Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Reposting sheep alpha rolling because it is ridiculous.

The farm that posted that raises Shetland Sheep which only get about 100 lbs max so it makes things easier. They did a picture guide.

I want them to try on one of these guys instead.

Yearling Horned Dorset ram

Full grown Suffolk ram

I didn't know sheep got quite that large. Impressive!

Also that last one looks like a pillow with a head attached to it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Corwin is so cute. :3: I caught feldman LICKING the toilet yesterday. I clean it frequently, and it's usually clean. But still. :gonk:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Lookit all them derps in one lap. :3:

Also dogs make you a crazy dog-lady, no matter your age or gender.

Like I had Feldman on my lap tonight, and I realized I was singing songs with his name in it. Like "Schools out for Summer" by Alice Cooper became "Schools out for Feldman."

And I gave no poo poo that if anyone saw this, they'd think I'm nuts.

Dogs make people crazy! It's just how it works!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: ^^^ all of them. All of the dogs. Or you know. Two, maybe three. A pharoah hound, irish wolfhound and something else. Maybe a Dane.

Feldman dragged his little mat underneath my bed, and is now laying on it while chewing on his toys.

Dog you are weird. Why are you under there?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Dogs have a strong denning instinct, and sometimes they'll designate a particular spot as their den. Husker has one particular bed that he always takes his bones and such to. Anything high value gets taken there. Maybe Feldman has decided that under your bed is a good place to take his high value stuff.

It could be. This is the first time he's doing it though, so who knows. He seems okay under there, so I'm guessing I should just let him be?

Also here is a picture.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

My brother and his girlfriend have a pom, and is a very sweet little girl, her name is ginger. But he also wants to get a pit bull when they buy a house.

Update: The demon dog has appeared from it's den beneath my bed.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Azrael Alexander posted:

Three or four personal dog sounds like a good number. Since I plan to rescue/foster Pit Bulls, there will always be more dogs in the house and I can't really go overboard with permanent residents. :shobon:

APBT's and MAYBE a molosser like a Rottweiler or Argentine Dogo or something. It'd be nice to have a protection dog, since (good) Pits are useless for that.

I watched a thing on netflix, the science of dogs or something. Apparently Argentine Dogo make better pitbulls then pitbulls. Want one of them. :tipshat:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

You know, I *WANT* a wolfhoud, but i'd never get one. I just wouldn't have the energy! As it is, I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home. Rest of the time he's tethered to the bed, and he usually just lays there.

And that's just with a boston terrier! A working breed dog would be nuts.

So I'll just have to fill my house with boston terriers. :colbert:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

edit: ^^^ Now that we've changed his food, and he's not on any crazy medication, his farting has gotten MUCH better. :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox posted:

what

Does Feldman get to run around (on-leash I guess) or go hiking or do dog things? I know he eats anything around and it might make it hard to let him be a dog, but I think any dog needs more than 5 minutes of walking every 2 hours.

Well he has a nylabone and a rubber ball and a puppy kong. Also a Bad Cuz, so he has stuff to play with here, which he does.

The dogs in this neighborhood have giardia, and either the owners don't know, or don't give a poo poo. We did take him to the beach a couple of weeks ago.

Besides he's a Boston Terrier. They're bred to just be couch dogs.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

adventure in the sandbox posted:

So I actually just don't understand Bostons :) When the weather is mild or cool, my dogs like a half-hour of hard running every 2-3 hours. Its getting hot now, so they get too hot to get tired which means they need more frequent, shorter sessions of fetch. We've taken them on 5 hour hikes, no big deal they are still running up the trail ahead at the end of the day.

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs. So Feldman is fine with those short walks and like 30 minutes of playing/training a day. Well that and chewing on my hand until I smack him for biting too hard.

edit: I'm pretty sure Feldman's heart would explode in his chest if we tried to take him on a 5 hour hike.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

dogs I'd never own? JRTs, because they're too hyper. Also teacup ANYTHING, and probably no terriers. Terriers are temperamental as poo poo and most the times I've been bitten at work have been by terriers.

No chihuahua's either, the trembling little monsters. :colbert:

Edit: My aunt has a JRT/Chihuahua mix. It's as terrible as you'd think.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Radio! posted:

All cats.

Actually I desperately want a Sphinx, but I'll probably never get one because my first choice will always be a senior/sick cat from the shelter.

Oh god I want a Sphinx so bad. Those posts of Hex make me go :allears: when ever I see them. That video of Hex being slapped around is amaazzinngg.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Thats why I'd never get like...a newfie or something. Too much slobber. I don't want to be slobbered on all the time, it's gross. :(

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Hasn't someone posted about their dog that not only poops onto tree trunks but walks circles around them while doing it?

WHY DO I HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT?

There's a dog who comes to daycare, named Rascal. He's Boston Terrier(of course), and he walks while he poops. So there's a little trail of poop going from one point to another, and everyone immediately knows who did it.

Also while I love big dogs, I'm not sure I'd want to own one. Having to pick up the huge piles of poo poo at work is enough. Don't know if I'd want a dog that leaves a pile of poo poo the size of a baseball.

There was a basset hound at work today. He went 'baoooo bawooooo' :3: I love basset hound barks.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Bear Rape posted:

So, uh, I think my roommate does not understand the concept of dog-walking. I wanted to mention this here because it was too :psyduck: to not say. She walks the dog at night unless she can somehow get out of it, and tonight she put the leash on the dog, hovered over him, and then took the leash off when he didn't immediately jump up to go walk. And then she went to bed.

I was wondering why all her "walks" took under a minute, but now I get it. She has no idea how to walk a dog. Rather than using the leash for the intended purpose of controlling the dog's direction and where it's going, I think she just puts it on him so he doesn't run off. And then she lets the dog guide her like some sort of pee-seeking divining rod, except it's a lazy dog that you need to encourage sometimes.
How the hell does that happen? Not knowing how to walk a dog, I mean. Or the basic concept. Pretty sure the 8 year old here knows how.

But now I have to walk him again even though I took him for a quarter-mile walk earlier because she didn't bother trying to actually walk him. I'm 31 weeks pregnant, this is bullshit. :mad:

I was getting kinda angry until that last part. Now I'm Real Mad. This dick won't put in any effort into walking her dog, forcing you to walk her dog, at 31 weeks? This is something you really shouldn't have to loving deal with man. I think you need to have a long talk. By that I mean tell her 'take care of your loving dog instead of me or get the gently caress out of here.'

:argh:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman is named after Marty Feldman. Because they have similar eyes. :downs:

Although no one seems to know who Marty Feldman is.

:v: Whats your dogs name?

:c00lbert: He's Feldman.

:v: Feldman?

:c00lbert: You know, like Marty Feldman.

:butt: Who?

:emo: You know, he played Igor in Young Frankenstein

:butt: Never heard of that.

:suicide: oh.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

He has a custom hexagonal dog tag with his name and our contact info on it, too, and it has the Galactica logo :)

WELL where do I get one and how much are they? My next dog will be named Frak.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So uh. Been playing tug with the dog lately, and we both enjoy it. At least I thought we did. He's been growling when we do it now. I'll give the toy a tug, and then he'll tug it, and growl.

How do I tell if this is annoyed/"Let it go!" growling? Or is that all growling?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fraction posted:

Sometimes I wonder how it is that you have a dog and now work around dogs and don't know basic stuff :v:

It's super fun to rile your dog up by growling and shaking the toy around yourself. Dogs are easily amused.

Well that's why I ask, isn't it? So I know the basic stuff. Gotta learn it all some how! :mad:

You gotta understand that I've never owned a dog in my life. So stuff that most people think as 'basic' is brand new stuff to me.

Although I'm now a Master in dealing with all sorts of Poops. :v:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Stregone posted:

Here's a short clip of shelby getting 'zoomies' in the water. It didnt' really show up, but she digs at the water bites it and then zooms around. It didn't help that she kept getting tangled up in the leash, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4124101179702

No you see GSD are guard dogs/police dogs and this video simply shows Shelby being the vicious attack dog all GSD are by attacking the water. :goonsay:

Shelby is very pretty, wanna pet those ears! :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Cross posting from the giant dogs thread:

Yes, that's a twin mattress. The whole drat thing cost less than any decent dane-sized bed I could find on the market. I put some links up over in the big dog thread as far as the waterproof layer and the zip cover go, because I had a pain finding ones that would work and I figure I'd save someone else the trouble if there's someone else in need of a nice, soft bed for a big dumb dog.

I tried to move Balen off it about ten minutes ago. He is literally dead weight over there. He's clearly not dead because he's breathing and looking at me and such, but I don't think I could get him off that thing if there was a drat fire right now.

Balen is awesome. As an owner of a BT, I can't imagine owning a dog that I couldn't move. Sometimes I'll just pick up Feldman and smush my face against his face because I can.

Although I bet having Balen is like having a giant furry blanket. :3:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 31, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Gonna agree as well. But I'd like to add one thing, that I believe is VERY important. There's been a serious lack of Husker pictures lately. Please fix that, Tia. :colbert:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

All he does is lay there, it doesn't make for very interesting photos ;)

But here is a video my husband took of Husker freaking out over the Purple Panda video that's been making the rounds.

This is totally staged, by the way - hubby was watching the video in the kitchen and Husker started howling when the kids started screaming, so he wanted to see if he would do it again.

When this was over Husker came and found me and gave me his "Daddy is a bad man" face.

haha, Husker is so cute :3:

His noises made Feldman sit up and stare around, trying to find the other dog.

edit: I see his fur is growing back nicely!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

He's a Boykin Spaniel. He has a curly coat that is magnified by a fairly short clip and having just gone swimming earlier in the day. My parents had to give him a shorter cut because he just loves to chase birds in brush piles and would come out with briers all over his back half. I'm sure you can imagine getting a tangled thorny stem out of that hair is pretty much impossible.

I read that as 'Brooklyn Spaniel' at first. "Yo, Woof, I'm a dog ova heah!"

He's a very handsome fellow. The only spaniel I've meet are those king charles spaniels. So soft :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, Feldman's not got an exciting life.

6:00am-The Woman is up time to get up and take a walk, I get to pee and eat all the flowers and leaves I want! Haha trying to take it from me? Watch me clench my jaws SO HARD.

6:30-9:30am-More sleep time feels good man zzz

9:30am- Oh The Boy is up time to get up. Hey breakfast gonna scarf it down so fast. Time to walk and make a poop, which I will kick for some loving reason woof. Also yum flowers and leaves! Oh a bee! *snap snap bark snap* gently caress YOU BEE I'LL GET YOU ONE DAY!

10:00am-4:00pm-Hey lets take the occasional walk. I will let you know it's time to do this by making you think I have to poop, when in fact I don't! gently caress you walk me! Also time to sleep, occasionally chewing on a toy or licking The Boys feet, but mostly sleeping.

4:30pm-10:00pm-Hey The Mom is home time to play with her. Whats that you're eating dinner give me some hey that bag is in the wrong place BARKBARKBARKBARKBA-oh you put it away thanks man.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The lady I bought my new sheep from had a BC she got as a sheepdog trial washout (he loved people more than herding) and now I want one. At one point the farmer was trying to figure out where the dog was and realized that she had told the dog to hold the sheep and it still was almost 20 minutes later but it wasn't frantically busy like some other bcs I've met. When he was released he came over for some love then wandered off to occupy himself. The dogs from the breeder he came from come already trained on stock so I would know it could work/its general temperament and I wouldn't have to deal with a puppy. The breeder even does all sorts of health testing which is a miracle in the stockdog world. Maybe if it was a little female Major wouldn't want to eat her too much...

That would be pretty cool. You could also spin and knit the dog all sorts of sweaters and outfits from the wool. You must do this.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Question: So are labs generally considered smart dogs? I ask this because the place I work gets several labs on a regular basis. And they're all very sweet dogs, love getting pats and have serious cases of buttwiggles when they're excited. They're also about as smart as a bag of rocks. Just wondering if this is just them or the breed on the whole is kinda derp.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you can get a calm lab, they can be smart as hell. It's, like Foxy said, avoiding the awful poo poo lines which make up.. god, 75% of the dogs out there. We're not talking border collie smart, but they can easily do obedience stuff like any other dog if you work with'em.

It's kinda sad, really.

That is kind of sad :smith:

The Labs at work are super sweet, and the butt-wiggle they do when they wag their tails SO HARD is super adorable. An intelligent, field-line bred lab is probably an amazing dog.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Don't know how many of you guys browse GBS, but this was posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

Shiba Inu puppy cam!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well I'm not a conformation expert but I'd say in that second picture Mouse has another dog growing from her underside and maybe that shouldn't be there.

:v:

I can't critique such a pretty dog! One that's pretty good at getting rabbits and rats, too. Your dog can actually do what she's bred to do. That puts her head-and-shoulders above 'show dogs' of all breeds.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ToiletOtter posted:

Crisco's blog hasn't updated for 2 months. I do hope everything is okay and he's just rolling around in kitten piles all day.

The internet takes a poor second place to Cattes and kitten piles. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Siochain posted:

Well, we figured we'd go with the "enlightened" Glinda :P Remember, she takes the "a" out - at least in the musical. I haven't read the books.
And yeah, they're getting close to being friends. Its acquaintances at this point.

I love the names. Saw Wicked twice. Once when it first opened, then again on my birthday, because I asked for tickets as a gift. :3:

There was a german short-haired pointer at work today. Such a strange looking dog. There was also a Shiba! :3: A little black and tan boy named Sy. Will upload pictures later.

There was a dog, which had a breed name I can't find. It looks a lot like a Mastiff, but it has a head with a slight curve to it, a little like a Bull Terrier. The breed is something with a P maybe?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Could it have been a Presa?

It could have been that, yeah. The dog was only 4-5 months. So possibly!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Didn't upload the pictures from yesterday, so here they are today!

First dude is a Shiba Inu, I think. Check out those eyebrows. :3:

This dude is the dude who is a weird breed, the name of I can't remember:

He's got a big overbite, so he's like a shark. :3:

And here's a Whippet. Whippet Good. :devo:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

That is one happy, handsome Shiba. :3: Looks like he probably had a good wag donut going on.

Haha, I was hoping you'd see the pictures. His tail was SO curly. The most curliest tail I've ever seen. A wag donut is a great way to describe it, because that's what it was.

He was the first Shiba I ever met IRL, and he was very sweet. He'd sit there with a sort of 'oh, go on' expression while I pet his head, stroked his ears, and made stupid noises at him. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

Hex the naked cat gets incredibly whoreish in a warm, sunny car.

Observe:

"Don't slut shame me, I am a fully realized woman. Now smack my cat boobs."

Man it's been WAY too long since you've posted pictures of Hex. :colbert: Love that catte. :3:

The phrase 'now smack my cat boobs' made me burst out laughing. And yet, oddly appropriate, considering. I saw that video where Hex was getting smacked, and was enjoying the hell out of it. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

InEscape posted:

Took my fosters in for their alteration at my local low-cost. Four rescue ladies, two teenage girls who didn't spay their female kitties fast enough (but who I guess were at least doing the babies) and a crazy-rear end dog lady.

She had a really gorgeous big poofy dog that she was claiming was a ~*malamute/ wolf hybrid*~. Google tells me this is a real thing. I am sad. It just looked like a big durfy malamute mix!

Apparently he "hates car trips" and she had to "choke him out" several times to get all 100+ lbs of him into her tiny Nissan cube.

Also she's the Kind of Person who
drives a Nissan Cube.

It wasn't a great morning.

That's horrible, I would have probably rolled my eyes at her so hard they'd pop out of their sockets.

On the other hand, the mental image of some crazy dog lady trying to choke out a big rear end dog is kind of amusing. Hope that dog pees on all her stuff in retaliation.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I like to abuse Feldman by sometimes(frequently) picking him up and carrying him around the apartment. Lately he's started to rest his head on my shoulder, resigned to the fact that I will not put him down until I'm finished snuggling him. :colbert:

My mom thought this was the cutest thing ever, of course, so she took two pictures:

Here's Feldman being all camera shy.

and here's him pleading with my mother to help him, oh god the snuggling. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman had The Snip today, and now he has no balls! :toot: that and being microchiped cost like 400 bux all together.

His heartrate went a bit slow, so they gave him stuff to speed it up, but besides that it went fine. Now he's got an empty ballbag, and a bullystick for being a good boy. Also Tramadol. Delicious :catdrugs:

The vet suggested we ice the incision area, but how do you do that? Don't think he'll want to sit on an icepack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Boooo, one of our kitties, Bonus, was just diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I had a feeling he's had it forever - he's always been incredibly ravenous but has been steadily dropping weight for about two years now. So now he's gunna be on meds. He's about 12 or 13, so it seems on par.

I hope Bonus gets better! :shobon:

There's this pibble at work, and she's adorable. But we have to give her pills twice a day for her allergies, and she just won't take them. We didn't have any pill pockets, so we just tried to give her the pills, and she kept pushing them out with her tongue. Might bring in some salami or something tomorrow, see if that works.

A Pitbull's face changes pretty dramatically when you pull their lips back. Them teeth are serious business.

• Locked thread