bandit taking a break when he is supposed to be working:

He is not as fat as he looks in this picture I swear.

And here is a picture of Bandit contemplating eating a kitten:

You don't post enough pics of your dogs :3:. Cute Bandit!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
You okay, man?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

My parents just brought home a puppy. :geno:

...what kind of puppy?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

Wellll that was fun.

One of my mice has looked ill for a week or so; so I was pretty surprised when another (in a different cage) just had a heart attack or a seizure or i dont know what. Mozart just died on my hand on the way up the vets.

Jesus, Fraction, you have just had no luck with those guys :(. I'm so sorry.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

It's frustrating especially because I tried to be ~responsible~ and got them from a breeder. But so far I've had: one death by tumor, one death by seizure?, one that's mysteriously ill... On the other hand my boy from a really terrible pet shop has had not a single thing wrong with him. :sigh:

Have you contacted the breeder about the health issues? If she's at all decent (which, at this point, seems unlikely) then she'd want to know. For mice and rats it seems to be just luck of the draw, but you're having enough issues that I'd avoid that breeder in the future. For my next rat, I'll probably just be going through kijiji, since there are some breeders posting adds there – there are zero active breeders with websites in my province. I figure health is a crapshoot, but at least I can get an interesting looking rat if I go through a breeder.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Puppy at 1000 frames/second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdeBLgal-6c

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
What a handsome dog. I'm guessing Basset + some kind of spaniel? Such a sweet expression.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Haha, I know. I feel so bad for those frogdogs who are only titled in the showring. Their dogs don't seem the type to be in schutzhund. The whole thing seems fishy.

Nah, frogdogs can do Schutzhund too. This guy was BOG at Crufts in 2011, has the dumb rear, and is SchH3. I mean, he doesn't have the worst back end I've seen, but it's not great.

e: I don't look at GSD breeders a lot or anything, but it seems like Canada has some really weirdly bred ones.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
More useful dog tricks with Jesse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PztO-OvzRyg

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My boyfriend's dad grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan, so he's not especially inclined toward rats. He has a Dog Voice for his yorkies, though, and I've gradually seen it start to get used on the rats when he visits. It used to just be an uneasy look to the cage, but now it is "Oooh and does someone have a snaaaack?", "ooooh is someone sleeeeepy?", "yes I am just here sleeeping and hiiiding!".

edit: he is still very clear that he does Not Like Rats

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Re: off-leash dogs.
The shelter I volunteer at is on the exhibition grounds, which are mostly empty most of the year. But the CNE (big-rear end Toronto fair) is starting next week so a bunch of people in trailers and general carny folks are showing up. Some dude was letting his labs run around off-leash right next to a loving animal shelter where people are walking dogs. Though I guess it doesn't count as off-leash if the dogs have leashes on. Even if the other end of the leash isn't connected to a human/anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

This is the one good article I have about them, but I really would like more sources on proper prong use if anyone has them. I want to make a post on my blog about them because I have nothing better to do than bitch about dog things online.

Skiz, what's your blog?

• Locked thread