Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

If they don't use Bitch and Dog, I usually see breeders say Sire and Dam. Some of my favorites even use Mother and Father (and even Grandparents). v :) v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I want all of the Shibas. :colbert:

Okay, not really. There are quite a few of them that would make me tear my hear out and punt to the curb, but I do want at least one well bred one, like from Katai or Hi-Jynx or Roscka. I also need an Akita and hubs agrees, so that might be our next dog after we get a house. :3: He wants a Pom and probably another Eskie at some point, but he honestly doesn't care as much as I do and loves Shibas and Akitas too, so... vOv

Dream dog besides all of the Shibas and Akitas? I want a Kai Ken, and one that I could take hunting. :swoon: I should probably learn how to hunt...

We both agree two dogs is a pretty good dynamic, but we wouldn't be adverse to three permanents and a rotating fourth foster slot.

In short, I'm pretty sure we're just going to have primitive breeds, since we can't stand needy breeds.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

For me, one dealbreaker is the long, double coat that you see with Spitz and such. Another is extreme brachycephaly. Also I have no interest in most of the A/KC terrier breeds. American Cocker Spaniels creep me out a little, as do Affenpinschers

Now you :colbert:

HERE. HAVE ALL OF THE FUR. :v:

Koji has decided that one coat blow this season was not enough. :smithicide: I'm so glad I have a good vacuum and a dog that likes to be brushed...

Dogs I'd never own? Schnauzers (UUUGH!), King Charles Cavs, Poodles, Dalmations, Danes. Mastiffs, Bulldogges (American or English or Pibbles....), most terriers... v:shobon:v

If it's not a Spitz, I'm generally not interested. Corgis are kind of cool, but a bit of work, and I don't want to say no to labs since if I do get into hunting I might want one of those or a setter, but yeeeeeah.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

I honestly don't like their personalities too much, or at least the ones I've met. I know schnauzers aren't really the same, either, but uuugh, my in-laws' dog and the dog of the boy I nanny are both so clingy and their wet beards get all over me and feel gross. :( I also don't like the feeling of their coats one bit.

There is one terrier thing in my building named Captain and I'd probably steal him in a heartbeat because he's pretty great, but I find him the exception rather than the rule.

I guess they're just not my thing. Give me a gently caress you dog that clumps fur on everything I love. I should buy stock in lint rollers...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

:colbert: All other breeds are just inferior and that's all there is to it. :colbert:

What I think is funny is we are all stuck on our particular breed of primitive. Like, I'd never own a Shiba in a million years. But I would have all the huskies and malamutes. All of them.

:cool::hf::cool:

I like Huskies and Mals, too (my friend's was the biggest, sweetest "woooooowooooo" dog :3:) but eh. I'd rather have an Akita. v:shobon:v

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is awesome. Good luck, keep us updated, etc etc. We're starting to make our 2-3 year puppy plan. I have strong reason to believe that it ends with us getting an Akita from that breeder in LA PFox loves.

!!!!! :arghfist::( Man we need a house...

I also found another I'm all :h: about, too. She specializes in red brindles. :3: http://www.kaijukennels.com/

Though after meeting Bear, I still can't decide if I want a JA or AA. Just look at that concerned face.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Solution: get both!

...I like the way you think, Shifty. :c00lbert:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Also while I love big dogs, I'm not sure I'd want to own one. Having to pick up the huge piles of poo poo at work is enough. Don't know if I'd want a dog that leaves a pile of poo poo the size of a baseball.

Hahaha, well drat, KOJI has poops around the size of a baseball on a good day... I think there's only been a few occasions where I couldn't fit his poo poo in a bag because I think he held it a few days and filled up a hollow leg or something because goddamnit dog, you are only 25 lbs.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pff, I named my dog after mold. :smug:

.......wait.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My parents' neighbors have a big lanky BYB yellow lab named Bilbo. I asked them if they liked Lord of the Rings and they had no clue what I was talking about :psyduck:

That's okay, my BiL wants to literally name everything Blibo. Their computer, his phone, one of the turtles, and possibly a future dog. He jokingly tried to name one of their kids Bilbo, too, but luckily for my sister they had all girls. :j:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:staredog: give him to meeeee~!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I've never commented when PI folks get up in arms about shaving double coated breeds, but it always confused me. It'll grow back.

I've heard in PI that shaving a double-coater will ruin the coat. How? I would like to see pictures or a description of what a coat ruined by shaving looks like. I'm very curious. I don't think I would shave a dog ever, maybe the belly like RazorBunny's friend. But enquiring minds want to know!

Basically the coat could come back in feeling broken, I've felt guard hairs not grow back properly leaving mostly undercoat or you can deal with a lot of ingrown hairs etc if you shave it too closely, and it generally takes a few shedding cycles to get back to normal, which is important since the coat also keeps the protected against other things such as bugs and brambles. But really, the undercoat is an insulator, which works for both heat and cold. In the heat it is important to keep the dogs well cooled and hydrated, but I'm in the camp that should leave the coat in tact, it does a pretty good job itself for growing in an appropriate amount in the warmer (and colder) months, from all the dogs I've experienced here in Texas (where we broke the record for most days over 100 in the same year and were one day short for breaking the record of days in a row. Last year suuuuuuuuuucked.) Is the dog going to die and get sunburned and skin cancer? No. Do they look dumb? Sure. Should you do it? I never recommend it, but to each their own. vOv But I mean, dogs who are shaved for surgery seem to be okay when their coats grow back in, though it generally takes a while to get back to normal length and texture.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Hahaha. Koji's is (when one of us is actually home for the day):

7:30 - "Go away. Sleeping."
8:00 - "Go away. Sleeping."
9:30 - "gently caress YOU Go away. Sleeping." *walks out of bedroom to go to the other bed in the living room*
9:45 - "Walk time? I like walks, but first, let me sample everything in my breakfast I didn't want an hour ago."
10:00 - "I POOPED ON THE WALK AND NOW IT IS TIME FOR CRAZY RUNNING IN THE LIVING ROOM BARKBARKBARKBARKBARK"
10:15 - ??? - "Go away. Sleeping."
6:30 - "Give me your food~"
6:45 - "You did not give me food, so I will demand my own by ringing my food bowl."
7:00 - 10:00 - "Go away. Sleeping."
11:00 - 1:30 - "SOMEONE IS STILL UP TIME TO BARK AND TRY TO PLAY WHAT ARE NEIGHBORS?!"

Days at the dog park usually end with "I smell awesome now." and he's out for the rest of the day.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Don't know how many of you guys browse GBS, but this was posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

Shiba Inu puppy cam!

:eng101: For those not in the know, this is Ayumi's first litter and she is from SFShiba's very first puppy cam litter and their fourth overall. Ayumi's mom has retired from having puppies (three litters) and most of their dogs have done very well with health testing and shows.

They've also been really sweet and started networking our rescue a little. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Didn't upload the pictures from yesterday, so here they are today!

First dude is a Shiba Inu, I think. Check out those eyebrows. :3:

That is one happy, handsome Shiba. :3: Looks like he probably had a good wag donut going on.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

TVs. No really. Give me that puppy. :catstare:

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I'm sure I know the answer but do the Shibas from Ustream already have potential adopters? Cause Green collar and Cream girl are soooo cute and I would go broke adopting them. :3:
http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

Yeah, usually they are all spoken for before the litter hits the ground. :3: I know a few years back, they were part of a Shiba group on LiveJournal before they had any means of communicating/contacting with them. I asked them some questions about their dogs and they just kind of freaked out at me, wondering how I got that account info. Never said anything when I told them they posted on LJ about their dogs, I figured I could ask them stuff. In retrospect, I think they might have just been harassed by someone, it was way back with the A team.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Hey guys, question.

We have a foster in our rescue right now that has severe confinement anxiety. As in, he chewed down literally all of his teeth to little stubs on crate and gate bars over his life. He is okay in the crate with the door open and will go in himself sometimes, but close the door and it is instant panic mode (I know this can be worked on.) His new foster home is having a hard time getting him to settle in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep (he is fine during the day). Between 2 and 5 in the morning he is pacing and digging on the tile, carpet and sheet rock and starting to cause some damage and they don't want to keep him around if he is going to keep causing damage to their rental, which I completely understand. He even had an accident in the middle of one of these. He is going to the vet this week, but in the meantime anything we can tell him to help out his foster? Anything we should check with the vet?

He holds everything in just fine during the day and he gets taken out before bed and after they wake up. For the few days he was with me, he mostly just wanted out of the bedroom, but then he'd go paw at the food container or dig in the carpet until I told him enough times to knock it off, but three days of no sleep really got to me and I feel for the guy (and gave him some warning). He's tried both door being open and closed and usually finds he will sneak off somewhere to dig because he wants outside (under the bed, in a closet, in another room etc.)

Do you think talking to the vet about some drugs are in order to help him calm down? He's a very on edge dog to begin with and gets startled by some strange things. For example, Koji was sitting near me on the couch and Murdock came up and fell asleep. 5 minutes later, he seemed to have forgotten Koji was even there, woke up, and snapped at him. I was watching them the whole time, neither Koji or I moved at all, he just suddenly got startled and snapped. Same with petting, he will allow you to come up and pet him but then will suddenly snap if you go too fast (which is why the family with the new baby gave him up in the first place. He's extremely touchy around his neck and shoulders due to using a shock collar.) His eyes were slightly cloudy but not bad and he can hear just fine as far as we could tell. Murdock is 8.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yes, that sounds like some pretty severe anxiety (especially randomly snapping at people) and a vet with behavior experience could really help a lot. For now you could try a DAP diffuser or collar to take the edge off. Poor old man :(

Thanks IJ. I was hoping you might ring in on this. He is at the vet now, we'll know what they say later tonight. He apparently did better last night after even more wearing out and some training (the foster home already taught him to shake. :3: They closed all the doors and he actually ended up sleeping in his bed all night, no digging, so hopefully this is the first step to him not freaking out.)

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does it cost you to keep Major on his meds?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Major takes 1 and a half pills of generic 50 mg sertraline a day (he's 80 lbs) and I get a 45 day supply for $10 at a regular person pharmacy. My behaviorist looked around for the best deal for me though. At wal-mart his meds cost over $40 for the same amount so just look around for the place with the best generic prescription deal if your vet will write him a script and not make you fill it there. The dog specific pills cost way more for the exact same thing so its good to know your options.

Hopefully he's turning a corner and just needs some time to adjust. If he's been moved around a lot he might just be reacting poorly to all the change and will be able to work things out without meds.

Thanks! Apparently when they went to go pick him up, the vet had already written down she recommended they try Prozac for him before he had a chance to mention it (I believe they dropped him off all day for them to see how he behaved) The vet is going to call and talk to the foster about it today. It can't be fun to be him and stressed out all the time. :(

This thread is getting sad. :smith:

Have a smug Koji.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Heh, my friends cat once climbed up on the counter, somehow wrestled the upper cabinets open, and got down a loaf of sourdough bread. Which he then proceeded to eat half of in the middle of the night. Also, artichokes.

Koji on the other hand will do anything for broccoli and jicama. :iiam: You also can't ever EVER have popcorn all to your self. One of the only times he'll actually willingly crawl up into your lap.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Super, you know what must be done.

vvvvv Exactly. :colbert: vvvvv

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 26, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Whelp, it's usually pretty quiet around our place regarding fireworks. SoCal is a different story and apparently freaks Koji the gently caress out. Oh boy, this should be a fun week. :(

In other news, this popped up in my facebook today. The caption read something like: Why does Spot ignore me after his summer cut? QQ

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I think the picture is from Taiwan? I don't really know, one of my fb friends who speaks Chinese was translating it on a breeder's "wtf" share. v:shobon:v

BONUS~!

A webpage for a online Shiba breeder. http://www.myshiba.com/Shiba-Inu-Shedding

:downs: posted:

Do Shiba Inus Shed?
One of the most common asked questions we receive is if Shiba Inus shed a lot. Majority of people have the misconception that they do since there are numerous articles on the Internet stating that they do. However, we would disagree with that statement.

They have 25 breeding females and 5 studs. :psyduck:

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 3, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Whelp, I just found out Koji does not care for fireworks one bit. We for some reason don't have any neighbors in the Dallas areas we've lived that has ever set off fireworks or bottle rockets or anything so we've never seen him react to them before.

I wrapped him in his thundershirt with plenty of dap, gave him a chewie in his crate, covered it with a dap blanket and closed all the windows and doors. Came home from a short run out to dinner to my dog covered in blood and crying from the noises since he tried to dig his way out of the crate and ended up splitting pretty much every nail. The room just smelled like blood as soon as you opened the door :( I had to hold him very tight until they stopped a little after midnight before I could get him to calm down and let him go. I guess I need some acepromazine for next time, 1/2 a pill calmed him right down the first firecracker he heard when my friend was watching him last weekend.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

So I get back from vacation (I have some great pictures, like doggie date with rivals and Koji not amused at the beach :haw:) to get Murdock the cray cray foster from hell as soon as I step foot out of the car, essentially. He's now on Prozac, melatonin, a DAP collar and I gave him some acepromazine for him to sleep through the night. While trying to corral him gently into the crate last night (much like I stood in front of him to not run out the door while trainedbyshibas was leaving), he decided he wasn't suddenly :catdrugs: out of his doggy mind and bit me multiple times on the foot before latching onto my pants.

I'm lucky he doesn't have teeth, but ow, man! :(

He has the rest of the week to try and mellow out, but this might be his last chance. What a way to end vacation and come back to this.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

GUYS.

I may or may not have just sent out a serious puppy inquiry. Oh god what have I done? :ohdear:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

As much as I wish to say Akita, we still rent. So, Shiba.

With the way our work schedules are now (I work from home most of the day now), and for the future, it looks like timing might be right for a puppy to come to us between now and next year. I haven't gotten what I've wanted from several of the fosters we've had, and we will still be able to foster, plus we've been getting more foster volunteers that I feel comfortable enough to entertain the idea if we decide to take a short foster hiatus.

Though I have to say, our trip to the dog beach we met the best Klee Kai, and it went against every fiber of my being to shout I needed one. But I refuse. :catstare:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Dem whiskers is right! That cat is so luxurious! :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

uuuuughghgguihg omg. Koji recently did that with the biggest, nastiest cockroach. Never had roaches before, never want to, only ever seen the one on Murdock's box of stuff, so we're hoping it was a fluke.

Of course hubs and I are both equally babies about roaches. So there was a lot of freaking out and being whimps about it while trying to figure out how to get rid of the thing without coming near or touching it. Of course Koji was also a little freaked out by it, would watch it, but wouldn't eat it. Same with crickets and junebugs. Why do you only eat moths?! :cry:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, I have left soo many doglady listservs and forums because of that poo poo. I feel bad for that vet. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Sometimes Koji is the hardest loving dog to get up. You can even pick him up to set him on his feet and if he doesn't want to wake up and go he will go deadweight and just lay back down in bed (read:thump back in bed). Sometimes he'll get out really excited for something but other times we have to literally shove or practically toss him on his feet to get him up. v:shobon:v

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Oh man, after looking at those two albums, Super, I totally agree. I liked him before the beefening (I could be biased, though, I tend to like Koji's slim structure more than other Sheebs, but I do know that's because he was neutered at an extremely early age...) At least he is still a very Good Dog. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rawrr posted:

Sorry to interrupt the gross mouse chat, but what have people's experiences with leather leashes been?

Have been using nylon with a padded handle, and thinking of classin' it up with leather, but I was wondering if they will end up getting smelly and stinky, especially after getting wet.

I've had a leather set for Koji for a while and I love it. The inside of the handle of the leash and his collar are lined with a suede for padding and is so comfortable to use, though it did take some time to break in the leather.

I don't recommend leather ever getting wet, so if you know the dog is going to go out and swim or be in the rain or whatever, I'd definitely switch to nylon for that outing (I have a nylon collar and leashes for fosters or Koji when it's hot or like, when we went to the beach.) Now my set has gotten wet before, but all it did was slightly stain Koji's neck a little redder and other than that, no smell. You can use a leather cleaner and a stiff brush to keep it looking nice, though.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

HookShot posted:

Hahah I didn't realize just how many dogs scare themselves with their own farts!

Oh man, Koji does, too.

Farts aren't funny. Dog farts are loving hilarious.

The best story I have is Koji had a pretty farty night a few months ago, luckily all sound no smell that night. But he farts, wakes himself up, stands up, turns around to look at his butt. The motion of turning toward his butt caused him to fart in his own face. This then caused Koji to try and run away from his butt, while farting again. I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing at him so hard.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

That's amazing. :allears: A dog who farts in he own face. A shameful dog.

Also I kept wanting to call the shiba at work Koji, instead of his name. I had to keep catching myself from doing it. Get out of my head, paisley! :mad:

:colbert: Never.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I don't like that harness, it gets loose a little quickly (a friend of mine owns one. Her dog is not an escapist so it works, but we wouldn't trust it on a wiggly dog.)

Maybe try one where the collar is already attached to the harness? I've seen cute custom ones made but I can't remember the name of the company and the only one I could find when googling is this one (though it looks pretty awesome.)

http://www.wayfair.com/RuffWear-Web...CFSVvTAod1GYAqw

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My friends have chinchillas and a huge habitat for them in their living room. They had to start putting mesh up on the sides of the enclosure to stop so much poop getting flung out of the cage by what she likes to call her "poop rats."

One of their dogs thinks chili turds are possibly the greatest treats ever. :|

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Deets indeed. :allears:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Here is an album:
http://imgur.com/a/Eb1oc
(the second to last picture is of a BAD DOG :mad: )

He has the taste for blood now. What is done cannot be undone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXLU-cRaCGg

:saddowns:

• Locked thread