Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mentor is out of town so I get to dogsit for her.

This is Tar Heel and he's a... mix... of... something. I call him the Gray Coyote. He's silly.

And this is Vassar, some sort of malamute mix I assume. I never knew the true definition of shedding until I met this dog...

They are really chill dudes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

I've always admired this Border Collie:

He's absolutely gorgeous, and he's got a rock solid temperament and runs 3.8 in flyball.

Goddamn that is a gorgeous border, please send me a merle puppy, thx. :qq:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
A while back a rescue in Cinci had what appeared to be a Tervuren mix puppy for adoption. She was so gorgeous (I think I linked her here, don't remember). The rescue required fenced-in yards though, so even if it were the best time in my life to get a puppy I couldn't have her. :qq:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Honestly, I would probably max out at two, MAYBE three if something too good to pass up fell in my lap. I would like medium or large dogs that are at least somewhat active to continue to get me off my rear end and exercise like Shadow does, so I can't imagine myself dealing with more than that.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 24, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

My ultimate unrealistic dream dog? A Belgian Sheepdog. :swoon:

But if I want to be realistic, I hope to one day just get a plain ol' German Shepherd. Maybe even a Border Collie or Aussie mix of some sort, like my foster puppy from last Summer. I don't see myself ever going the breeder route, just 'cause I'm not looking for anything super special and there are already so many GSDs in rescue, so I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
re: furry chat

Yeah I'm pretty sure most furries aren't actually interested in loving animals, they just want to frolic around and pretend to be one. Kinda like some people have a rape fetish but don't actually want to be raped... maybe? That was probably a terrible comparison. I have no idea, and I know even less about otherkin. It's usually more your backwoods redneck freaks you gotta watch out for, I think. Still would not adopt dog to the fursuit lady.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I tried to watch Science of Dogs the other day but it was on some pay per view channel. :mad: To those who have seen it, is it any good? I thought I'd heard some people here enjoyed it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I would never own the following:

- Scenthounds. They're fun, but I want a more handler-attentive dog.
- Dogs with massive, thick, blow-y coats like huskies/malamutes/etc. even though they're gorgeous.
- Small terriers. I love them, but they're not for me.
- Bracycephalic dogs.
- Shih-tzus/pekes/maltese/bichons/etc. I dunno why but I just do not care for these breeds.
- Boxers. Sorry, boxer lovers, I just think they're incredibly retarded and ugly. :saddowns:
- Any of the designer dogs, especially labra/goldendoodles. Also goes for teacups.
- AmBully (Azrael reminded me).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

GoreJess posted:

Maybe I'm just weird, but I kind of love it when Cambria asserts her independence. Like when she decides that she's not going to come back inside until she's done sniffing that bush. If I really need to get her somewhere or away from something, I can just pick her up.

Of course, she's also spoiled me rotten, because she's very gentle with people & lets me handle her without any issues. She doesn't enjoy her grooming time, but tolerates it way better than most Scotties.

Oh yeah, I adore most terriers, they're spunky and fun little dogs, but a little more drivey than what I think I'd want, and I'm just so much more drawn to larger breeds. So no terrier hate, just not the group for me. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Shifty Pony posted:

Solution: get both!

This is the only way.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Friend just posted this on FB:

Friend posted:

can't believe I just had 2 deal w that much stupidity when I'm not feeling wel! Who The F parks their car n a busy, not @ all safe shopping center parking lot (the Rite Aid has been robbed many times!), taking up 2 spots, w their YorkiePoo inside thcar, windows UP- this was my 1st concern- until I found the car was ON, keys in ignition, a/c blowing on dog, BUT owner's Gucci purse, Coach luggage, Von Maur, Sephora, & Gucci shopping bags r in plain sight n the car?! I waited 10 mins, talked 2 an old man similarly extremely concerned about the dog & possibly the owner who suggested we call the cops. I waited another 3 mins before I called 911.Then her dumb blond clueless rear end comes strolling out of a store. So I had to again call the cops to say nevermind, it was just an idiot & she's back now :/ REALLY?! I mean, I could've robbed her easily & gotten off w a good haul! I talked to her & she said "thanks" but telling her she's an idiot wasn't going to get me anywhere. Women...pls have some drat sense!!!!!! I get angry when stupid ppl suck up my precious time.

I hate people. :psyduck:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The person's a moron because she left a lot of valuable poo poo in plain sight in an unlocked car with the keys in the ignition in a shady part of town.

edit: yes my friend overreacted a bit and her typing is obnoxious, but the girl is still an idiot.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow poops off in the woods/brush where I don't have to pick it up. :smug: I still carry a baggy in my wallet for those rare occasions he can't hold it in more public areas.

Since I've been dogsitting/walking my mentor's two dogs, a malamute mix and a GSD mix, in her more urban neighborhood, though... :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Despite being an old man, Shadow can jump up onto the porch like it's nothing. That thing is at least 4.5 feet tall, if not almost 5.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought those of you with Kong-loving dogs or who work in shelters that use Kongs would dig this post about Stuffing Kongs Quickly.

The rest of that blog is a good read too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mentor's dogs gave no fucks about the noises. :downs:

Oh Amy. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Speaking of killing ants, my mentor's house seems to have a minor infestation... I learned the hard way that I absolutely cannot leave any of the dog food down any longer than necessary and frankly I'm scared to leave them with any peanut butter Kongs now. My mentor is not the cleanest lady in the world, but she's been really stressed and burnt out lately so I thought it'd be nice if I cleaned her place up for her while she's gone.

Are there any decent ant-killing products that are safe for dogs that I can just go out and buy? I can't really afford to actually get some pest control people in here or anything.

Also spiders... so many spiders... in literally every corner, almost... thank god I'm not arachnophobic. I refuse to ever live in a really old house.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well drat, her bedroom is where they're coming from and that's carpeted. :( I'll keep it in mind for the kitchen though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm not positive where they're coming in. Could either be her bedroom window or the tiny storage area attached to her room which is... pretty gross, and cluttered. Honestly what this house really needs is some remodeling but of course that's not happening.

I hear salt will kill them...? :confused:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I might give those a shot then, depending on how much they cost. The dogs don't seem interested in eating the ants and it doesn't seem like a huge infestation... I hope.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
We're guilty of having a Freya but that's the boyfriend's fault. I wanted to name her Runa. :colbert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow was obviously the least creative thing I've ever named a pet (well, okay, except for Ms. Kitty). I confused him for the shadow of a tree one night and so it stuck. My sister wanted to name him Aries. Whatever, Shadow's convenient and simple I guess.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
edit: ^^^ It's also funnier because Delta is manlier than Sigma. :iamafag:

TVs Ian posted:

And speaking of, we keep obsessively taking video of him and Tonka but I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

Hey, we'll tell you when we've had enough, until then, keep 'em comin'. :colbert:

Oh, and more on names, my snake is named Apep and my fish is named Bruce Campbell.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm pretty much with adventure in the sandbox. I don't like it, I think it's really unfair to the dogs, but I can understand being really into a sport and really needing a good dog for it (just don't treat it like some disposable performance machine). Not something I could ever do.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I would be all over a GSD thread (maybe lump the Belgian Shepherds in there too?). There's already a corgi thread, it's only fair. :colbert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm with notsoape. You've been awesome to him so far, but there's a point when it's best not to draw things out unnecessarily. I think your current plan is fine.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22857203

I want that dooooog... :qq:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She's like Shadow's prick-eared twin, structurally, with a more shepherd face. But she doesn't do well with cats and it'll be a while before I'm ready for another dog. :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was waiting for it too. :ohdear: Anyway...

This gorgeous dog is Nona. I see her in the park sometimes and I am going to steal her because her owner, despite being a very nice fellow, exercises her by letting her out of the truck (with no collar) and making her run after the truck around the road in the park. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Happy birthday, Kiya. :3:

TVs Ian posted:

Steal that dog so fast that the idiot won't even have time to hit the brakes on his truck before he notices she's gone.

Not really but still. Why is he asking for that pretty dog to get lost or killed any day now?

I have no idea. Mind you this is a pretty public park, so she's whizzing around curves past pedestrians, other dogs, cyclists... It's a two-lane road, a one-way lane for traffic and the other land for people/cyclists, so at least she doesn't have two-way traffic to watch out for, but still... I remember she came whizzing by me so fast one day, she was hauling rear end after that truck. Seemed like she may even enjoy it. But it's still stupid as all fuckin' hell and makes me sad.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He was a much older, gray-haired guy, I doubt he's up for that. I should have at least told him that if he ever ever ever had to get rid of her to contact me no matter what. :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I can see the resemblance, though Shadow certainly has a bigger snout I think.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah most of PI is totally pro-pet dyeing. You're not gonna do any damage with some Kool-Aid and GOD DAMNIT, CAT, I FEED YOU AND SCOOP YOUR POOP, YOU OWE ME.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have little to no grooming knowledge, but it was my understanding that shaving dogs is just largely unnecessary and the coat is designed to trap cool air against the skin in the summer. I don't think sunburn is really as huge an issue as some people think unless you're talking your dog hiking all day. I don't doubt shaving it gives certain dogs some relief, if only from the weight of the coat being gone, but eh. I don't know for sure, but it'd be fun to find out a more definitive answer on the matter.

When Shadow lived with my mom, she had him shaved for summer once. I don't recall it making much of a difference other than him looking stupid, but Shadow's pretty adaptive to various temperatures.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow's life consists of napping, sometimes eating, and walks. That's it, not really exciting enough to outline. :saddowns:

ATTN: ToastFaceKiller

They finally have the Bullies and Chrome shirt kind of ready to go, it's not 100% complete, but here it is: http://i.imgur.com/FS7l9.jpg

If you would like a free one please PM me your size and address. :)

For those not in the know, TFK was super nice enough to draw a picture for our t-shirt for an upcoming event. :3: You should all buy one. :colbert:

(And yes I know our website kind of sucks, we don't have an actual fancy website person.)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
For those who follow Kikopup and care, her girlfriend's adopting an abandoned lurcher puppy, which means lurcher training videos soon. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Whoa, adventure in the sandbox, I think I found what Siggy's problem is: Littermate Syndrome. I'd never heard of it before, it's really interesting.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Rixatrix posted:

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting it!

I've heard of something similar happening when a (hobby/home/small scale) breeder decides to keep one of her own puppies at home with the mom. I don't think the results are quite that dramatic, but the puppies raised with their mothers do seem to mature a lot later and often seem less assertive and a bit helpless when they have to solve problems on their own. Normally this doesn't happen to a problematic extent, but it's something you need to pay attention to if you want the pup to grow up to be a sports/working dog.

That seems to make sense, and it would definitely explain one of my mom's pugs. But since he's a pug it doesn't really matter so hey.

edit: An acquaintance messaged me on Facebook with this message:

Acquaintance posted:

i wanted to see if fish oil would help Domo with his skin problems. I read a few sites and they said it was ok to give them fish oil made for humans but i don't really know a whole lot on what ingredients can be harmful to dogs. All but #4 is liquid.

Fish oil #1 has : All Natural Flavoring, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, and Ascorbyl Palmitate.

Fish oil #2 has: Natural lemon flavor, rosemary extract, ascorbyl palmitate, natural tocopherols.

Fish oil #3 has: Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Stevia

Fish oil #4 has: Gelatin, Glycerine, Riboflavin Color, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener), Vitamin E, Enteric Coating (Cellulose, Sodium Alginate, Medium Chain Triglcerides, Oleic & Stearic Acid)

Domo is a dog. I haven't the slightest clue, does anyone have a better idea?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Thanks for the fish oil input, guys.

Also, apparently Ginny has a twin for adoption in my area:

• Locked thread