Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

TVs Ian posted:

That is all so awesome, yay for adopting older dogs!

And yes, I realize nothing obligates that we need to politely decline any furry adoption applications but still....I feel badly saying to things......rudely.

Anyhow, rest assured we will not let this puppy be harmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrstmpHn7k

Seriously the cutest puppy I've ever seen. I have no idea how you guys are not going insane with that many dogs, plus a puppy.

Lucy is still my favorite :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
I think it is likely that someday I will have 4 dogs. All small.

Breeds I want to own:
Shih Tzu (Apple is Shih Tzu/Maltese)
Maltese
Long Hair Chi
Yorkie
Cavalier
Toy Poodle
Pug
Japanese Chin
Saluki
French Bulldog
Russian Toy

Non-dog things:
English Budgie
Gouldian Finch

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Someday I will have a tiny chihuahua male and I will name him Moose

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
I named my first animal at 5. His name was Colorpaws and he was a barncat. In my defense his paws were grey and white. My dad named the cat that came with our property- Mousebreath.
After I bought Apple I had no idea what to name him. I liked Buddy or Charlie but they didn't fit. On the road home there was a sign for an apple maggot quarantine. Apple fit because he was from the country...and it fit him perfectly. Riley came with her name and it fit her as well

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
That mill dog rescue site is so awesome. It's very good I'm not close to Colorado or else I'd adopt this girl, who is a spot-on female version of Apple:
http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Shih-Tzu-15954807

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Oh my god, I'm so sorry. How terrible :smith: At least he got a proper burial.

Apidae posted:

Dogsitting till the end of the month :buddy:

Ok, this is the cutest dog I've ever seen.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
What? Also, when are you getting Moses neutered? Or will you not do it at all?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Apple HATES when I fart. If he is anywhere near me when I do it, he will get up, give me a look of utter disgust, and move a few few away. I have never heard of a dog hating farts. Dogs are supposed to love stinky smells.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
I thought male torties were not possible?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
It's a purse?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
That boston was gorgeous. The poor black and tan looked like it just wanted cuddles :ohdear:

Thanks for sharing, I love looking at how breeds have changed

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
What was that "Boston" then? Some sort of bully thing?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
What a silly dog :3: I have a feeling that she will be best buds with the kid once she's old enough.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Super, did you try looking for similar pictures on google? I wonder if that sort of thing happens often in other mice or rats.

I also would love to see this amazing grossness

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Chido posted:

Paint me like one of your French girls.

I admit that I find this so bizarre. Does she want belly scratches?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Oh no....I'm sorry Super :(

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Jesus :smith:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
What's wrong with the chihuahua? It it just fat or old or something? :(

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Here is something happy: Apple killing a kleenex.
Derp

This is the only toy he will play with. He doesn't eat any of the pieces thankfully. We first discovered him doing it a year or 2 ago and I started encouraging him to do it because it was so drat funny. He roots around in the trash bin by my side of the bed for tissues. Once I heard him growling so quietly while killing it :3: :3: I've made it into a sort of game. After I use the kleenex to wipe away eye boogers I let him have at it. I think he is happy he doesn't have to sneak around doing it now.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

wtftastic posted:

Football season is going to be rough on my dog. I was watching a preseason game and shouted about something and he acted like the most traumatized dog.

Yeah, my dogs had to get over my boyfriend yelling and jumping around while watching basketball. He will probably do the same with football. Poor bastards can't get a break.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Didn't know there was such a thing as dog brownies.

Riley is shedding quite a bit right now. I really thought I had a brush for her, but I guess I haven't gotten her one yet. What would be the best option for getting all the loose hair off a tiny chihuahua? I am concerned that most brushes would be too big and not very useful for her. Should I be looking for something for a cat? :)

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

paisleyfox posted:

I forget, how long haired is Riley? Personally, I like zoom grooms and a shedding rake, but definitely look for toy dog/cat sized. :)

And yeah, they make "pupcakes" and cookies and brownies and whoopie pies etc at this dog bakery. They have regular baked goods to wheat free things and it's all kept cold and dense as poo poo. For example, the box of treats fell off my friend's lap into the foot well of the car and rolled around. That brownie is how it looked coming straight out of the box after that. It's kind of funny to watch Koji try to dive into it to not get much of anywhere and try to chew it. Usually takes him a while and I have to either cut it into much smaller pieces or watch him to make sure he doesn't try to hork it and choke and die. :toot:

Riley has a very short coat. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I think I'll just get a furminator. I had one when I had my cat and I loved the thing. I assume there is no difference between the one meant for cats vs the one for dogs? I will want to look at it before I buy it obviously, but if there isn't one small enough for dogs I guess I'll go with the cat one?

Skizzles- that really sucks :( Is there a chance that the daycare dogs could catch the parvo from the puppies? If a dog has been vaccinated, can they still get really sick? God, if I was a customer there I would be pretty upset. I would be so worried about my dogs catching something. It seems odd to me that the cats also were sick. Is this common for rescue groups or were the animals just not tested when they were first brought in?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Invalid Octopus posted:

Guess where my uncle's girlfriend wants to get a puppy from? DiamondDoodles!. They have a problem with the phrase "puppy mill".

Yikes, that's a large amount of puppies available. Is it bad that they are a commercial breeder? It definitely sounds bad.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Justin Sane posted:

so after being a complete retard, I've resized my picture. This is one of my Cocker/Cavalier mixes, Rascal. He's about 3 1/2 now.

He is super cute :3: What other dogs do you have? What made you pick this mix? I've never seen this combination before.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Fraction posted:

:shobon: I just want to join in the PI goonmeets! I'm pretty sure there's a higher chance of meeting a celeb in rural Ohio than anywhere outside of a major city in England though.

Awesome photos of your awesome dog :3:

e:
Has everyone seen the comic by Mjaulm on the thread in which Dabbo and A Sleepy Budgie got Dabbo's cat out of a crappy situation? It's pretty awesome.

!!!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I hadn't read that thread in a long time. This is honestly the best thing ever :dance:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Yeah, I would be telling the owner of that dog that their dog is being abused and to go somewhere else and then just walk out and never come back.

I understand why you are so frustrated. I wouldn't put up with that poo poo. But then I don't have a baby....

You deserve better and so do these dogs and their owners.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Pew! Pew! posted:

Okay I THINK I got this Petco stuff. Going in for an interview tomorrow. My major issue is just anxiety, but I have no issue selling ~precious baby rodents~ as feeders and the like, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I GOT THIS.

I just want to make sure they start getting sick animals off the floor, but I don't think a single one has training regarding small animal health so it's no wonder. Hey as long as I can be in my own little spergy rodent-n-bird world I think I'll be okay. And I'll improve their customer service just by existing so that helps!

The anxiety is because, well, this is my first job. Ever. I'm 21. :gonk:

You will do great. We all have to start somewhere :) My only word of advice is to not become a crazy adopt-everything-that-needs-a-home person because that's what I did and ended up with a house full of animals.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Skizzles posted:

Am... am I the only pit bull advocate who does not give a poo poo about Pit Boss or Pit Bulls & Parolees? :( I'm sure they do some good stuff for dogs and all that but the shows are just loving stupid.

Shorty Rossi is coming to another event here in Louisville, at which I have to volunteer, and of course everyone's making GBS threads their pants over it.

I would occasionally watch the pit boss and I thought shorty rossi was pretty cool. But then I added him on my fb and he posts pictures of his pets. His dogs are all fat and he takes HORRID care of his pet birds. They are all in tiny cages...all sorts of finches, parakeets, tiels, parrots too. And they all eat a seed diet. I actually responded to one of his pictures that he needs to read up on bird care...

So yeah, I think he is an idiot now. But Hercules is pretty cute.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Horrah for Moses and Frankie!

uggghhh you guys. A local pet store just recently closed. Its been in the area for many years and it was the closest pet store to where I lived growing up. It is very very very awesome that it closed because it was a horrible place with too many birds in one cage and sold puppies etc etc. It is sort of a big deal because a few months back the owners of the store went bankrupt (or maybe it was the landlord???) Either way the IRS shut it down. Although the store was closed to the public, supposedly the employees still came by once a day to feed the animals, but the evidence is mounting that the animals were abandoned for up to a few weeks. 4 days ago the landlord changed the locks, owners were like "oh well, can't get in to feed the animals not my problem anymore". Landlord enters building, finds lots of dead animals (don't really know what/how many yet). People and rescue groups come in, take in/buy remaining animals. Landlord opens store for a few days to sell off the rest of the crap inside.

My bf and I went by, just to see what they had. I mostly wanted to see it one more time before it was gone. Yes, it was a poo poo hole but some of my earliest memories about animals were from this place.

The bf works for a local news station so he has been updating me on what's been going on. It is frustrating at the moment because not enough info is available (and credible) to be reported on yet. The facebook comments are definetely a thing. I know some of what is being said from people that are helping with the animals are probably true, but the majority of the comments are "my dog came from there it died of parvo why didn't anyone do something" or "[local animal control/welfare] knew about this I called 3345 times a day to tell them about how terrible this place was for 10 years its their fault this happened". I basically started calling everyone an idiot because telling them that animal control can't just shut down a store because 1 dog died of parvo or too many birds are in a cage or something. Besides, no one knew this was happening, even the businesses right next door.

The important thing is that many animals are in the care of rescue groups or at vet clinics. My main concern is for the parrots and other birds. There were many macaws, amazons, greys etc and I really worry about their condition. Also, there was a rumor of someone breaking in and stealing a cockatoo?

Story if anyone is interested

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Oh my god Pew, I am so, so sorry. Please know that this isn't your fault.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Koji is so sassy, goddamn. :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Trophy and LOG are on Buzzfeed's front page!! :3: :3:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/toddler-dresses-as-her-cat

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Pretty gross. Ok, maybe not too gross, but definitely odd.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
I am also very happy about Frankie. :3:

A while back someone posted about a (GSD?) puppy that had a brain that was slowly rotting away or something like that. I ended up adding the rescue group to my fb because they are on the other side of the state from me and the lady takes in some interesting cases.

Anyhow, a dog came in to the rescue yesterday I think. It is a very small husky puppy that was pulled from a shelter somewhere and send up to Vancouver WA. Someone (shelter staff maybe?) thought the dog was blind and deaf so that is why she was sent to the rescue. That wasn't the case at all. She is able to see and hear. However, it turns out that she has the worst case of Wobbler's Syndrome their vet has ever seen. My understanding is that somehow her skull isn't attached to her spinal cord??? I have no idea how this is possible and how the dog is holding her head up. There is nothing they can do for her and she will be put down. Poor thing is in severe pain.

Vet/science people, how is this possible? Is this genetic/from poor breeding or something that just pops up randomly?

http://www.facebook.com/PandaPawsRescue501c3

Oh, they also have a nearly 4 week old puppy that the mother abandoned and is being bottle fed. Its parents are brother and sister because the idiot owners didn't fix their dogs :psyduck:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Found this on fb. One of the local shelters brought one of their dogs over to a school to teach the kids some stuff. The look on this dog's face is priceless. He will never be this happy again. Makes me think this is how Frankie looked when he got out of the yard and that little girl found him :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Oh my god, fluffy bunnies...that poor little guy. That's amazing that you caught him. Every loose dog I've ever tried to catch always runs away from me. Ugh, if I lived near you I would take that guy in a heart beat. I am such a sucker for sad chihuahuas. Why can't Texas and Washington be right next to each other :smith:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Angus is such a handsome boy :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
I'm sorry you had to deal with a total asshat, Pew. It's good for me because when I get into a heated situation with a jerk, I end up crying because people yelling at me reminds me of my father so I basically just shut down. I do get overly angry, but there is just Too Many Emotions for me and my brain overloads. I'm sure I've said it before but when I was working at Petco we had someone abandon a darling giant fluffball of a cat and we didn't notice until like an hour later. People suck, and you need to know what situations to keep yourself out of. The good that can come out of this is that you now know you can't work around animals because you care about them too much.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
ChicNitty, I assume you guys don't have a cat door or anything? Maybe it had some sort of freakish talent for breaking into people's houses and eats all the food and somehow gets out without being caught? What I don't understand is how a fat animal could be stealthy. Did you take any photos of it? I want to see how fat it was. I mean, I've seen morbidly obese squirrels at zoos and parks but I have a hard time seeing anything larger getting that fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Splat posted:

I think you could stretch out Feldman's face and get Amelia:

Ms. Amelia is very beautiful :3: random question, does she act like a cat? Because she looks like she does

• Locked thread